I want to go on record as saying that I am an AVID berry lover. If you've seen any of my posts you will see how I've gone from iPhone to the Storm2, then Droid (cuz Storm2 croaked and no other touch options at the time) and then to the Torch 9850 as soon as it came out. I absolutely love my Torch!

Moving on ... with OS2 for the PlayBook out I finally decided NOW is a good time to get it at rock bottom prices. I was so excited when it arrived! Bridged my Torch, hooked up my Wifi, set up my emails, tested out the browser's flash capabilities, very exciting! And then the morning came where all its shortcomings hit me like a ton of bricks. I left for work, Playbook and phone in tow. Go to app world to get ready to check that out .... it doesn't work unless wifi connected. OK ... next, I go to you tube ..... It doesn't work unless wifi connected. OK ... next, go to rhapsody online to listen to my music (been a subscriber since they began) like I did at home to test my flash ... it doesn't work unless wifi connected! GREAT ! At this point I'm completely confused. Browsing the internet when only bridged is slower and more painful than just using my Torch. Bigger screen is pointless if it takes forever. At home I have a computer, no need for a tablet there. At work I have a computer, no need for a tablet there. Maybe my expectations of this tablet being my go-between work and home was unrealistic for my needs??? I figured, well at least let me connect to WIFI and download some apps that are important to me and see what happens.

I get home, am reconnected with my WiFi, and look for ...
    1) Nook books (I am a subscriber and share a Nook) ... not available on the Playbook ... OK
    2) Rhapsody app (it's on my Torch so I'm thinking that's a definite) ... Nope not available either ... OK next,
    3) Pandora, my favorite rhapsody alternative (that I also subscribe to) ... not there either ... REALLY?? Doesn't EVERYONE get Pandora?
    4) Fightin Words (on my Torch and would love a larger screen to play on) ... NADA.
    5) Google Maps ... NO
    6) Hulu (I subscribe to this too), NO.
    7) Netflix (I subscribe to this too), NO.
    8) ANY decent ereader app that is free or low cost since I already subscribe to one, NO.
    9) ANY decent movie app that is free or low cost since I already subscribe to two, NO.

So basically, in the business world if I was all about spreadsheets, presentations, word documents, jotting notes, etc the PlayBook is amazing. Anything else? I'm sure it COULD be amazing but for right now it has some very serious shortcomings FOR ME. I pay for all of those music, movie, TV etc subscriptions so that I have access to these things over the internet when away from its source. I always delayed getting a tablet (would only consider playbook) because my phone was pretty darn great and did most of what I needed. However I'm a firm believer that a phone should be a great phone first and some basics (like email, text, FB). All the other bells and whistles, a tablet!

I was under the impression that the bridging would substitute the WiFi connection at least enough to stream data. I figured I could download some apps that didn't require a Wifi connection to run (like ebooks) and I could still benefit from no WiFi connection. I was wrong in every assumption.

In all fairness, the playbook is an amazing device. It functions fantastically well for what it CAN do. Graphics are excellent. Sound is great! Yeah, I could PAY $20/month for 2gigs tethering to solve some of my issues, but I would likely blow through that in no time (no fault of the Playbook). The whole thing that attracted me to it in the first place was the bridging thinking I could do more with it (my fault).

My personal opinion is that it is really not READY for marketing to the general public and instead should be marketed to businesses for business needs. I am giving mine to a friend who needs it for exactly those purposes. Hate to see it go to waste.

I feel as though RIM's failure to market to the appropriate clientele is what will cause the demise of the PlayBook. I LOVE BERRY, but the PlayBook for me was a tremendous disappointment because I had expectations of it that were completely out of reach ... at least for today ... because of how it was marketed.

Bash me if you must ... this is entirely my own opinion. Hopefully this will help put some realistic thoughts into anyone considering the PlayBook so that it gets purchased and used for the appropriate needs.

Sorry RIM
    yanicmb, Mr.Softberry and conix67 like this.
    03-29-12 11:49 AM
    Don't know what is wrong with yours but most things work using bridge. As far as the apps I thought everyone knows while there are many there isn't the "name" apps some seem to have to have.

Good luck selling it and with your ipad or android.
    03-29-12 11:59 AM
    I will offer you $50.00 for your used PB. Must be in good working order, have the charger and the micro usb cable. All smudges must be removed. Offer good until midnight tonight EST.
    03-29-12 12:10 PM
    Don't know what is wrong with yours but most things work using bridge. As far as the apps I thought everyone knows while there are many there isn't the "name" apps some seem to have to have.

Good luck selling it and with your ipad or android.
    I already successfully sold my Playbook to my best friend who was going to buy one anyway for business needs.

I definitely took complete ownership of not having had all my facts before my purchase and having had unrealistic expectations. Did I not make that clear in my post?? If not, sorry to have misled.

I have absolutely no interest in an iPad or Android tablet, or any other tablet for that matter. Thought my post was clear on that too.

You say "most things work" when bridged. Can you give me some examples? Maybe I jumped the gun but I did try anything that mattered to me more than once and in different ways (app vs internet with bridge, vs internet with Wifi only, vs internet with Wifi and bridge) and found that those things did not. Emphasis on "anything that mattered to me".

If you want to be helpful to someone who MIGHT be misusing or misunderstanding how to properly benefit from the PlayBook, maybe your first reaction should be to offer helpful advice instead of a sarcastic response. Someone who is reading this thread and considering a Playbook won't be convinced of your argument otherwise.

Just sayin ....
    03-29-12 12:11 PM
    Bash me if you must ...

You should know that this was coming.....
    frannip likes this.
    03-29-12 12:19 PM
    To the OP, I like your post. You do hit a few points that RIM has fallen short with.
    For every product there are things that will displease the user, you can't get everything you want out of a product.....or that could be just how I feel.
    You brought up that various programs wouldn't work unless connected to wi-fi, I was not aware of this as I have never tried it. What if you would set up a wi-fi hotspot with your Torch and connecting the PB through that? I am not sure if that would work. I would try this myself......but my PB has been sent back for warranty work right now.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    03-29-12 12:22 PM
    Bridge has been amazing for me as a tether/3g substitute. To the point where the other day, my bb had died and I could not figure out why my internet on my PB wasn't working haha. I forgot I needed my bb's radio.

I leave bridge on always and use it for: scoremobile updates, browser for everything, slacker(sometimes), Magellan Compass(quite often), Newsfeeds updates.

Come to think of it, 90% of my time is using the browser haha. It seems to work for everything, MLS Live streams, ESPN, Blackboard, Box.net, Dropbox, etc etc

The one that I've noticed and wish it would work over bridge is App World.

There may be some specific apps that didn't work over bridge for you, that you need?

Anyways, your gripe seems to be with finding specific apps. Obviously it is just my opinion but there are third party e-readers that work great, other streaming music apps, but if you need those, and expected them then sure.
    frannip and cdelcampo216 like this.
    03-29-12 12:26 PM
    To the OP, I like your post. You do hit a few points that RIM has fallen short with.
    For every product there are things that will displease the user, you can't get everything you want out of a product.....or that could be just how I feel.
    You brought up that various programs wouldn't work unless connected to wi-fi, I was not aware of this as I have never tried it. What if you would set up a wi-fi hotspot with your Torch and connecting the PB through that? I am not sure if that would work. I would try this myself......but my PB has been sent back for warranty work right now.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Excellent suggestion and one that I had thought of already. Unfortunately for me and my "verizon" service, the same cost for mobile hotspot applies as does tethering. I'm SURE that all things I mentioned as being an issue for me, would not be with tethering or mobile hotspot. I was just not willing to pay the price knowing in the end, it would actually end up costing me alot more with my expected usage.

My Torch is a perfect alternative until RIM gets to where I thought they were, which I have no doubt that they will!! I waited this long for email client ... I can wait as long as I need for the rest. I have faith in RIM
    03-29-12 12:28 PM
    OP,
    If those were must have apps, the last tablet you should have gotten was the PlayBook.
    03-29-12 12:30 PM
    But wait, even if you can't use your favorite apps, you still have a great device for internet browsing. Oh the browser crashes frequently? Um... Nevermind.
    sagec likes this.
    03-29-12 12:30 PM
    To Op sorry it did not meet your needs, as others have mention there is a shortish of popular apps for the PB been posted all up & down CB. As for Wifi, were I leave there is no shortish in that , McDonald, Mall, Pub, I can always find it some where.
    Last edited by RoseBud68; 03-29-12 at 12:34 PM.
    03-29-12 12:32 PM
    I find mobile hotspot works much better than bridge. Appworld works fine, and internet browsing is almost as fast as wifi.
    03-29-12 12:34 PM
    Didn't you already know that both Netflix and Hulu weren't supported by the PB before you bought it?

Pandora, the website works just fine. But if you must have the app, you can sideload it. You can also sideload the Google Maps app as well (and Kindle, since you were looking for an ereader).
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    03-29-12 12:34 PM
    But wait, even if you can't use your favorite apps, you still have a great device for internet browsing. Oh the browser crashes frequently? Um... Nevermind.
    Ah, someone fresh from Trollism 101 class trying out what they learned! How cute.
    03-29-12 12:37 PM
    I want to go on record as saying that I am an AVID berry lover. If you've seen any of my posts you will see how I've gone from iPhone to the Storm2, then Droid (cuz Storm2 croaked and no other touch options at the time) and then to the Torch 9850 as soon as it came out. I absolutely love my Torch!

Moving on ... with OS2 for the PlayBook out I finally decided NOW is a good time to get it at rock bottom prices. I was so excited when it arrived! Bridged my Torch, hooked up my Wifi, set up my emails, tested out the browser's flash capabilities, very exciting! And then the morning came where all its shortcomings hit me like a ton of bricks. I left for work, Playbook and phone in tow. Go to app world to get ready to check that out .... it doesn't work unless wifi connected. OK ... next, I go to you tube ..... It doesn't work unless wifi connected. OK ... next, go to rhapsody online to listen to my music (been a subscriber since they began) like I did at home to test my flash ... it doesn't work unless wifi connected! GREAT ! At this point I'm completely confused. Browsing the internet when only bridged is slower and more painful than just using my Torch. Bigger screen is pointless if it takes forever. At home I have a computer, no need for a tablet there. At work I have a computer, no need for a tablet there. Maybe my expectations of this tablet being my go-between work and home was unrealistic for my needs??? I figured, well at least let me connect to WIFI and download some apps that are important to me and see what happens.

I get home, am reconnected with my WiFi, and look for ...
    1) Nook books (I am a subscriber and share a Nook) ... not available on the Playbook ... OK
    2) Rhapsody app (it's on my Torch so I'm thinking that's a definite) ... Nope not available either ... OK next,
    3) Pandora, my favorite rhapsody alternative (that I also subscribe to) ... not there either ... REALLY?? Doesn't EVERYONE get Pandora?
    4) Fightin Words (on my Torch and would love a larger screen to play on) ... NADA.
    5) Google Maps ... NO
    6) Hulu (I subscribe to this too), NO.
    7) Netflix (I subscribe to this too), NO.
    8) ANY decent ereader app that is free or low cost since I already subscribe to one, NO.
    9) ANY decent movie app that is free or low cost since I already subscribe to two, NO.

So basically, in the business world if I was all about spreadsheets, presentations, word documents, jotting notes, etc the PlayBook is amazing. Anything else? I'm sure it COULD be amazing but for right now it has some very serious shortcomings FOR ME. I pay for all of those music, movie, TV etc subscriptions so that I have access to these things over the internet when away from its source. I always delayed getting a tablet (would only consider playbook) because my phone was pretty darn great and did most of what I needed. However I'm a firm believer that a phone should be a great phone first and some basics (like email, text, FB). All the other bells and whistles, a tablet!

I was under the impression that the bridging would substitute the WiFi connection at least enough to stream data. I figured I could download some apps that didn't require a Wifi connection to run (like ebooks) and I could still benefit from no WiFi connection. I was wrong in every assumption.

In all fairness, the playbook is an amazing device. It functions fantastically well for what it CAN do. Graphics are excellent. Sound is great! Yeah, I could PAY $20/month for 2gigs tethering to solve some of my issues, but I would likely blow through that in no time (no fault of the Playbook). The whole thing that attracted me to it in the first place was the bridging thinking I could do more with it (my fault).

My personal opinion is that it is really not READY for marketing to the general public and instead should be marketed to businesses for business needs. I am giving mine to a friend who needs it for exactly those purposes. Hate to see it go to waste.

I feel as though RIM's failure to market to the appropriate clientele is what will cause the demise of the PlayBook. I LOVE BERRY, but the PlayBook for me was a tremendous disappointment because I had expectations of it that were completely out of reach ... at least for today ... because of how it was marketed.

Bash me if you must ... this is entirely my own opinion. Hopefully this will help put some realistic thoughts into anyone considering the PlayBook so that it gets purchased and used for the appropriate needs.

Sorry RIM
    Professional-Grade is my response....the earnings call today should be a homerun...
    03-29-12 12:44 PM
    Heres a link to popular Android apps for PB, in case you didnt find it in the actual section here on CB

Blackberry Playbook Android Apps | Good e-Reader Android App Store - Playbook App Store - We support Kobo Vox, Kindle Fire, Blackberry Playbook and More
    frannip likes this.
    03-29-12 12:45 PM
    I am not a stranger to CB forums and knew of some of the limitations on apps. I really was convinced though that anything on my Torch would at some point be available on the PB. I only recently found out that most of what I already pay and subscribe to was not even a thought for building apps for the PB. So my thinking was, I have them on my phone so I don't need a tablet. Torch wins, LOL (For me).

Again ... this is no fault of PB. There is very little support from App Developers. Can you imagine the PB sales if they were chock full of support for all of those things?? No one would have a chance. RIM needs to work on that to compete in today's tablet market.
    03-29-12 12:47 PM
    How I FAILED to do my research before investing in a tablet.
    03-29-12 12:48 PM
    Ah, someone fresh from Trollism 101 class trying out what they learned! How cute.
    Sorry, but the browser does crash often. I have a Playbook, my daughter has one( I persuaded her to get one instead of android) and her boyfriend has one and they all do it, hope it will get a fix.
    sagec likes this.
    03-29-12 12:55 PM
    PRECISELY!! HAHAHA! But lots of people buy things based on how its marketed/advertised. I did some but not enough research, clearly. What about a newbie who isn't a CB forum professional?? They will be disappointed too. I believe that's what hurting sales.

Then that person, tells their friend, who tells their friend ... and so on. PB gets a bad rap based solely on expectations that it never had the capability to fulfill, all because of poor marketing.

It's sad really.

Sorry, but the browser does crash often. I have a Playbook, my daughter has one( I persuaded her to get one instead of android) and her boyfriend has one and they all do it, hope it will get a fix.
    I never said it crashed. It just works much slower than my phone's browser when bridged, causing me to just refer to my phone.
    Last edited by frannip; 03-29-12 at 12:57 PM.
    jamesjmunro likes this.
    03-29-12 12:55 PM
    Well she shouldn't have to do endless research. At some point the PB will have all apps considered standard. There is a new app, ON AIR that is a last.fm client. Its nice and also a native PB app!

If your no stranger to CB you should have known at least about Netflix and Skype etc. The others are covered by sideloading.

Don't forget about the ability of the native Messages app to bring in contact info from Facebook and LinkedIn. Lots of people really like that it does that!
    jamesjmunro and frannip like this.
    03-29-12 12:56 PM
    lol...investing...it's a small 200-400 dollar purchase. It isn't that big of a deal.
    03-29-12 12:57 PM
    with some apps being 700mb or more (im looking at you Modern Combat 2) im glad App world doesn't function on Bridge, if it did do you know how many people would have ultra high bills for going over their data allowance?

something does puzzle me though...

1) Nook books you "share" a nook... well then Branch out and use the Kobo Ereader that came installed
    2) Rhapsody app, how about getting a 64gb and loading your music on, then stop paying for a subscription?
    3) Pandora, could have been side loaded
    4) Fightin Words oh dear, cant have the exact same game on every device? did you even thing to check out the amazing games like Nova2, Modern combat, Asphalt 6, GT Racing HD, Air Attack, Uno, Rocket Storm, Run in Crowd, Doodle Blast, Runik, Bubble Birds, Pixelated, Switchballs.....
    5) Google Maps.. um... Google Maps works just fine for me? whats your issue?
    6) Hulu should have known this before buying, anyone with the knowledge of 2.0 coming out knows what apps arent availible
    7) Netflix same as with Hulu
    8) ANY decent ereader app Kobo for book, Zinio for apps, Sideload Kindle... theres three right there off the top of my head, and book readers only a dollar
    9) ANY decent movie app... what are you watching them on at the moment?

this last one is my main point really.
    you sold your PB, you dont have another Tablet, and you dont want another tablet. so all you have done, is Drop the playbook and everything it can do, in exchange for nothing, which cant do anything. you still dont have Hulu, Netflix, or anything else you listed, sure you do have Pandora and Rhapsody and fightin words, but you had that regardless of playbook ownership. i really dont understand the point of any of this.

your lack of interest in other tablets says to me that you don't have an interest in ANY tablet, even the PB, you bought it for no real reason, probably regretted spending the money immediately after purchase, and since it didn't replace every other gadget you own (or share???) then you tossed it aside?
    Ousus likes this.
    03-29-12 01:01 PM
    I'm not denying this claim. But there is a much better way of stating this than using sarcasm, which is why I responded the way I did. Btw, my browser has only crashed once on my PB.
    03-29-12 01:01 PM
    You have a 9850. Couldn't you just use wifi hotspot to get your playbook on wifi??

As for the apps, yes it sucks they are not on PB yet. If you were an avid follower you should have known that and stayed away from the PlayBook and gotten a iPad or Kindle Fire.
    03-29-12 01:03 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD