I'm having problems opening documents attachment on my playbook, I have not ruled out cause being operator error so I thought I would ask for proper directions.

I received two word document attachments (83kb each) in my email, I tapped on them which opened the "file name" popup (I did not change the doc name), tapped on OK.....nothing opened. Went to "file manager" found the two documents listed there, highlighted one then hit open and they would not open.

As a test, I downloaded these same word documents to my PC and dropped them in my PB document folder, they opened fine that way.

Also, I received two video attchments both .wmv one 2mb and the other 6mb. The 2mb video played and the 6mb would not. Is there a size limit for these on playbook?

Thanks for any constructive comments.
    Last edited by b147082; 02-24-12 at 08:23 AM.
    02-23-12 10:06 AM
    I have the identical problem except with PDFs. Do not wish to rename, but to open. This is new in 2.0 (which is cool in most all other respects).
    02-23-12 11:16 AM
    I also have exactly the same problem. In the last build (I know there wasn't native PIM), I was able to open attachments without being prompted to save the file. I do not understand the rationale for this as usually attachments should be opened in a temporary folder or cache.

Maybe an oversight in this build but needs fixing
    02-24-12 01:25 AM
    I'm having similar problem but it says attachment "too large" ... but yet I can open it on my Torch ... doesnt make sense to me
    02-24-12 01:28 AM
    I do not have any problem. They open easily. Have not yet tested large files
    02-24-12 01:57 AM
    I had tried one pdf file (2M) and one xls file (200k), both are open well.
    It prompt the name change before open but I did not change.
    I just found these attachment file were located under donwloads folder.
    All looks good now--but would be good to prompt me to save the download file to somewhere;-)
    Last edited by macleon; 02-24-12 at 03:32 AM.
    02-24-12 03:27 AM
    In post #2 above, I was only referring to a PDF attachment. I haven't as yet tried out other formats (DOC, XLS, etc.).

What I found out is the format from only one source gave me problems. I discovered this PDF attachment in File Manager under Documents, but was not able to open it there either (I could open this same attachment on my PC). However, PDFs from other sources (I sent two to myself that I had created directly from Acrobat as well as from a scan off of my HP multifunction printer.

I agree that the idea I may wish to rename it prior to opening makes little sense to me as opposed to selecting a save location. I receive several attachments a week and may need to revert to the Bridge (works as before) rather than "native email".
    02-24-12 09:44 AM
    I found my problem was it wanted me to rename because their were some characters like a coma it didn't like. When I renamed it with a more simple name it opened for me. Try renaming it with a simple name and it might work for you.
    02-29-12 10:22 AM
    I've not had a problem with opening attachments yet. Potentially those .doc files are incompatible with Docs to Go on PB. Try creating a .doc file yourself and sending it to yourself, and open it through PB mail client.
    02-29-12 10:25 AM
    .rtf format as attachments. The Playbook leaves me fully in the dark, how to open it, not even a signal, what went wrong. Completely autistic. It should open in documentsToGo, but this is completely impossible (after a rename, I'm left with the remark, that the document is damaged).
    On my PC, the rtf opens in everything I can think of.

This should be repaired immediately.
    BB is arrogant to prevent the rooting of the Playbook and at the same time brings worthless apps.
    Last edited by demoriginal; 03-06-12 at 06:24 AM.
    03-06-12 06:01 AM
    .rtf format as attachments. The Playbook leaves me fully in the dark, how to open it, not even a signal, what went wrong. Completely autistic. It should open in documentsToGo, but this is completely impossible (after a rename, I'm left with the remark, that the document is damaged).
    On my PC, the rtf opens if everything I can think of.

This should be repaired immediately.
    BB is arrogant to prevent the rooting of the Playbook and at the same time bring worthless apps.
    I have nothing to add other than nice first post. Ever think about asking about it and if anyone knows of a way to do it?

Until it is added you can covert online.
    Free conversion - no download required - Zamzar

Not ideal I know.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 03-06-12 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Add link
    03-06-12 06:24 AM
    When I try to open an attachment of this what I receive "Unable to find the default app"
    03-26-13 01:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD