What kind of routine maintenance should I do to keep my PB humming along?
    Should I just reboot it once a year or something a bit more involved than that?
    06-24-13 12:48 PM
    i wipe mine every few months because i love top performance
    dazzleaj likes this.
    06-24-13 12:52 PM
    Reboot once a year

Wipe or debrick whenever you feel the need.
    dazzleaj likes this.
    06-24-13 01:07 PM
    Here's the various restart methods. Obviously, starting with a clean slate (tablet) every once in a while might help keep it cleaner. Occasionally clear the Browser cache and history might also help.

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.
    dazzleaj likes this.
    06-24-13 03:10 PM
    How often should I change the oil?-shelloilssm.jpg
    pick the flavor which suits your pocket. both are darn good! grease your engine up! ;-)
    thanks
    -paul
    Attached Thumbnails How often should I change the oil?-shelloilssm.jpg  
    dazzleaj and 00stryder like this.
    06-24-13 03:17 PM
    Reboot once a year

Wipe or debrick whenever you feel the need.
    Is this the dreaded and much maligned Security Wipe I see so much about or are there other kinds of wipes? (yes I do understand there are baby wipes for those Really messy problems!)
    I get the idea of the "PlayBrick" but what exactly is debricking?
    I have seen references to a 4 to 5 finger master swipe. What is that all about?
    06-24-13 05:35 PM
    Is this the dreaded and much maligned Security Wipe I see so much about or are there other kinds of wipes? (yes I do understand there are baby wipes for those Really messy problems!)
    I get the idea of the "PlayBrick" but what exactly is debricking?
    I have seen references to a 4 to 5 finger master swipe. What is that all about?
    There are generally 3 RESTART method:

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.

Debrick is when you reload the entire device and OS (versus a Security wipe where only data is cleared off).

Try the Debrick method....

Perform a backup of your pb if you can using Desktop Manager or, at least, manually coping any unique data, photos, voice recordings, documents, etc.

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile
    dazzleaj likes this.
    06-24-13 07:23 PM
    There are generally 3 RESTART method:

To REBOOT:

Debrick is when you reload the entire device and OS (versus a Security wipe where only data is cleared off).

Try the Debrick method....

Perform a backup of your pb if you can using Desktop Manager or, at least, manually coping any unique data, photos, voice recordings, documents, etc.

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile
    I assume (always dangerous) that the backup will replace all apps and settings after debricking? Is that a separate operation or automatically done as part of the debricking process?

Sorry for the nubie questions but this isn't intuitive at all! Are there any potential disasters to watch out for like installing the Bridge upside down or cross threading the OS?
    06-24-13 11:00 PM
    Backup and Restore can be accomplished either through the somewhat older Desktop Software or the newer Link software. And you can selectively backup or restore Settings and Apps and Media (check me on that). I generally backup and restore Manually for all of my data/media. There is NO selective backup and restore for separate apps - all or nothing. You can generally restore apps (that have not changed in price) using BBWorld and finding UNinstalled and putting them back, one by one (tedious, as it restoring gigs of data).

Debrick is merely reloading the OS. The limitation is that generally you still need wifi to complete the OS install. Any restoration is a separate process.
    dazzleaj likes this.
    06-25-13 12:34 AM
    Backup and Restore can be accomplished either through the somewhat older Desktop Software or the newer Link software. And you can selectively backup or restore Settings and Apps and Media (check me on that). I generally backup and restore Manually for all of my data/media. There is NO selective backup and restore for separate apps - all or nothing. You can generally restore apps (that have not changed in price) using BBWorld and finding UNinstalled and putting them back, one by one (tedious, as it restoring gigs of data).

Debrick is merely reloading the OS. The limitation is that generally you still need wifi to complete the OS install. Any restoration is a separate process.
    Thanks! I appreciate the help.
    06-25-13 12:45 AM