Went into Carphone warehouse on Saturday for a quick 3 minute feel of a playbook, loved it, really quick, really slick, nice size, but I didnt have enough time to demo it properly, so Sunday, went to PC world, nice playbook, quiet shop, here I go...so slow it was painfull loading web pages, turns out theres one wifi spot for all the PCs in the huge store ( dont know if that would be the only factor) plus even a novice like me could see it was asking for a software upgrade to be downloaded, I pointed this out to the nice shop assistant who shrugged and said they'd been asking for better wifi for ages, I asked him what punters like me would think of the PB given how they are presenting it ?
    No comment...I left...RIM wouldnt be very happy if they new their products were being advertised in this way..
    06-21-11 12:45 PM
    That sounds like more of an issue for the shop than for RIM. If the network is that slow, none of the PCs would get decent Internet speeds either. It would be in the shop's best interest to upgrade their network in order to provide potential customers a better experience on all Internet capable products.
    06-21-11 12:53 PM
    umm. That was his point, no?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-11 12:55 PM
    If RIM wanted to pay for all the retailers to have faster internet service i imagine they would have by now. RIM have already shipped the devices, it's up to the retailer to move them and if the retailer doesn't care about the experience thats too bad. It's no different here, I have yet to see a PB at bestbuy that is on a working WiFi network. Im actually surprised that BestBuy even has real PlayBooks on display instead of the fake kind that they seem to display most of the time.
    06-21-11 01:01 PM
    umm. That was his point, no?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I was just saying that a shop with a slow network is not just hurting RIM product promotion. They are hurting their promotion of all products they sell. RIM is not a victim here.
    06-21-11 01:03 PM
    From my experience in the US, big box store staff are untrained, especially in the PB.
    This matter is not something that RIM can easily address.

It is no surprise that the store you visited itself was ill equipped to handle sales.

IMO: There is a difference between a 'seller person' and a 'sales person'. The seller wonders why they can't make money on the products they handle, the salesperson uses a wheel barrow to take the money to the bank. There are few sales persons.
    06-21-11 01:04 PM
    Im actually surprised that BestBuy even has real PlayBooks on display instead of the fake kind that they seem to display most of the time.

That has to be one of my biggest pet hates. How can you be expected to part with what is a reasonable amount of money when there is only a plastic mock up on display. It's a functional piece of equipment we are buying not an ornament. Dumb retailers.
    06-21-11 02:16 PM
    Bestbuy had pre release OS running (which was crashing a lot) and when internet was so slow i checked the name of the wifi it was driod-hotspot. It wasn't hurting ipad since it was further away (with other iproducts) and clearly using some other wifi and there was dedicated person looking after the apple products.
    06-21-11 02:36 PM
    That has to be one of my biggest pet hates. How can you be expected to part with what is a reasonable amount of money when there is only a plastic mock up on display. It's a functional piece of equipment we are buying not an ornament. Dumb retailers.
    You know you can always ask to play with the real deal right?
    06-21-11 02:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD