View Poll Results: What is the most you would pay for BB10 on the PB?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • $0 --- I feel entitled to get it for free.

66 62.86%
  • $0 --- I am happy with PB OS 2.X as it is.

5 4.76%
  • $10

10 9.52%
  • $20

13 12.38%
  • $30

5 4.76%
  • $40

1 0.95%
  • $50

2 1.90%
  • $75

0 0%
  • More than $75

3 2.86%
    RIM promised all os updates to the playbook would be free back when it was released. RIM has never charged for an os update. RIM has in no way suggested bb10 updates would not be free. This is foolish.
    09-28-12 10:53 AM
    I think RIM needs to decide if they want to keep any PlayBook owners or just have a big "F-U" party. All we have been hearing from RIM is just how amazing BB10 is going to be once delivered... If they charge for it, I believe that it will be the last straw for lots of people...
    randall2580 and Mr Donut like this.
    09-28-12 11:16 AM
    They would be stuipd a$$e$ if they did not upgrade to BB10 free of charge. IMHO....
    Mr Donut likes this.
    09-28-12 11:30 AM
    I also paid full price for my 64Gb Playbook. It came with a system and installed apps that were far from perfect. OS2 was to fix all that when it finally came out. It did not and now I am waiting yet again for the gold version of 2.1. Not interested in the beta version, I believe the end users deserve more than just the beta version from RIM. Now a number of folks here are content in waiting some more for BB10 as a replacement for 2.1. Not me. My patience is running real, real thin. During the JAM on of the slides over the stage stated that RIM believed in us, the end users. I found that real funny. What it should have said is only the “phone” end users were believed in. I feel totally abandoned by RIM after they unloaded their tablet stock in retail outlets at outrageously low pricing and not fixing the flaws in OS2.0.0 with another update. I am not seeing any official statements in the media about what existing tablet users can expect from RIM in the near or distant future. Only rumors and uninformed or unofficial banter on this forum. Will I buy any more RIM products. Probably not. Already burned once. Will I dump the Playbook. Probably not. I will keep it as long as it is useful then check out whatever is on the market at that time for a replacement. Will I pay for BB10. Not a chance. Why pay for a polished OS that should have been installed on the tablet before its release ~1 � years ago. Instead the tablet was released flawed and I was charged full price.
    Mr Donut and cdelcampo216 like this.
    09-28-12 01:03 PM
    I am continually amazed by the number of people I see posting about how *flawed* the Playbook was when introduced, and still claim the same thing after numerous updates and nearly 2 years later. Judging by most of these descriptions and complaints I have read since coming to Crackberry a few years ago, one might come to the conclusion that the devices were practically unusable. Yet they still are still using them so this is not the case. It is also interesting to continue to see this sense of entitlement still rearing it's head. If after a year you are still this dissatisfied with the device why not just move on to something else. Has RIM made and broken promises? Of course they have. Show me a business or individual who hasn't, but to believe some of the postings here one would think that this is the norm and they can't help themselves. Don't confuse broken promises from RIM with broken promises (many from unsubstatiated) rumours from those who have done so without authorization who claim to speak for RIM.

I'm not saying that RIM should or should not charge for BB10 on the Playbook that is entirely their decision to make inline with wise business practices. However, if they do offer it free (I'm with others that have indicated that this has not been promised) it would not be the norm and instead of feeling *entitled* (no matter the price paid for the device) I would be thankful that it was offered free of charge. I don't recall seeing any kind of statement or guarantee included with mine that promised lifetime upgrades for free.

Consider the *huge* investment in time and cost in development. Do you work for free? Expecting others to do or businesses to do so would be hypocritical. The tech industry norm is actually to offer minor updates (x.1, x.2, etc) for free, but major ones (1.x, 2.x, etc) normally include a charge. The same has been generally true of applications as well.

Strangely I have rarely heard the converse though, that users would instead pledge all their mobile business to RIM (and their first borns') should it be offered free recognizing that it would be no small offer on their part.

If you think this is just a fanboy response, then you don't know me very well as this applies just as much to other companies. Those that treat me well have my business, but I in no way feel a sense of entitlement for something that its not *explicitly* granted or promised.

And to those claiming this poll is a fail, please, it is a perfectly valid question. It speaks to how much someone may value something even if offered free. If you don't like it, move along, there's nothing more to see here.
    kozmo68 and dugggggg like this.
    09-28-12 03:30 PM
    I believe the initial launch of BB10 for playbook will be free.. After that I would expect any upgrades may come at a price.. I own 2 playbooks, one of which I bought at release, at full price and I'm still satisfied with my purchase.. Was it, or is it perfect, no but it has served me well in the 1.5 years of ownership. I'm patiently waiting for my BB10 phone and for the day my playbook gets to realize its full potential.. Whining, crying or complaining isn't going to get it hear any quicker....
    09-28-12 03:36 PM
    I am continually amazed by the number of people I see posting about how *flawed* the Playbook was when introduced, and still claim the same thing after numerous updates and nearly 2 years later. Judging by most of these descriptions and complaints I have read since coming to Crackberry a few years ago, one might come to the conclusion that the devices were practically unusable. Yet they still are still using them so this is not the case. It is also interesting to continue to see this sense of entitlement still rearing it's head. If after a year you are still this dissatisfied with the device why not just move on to something else. Has RIM made and broken promises? Of course they have. Show me a business or individual who hasn't, but to believe some of the postings here one would think that this is the norm and they can't help themselves. Don't confuse broken promises from RIM with broken promises (many from unsubstatiated) rumours from those who have done so without authorization who claim to speak for RIM.

I'm not saying that RIM should or should not charge for BB10 on the Playbook that is entirely their decision to make inline with wise business practices. However, if they do offer it free (I'm with others that have indicated that this has not been promised) it would not be the norm and instead of feeling *entitled* (no matter the price paid for the device) I would be thankful that it was offered free of charge. I don't recall seeing any kind of statement or guarantee included with mine that promised lifetime upgrades for free.

Consider the *huge* investment in time and cost in development. Do you work for free? Expecting others to do or businesses to do so would be hypocritical. The tech industry norm is actually to offer minor updates (x.1, x.2, etc) for free, but major ones (1.x, 2.x, etc) normally include a charge. The same has been generally true of applications as well.

Strangely I have rarely heard the converse though, that users would instead pledge all their mobile business to RIM (and their first borns') should it be offered free recognizing that it would be no small offer on their part.

If you think this is just a fanboy response, then you don't know me very well as this applies just as much to other companies. Those that treat me well have my business, but I in no way feel a sense of entitlement for something that its not *explicitly* granted or promised.

And to those claiming this poll is a fail, please, it is a perfectly valid question. It speaks to how much someone may value something even if offered free. If you don't like it, move along, there's nothing more to see here.
    Well I didn't like the entitled to it but I do think it should be free.

I think some of the flack on the question is did iPhone and iPad users have to pay to upgrade their older device to iOS 6?

Did android users have to pay to upgrade to all of the different flavors? Well I do know some don't get the upgrade and some won't handle the upgrades but if your phone does do they have to buy it?

RIM got themselves into this situation and to expect your fans to help bail you out by paying for an upgraded OS isn't the way to get out of it in fact it may be a way to lose more fans.
    09-28-12 03:59 PM
    I like the part where we're pretending that anything but a willingness to pay extra constitutes some manner of entitlement.
    09-28-12 04:03 PM
    Well I didn't like the entitled to it but I do think it should be free.

I think some of the flack on the question is did iPhone and iPad users have to pay to upgrade their older device to iOS 6?

Did android users have to pay to upgrade to all of the different flavors? Well I do know some don't get the upgrade and some won't handle the upgrades but if your phone does do they have to buy it?

RIM got themselves into this situation and to expect your fans to help bail you out by paying for an upgraded OS isn't the way to get out of it in fact it may be a way to lose more fans.
    No what they did instead was eliminate older devices from even running the new OSes. We have the same thing now with Apple's Mountain Lion only installing on newer hardware. Apple also have charged for IOS upgrades. I can't recall which version it was but I remember having to pay for at least one IOS upgrade.

Someone can correct me but also I believe that more than one Android hardware vendor (HTC comes to mind) where they made devices that could not upgrade to newer versions of Android (Windows mobile as well).
    09-28-12 08:50 PM
    Why you even want to give room for such idea? Why always somehow try to defend to the people who have been screwing us and our money? Even the apps store charge for every ok game, so why people still want to blindly look to reward RIM?
    Exactly where have you been screwed by RIM and if so then why are you still a RIM customer?
    09-28-12 08:58 PM
    No what they did instead was eliminate older devices from even running the new OSes. We have the same thing now with Apple's Mountain Lion only installing on newer hardware. Apple also have charged for IOS upgrades. I can't recall which version it was but I remember having to pay for at least one IOS upgrade.

Someone can correct me but also I believe that more than one Android hardware vendor (HTC comes to mind) where they made devices that could not upgrade to newer versions of Android (Windows mobile as well).
    Not bringing desktop OS's into it as they are different.

I mentioned not getting updates due to old hardware in mobile like desktops if you want the newest you have to buy new hardware.

So I guess I'm back to if the hardware is capable do other mobile OS vendors charge for updates? Is the iPhone 3 capable of iOS 6 and if so did they have to pay for it?
    09-28-12 09:20 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD