View Poll Results: What is the most you would pay for BB10 on the PB?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • $0 --- I feel entitled to get it for free.

66 62.86%
  • $0 --- I am happy with PB OS 2.X as it is.

5 4.76%
  • $10

10 9.52%
  • $20

13 12.38%
  • $30

5 4.76%
  • $40

1 0.95%
  • $50

2 1.90%
  • $75

0 0%
  • More than $75

3 2.86%
    I think it's safe to say that most of us bought our PlayBooks at a significant discount off the original price. RIM has promised to deliver us BB10---but never said it would be free. Is Microsoft upgrading everyone to Windows 8 for free? I don't think so.

So how much would you be willing to pay for BB10 on the PB, in US dollars?
    snarlybear likes this.
    09-27-12 10:29 PM
    Apparently, free.
    09-27-12 10:37 PM
    I paid over $420.00 so I feel that I am entitled to a free upgrade.
    09-27-12 10:56 PM
    well I haven't been a bb user for much. I liked the phones way b4 the playbook so when I had the chanse to get a vita or a pb I got the pb, some migth thing I'm dumb but I think I actually really like the pb, its simple to use yet is capabilities are endless for what I've seen. plus I believe it is able to run sofware closer to what u have on a pc than any other device. the reason most devs don't seed this is because most are into the app business and to my understanding it is way different and more simple to make apps. but getting back on subject one of the things I like of bb is the way the do business is that most updates have been free to my little knowledge of their phones, so I think for the pb it should be free aswell
    Last edited by osbook; 09-27-12 at 11:30 PM.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    09-27-12 11:28 PM
    BB10 Was always the target OS for the PlayBook. Versions 1.0 thru x.x is only an interim OS to get the PlayBook out to market. See the early introduction videos for the PlayBook, I think your question is moot.

The premature release of the PlayBook and its earlier faults are the results of corporate leadership not knowing or understanding the market. Fortunately for us that leadership is no longer at RIM.

Had the PlayBook been delayed and not announced prematurely I think Mr.T would have released the PlayBook with BB10 as part of a suite of BB10 devices with a much more positive market response.
    09-27-12 11:32 PM
    I also paid full price so I wouldn't pay $0.01 for BB10.

BB10 is what this should have come with and could have actually made the Playbook a relevant device.
    09-28-12 12:22 AM
    Is Microsoft upgrading everyone to Windows 8 for free? I don't think so.
    This is a completely erroneous analogy.

The Playbook offers no choice for OS really, therefore it should be free. Microsoft Windows is ultimately software that runs on a piece of hardware from someone else. Have you ever installed Microsoft Windows on a Microsoft computer? Oh right, Microsoft doesn't make computers, they make software.
    rnhld, mikeo007 and kbz1960 like this.
    09-28-12 12:25 AM
    I bought my 16gb PB on launch day for $499
    I have zero regrets and have gotten lots of use out of it with no sign of that changing. I'd pay ten bucks for the upgrade in a heartbeat.
    jamesharmeling and malcerie like this.
    09-28-12 12:28 AM
    yea I paid about that much too...but I don't feel entitled to anything...yea it kinda sucks that they are so cheap. BUT I look at my PB & I know it's a $400 device. don't believe me? compare it to other $500 tablets that came out within a year of it's release.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    09-28-12 12:30 AM
    I have spent $20 easily on apps i hate or never use on my pb. Why would i not be willing to pay that same amount for a kick a$$ OS that i would take advantage of every day. Heck, i even remember paying palm for os update on my 5c over a decade ago, and apple for an update on one of my ipods a few years back. iOS6 was free, but meant nothing to me on my ipads and ipod.
    09-28-12 01:15 AM
    I think it's safe to say that most of us bought our PlayBooks at a significant discount off the original price. RIM has promised to deliver us BB10---but never said it would be free. Is Microsoft upgrading everyone to Windows 8 for free? I don't think so.

I get it for free! Of course I had to get my windows 8 accreditation to qualify, but I get 8 Pro for free.

Sorry, I had to gloat because the test was a beeyotch.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    09-28-12 01:45 AM
    Well I think this is up to RIM to decide. RIM must make the decision on whether charging money for any kind of an upgrade on any of the devices worth it. When you go from being number one in North America and Western Europe to being number one in 3rd World And virtually nonexistent is the first two mentioned you must decide on your fate of being an invitation company or a dollar store company.
    09-28-12 05:18 AM
    Nope won't do it and if RIM attempts to charge me I'd be done with them. I'm unsure if RIM has ever said BB10 will be a free upgrade or if they only claim it will come to the PB.

I don't know but I don't think other mobile companies charge for OS upgrades. At some point you may need new hardware for the OS but most of the time if you do its because your old hardware is just that old.

With MS you know the upgrade will cost you, they have always been up front about that.
    taz323 likes this.
    09-28-12 07:40 AM
    If I still owned the PB I gave up a few weeks ago...

Personally I feel RIM should pay me! Purchased almost at launch, the OS has never been competent, complete or worthy of any praise from me and failed as a business tool.
    09-28-12 07:49 AM
    Actually this is a dumb thread... They have stated BB10 will be FREE for Playbook users. So I don't know why this poll/thread even exists
    berryaddict338 and taz323 like this.
    09-28-12 08:41 AM
    Actually this is a dumb thread... They have stated BB10 will be FREE for Playbook users. So I don't know why this poll/thread even exists
    Link please? All i find is it will come, never see the word free.
    rjedge54 likes this.
    09-28-12 08:43 AM
    They stated when BBx was announced and then the name changed to BB10 that they would be providing for free.

I will try to find a link
    09-28-12 08:44 AM
    Why is there a poll?

This was discussed as a non starter the other day
    09-28-12 08:49 AM
    Thanks hope you can.
    09-28-12 08:54 AM
    Shouldn't need one. It's been said by almost everyone. This poll is a fail.

BlackBerry 10 on PlayBook

RIM has already confirmed that the BlackBerry PlayBook will receive the update to the BlackBerry 10 operating system, and while there's no firm date for this to be rolled out, we'd expect it to happen pretty soon into the new year.

From Techradar.

The poll would make sense if RIM already charged people to upgrade the software on their device. afaik, they don't
    09-28-12 09:06 AM
    As a Linux user I don't pay for software on my laptop. I won't pay for it to go on a tablet.
    09-28-12 09:08 AM
    Shouldn't need one. It's been said by almost everyone. This poll is a fail.

BlackBerry 10 on PlayBook

RIM has already confirmed that the BlackBerry PlayBook will receive the update to the BlackBerry 10 operating system, and while there's no firm date for this to be rolled out, we'd expect it to happen pretty soon into the new year.

From Techradar.

The poll would make sense if RIM already charged people to upgrade the software on their device. afaik, they don't
    Coming to and coming to free are different. Maybe you can find a source or link where it's been said free and just not coming?
    09-28-12 09:16 AM

I think this topic is out of question... Why would you even consider to pay for a update, when we basically have been left out in the cold with delays and broken promises, the topic should be:" should rim award us with a brand new bb10 phone for us playbook adopters, for take the heat and keept loyal to blackberry " a topic like that would make more sense to me!!!!
    bodjor likes this.
    09-28-12 10:45 AM
    Interesting assumption that "most of us" bought our Playbooks at a significant discount. I paid $549 for mine a year ago. After the huge price reduction, I'd be more than a little unhappy to have to pay for an OS upgrade. Guess I'll cross that bridge if it ever gets here.
    09-28-12 10:48 AM
    Coming to and coming to free are different. Maybe you can find a source or link where it's been said free and just not coming?
    Why you even want to give room for such idea? Why always somehow try to defend to the people who have been screwing us and our money? Even the apps store charge for every ok game, so why people still want to blindly look to reward RIM?
    09-28-12 10:50 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD