I suspect its a sell-off for a couple reasons...
    ....to generate revenue
    ....new Playbook with BB10....
    ....being discontinued?>?
    09-07-12 06:24 PM
    Love these prices! Now my full price 64g PlayBook is worth like $30.00! Go RIM!
    Feel for ya bro but that's hilarious,I feel better paying 399 for my first 64G
    09-07-12 06:27 PM
    I'll take a PB anyway I can. For me it has more than paid for itself.
    rshew and bungaboy like this.
    09-07-12 06:30 PM
    I'm no expert, far from it in fact, but the way I see it the current playbook is kind of a "BB10" beta, RIM put QNX on the playbook while they figured it all out, now they're porting it over to the phones and polishing it off. The existing pb will be getting BB10 unless I've misread something so no worries there.

I'd imagine somewhere down the line there'll be a hardware update if there's market for it. Right now I don't think it's needed, let's face it tablets aren't like pcs where you're keeping up with the latest release of crysis. Only thing we have to hope is that RIM don't take the once bitten twice shy approach

As for how low they go, who knows? Right now they're priced really well against other tabs. Realistically you're either looking at a lower specced android, a Chinese copy tab, or a kindle if you want something cheaper. They could go further, technically they could sell them for �5 now and still turn a profit according to the beancounters, but it makes sense to try and recoup some money. Let's face it even if the playbook was a failure in the media's eyes its still a decent device and aggressive pricing will catch people's attention

<obligatory bit about all the above being my own opinion etc and not believing everything you read on the Internet>
    Last edited by Donnee; 09-07-12 at 06:41 PM.
    balding1 and bungaboy like this.
    09-07-12 06:37 PM
    But we have a VAT of about 15% which I don't think USA has.
    20% v.a.t. but still a damn bargain. Makes you wonder what profit Currys/PC World are making?

wftl likes this.
    09-07-12 06:42 PM
    If RIM is trying to deplete the old inventory, does this mean that they will have new model of tablets coming out when BB10 is released? If so, does it mean that the current PB's will never be part of BB10? The point is, if RIM is confident that BB10 will bring them back to the game and status quo they used to be, and the current PB units are part and will receive the revolutionary BB10, there is no need for them to deplete the current PB's inventories and losing profit... they just need only to push the BB10 on time, and the PB will regain its value...
    I wouldn't be concerned. The PlayBook was a test platform for BB10, and it's an existing install base. It makes sense for them to upgrade it to BB10 so that everyone is on the same OS and they don't have any fragmentation.

The PB has a 1024x600 screen, the new $200 tablets have 1280x800 screens. The front facing camera is useful, but most people feel ridiculous using the rear camera to take photos or videos on a tablet, so that's only valuable in a few niche situations. And as good as the PBOS is, and even though BB10 will be better, the lower resolution is going to be a problem.

With the current specs, they can't keep selling the PB at a higher price.

I'm not sure if there will be a PlayBook 2 to follow up the PlayBook. They're going to focus on phones first, and might come back to a tablet in a year or two.
    09-07-12 06:51 PM
    So what will it do price wise for future inventory once they clear out stock? OR are they even still manufacturing them?
    Will the big box stores just not carry them anymore?
    I think they will only produce LTE and no more wifi only version. they might just sort of discontinue PB in the future. I mean no dedicated resource for PB
    09-07-12 07:26 PM
    I honestly dont think the 16gb model will go lower then 129.99.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    many people said same for 199,then 179,then 149 and then.....
    09-07-12 07:28 PM
    btw,I think RIM should stock those PB now and give them away for free to the BB10 phone customers
    DC506 and usedberry like this.
    09-07-12 07:32 PM
    You can buy mine for 190.00 but will have to work to restore it. I'm in touch w/customer service at the moment. Once it's up and running it will be on the market.....
    Last edited by Chinookman; 09-08-12 at 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling
    09-08-12 12:50 PM
    just bought a 64gb from The Source on line and they are throwing in a free leather case. Free shipping to my local store. Can't go wrong with that price. Now I can video conference with my family when I am on the road as they will now get my 16GB. Also, Shaw Cable has come out with city wide wifi in Edmonton so I can bring and use these tablets everywhere!
    09-08-12 04:28 PM
    Links for these deals?
    https://www.thesource.ca/estore/prod...roduct=1966103
    09-08-12 06:11 PM
    I picked up my second playbook at wallmart! A 32MB for $148.00
    09-08-12 08:35 PM
    The PB has a 1024x600 screen, the new $200 tablets have 1280x800 screens. And as good as the PBOS is, and even though BB10 will be better, the lower resolution is going to be a problem.
    I watch movies on my BlackBerry PlayBook and the resolution is crisp and high-quality. I was watching Star Trek: The Original Series on the tablet after transferring the content from the DVDs; playback was smooth and despite the lower production quality of 1960s network television and Hollywood studios I enjoyed seeing the old USS Enterprise and her crew once again.
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    09-08-12 08:50 PM
    Love these prices! Now my full price 64g PlayBook is worth like $30.00! Go RIM!
    I remember back in the 90s we bought an IBM PC Server 300 for about 3 thousand dollars. Now that server is probably worth $20.

It's how these things work. The first generation ipad is now about 1/2 of its original price and it's also 2 years old.

You also have to consider that it was overpriced at the beginning because of lack of features.

This is probably the only tablet that will get a major update (BB10) over time.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-08-12 09:03 PM
    I need to buy PB in USA, who knows the shop that is running the Sales as available in Canada? and or any shop that can ship to USA from Canada. I have tried to call Source Canada the phone number is not going thru.

Thanks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    09-09-12 08:47 AM
    Any deals like these in the US? Been wanting a PB forever and now seems the perfect time to pick one up
    09-09-12 09:09 AM
    This week in Canada they dropped to
    Playbook 16GB $129, 32GB for $149 and 64GB is $199 some wrapped in a bundle.
    Personally feel they pigeonholed themselves big time with prices ever going higher so can only drop further.
    let them sale as much as possible no matter the price. the more pb sold the more developers will be interested with this platform. I hope rim will keep supporting pb but the competition is really stiff.

Sent from my BlackBerry Playbook using Tapatalk 2
    09-09-12 09:43 AM
    I need to buy PB in USA, who knows the shop that is running the Sales as available in Canada? and or any shop that can ship to USA from Canada. I have tried to call Source Canada the phone number is not going thru.

Thanks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    You can't order from the Source unless you are in Canada.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    09-09-12 09:52 AM
    UK Prices have dropped dramatically,I picked up a 64GB model @ Currys for �129
    09-09-12 11:14 AM
    anyone know if any of these magic UK shops ship to Europe??
    09-09-12 11:45 AM
    I really wonder how much more inventory is out there. RIM must have stopped production, or at least cut back a year ago. Is there a huge warehouse full of year-old playbooks somewhere?
    09-09-12 02:02 PM
    I figured out my $700 PlayBook is now worth about as much as a brand new 1987 Yugo. Now I should spend more money for less memory but I get 4G LTE

I will get a new 4G PlayBook in March 2013, should be down to $149 by then.
    09-09-12 03:16 PM
    If they still have inventory of 16GB I say $99 especially with a 32GB going for $149 and now TheSource is kicking in a free leather case value ($49.99) with it.
    I just see them going the Telus way and not carry them anymore once all models are cleared out
    I just pick up another 64G!!
    09-09-12 03:43 PM
    so sad.....the 16gb ipad 2 is still selling for $400 here and RIM can't even keep the 64gig playbook above $200. they've royally screwed themselves this time.
    09-09-12 08:15 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD