This week in Canada they dropped to
    Playbook 16GB $129, 32GB for $149 and 64GB is $199 some wrapped in a bundle.
    Personally feel they pigeonholed themselves big time with prices ever going higher so can only drop further.
    Ned_Flanders likes this.
    09-07-12 01:43 PM
    Are they even profiting from all this?

How much is the cost of building a PB?
    09-07-12 01:50 PM
    I do believe they wrote down all of these that were in stock. If i understand correctly they took a hit writing them down to $0. Anything they sell recoups some of that (though they will end up losing money overall)
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-07-12 01:52 PM
    I do believe they wrote down all of these that were in stock. If i understand correctly they took a hit writing them down to $0. Anything they sell recoups some of that (though they will end up losing money overall)
    So what will it do price wise for future inventory once they clear out stock? OR are they even still manufacturing them?
    Will the big box stores just not carry them anymore?
    09-07-12 01:57 PM
    Perhaps their strategy is to get rid of all existing inventory. Have people forget how cheap it was and introduce a new model with BB10 next year at a profitable price point.
    09-07-12 02:18 PM
    Links for these deals?
    09-07-12 02:54 PM
    Links for these deals?
    Laptops, Netbooks, Tablets & Desktop Computers | Cell Phones
    09-07-12 03:00 PM
    With new 7" Tablets comming out now for $200 you have to drop the price on your 18 month old tab just to compete
    Viktor_Volkov likes this.
    09-07-12 03:12 PM
    Thanks. I had seen the 32 GBs for $150 a lot of places but not the 16 GB and 64 GB deals. Good to see the 64 GB is back down to the same $200 price I got it for in February (Telus clearout).
    Last edited by mcmolineux; 09-07-12 at 03:35 PM.
    09-07-12 03:22 PM
    I honestly dont think the 16gb model will go lower then 129.99.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    djdragon likes this.
    09-07-12 03:22 PM
    I honestly dont think the 16gb model will go lower then 129.99.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    If they still have inventory of 16GB I say $99 especially with a 32GB going for $149 and now TheSource is kicking in a free leather case value ($49.99) with it.
    I just see them going the Telus way and not carry them anymore once all models are cleared out
    09-07-12 03:28 PM
    Once these are gone thats it. Same as the HP tablets, they went roack bottom and then they were done. The new PLaybooks are out and then once these are gone. Unless people don't buy these, then they would drop the price more.
    09-07-12 03:39 PM
    If RIM is trying to deplete the old inventory, does this mean that they will have new model of tablets coming out when BB10 is released? If so, does it mean that the current PB's will never be part of BB10? The point is, if RIM is confident that BB10 will bring them back to the game and status quo they used to be, and the current PB units are part and will receive the revolutionary BB10, there is no need for them to deplete the current PB's inventories and losing profit... they just need only to push the BB10 on time, and the PB will regain its value...
    balding1 likes this.
    09-07-12 03:40 PM
    Just picked up a 64... (well i ordered it on line for pickup in local store). Great deal with the leather case and screen protector for 199.

The 16Gb I have now goes to my wife. She does not have a BB phone but at this price she will get lots of use out it simply as a tablet that fits into her purse.
    09-07-12 03:56 PM
    If RIM is trying to deplete the old inventory, does this mean that they will have new model of tablets coming out when BB10 is released? If so, does it mean that the current PB's will never be part of BB10? The point is, if RIM is confident that BB10 will bring them back to the game and status quo they used to be, and the current PB units are part and will receive the revolutionary BB10, there is no need for them to deplete the current PB's inventories and losing profit... they just need only to push the BB10 on time, and the PB will regain its value...
    By the time that happens the 1st gen PlayBook will be 2. Years old. You can't possibly expect them to try and sell a two year old item at a profit just because it got a OS update.

Looking forward to Black Forrest 128 gig. Now that's something that would justify a hefty price point
    kdeckels and bungaboy like this.
    09-07-12 04:02 PM
    I thought my PB priced at �169 was rock bottom & was wrong so maybe further price drops.

Amazing how a good night out on the tiles is the price of a 16Gb now, without the next morning...gotta be worth it.
    Last edited by Ben1232; 09-07-12 at 04:08 PM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-07-12 04:05 PM
    why is this offer not available in USA?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    09-07-12 04:23 PM
    Yes, yes, yes, thanks for your support, maybe they will get even cheaper?
    09-07-12 05:14 PM
    ordered another 64gig this afternoon at the source. should be in for store pickup by mid next week. great for video chat with the kids when I am away on business
    09-07-12 05:18 PM
    By the time that happens the 1st gen PlayBook will be 2. Years old. You can't possibly expect them to try and sell a two year old item at a profit just because it got a OS update.
    Well, if the "speed" and "connectivity" will only be the difference but the same "functionality", "applications" and "games", the 2-year old tablet will still be competitive with the new generation of tablets running with the same OS... exactly what is happening now with PB "wifi" and "4G" version (both in OS2.0 officially)... and even with "4" and "4S" for instance (both can be upgraded to iOS5.1)... or "S II "and "S III" (both can be installed with ICS 4.0 or even the so-called Jellybean 4.1)...

And "YES", I believe "OS" is still a great factor for determining the value of a tablet and mobile... in fact, "OS" drastic update and improvement is only possible when hardware is drastically improved... that is also explain why new OS is commonly can no longer be installed in old hardware... and this is actually I'm concerned that BB10 is not that great as what we are expecting it to be i.e. if it is still can be installed in a 2-year old tablet... it's either, our PB is designed in advance (which is questionable now considering these "Quad core" tablets now emerging in the markets)... or the BB10 is late or it just only an incremental improvement as other OS's update/upgrade...
    balding1 likes this.
    09-07-12 05:20 PM
    You can get a 64gb Playbook in the UK, brand new for �129 from PC World. I don't know if America/Canada has PC World, but it is basically a leading computing retail company. Kind of like the wal-mart of computers. It's awesome.

This is equivalent to 205$ or so. But we have a VAT of about 15% which I don't think USA has. So if you take this tax out, it equates to about 175$ i believe.

Awesome.
    09-07-12 05:43 PM
    Currys/PC World/Pixmania here in the UK.....all the same company are selling the PB at the following prices.....16gb �109......32gb �119.....64gb �129....for �20 difference from the 16gb you would be mad buying anything but the 64gb.
    09-07-12 05:58 PM
    Well, if the "speed" and "connectivity" will only be the difference but the same "functionality", "applications" and "games", the 2-year old tablet will still be competitive with the new generation of tablets running with the same OS... exactly what is happening now with PB "wifi" and "4G" version (both in OS2.0 officially)... and even with "4" and "4S" for instance (both can be upgraded to iOS5.1)... or "S II "and "S III" (both can be installed with ICS 4.0 or even the so-called Jellybean 4.1)...

And "YES", I believe "OS" is still a great factor for determining the value of a tablet and mobile... in fact, "OS" drastic update and improvement is only possible when hardware is drastically improved... that is also explain why new OS is commonly can no longer be installed in old hardware... and this is actually I'm concerned that BB10 is not that great as what we are expecting it to be i.e. if it is still can be installed in a 2-year old tablet... it's either, our PB is designed in advance (which is questionable now considering these "Quad core" tablets now emerging in the markets)... or the BB10 is late or it just only an incremental improvement as other OS's update/upgrade...
    My gut feeling with this playbook will be what you see is what you got plus a few minor updates.
    Probably the end of the road for this model but what do I know?
    Last edited by balding1; 09-07-12 at 06:08 PM.
    09-07-12 06:04 PM
    they could go to $0 and they could just give them away but I doubt it. These sales are giving people an opportunity to get a playbook at a great price. if you have access to the sale and don't have a playbook or want a second.......Buy Now.
    09-07-12 06:06 PM
    Love these prices! Now my full price 64g PlayBook is worth like $30.00! Go RIM!
    balding1 likes this.
    09-07-12 06:22 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD