When BB10 is launched and a tremendous success.....it would not make sense to not have a tablet. Me personally I hope they keep the name PlayBook. It works, sounds like a solid device. My 2cents.
    12-07-12 05:07 PM
    It has lasted very long for a tablet that doesn't start with an 'i' or end in 'pad'. It came out the same time as iPad2 as we all know. Apple already has new versions, specifically 'the new' and 'the mini' (such gimicky names, should be a fricken iPad3), which are just the same thing with better specs. Well, except the mini, it is an iPad2. RIM is banking on QNX and they will have to show it is a viable alternative to iOS before marketing a new 'playbook'. Once they build a larger user base for BB10, they will bring out new devices to replace the playbook. This is inevitable. I do hope they continue support for the first generation playbooks for a reasonable time. At least another couple of years. But I know, to be successful, RIM has to keep evolving its devices and keeping the playbook updated is RIMs choice. Playbook will last as long as RIM allows it to. And so far so good cuz alls I keeps hearin is I'm getting me some BB10 action next year. :thumbup:
    PatrickMJS, FF22 and Hgouck like this.
    12-07-12 05:29 PM
    Sent mine in for repair under warranty over 2 weeks ago. The micro USB port was broken. After not hearing from them, although I sent 2 emails with no reply, I called today. After some delay they told me it was not economically feasable to repair. Told me there was water damage. Not true. They wanted to scrap it there and I said send it back.. It is still under warranty but I think they just can't be bothered with the playbook anymore. So I think the comments on playbook days are numbered may be true.
    There is no way the RIM warranty repair folks would refuse to repair a unit by making up a story about moisture damage. Most mobile devices have a built-in element that changes colour when exposed to moisture. Your PB may have been exposed to moisture without your knowledge and perhaps that moisture has shorted out your usb port.

I'm not aware of any electronic items being warranted for moisture damage.

It is totally unreasonable of you to use this experience of yours as a pretext for suspecting RIM is backing away from the PB. I call B S.
    12-07-12 05:42 PM
    Are you sure this wasn't the New York Times swami? Reporters are supposed to report. Swamis are supposed to know the future. Or is that NYT's palm reader or horoscope teller? Surely, it can't be a reporter as last time I looked, they didn't have any special soothsaying powers. Other than their arrogance that is.
    12-07-12 06:23 PM
    Patrick

FYI the only problem was a mis-alignment of the USB so that I could not connect the charger anymore. Other than that it worked quite well. there is no way there was moisture damage. I don't think I am being unreasonable, especially since they didn't respond to any of my emails and guaranteed repair within 5 days. It was 2 weeks and I didn't hear a word from them until I called. I think they are dishing out BS, especially since it was only 6 months old.

Why is a Canadian company having US repair their products anyway. I bought Blackberry because it was Canadian
    12-07-12 06:53 PM
    I expect my PlayBook to last until the battery stops holding a decent charge.

I got a couple of years out of my phone's battery before it started going wonky, surely the PlayBook won't be far behind.
    12-07-12 07:07 PM
    We all know that the head of tech reviews at the New York Times was a close, personal friend of Steve Jobs. I remember the NYT describing the ipad1 as nice and easy to hold (at 1.6 pounds), the ipad2 as so much lighter (at 1.3 pounds) and the PlayBook as quite heavy (at 0.9 pounds).

They have given all things Apple a soft easy happy sounding review and all things BlackBerry have been sent to the woodshed. They joined in the chorus of criticism that the PB is too small, and now they are praising the new ipadmini for being such a handy size!???
    That makes a pile of sense. The "reviewer" was going on about how the Android app store didn't have enough apps and most of them were crappy and Windows had almost none (likely true currently) but APPLE had so many and so high quality etc. It truly was (pardon the pun) the apple of eye. Gist of what he said about playbook was it was cheap but was going to be gone soon so he wouldn't spend anything for it.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-07-12 08:52 PM
    Just heard a guy from the New York Times say on Canadian radio that the Playbook will be finished in a year or two! I love my Playbook. Surely this can't be true.
    I heard that guy too. He agreed PB price was good but because it was being sold for firesale prices, it wasn't long for this world. He said there weren't many apps (obviously not up to date on the Adroid capability.) His choice was the IPad mini (because it was such a handy size!)

He is probably right that RIM are likely giving up on the current Playbook. Will they come out with a cheaper to make version? Maybe? Will they give up on support and close down app world? Perhaps in time. But in meantime, everything we have will continue to work as it does now with or without RIM's support. Android aps will be available if anyone needs more apps ?

I have a Compaq iPaq 3670 sitting on it's charger stand in front of me. It dates back to late 90s I think. It is a quality built product like the PB. It still works just fine. With the accessories, it has gps, wifi, email, ereader,gps, plays tunes, records, etc. Several great apps for auto and marine navigation, music player etc. It was called a PDA, but does everything tablets do today except with much less battery life. I would probably have trouble giving it away. It is a dinosaur, like the PB will eventually be. Some like me will keep these old devices running, but others will discard them and user support will diminish until at some point you feel totally abandoned! But then you will still have your beloved PB

My hope is that RIM stays with tablets, updates the OS for us existing users and issues a new cheaper to build replacement that will keep them in the tablet market. But to be honest, they may be better to concentrate on what they do best if they want to survive.
    leebunker1 likes this.
    12-07-12 09:27 PM
    The battery in the PB does have a finite life, which, for most people, will dictate how long the device will be viable.

Battery life depends on the quality of its manufacturing, how deeply it is regularly discharged, how long it is left in a discharged state, and how hot the unit typically runs.
    In some cases, but not for everyone, including me. The PB battery is relatively easy to replace. As long as there are batteries available, that won't be an issue. Batteries for electronic devices are usually available long after their production and support stops.
    12-07-12 09:56 PM
    While in a supermarket lineup, I overheard a local tech blogger talking to the cashier about her hairdresser's friend's son who thinks that BlackBerry will not be continuing to support PlayBook after Q1 2014... I was shocked!
    Lol
    12-08-12 07:31 AM
    It out lasted my 9810
    12-08-12 07:32 AM
    It'll last until they pry it from my cold, dead hands
    12-08-12 08:16 AM
    Sent mine in for repair under warranty over 2 weeks ago. The micro USB port was broken. After not hearing from them, although I sent 2 emails with no reply, I called today. After some delay they told me it was not economically feasable to repair. Told me there was water damage. Not true. They wanted to scrap it there and I said send it back.. It is still under warranty but I think they just can't be bothered with the playbook anymore. So I think the comments on playbook days are numbered may be true.
    Why would they want to scrap it there? Make no sense. They are just going to keep what you bought and trash it and leave you with nothing? Sounds fishy to me.
    PatrickMJS and Toodeurep like this.
    12-08-12 08:18 AM
    The success of BB10 will be a big determinant on PlayBook's life with regards to OS support... If BB10 becomes successful, we might be expecting continues OS support until new model or version comes out... likewise, if BB10 fails, RIM might totally abandoned the PlayBook... in business point-of-view, there is no reasonable reason to continue...

But regardless of continue or discontinue OS support, the PlayBook's physical lifespan will be totally depends on individual owner i.e. how well you are taking care your PlayBook...
    12-08-12 09:38 AM
    Let's see...

- First generation is around two years old.
    - Second generation came out a couple months ago with a faster processor, wireless data, and NFC.
    - Road map shows another PlayBook coming in 2013, probably with BB10 out of the gate.

I think the PlayBook will be around for a while.
    12-08-12 10:01 AM
    I'll say support will be dropped around June/July 2013 for existing Playbook kit. Leaving us possibly with a gimped half finished BB10 build as the final farewell.
    If the current BlackBerry PlayBook receives a half-feature set version of BlackBerry OS 10 or is unsupported for the next 4 years (2012-2016) since its debut on 19 April 2011, the hue and cry from the early adopters, in particular, will effectively sink the mobile computing platform vision heralded by CEO Thorsten Heins. This tablet has the hardware capability to run BlackBerry OS 10 for the lifetime of the rechargeable Lithium Ion battery which we hope means at least 5 years from year of manufacture of the tablet.
    12-08-12 10:15 AM
    The success of BB10 will be a big determinant on PlayBook's life with regards to OS support... If BB10 becomes successful, we might be expecting continues OS support until new model or version comes out... likewise, if BB10 fails, RIM might totally abandoned the PlayBook... in business point-of-view, there is no reasonable reason to continue.
    If BlackBerry OS 10 is a failure, there is no future for Research In Motion apart from being reduced to a patent custodian and licensor. It is not an overstatement to make the claim that BlackBerry OS 10 will determine the fate of the company. QNX does not need RIM but RIM needs QNX like humans need air to survive.
    12-08-12 10:21 AM
    If the current BlackBerry PlayBook receives a half-feature set version of BlackBerry OS 10 or is unsupported for the next 4 years (2012-2016) since its debut on 19 April 2011, the hue and cry from the early adopters, in particular, will effectively sink the mobile computing platform vision heralded by CEO Thorsten Heins. This tablet has the hardware capability to run BlackBerry OS 10 for the lifetime of the rechargeable Lithium Ion battery which we hope means at least 5 years from year of manufacture of the tablet.
    Sorry chap but thats hilarious. Add up all the active (read those that still use it and really give a damn) Playbook owners in the world and we add up.......not a lot. The playbook has already been written off by the industry over a year ago.

A load of playbook owners ******** about it being written off wont hurt RIM much. In fact the markets would probably react positively to "ailing phone maker drops failed tablet division to concentrate on core smartphone business".

When/if RIM drops the playbook it will hardly get a mention.

Like I have said many times before, I'm a HP/Palm Pre2 owner so I know all about being in the position of owning a nice but not very popular bit of kit and being dumped.

Happy to be proven wrong however. I still think there is a strong possibility of disappointment though.
    12-08-12 10:32 AM
    Hehehehe.

What's next? An article that says,

"RIM stock plunges on news that PlayBook discontinued!!!!!"

RIM stock plunged a staggering 0.0005% today as the already near-bankrupt, debt-ridden company with only 2 million active users was hit with more bad news. An unnamed analyst told this reporter that was was chatting with the doorman of the men's room in a downtown McDonalds and heard that the doorman heard from someone who heard from someone that the PlayBook is going to get discontinued because RIM needs to either pay for storage or pay the electricity bill in their one remaining small office."
    12-08-12 12:28 PM
    If BlackBerry OS 10 is a failure, there is no future for Research In Motion apart from being reduced to a patent custodian and licensor.
    Or a much smaller niche player. Again, the company had 10 million users when the iPhone came out and was on top of the world. Now they have '80 million' and 'have no choices'

It's silly, silly, silly.

Why couldn't they reduce back to the size they were in - say - 2006 - and service a specific segment, like they did in 2006? It's not "all or nothing" people.
    12-08-12 12:30 PM
    The PB for all practical retail purposes died one month after launch.

They need to clean the table off and start again with a new name and all.

The name PlayBook is now next to the word Edsel

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    As much as I hate to say it, I agree. It would've been a huge sucess if it wasn't released 3/4 of the way finished. I'm sure that BlackBerry will continue making BlackBerry tablets, but I think it might be wise to start with a new line and enter with a boom
    12-08-12 12:37 PM
    That sucks for you. Sent my mothers back for her last month for a charging port that didn't work. It was purchased the first week the playbook was released. They were to advise of repair cost so we could use the visa cards extended warranty to either repair or purchase a new one through the visa warranty. Not even a week passed and a box showed up with a refurbished playbook which we didn't want. I complained and they sent back a new one along with a letter for visa that the first couldn't be repaired. Visa then issued a cheque for the original purchase of over $630.00 and we got to keep the new pb that rim sent.

I then filled out a feedback form complaining that they should have followed direction better and if it was an "APPLE" product I could have walked into an apple store and had it replaced on the spot. I received a call and after a brief chat with the lady on the other end I was informed that they should have issued my mother a new 4g playbook for the unsatisfactory customer service and that one should arrive before the new year and she could keep the one they sent her.

She ended up with one new og pb that was manufactured in October, over $630.00 on a cheque from visa reimbursing her for the original purchase in April/May 2011 and a new 4g pb will be shipped to her this month. They went above and beyond for this customer. Try changing the way you speak to people and you'll likely end up with a better response next time.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    12-08-12 01:12 PM
    In fact the markets would probably react positively to "ailing phone maker drops failed tablet division to concentrate on core smartphone business".
    Except that smartphones are not their "core business" any more, just a major part of it. It's going to be about mobile computing, and tablets need to play a strong role in that new vision. Killing the tablet entirely would send an incredibly strong, and negative, message.

Fortunately, with that bigger picture in mind, one also realizes that it's not necessary for the tablets to do well, on their own, financially, any time real soon. RIM can carry on with them as a distant second to the phones for probably several years before it's going to matter that they're not highly profitable. Even then, it may still be an excellent strategy to keep supporting and selling the tablets, even if they have negligible margin and no profit, if it adequately supports the overall mobile computing strategy, as it clearly does.

Talk of how the PlayBook should be killed or is a failure merely because it is not (supposedly) profitable on its own comes, it seems to me, from pretty narrow thinking.
    Hgouck likes this.
    12-08-12 01:17 PM
    Except that smartphones are not their "core business" any more, just a major part of it. It's going to be about mobile computing, and tablets need to play a strong role in that new vision. Killing the tablet entirely would send an incredibly strong, and negative, message.

Fortunately, with that bigger picture in mind, one also realizes that it's not necessary for the tablets to do well, on their own, financially, any time real soon. RIM can carry on with them as a distant second to the phones for probably several years before it's going to matter that they're not highly profitable. Even then, it may still be an excellent strategy to keep supporting and selling the tablets, even if they have negligible margin and no profit, if it adequately supports the overall mobile computing strategy, as it clearly does.

Talk of how the PlayBook should be killed or is a failure merely because it is not (supposedly) profitable on its own comes, it seems to me, from pretty narrow thinking.
    Dr. Peacock's BMW glides toward the alpha parking spot in front of the cardiology wing, Frank Sinatra playing on the stereo. "Billy, show me Mr. Grande's ECG, potassium levels and current amount left on his credit card.�

BB10 on the phone in his pocket M2Med to the cars CPU: "Of course master. Data coming up on the HUD now."

P:"Hmm. Billy, take over and park while I look this over"

B:"Of course master".

P:"Oh, this doesn't look good. Billy, bump up Mr. Grande's Jantoven dose 15%, but switch to generic warfarin, this guy is gonna be broke before the bank bumps his credit card limit on Thursday.�

B (parking car and telling Mr. Grande's IV bot to dump the warfarin into his vein): "Of course master.�

P: �And I like early Sinatra. Remember for the ride home�

B: �Sorry master. You sound stressed. Shall I book Emmanuelle for after work?�

P: �I love you Billy.�

And jet packs for all. I love a good story as much as anyone. BB10 as the nexus of your life, no, the nexus of society. Storytime with Thor is especially amusing. Walk into office, drop phone in cradle, all productivity software runs off the phone. Hospitals humming under all that chewy QNX goodness etc etc.

Problem is that the odds are now in 70% favour of BB10, and the consequently the company that made it, failing. Nokia is on the ropes too. Here's what they are doing:
    "The sale of its corporate headquarters will pump a bit of cash back into its accounts, but it's best seen as part of a larger strategy; like a lizard shedding its tail to escape a predator, Nokia is hacking off as much of itself as possible so that it can focus on its core business of making money by selling handsets.� (Arstechnica quote)

Hopefully RIM's CEO will be able to make the hard decisions to maximize the chances that the company will actually survive. No RIM, no RIM tablet ever.

PS: You say, "because it is not (supposedly) profitable on its own"???
    You seem like a smart fellow. Why do you make statements qualifying or denying the abject financial failure of the PlayBook? It was over a billion in the red *a year ago* according to reports at that time. I'm pretty sure the $100 *retail* PlayBooks aren't helping RIM's bottom line this year either. You know what they say, a billion here, a billion there and pretty soon you are talking about some real money.
    jpash549 likes this.
    12-08-12 03:23 PM
    If you have to get that share price up, sometimes you have to ditch the ugly stepchild to please the markets and the stockholders.

The playbook is one ugly buck-toothed ginger haired monster as far as the markets are concerned. If it ain't Apple or Android they just aren't interested.

I could see BB10 being marginally successful (as in selling as good as or slightly better than Winmo8) and the share price raising a fraction, whereby they dump playbook on a good news day. Maybe stating a return to tablets in 2015.......
    kevinnugent likes this.
    12-08-12 05:34 PM
88 1234