The updated PB should be out soon, but how much do you think BB is going to ask for it when it's released? I think they'll sell them for $399.00 as to not make it seem so cheap but to avoid the iPad price point.
    Last edited by eric89074; 02-03-12 at 06:40 PM.
    02-03-12 06:36 PM
    It will probably be less than that as the 3G PB will come with a data plan contract. Carriers will subsidize the sticker price but will make up the subsidy through data plan charges. This is what I think will happen.
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    02-03-12 06:41 PM
    Whatever the price I will not be buying a 3G/4G/LTE BlackBerry PlayBook because the WiFi-only version plus BlackBerry Bridge suits my needs perfectly. Besides I already have a MiFi which I use from time-to-time with the BlackBerry PlayBook and its monthly pricing with flexible data plan saves me money. If I had no BlackBerry smartphone then the newer versions of the tablet would interest me.
    Bob31464, ralfyguy and Rello like this.
    02-03-12 06:47 PM
    The updated PB should be out soon, but how much do you think BB is going to ask for it when it's released? I think they'll sell them for $399.00 as to not make it seem so cheap but to avoid the iPad price point.
    The PlayBook will most likely have a lower price, as they may just be releasing 3G/4G/LTE PB's...
    02-03-12 07:30 PM
    At the moment it is free since there is no proof it really even exists. With that said, any price that goes more than a few dollars over the current three tier discount pricing will draw just about as much attention as the Playbook drew for much of last year. As far as its price being subsidized by carriers, good luck with that. At least in the US, Verizon is in bed with Google and AT&T is split three ways, but most closely allied with Apple and Microsoft. That leaves the two minor players (T-Mobile and Sprint). Of those one has barely been able to give away the Playbooks they already sell and the other is barely surviving. With the thin margins they make, don't bet on much subsidizing for the products from a company that doesn't make them much money. BTW, I just attended a major utilities conference at which Sprint was a tradeshow exhibitor. All of the products were billed as their new mobile solutions for 2012 and all had a name that stated with Galaxy, including the ones that are "coming soon." For those who respond with the US is not the center of the world, I suggest again that someone ask Nokia how that worked out for them over the past few years. You do not survive in high end consumer electronics without the US market....
    02-03-12 09:07 PM
    It doesn't make sense for the price to go up after the update. People aren't suddenly gonna run out and buy Playbooks cause OS 2.0 is out. RIM will be making a very big mistake if they price it at anything above $200. The tablet market is still in its infancy stage, a lot of people including myself don't even see the need to own any tablet, much less one that isn't anywhere near the top of the competition with its lackluster app support. But if the price is sufficiently low then people will support it. All this back and forth on the price needs to stop. Just set the price at $200. Still too much for me, but at least that's doable. I personally don't think they're worth more than $150, that's the perfect price for them.
    02-03-12 09:40 PM
    I'm not interested in buying any tablet on contract. I think its the most ridiculous concept. I may only need data for three months out of the year so why should I pay for the other 9 months?

I have a feeling they are going to be too expensive to be competitive but we'll see.
    02-03-12 09:45 PM
    I can see rim pricing it starts @ $299. Come on guys $199 for a true tablet with cam?? Give me a break. They will not make money if they sell pb with 3G that low.
    I myself happy enough to tether my bb with my pb so that the only reason why I would not upgrade.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    02-03-12 09:52 PM
    At the moment it is free since there is no proof it really even exists. With that said, any price that goes more than a few dollars over the current three tier discount pricing will draw just about as much attention as the Playbook drew for much of last year. As far as its price being subsidized by carriers, good luck with that. At least in the US, Verizon is in bed with Google and AT&T is split three ways, but most closely allied with Apple and Microsoft. That leaves the two minor players (T-Mobile and Sprint). Of those one has barely been able to give away the Playbooks they already sell and the other is barely surviving. With the thin margins they make, don't bet on much subsidizing for the products from a company that doesn't make them much money. BTW, I just attended a major utilities conference at which Sprint was a tradeshow exhibitor. All of the products were billed as their new mobile solutions for 2012 and all had a name that stated with Galaxy, including the ones that are "coming soon." For those who respond with the US is not the center of the world, I suggest again that someone ask Nokia how that worked out for them over the past few years. You do not survive in high end consumer electronics without the US market....
    This may have been the case a decade ago when the US represented 50+% of the global market.....It won't be long before that figure goes south of 20%..... This won't be the case for much longer as The US becomes a very much lowered footprint for the broader global consumer market.....Sign of the times.....Any coincidence why RIM wants to solidify their position globaly? I think not
    hackerguy likes this.
    02-03-12 09:56 PM
    Whatever the price I will not be buying a 3G/4G/LTE BlackBerry PlayBook because the WiFi-only version plus BlackBerry Bridge suits my needs perfectly. Besides I already have a MiFi which I use from time-to-time with the BlackBerry PlayBook and its monthly pricing with flexible data plan saves me money. If I had no BlackBerry smartphone then the newer versions of the tablet would interest me.
    I couldn't agree more, you took the words right out of my mouth.
    02-03-12 11:11 PM
    the 3G version will only mean one thing...

another bill you dont need to pay!
    ralfyguy likes this.
    02-03-12 11:20 PM
    $699 for early adopters. $299 after six months. Early adopters scream.

Just kidding! I'm sure Thor will be looking closely at a competitive pricing plan.
    02-03-12 11:34 PM
    I agree with OP. $399 (entry level model) is a middle price point compromise that accounts for increasingly competitive pricing but also as newer just released technology.
    Last edited by RF8655; 02-04-12 at 03:01 PM.
    02-04-12 02:53 PM
    I agree with OP. $399 (entry level model) is a middle price point compromise that accounts for increasingly competitive pricing but also as newer just released technology.
    I also think 399...but then I always thought the origional PB should have been sold for 399 so what do I know......
    02-04-12 03:11 PM
    $450 if OS2 is great and popular apps appear in app world
    Last edited by anthogag; 02-04-12 at 07:04 PM.
    02-04-12 06:39 PM
    Unless they've found a way to drastically reduce their BOM or labour costs, they would have to price this at $349-399 at the very least.

Losing money on every unit sold (like the current situation) isn't prudent business practice.

The subsidy model (through carriers) does add some hope for increasing sales of the potential v2 playbook, but it's risky.

Businesses can't continue to throw good money after bad and expect to be viable for long - unless your Apple and have $100B in cash money - then you can afford to make a few blunders here and there.
    02-04-12 09:28 PM
    Statistics show most people are not interested in paying for internet everywhere on tablets. I don't remember the number or the source, but I do remember it being some insanely low number for 3g tablets when an identical wifi only version was available.

Also, if RIM prices this thing over $299 they are idiots. Playbook sales are dismal already, nobody is going to jump on a $400 tablet when the HTC Flyer, Galaxy Tab 7plus and a variety of other well likes tablets with similar specs and a future of ICS are selling at $400 as well. At $299 RIM might sell a few, at $199 they will move a fair amout, and anything over $350 is going to get blasted in the press and they will end up siting on unsold stock for ages. Heck, you cant find but a handful of stores still stocking PB's or accessories, a low price is going to be the only thing to get retailers to buy these to sell.
    02-04-12 09:42 PM
    they cant exactly raise it too much as it doesnt look like they will have much added to justify a much higher price
    02-04-12 11:05 PM
    If they cant sell it at a fair margin why would they make it?
    02-05-12 12:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD