oh okay... is it a previously saved location, or are you manually setting up the connection each time?
    If it is saved, did you also setup a static IP for your PlayBook?
    I just setup a saved location. How do I setup a static IP?
    01-05-12 11:10 AM
    IIRC, you'll need to set that up in your router's web interface. I have not tried this, so I am not 100% Someone else may be able to chime in with those instructions.
    01-05-12 11:18 AM
    i found there was a sharing password set on my playbook and i definitely didn't set it. i didn't set a password for the device either. i tried everything I could think of to discover what the sharing password was without success.
    In the end I did a security wipe and that removed the password.
    01-05-12 11:40 AM
    Another similar method would be to follow steps 1,2 & 3, then go to your computer desktop and right -click. Then choose new shortcut. type in the IPv4 address of your playbook (example \\19.168.1.15). Then click on the "next" button. Assign a name (like playbook) and you will have a desktop shortcut to your playbook files.
    This is very cool and works great. All of the ideas in this thread are going to make the usefulness and ease of access to my PB waaay better. Thanks to everyone.
    01-07-12 12:44 PM
    you can also change the icon, download a playbook icon and use it on your desktop.
    01-07-12 02:17 PM
    On Windows XP, I get "Windows cannot find '\\192.xxx.xxx.xxx'. Check the spelling and try again..." (with my actual IP where the xxx is). What am I doing wrong? Any ideas? I would really like to make this work.

Edit: I figured it out. My ZoneAlarm firewall was blocking it. Now I just have to figure out how to get ZoneAlarm not to block it.
    Last edited by neilwick; 01-08-12 at 11:16 PM.
    01-07-12 02:39 PM
    On Windows XP, I get "Windows cannot find '\\192.xxx.xxx.xxx'. Check the spelling and try again..." (with my actual IP where the xxx is). What am I doing wrong? Any ideas? I would really like to make this work.

Edit: I figured it out. My ZoneAlarm firewall was blocking it. Now I just have to figure out how to get ZoneAlarm not to block it.
    LOL, turn it off and let Windows Firewall do the work. Nah but temporarily turn it off, handle ya biz, then turn it back on.
    01-11-12 11:12 AM
    Thanks. This worked GREAT!!!
    02-08-12 05:22 PM
    I did everything according to instructions I get the message Your computer appears to be configured correctly but the device or resource is not responding and also the message problems with wireless adapter or access point. Any Ideas?
    Thanks
    02-10-12 09:49 PM
    Is there a way to make this work while having a firewall on?
    I cant seem to find a way using AVG...

(i also havent really tried that much...)

It works when the firewall is off, but as soon as i turn it on i cant get access
    Last edited by FSeverino; 02-10-12 at 11:13 PM.
    02-10-12 11:08 PM
    This was asked earlier in the thread but don't think it has been answered, is there a way to get this to work the other way. I have mapped the pb from my pc but it would be cool to browse and copy files from pb.

Darren
    02-23-12 04:14 PM
    There is an Android app called Ghost Commander in app world that does this.

BTW, with 2.0, the PB automatically show up as a network device in Windows.
    02-23-12 05:14 PM
    Hey guys, something I just tried and got to work.

This tutorial works great but I created a shortcut to the Media location and renamed it to Playbook on my desktop.

For me, this works better because you can even put it on Taskbar and just clock it while in another program.

Im so excited!
    03-01-12 07:56 PM
    this isn't as easy as some make it out to be... i'm stuck where it asks for username and password... i put the user name as "playbook" but since i never set up a password i don't know it and it won't grant me access. I even tried turning off password protect under storage and sharing and even for that i have to enter a password i never created.
    03-08-12 10:27 PM
    this isn't as easy as some make it out to be... i'm stuck where it asks for username and password... i put the user name as "playbook" but since i never set up a password i don't know it and it won't grant me access. I even tried turning off password protect under storage and sharing and even for that i have to enter a password i never created.
    bueller? anyone?? bueller?
    03-14-12 12:29 AM
    try adding a password to your playbook and then using that.

im not sure about the name part, i dont remember if mine asked that.

Also, mine wouldnt work unless i turned my firewall off.
    03-14-12 12:36 AM
    try adding a password to your playbook and then using that.

im not sure about the name part, i dont remember if mine asked that.

Also, mine wouldnt work unless i turned my firewall off.
    yeah the problem with that is that i can't add a password without inputting the one that i supposedly created which i never did because this would be my 1st time trying this wi-fi sharing thing. the playbook password is different than the sharing password.
    03-14-12 12:53 AM
    That's a joke, and photoshop.

Doing something similar on Linux will require adding a line to /etc/fstab. Basic format is:

Code:
    //[PLAYBOOK IP]/media /mnt/playbook cifs password=[YOUR PASSWORD],uid=[YOUR USERNAME],lfs 0 0
    You can of course change /mnt/playbook to somewhere else. The lfs option is for large file support. You may want to add the noauto option so it's only mounted when you choose to. Your GUI file manager may also support it's own way of adding entries to its own "quick list", but this process is universal.
    Its is always good to see other people using GNU/Linux. By the way, I found the QNX Demo Disk ISO and had it running in a VirtualBox session. Maybe, if time permits, I will investigate how to connect to the BlackBerry PlayBook from within the QNX virtual environment though using a modern version of QNX.
    03-14-12 03:38 AM
    yeah the problem with that is that i can't add a password without inputting the one that i supposedly created which i never did because this would be my 1st time trying this wi-fi sharing thing. the playbook password is different than the sharing password.
    You sure it isn't looking for your Windows network is password?
    03-14-12 06:35 AM
    It would seem that a Security Wipe or Debrick will be necessary to clear any Password you accidentally created or that somehow imposed itself.

If you go into the Security settings and it will not allow you to enter a new password, one must be attached????
    03-14-12 09:12 AM
    You sure it isn't looking for your Windows network is password?
    i'm pretty sure as it asks for the playbook username and password, but i never created a password for wi-fi sharing...turning it off you would think it would just bypass it but just to turn it off it requires a password. the only way to disable it is by turning off the wi-fi sharing button on the playbook which then defeats the purpose.
    03-14-12 01:57 PM
    It would seem that a Security Wipe or Debrick will be necessary to clear any Password you accidentally created or that somehow imposed itself.

If you go into the Security settings and it will not allow you to enter a new password, one must be attached????
    you would think that if there was a factory set password that it would be the customary "admin" or "password" passwords but no... ok, so if i do a security wipe will that wipe all my pics, videos, apps, games?? i would hate to redownload everything again...it doesn't make any sense, if these playbooks come with a password they should tell you what it is or at the very least suggest a security wipe the moment you open the box or turn it on...
    03-14-12 02:03 PM
    Is it possible to do this the other way round, i.e. browsing your PC files from your playbook using one of the file manager type Apps ?
    It works very similar. You will have to enable sharing on your PC (for example, Enable file and printer sharing), then use some apps such as ES File Explorer (you will have to sideload it though) to browse on your PB.
    03-14-12 02:28 PM
    Okay, do you have a Password on the pb when it comes out of Standby? That one is set in Options/Security.

Then there's the password for Options/Storage-Sharing for wifi. You have FileSharing ON. You have WifiSharing ON. You have PASSSWORD-Protect?? On or off?

Which one can't you change?

But if you are really locked out, one of the "cleansing" procedures may be necessary. There is no guarantee that it will fix the problem but it might. And yes, both procedures will erase all of your data and your apps. So backup it up (tedious or time-consuming). And restoration will later be just as time-consuming.

When I did the Debrick process, there was a password question to run it. I inputted my standby-password. When the process was complete, that Password was still protecting my device. I was surprised that it was maintained (under OS1). I don't know if that is still the case but I would not input the password and that may clean out any (unless it won't debrick without the password)

Good luck.
    Last edited by F2; 03-14-12 at 02:47 PM.
    03-14-12 02:44 PM
    Works with Vista. I have been using it since the beginning.
    03-14-12 02:48 PM
123 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD