Just a few days ago I wrangled myself a BlackBerry Playbook. A bit late, but that’s not the point of this article. Since I’ve gotten it I’ve done my best to explore many of the features (and lack thereof) that it has. I could spend literally hours raving about what I love (and ranting about what I hate) but this write up is far more limited in purpose than that. I want to talk about a very nifty little feature the Playbook has, and give directions for even the most un-tech-savvy reader to be able to use it (provided you have Windows 7 – I’m not sure what people with different OSes will be able to do). Once I figure out how to do this in linux I may do an additional write up, although most linux users probably won’t need much help.

The very cool feature the Playbook has (as you might have gathered from the title of this article) is built in wireless access to your files over your WiFi network. I wish my BlackBerry had this feature, but that’s neither here nor there. Heck, as far as I can tell my Android device and iTouch don’t do this either.

Many people already know about WiFi access; I’m taking this a step farther. This will show you how to create a shortcut to your Playbook files in your Computer folder, complete with a pretty little bar showing you how much space you have left.

Ok, here we go! [insert adventure music here]

Step 1:
    Make sure your Playbook is connected to Wifi.

Step 2:
    On your Playbook, go to Storage and Sharing and enable File Sharing and Wifi Sharing. You can enable a password if you want. I didn’t bother.

Step 3: On your Playbook, go to about and select the network tab. Take note of your IP address (IPv4). It’ll be something like 192.122.2.1. Sorry that I redacted my IP address, I’m sure you understand

Step 4: On your computer, click on the top bar and type your Playbook’s IP address. Notice that there is a \\ before the IP address; you MUST include this.

That’s as far as most instructions will go. From here you can browse the file on your Playbook (media folder). Taking the next steps will make you a nifty shortcut in your Computer folder with the sexy fill bar. Basically, easy access; you don’t ever have to remember your IP address or type it in the navigation bar again.

Step 5: Right click on the media folder and select “Map Network drive…”

Step 6: Assign a Drive Letter (whatever you want, it doesn’t matter. I used P for Playbook). Click Finish.

Step 7: Have a glass of lemonade, and reflect on how cool it is that you can access your Playbook over WiFi quickly and easily by just clicking on the icon in your Computer directory.

You can browse the files on your Playbook now by clicking the Network Location. You can easily copy files to and from it whenever you want. Easy huh? You can also change the drive name by right-clicking it and selecting “Rename.”

Enjoy your Playbooks everyone, I hope this feature makes life easier and more fun for everyone.

Thanks to: http://opensourcebb.com/
    Last edited by UnknownError507; 10-17-11 at 10:24 PM.
    cmdr_dan, cxn147, Guyzer and 91 others like this.
    10-17-11 10:17 PM
    i went thru the entire process and it works great but what if i want to assign a password? what is the user name of my playbook?
    10-17-11 11:07 PM
    By my knowledge you don't have a user name just a password and that it, if you refer to your network Id/username it is you IP address. when you will be promoted to insert your password over the network it will be "playbook" if you refer to that User name.
    10-17-11 11:15 PM
    Thanks for the great tip, it worked as you described.
    10-17-11 11:20 PM
    yea.....username is playbook.. thanks
    10-17-11 11:21 PM
    You do realize that this has been covered before more than once, don't you? However, thanks for the effort - and it never hurts to bring it up again for all the newer owners!
    10-17-11 11:26 PM
    You can change the default username if you wish in the Playbook's settings.
    10-17-11 11:31 PM
    Im sorry if it was posted before, but can you please provide a link ??...cause i was hitting that search button there and nothing came UP with something like this.
    Please provide a link to the same Thread i posted and i will request the Admin/Moderator of this forum to remove this POST!
    The only link i found over the Cb Blog was with Mac/Apple Connection, not PC
    Here is the link:
    http://crackberry.com/wi-fi-file-sha...berry-playbook
    Thanks!

You do realize that this has been covered before more than once, don't you? However, thanks for the effort - and it never hurts to bring it up again for all the newer owners!
    Yes you can under Storage & Sharing ->Properties ->Username: playbook

You can change the default username if you wish in the Playbook's settings.
    Last edited by UnknownError507; 10-17-11 at 11:50 PM.
    Schmidee likes this.
    10-17-11 11:39 PM
    There's lots of new PB owners (me being one of them) and while stuff might have been covered in the past, we may not even know to search for that info. I really appreciate your posting this methods of linking the wifis.
    Scotter75, Willard814 and CdaS like this.
    10-18-11 12:19 AM
    I just did this on an XP laptop. Go to my computer and insert the IP address in the computer bar at the top. I run a password protection on my wifi transfer so I was prompted with a username and password option. I entered my name in the user name for ID purposes only and then the password for the PB and I have a file manager. I don't have the PB virtual desktop shown above. Not sure I should.
    10-18-11 12:29 AM
    I don't have the PB virtual desktop shown above. Not sure I should.
    That's a joke, and photoshop.

Once I figure out how to do this in linux I may do an additional write up, although most linux users probably won’t need much help.
    Doing something similar on Linux will require adding a line to /etc/fstab. Basic format is:

Code:
    //[PLAYBOOK IP]/media /mnt/playbook cifs password=[YOUR PASSWORD],uid=[YOUR USERNAME],lfs 0 0
    You can of course change /mnt/playbook to somewhere else. The lfs option is for large file support. You may want to add the noauto option so it's only mounted when you choose to. Your GUI file manager may also support it's own way of adding entries to its own "quick list", but this process is universal.
    10-18-11 01:55 AM
    first time ive read this on these forums. im pretty glued to this site since i bought my playbook on day 1. thanks for the tip. very useful
    Willard814 likes this.
    10-18-11 03:08 AM
    That's nice job, pictures always talk much than words, in particular for the ones who does not speak Shakespeare language (the 60% market "rest of the world" !).
    So thank you very much for the time it certainly took.

May I suggest that you put a link to this thread into the sticky "PB tips & tricks" ?
    10-18-11 04:07 AM
    Is it possible to do this the other way round, i.e. browsing your PC files from your playbook using one of the file manager type Apps ?
    K.Go likes this.
    10-18-11 04:48 AM
    amazing write up mate i have wondered why when it turns up in my workgroup list on my computer on WIFI i cant access it, but with this method i can, spot on thank you!
    actuarialal and sanggnas like this.
    10-18-11 06:47 AM
    Good step by step guide, easy to follow. I had a bit of a tough time figuring this out when I first got my Playbook and ended up creating a network shortcut to the Playbook IP address. This is even better, I can't believe I didn't think of doing this...
    Willard814 likes this.
    10-18-11 06:55 AM
    so what happens when the IP address you used in setting up the netowrk link changes because another terminal that got to the network before you takes it and ur PB is now assigned another IP address?
    10-18-11 07:21 AM
    I did something like this to turn my playbook into a keyboard for my computer. I'm going to try this one when I get home. Thanks.
    Willard814 likes this.
    10-18-11 07:47 AM
    Subscribing. Cool post. Hope to try setting it up soon.
    10-18-11 02:43 PM
    Another similar method would be to follow steps 1,2 & 3, then go to your computer desktop and right -click. Then choose new shortcut. type in the IPv4 address of your playbook (example \\19.168.1.15). Then click on the "next" button. Assign a name (like playbook) and you will have a desktop shortcut to your playbook files.
    10-18-11 03:19 PM
    It was on CB front page done by Joseph Holder link below...

Workaround for WiFi file sharing on the BlackBerry PlayBook | CrackBerry.com
    10-18-11 03:26 PM
    That's a good way to have access to you files

Another similar method would be to follow steps 1,2 & 3, then go to your computer desktop and right -click. Then choose new shortcut. type in the IPv4 address of your playbook (example \\19.168.1.15). Then click on the "next" button. Assign a name (like playbook) and you will have a desktop shortcut to your playbook files.
    10-18-11 05:13 PM
    Pfff i was looking for this on the forum and i dint find it .
    Good find Detective(no doubt your Username is Detective M Downs)
    So Mod/Admin if you think my post it was helpful enough, keep it on the forum if not please delete or close the thread.

Thank you and i hope ill come with more great info/trick for new comers to this amazing Forum.

It was on CB front page done by Joseph Holder link below...

Workaround for WiFi file sharing on the BlackBerry PlayBook | CrackBerry.com
    ---

If you have dynamic IP address you have to assign every time your PB too the according WORKGROUP IP what you'll find under setting.
    If your IP is static you dont have to worry about any settings just connect your PB as regular you did and you dont have to follow the steps again.

so what happens when the IP address you used in setting up the netowrk link changes because another terminal that got to the network before you takes it and ur PB is now assigned another IP address?
    Last edited by UnknownError507; 10-18-11 at 05:26 PM.
    10-18-11 05:18 PM
    That's a joke, and photoshop.
    I was really hoping that photo was real lol I was wondering why I didnt know about it!?!
    10-18-11 05:35 PM
    Hey there, sorry that's just a Photoshop but if you would like to have a desktop on to your PB you can use an app Called Citrix you can dowload from app world for free!
    PS: the version on there is not the latest one it will be available tomorrow, the real version was shown at the #DEVCON11 it was just pushed to app word and awaits for approve.

Enjoy.

I was really hoping that photo was real lol I was wondering why I didnt know about it!?!
    Last edited by UnknownError507; 10-18-11 at 05:52 PM.
    10-18-11 05:46 PM
123 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD