On Windows XP, I get "Windows cannot find '\\192.xxx.xxx.xxx'. Check the spelling and try again..." (with my actual IP where the xxx is). What am I doing wrong? Any ideas? I would really like to make this work.

Edit: I figured it out. My ZoneAlarm firewall was blocking it. Now I just have to figure out how to get ZoneAlarm not to block it.

well, the good news is i managed to figure out the wifi sharing password; the bad news now is that i have this same problem. tried turning off the firewalls and i still get the same notification that it cannot find my ip address. this totally blows since before i was able to at least locate the playbook but couldn't get passed the password prompt; now i don't even get that far.
    03-19-12 06:22 PM
    well, the good news is i managed to figure out the wifi sharing password; the bad news now is that i have this same problem. tried turning off the firewalls and i still get the same notification that it cannot find my ip address. this totally blows since before i was able to at least locate the playbook but couldn't get passed the password prompt; now i don't even get that far.
    Did you setup a static IP for it?
    03-19-12 06:30 PM
    yea, make sure it doesnt change the IP every time you try to connect it... i had that problem when i was trying to use my iphone4 as a mouse and EVERY time i had to re input the IP and then i finally decided to just make it static
    03-19-12 06:50 PM
    as kbz1960 noted:

Has your ip address changed through this process?

Have you tried the more generic Network (that appears fixed in OS2)?

Your "playbook" is the ID?

And I'll be nosy - how did you finally figure out the password "you did not set?" Someone else is having that same problem she claims.
    03-19-12 07:22 PM
    no i didn't. didn't think i needed to, not to mention i don't know anyway; but anyhow, i tried several times and the ip remained the same.
    03-20-12 03:50 PM
    Its just like bluetooth, it doesn't work on my boyfriend's or my playbooks. Boy, I wish it did though.
    03-26-12 05:43 PM
    ...Months after this thread was created, my Playbook mysteriously dropped all trace of the Playbook from my Network. I'm wondering if my friend's newly-purchased Playbook somehow caused my IP address to change?? (although the new playbook doesn't show up)

So I revisited the thread and followed the steps, typing in the IP address, which worked. I was then able to transfer and access files. The next time I clicked on Network, my Playbook showed up as a device, again.

Thanks to the OP and also to those raising the issue of changing IP addresses. Time will tell if that problem is happening here but, if so, I now how some tools to deal with it.
    09-14-12 11:05 AM
    first time ive read this on these forums. im pretty glued to this site since i bought my playbook on day 1. thanks for the tip. very useful
    I am the same as you. New to PlayBook and now my Z10 and I have never been off this site. I didn't even know how to make a phone call in the Z10....but this forum is GREAT

I also just followed the instructions the above poster made and right now I am transfering a film from my playbook to my pc...which was from that originally until I had to do a clean install and lost everything...don't ask!
    02-12-13 01:08 PM
    Here is the answer to login credentials if so asked for on Windows:

User Name - go to settings on PlayBook by dragging down from the top bezel. Select Storage And Sharing, and next to Network Identification, click Properties. See that line that says Username? Derp! Make it whatever you want. That will be your User Name for Windows login credentials when trying to connect to your PlayBook.

Password - when you enable Wi-Fi sharing, it asks for a password. Whatever you make it will be your Password for Windows login credentials when trying to connect to your PlayBook.

Now go and swap freely between your PC and PlayBook!
    03-27-13 08:51 AM
    Just a few days ago I wrangled myself a BlackBerry Playbook. A bit late, but that�s not the point of this article. Since I�ve gotten it I�ve done my best to explore many of the features (and lack thereof) that it has. I could spend literally hours raving about what I love (and ranting about what I hate) but this write up is far more limited in purpose than that. I want to talk about a very nifty little feature the Playbook has, and give directions for even the most un-tech-savvy reader to be able to use it (provided you have Windows 7 � I�m not sure what people with different OSes will be able to do). Once I figure out how to do this in linux I may do an additional write up, although most linux users probably won�t need much help.

The very cool feature the Playbook has (as you might have gathered from the title of this article) is built in wireless access to your files over your WiFi network. I wish my BlackBerry had this feature, but that�s neither here nor there. Heck, as far as I can tell my Android device and iTouch don�t do this either.

Many people already know about WiFi access; I�m taking this a step farther. This will show you how to create a shortcut to your Playbook files in your Computer folder, complete with a pretty little bar showing you how much space you have left.

Ok, here we go! [insert adventure music here]

Step 1:
    Make sure your Playbook is connected to Wifi.
    http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...B%20Pics/1.jpg

Step 2:
    On your Playbook, go to Storage and Sharing and enable File Sharing and Wifi Sharing. You can enable a password if you want. I didn�t bother.
    http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...B%20Pics/2.jpg

Step 3: On your Playbook, go to about and select the network tab. Take note of your IP address (IPv4). It�ll be something like 192.122.2.1. Sorry that I redacted my IP address, I�m sure you understand
    http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...B%20Pics/3.jpg

Step 4: On your computer, click on the top bar and type your Playbook�s IP address. Notice that there is a \\ before the IP address; you MUST include this.
    http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...B%20Pics/4.png

That�s as far as most instructions will go. From here you can browse the file on your Playbook (media folder). Taking the next steps will make you a nifty shortcut in your Computer folder with the sexy fill bar. Basically, easy access; you don�t ever have to remember your IP address or type it in the navigation bar again.

Step 5: Right click on the media folder and select �Map Network drive��
    http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...B%20Pics/5.png

Step 6: Assign a Drive Letter (whatever you want, it doesn�t matter. I used P for Playbook). Click Finish.
    http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...B%20Pics/6.png

Step 7: Have a glass of lemonade, and reflect on how cool it is that you can access your Playbook over WiFi quickly and easily by just clicking on the icon in your Computer directory.
    http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...B%20Pics/7.png

You can browse the files on your Playbook now by clicking the Network Location. You can easily copy files to and from it whenever you want. Easy huh? You can also change the drive name by right-clicking it and selecting �Rename.�

Enjoy your Playbooks everyone, I hope this feature makes life easier and more fun for everyone.

Thanks to: Open Source BlackBerry – OSBB ← BlackBerry hybrids, news, opinion and open source resources. Your PlayBook headquarters
    With one exception, this is a superb reply to a fellow forum member asking for help with a problem, even though it has been asked before. Well done.

The only part of the post that I find extremely difficult to find any benefit from either technically or personally is the bit about the lemonade? This means I will never be able to connect my pb over wifi because I can't get past that point where I have to drink lemonade. Have you another version of your instructions that include brandy?
    03-27-13 09:32 AM
    THIS,,, IS,,, AWESOME!!!
    04-05-13 05:08 PM
    Wow,we need more stuff like this. Such useful posts in the forum is what will make the PB a great tablet. Illustrations, illustrations.
    Thanks a million.
    04-05-13 05:21 PM
    has anyone been able to do this w/ a phone???
    04-07-13 10:55 AM
    has anyone been able to do this w/ a phone???
    Interesting idea. Does bb10 on the z10 allow that type of drive mapping or even wifi sharing?

I have FileScout with its wifi module on my 9930 and I can open access to the 9930 using my desktop browser and my pb browser. But it is not quite the same.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    04-07-13 11:38 AM
    The Z10 can share on its own. You just have to turn it on, and authorize your external device access. I've allowed access to my TV and PS3. What I find really cool is the play on feature of my Z10. Played a vid str8 from my phone onto my TV. Controlled playback with my Z10 as well. Totally awesome keep in mind a smart TV is required.
    04-07-13 01:26 PM
    Interesting idea. Does bb10 on the z10 allow that type of drive mapping or even wifi sharing?

I have FileScout with its wifi module on my 9930 and I can open access to the 9930 using my desktop browser and my pb browser. But it is not quite the same.
    i've been messin' w/ this idea for a couple days now,,, started a thread on it if you run across any ideas...

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...apping-792854/
    04-08-13 10:07 AM
    You can use a third party app such as File-hub.
    Is it possible to do this the other way round, i.e. browsing your PC files from your playbook using one of the file manager type Apps ?
    04-08-13 09:52 PM
    Just a few days ago I wrangled myself a BlackBerry Playbook. A bit late, but that�s not the point of this article. Since I�ve gotten it I�ve done my best to explore many of the features (and lack thereof) that it has. I could spend literally hours raving about what I love (and ranting about what I hate) but this write up is far more limited in purpose than that. I want to talk about a very nifty little feature the Playbook has, and give directions for even the most un-tech-savvy reader to be able to use it (provided you have Windows 7 � I�m not sure what people with different OSes will be able to do). Once I figure out how to do this in linux I may do an additional write up, although most linux users probably won�t need much help.

The very cool feature the Playbook has (as you might have gathered from the title of this article) is built in wireless access to your files over your WiFi network. I wish my BlackBerry had this feature, but that�s neither here nor there. Heck, as far as I can tell my Android device and iTouch don�t do this either.

Many people already know about WiFi access; I�m taking this a step farther. This will show you how to create a shortcut to your Playbook files in your Computer folder, complete with a pretty little bar showing you how much space you have left.

Ok, here we go! [insert adventure music here]

Step 1:
    Make sure your Playbook is connected to Wifi.
    http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...B%20Pics/1.jpg

Step 2:
    On your Playbook, go to Storage and Sharing and enable File Sharing and Wifi Sharing. You can enable a password if you want. I didn�t bother.
    http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...B%20Pics/2.jpg

Step 3: On your Playbook, go to about and select the network tab. Take note of your IP address (IPv4). It�ll be something like 192.122.2.1. Sorry that I redacted my IP address, I�m sure you understand
    http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...B%20Pics/3.jpg

Step 4: On your computer, click on the top bar and type your Playbook�s IP address. Notice that there is a \\ before the IP address; you MUST include this.
    http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...B%20Pics/4.png

That�s as far as most instructions will go. From here you can browse the file on your Playbook (media folder). Taking the next steps will make you a nifty shortcut in your Computer folder with the sexy fill bar. Basically, easy access; you don�t ever have to remember your IP address or type it in the navigation bar again.

Step 5: Right click on the media folder and select �Map Network drive��
    http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...B%20Pics/5.png

Step 6: Assign a Drive Letter (whatever you want, it doesn�t matter. I used P for Playbook). Click Finish.
    http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...B%20Pics/6.png

Step 7: Have a glass of lemonade, and reflect on how cool it is that you can access your Playbook over WiFi quickly and easily by just clicking on the icon in your Computer directory.
    http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...B%20Pics/7.png

You can browse the files on your Playbook now by clicking the Network Location. You can easily copy files to and from it whenever you want. Easy huh? You can also change the drive name by right-clicking it and selecting �Rename.�

Enjoy your Playbooks everyone, I hope this feature makes life easier and more fun for everyone.

Thanks to: Open Source BlackBerry – OSBB ← BlackBerry hybrids, news, opinion and open source resources. Your PlayBook headquarters
    i too would like to say that this a very good post but my question and sorry i did not see it anywhere in the post are the pictures.
    cannot see them as you all know one is worth 1000 words, i went to other site following the link found the article and the same thing no picture can someone please post it as a PDF or some other document, please....
    04-11-13 02:10 PM
    I would guess that the original photos or site where they were stored is no longer accessible.
    El Bori likes this.
    04-11-13 02:46 PM
    i too would like to say that this a very good post but my question and sorry i did not see it anywhere in the post are the pictures.
    cannot see them as you all know one is worth 1000 words, i went to other site following the link found the article and the same thing no picture can someone please post it as a PDF or some other document, please....
    Just turned on to this thread and the pictures automatically popped up, I am using CB Forums which is associated with tapatalk which probably is hosting the pictures.

Went over to Crackberry app and found the URLs to go to listed in blue. The pictures are in Photobucket. Very Klutzy to use as compared to the way they automatically pop up in CB Forums.
    Last edited by jpash549; 04-11-13 at 04:12 PM.
    04-11-13 04:00 PM
    All I can say is cool! I did not know I could do this Awesome!
    04-11-13 04:24 PM
    I had the problem that for some reason I could'nt link my sons playbook to my computer which is windows 8 with the lead and woz working at all had loads of different people coming round to see if they could work out why come on here and read your step by step guild and ive done it so thank you very much
    12-13-13 03:38 PM
    This is an old thread, but it saved me, thank you! I have a new Win7 laptop that I just can't seem to get drivers loaded for the PB. This fix works really well for me, thanks!
    04-19-16 05:18 AM
123 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD