I don't have a home network setup I just connect everything to the router for Internet. Not sure if I ever enabled file sharing on my laptop but the //IP works fine.
    03-14-12 03:17 PM
    Works with Vista. I have been using it since the beginning.
    Vista, here, too, and it works. Well, rim did break something that allowed access through the "network" initially. Whatever "network" means. After the breakage, you needed to use the ip-address which works, too.

But as someone pointed out the other day, it now works (again, on my system using Vista), NETWORK (My computer, left column, network), seems to be working again.
    03-14-12 04:11 PM
    can't get it to work, will try again another day when I don't have a headache!
    03-14-12 04:16 PM
    Okay, do you have a Password on the pb when it comes out of Standby? That one is set in Options/Security.

Then there's the password for Options/Storage-Sharing for wifi. You have FileSharing ON. You have WifiSharing ON. You have PASSSWORD-Protect?? On or off?

Which one can't you change?

But if you are really locked out, one of the "cleansing" procedures may be necessary. There is no guarantee that it will fix the problem but it might. And yes, both procedures will erase all of your data and your apps. So backup it up (tedious or time-consuming). And restoration will later be just as time-consuming.

When I did the Debrick process, there was a password question to run it. I inputted my standby-password. When the process was complete, that Password was still protecting my device. I was surprised that it was maintained (under OS1). I don't know if that is still the case but I would not input the password and that may clean out any (unless it won't debrick without the password)

Good luck.
    the wi-fi sharing and the playbook standby passwords are 2 different passwords. it is the wifi sharing password that cannot be changed or disabled unless you enter a password. which i never had the need to do since this is my 1st time trying wifi sharing. i guess i'll have to do a security wipe and start from scratch, or just connect via usb as that is not a problem to do, just wanted to try the wifi sharing in case i didn't have my usb cable with me, which is often since most playbook covers don't come with a usb compartment.
    03-14-12 04:23 PM
    And the password(s) are not the same? I did make mine the same.

And "playbook" is the Username (from Storage & Sharing)?

After that, I'm out of ideas.

Did you try using the Network method? Above, I suggested, MyComputer (windows), Left Column (somewhere will be Network). Double click it. RightPanel, I see my 2 PB's. Click down on the PBxxx to Media? It may also ask for Password.
    03-14-12 05:28 PM
    And the password(s) are not the same? I did make mine the same.

And "playbook" is the Username (from Storage & Sharing)?

After that, I'm out of ideas.

Did you try using the Network method? Above, I suggested, MyComputer (windows), Left Column (somewhere will be Network). Double click it. RightPanel, I see my 2 PB's. Click down on the PBxxx to Media? It may also ask for Password.
    Ok, maybe you were able to make yours the same and i would have done so too except when i tried it asked me for the password i never created. And the issue isn't that my pc can't recognize the playbook as it shows up in MyComputer under the username and ip address. The problem is when you go to MAP it that is when it asks for the password which is not the standby password...i guess i'll pick a slow day and security wipe it and redownload everything again...just wish they had an app for that. (no pun intended)
    03-16-12 08:38 PM
    Ok, maybe you were able to make yours the same and i would have done so too except when i tried it asked me for the password i never created. And the issue isn't that my pc can't recognize the playbook as it shows up in MyComputer under the username and ip address. The problem is when you go to MAP it that is when it asks for the password which is not the standby password...i guess i'll pick a slow day and security wipe it and redownload everything again...just wish they had an app for that. (no pun intended)
    Can you look at its contents under MyComputer? Or are you still asked for a password? I have mapped mine but generally just browse it with Explorer looking at the Media folder.
    03-16-12 09:27 PM
    Can you look at its contents under MyComputer? Or are you still asked for a password? I have mapped mine but generally just browse it with Explorer looking at the Media folder.
    No i cannot see see it's contents because it isn't mapped yet. Clicking on the media folder of the playbook prompts it to enter username and password.

You're probably able to do so because you entered a password the 1st time and it doesn't ask you after that.
    03-16-12 09:46 PM
    Had the same problem when I first purchased the PB, tried everything, all the suggestions I found here, mapping, password, etc. nothing worked. After OS2 update it miraculously showed up in my home network and can now transfer files wirelessly to and from the PB to any computer on the network. Sweet!! I do not have password enabled under file sharing.
    03-16-12 10:01 PM
    With wifi sharing I move/copy all kinds of files between my computer and the pb. 2gig video files, mp3 files, pics, docs, entire folders. I use drag/drop or copy. Nice not to have to over-use the small usb port.

Works great however, when I tried to copy a video file off my laptop to the video folder on my PB I got the following NETWORK ERROR:

Windows cannot access \\192.xxx.x.xx\media

Anyone?

TIA
    03-17-12 07:00 AM
    Works great however, when I tried to copy a video file off my laptop to the video folder on my PB I got the following NETWORK ERROR:

Windows cannot access \\192.xxx.x.xx\media

Anyone?

TIA
    Did the ip change?
    03-17-12 07:02 AM
    Did the ip change?

Nope. Just accessed a Hendrix tune off my PB and am listening to it now on my laptop as I type this.
    03-17-12 07:11 AM
    You can map to your PlayBooks network name instead of IP. Swipe in from the upper right corner, hit settings (gear), select Storage & Sharing, then Network Identification Properties. Use the Tablet Network Name instead of the IP address when mapping, and you won't have to worry about IPs changing.
    HershL likes this.
    03-17-12 07:22 AM
    Does this expose the PB files to the Internet?
    Chaddface likes this.
    03-17-12 07:32 AM
    Excellent post i was looking for something like this.!!!!!
    03-17-12 07:44 AM
    Does this expose the PB files to the Internet?
    If you don't have a password enabled, and your wifi is connected to a public network like the library, hotel or coffee shop, then yes, you're exposed to the users on the local network.
    03-17-12 07:46 AM
    Did the ip change?
    Now just clicked on the Videos icon on the PB and that file WAS copied onto it from my laptop.

Weird.
    03-17-12 07:48 AM
    ok, set this all up and all seems fine but when i try to transfer anything it says access denied you need permission to perform this action, wtf my own laptop on my home network. help! thanks in advance . tony
    03-17-12 08:14 AM
    You can map to your PlayBooks network name instead of IP. Swipe in from the upper right corner, hit settings (gear), select Storage & Sharing, then Network Identification Properties. Use the Tablet Network Name instead of the IP address when mapping, and you won't have to worry about IPs changing.
    I will have to try this method. I've assigned a static address using settings on the pb.
    03-17-12 09:38 AM
    You STILL have to put a password doing it that way too though.
    03-17-12 05:26 PM
    I would GUESS that if the pb "thinks" it is password protected for wifi sharing, any method to try and access it via wifi will need a password.

Let me ask (sorry if you covered it), you can access the pb using a usb cord? You can see the pb's folders and copy/move/delete/etc files on the pb from a computer?

So it is just wifi access that is messed up?

I have not entered/setup a password in a while so I don't recall the verification - any chance you may have just entered a SPACE key accidentally?
    Last edited by F2; 03-17-12 at 06:37 PM.
    03-17-12 06:35 PM
    I used to have to type //playbook ip address. Now it just comes up under network on Windows 7 after os2.0
    03-17-12 06:38 PM
    I used to have to type //playbook ip address. Now it just comes up under network on Windows 7 after os2.0
    OS 2.0 must have fixed it.
    I just tried it and it does work now.
    03-18-12 08:18 AM
    this should be a sticky
    03-18-12 04:04 PM
    I would GUESS that if the pb "thinks" it is password protected for wifi sharing, any method to try and access it via wifi will need a password.

Let me ask (sorry if you covered it), you can access the pb using a usb cord? You can see the pb's folders and copy/move/delete/etc files on the pb from a computer?

So it is just wifi access that is messed up?

I have not entered/setup a password in a while so I don't recall the verification - any chance you may have just entered a SPACE key accidentally?
    Yes
    Yes
    And no since i never set it up before.

*apparently going through a list of passwords i have used before on other occasions for other things did the trick. odd since i never set up wifi sharing before
    Last edited by omega supreme; 03-19-12 at 06:25 PM. Reason: *solved password problem
    03-18-12 10:05 PM
123 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD