I noticed that wifi sharing in desktop manager is limited to just text files. if you click on picture,videos,music it says to connect via usb... is this method a workaround that?
    12-05-11 02:26 PM
    Question about step 7. Can we drink beer instead of lemonade?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-05-11 02:43 PM
    With wifi sharing I move/copy all kinds of files between my computer and the pb. 2gig video files, mp3 files, pics, docs, entire folders. I use drag/drop or copy. Nice not to have to over-use the small usb port.
    Last edited by F2; 12-05-11 at 04:19 PM.
    12-05-11 04:15 PM
    i can't get past the password.... Ive even tried to change it and turn it off successfully, but on my PC it's asking me for a passsword. and the password I used to protect my PB didnt work. Some how I got it to turn off, but it is still asking for a password. A blank field prompts a wrong password... any thoughts?
    kenorian likes this.
    01-03-12 10:03 PM
    Usually, you need an ID and Password. Is your ID known to you besides your password?
    nad1157 likes this.
    01-03-12 11:45 PM
    I believe the ID is the user name, correct? I have my default user name right now so when I am trying to connect from my laptop (win7. ent. 64) i enter "PLAYBOOK-xxx\playbook" in the user name field, and the what I thought was my password in the password field. How do I find the default file sharing password to change it? As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread its not the same as the one I set up to password protect my PB... so I cant even change it to what I'd like it to be since I dont know the original one to remove.
    01-04-12 05:01 AM
    Try entering just "playbook" as the user name. If you forgot the original file sharing password I think that the only way to reset it is to do a security wipe. If there were an easy way to bypass the device's security then passwords would be rather pointless.
    01-04-12 05:46 AM
    Try entering just "playbook" as the user name. If you forgot the original file sharing password I think that the only way to reset it is to do a security wipe. If there were an easy way to bypass the device's security then passwords would be rather pointless.
    I have to change the login to "PLAYBOOK-xxx\playbook" or else it it is asking me to login on my local machine with "MyPC\username" - "MyPC" being the domain vs PLAYBOOK. unless I am missing something here.

I never knew there was an original file sharing password, so there has to be one by default if I never set it up and it was setup out of the box. I've only had my PB a few weeks and this is my first go-round of trying to wifi file share, so again I never set it up before, I would think there has to be a default password.
    01-04-12 08:26 AM
    I use ID as "playbook" (I don't know is upper/lower case matters). My password for wifi sharing is the same as the one I use for the pb when I turn it on.

So after rebooting either computer or pb, I will sometimes get prompted. I enter

playbook
    password

into the prompt box.
    01-04-12 10:20 AM
    So can you not access a NAS drive from the PB that's mapped on your home network ? ?
    01-04-12 10:25 AM
    You do realize that this has been covered before more than once, don't you? However, thanks for the effort - and it never hurts to bring it up again for all the newer owners!
    Not to this depth. Whatever. Can't get tone. Waaah ! I have multiple accounts on my PC, all PSWD protected. Shoot, I have twp PWDs on my PB, one to use and another to share. When I double click on my media file icon on my PC, it wants my user name and PSWD. Which one ? Dunno. Tells me no, use another account. I think my problem is my son Paul: he has my various PCs on a network and I'll bet I need his magic to get tone. Waaaaah! Doc Neutron

PS Great post !!

Added notes:

Paul says I'm close because I CAN ping my PB from my PC. He says that there must have been a default
    username/PSWD for the PB, but all I know about are the PSWDs. What ?

ANSWER: Duh, USER NAME, (GROUP) set in same area where PSWD is set on PB. Wooot !

What / How would one go from PB to PC ?
    Last edited by DoctorNeutron; 01-04-12 at 02:58 PM. Reason: more results
    01-04-12 01:36 PM
    my old xp is in the basement, filled with videos and pics, itunes and handbrake for recoding videos. the snappy vista laptop is upstairs, network mapped to the xp. my playbook is wifi mapped on the laptop.

so all i have to do is use the laptop, grab a video off the xp, and drag to my playbook. voila!

oh, so sweet.
    01-04-12 03:00 PM
    Im debating a factory reset to see if I can try to do this again, and write everything down this time... I usually just use a scheme when creating a password so that i can identify the password while keeping it strong and easy to remember as well as change every few months/weeks. This being so new I cant figure what else it could be other then my usual first scheme.
    01-04-12 03:38 PM
    Im debating a factory reset to see if I can try to do this again, and write everything down this time... I usually just use a scheme when creating a password so that i can identify the password while keeping it strong and easy to remember as well as change every few months/weeks. This being so new I cant figure what else it could be other then my usual first scheme.
    Whoa ! Sounds harsh. Get to where you think you should be connected. Do like the thread says to type in your PBs IP address in a PC Windows Exporer pane pointed at the top of your hardware tree. When you hit return, can you see a window open up that has two folder icons like certs Share and media Share ?

Either way, don't give up. Open a cmd window on your PC and type "ping xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa" and see what happens. Don't easily give up. Remember: Windows can spot fear and loathing and lives off of both ! Review your "Storage & Sharing" settings, including "Network Identification". Doc Neutron
    Serkle K likes this.
    01-04-12 05:22 PM
    Just beware that if the playbook gets assigned a different IP address from the router then this wont be able to connect anymore as it connected via the IP address and not the name.
    If the playbook as a name then you should be able to connect by typing:

\\"name" like with a PC name.

Or you could go in your router and configure the playbook to always get the same IP.
    01-04-12 05:32 PM
    In Linux this is even easier than in Windows.

Assuming you are running KDE.

start menu > File Tools . Konqueror

when in konqueror

Go > Network Folders > Add Network Folder

This will give you a screen to add your details. these are name you want to give the folder, address is the IP address of the device (I set my router to static IP for the playbook) and folder which is 'media'.

The next screen asks for username ('playbook' unless you changed it on the device) and password (which is whatever password you set in wifi sharing on the device).

Konqueror then opens the folder you have just created and shows you everything in your device media folder.

You may get asked to enter the username and password again depending on flavour of linux installed.

This is then stored in konqieror.
    01-04-12 05:41 PM
    Thanks for sharing this great how to do stuff..this is great for newcomer to playbook; who care whether it has been taught before - if it has the tutorials have been buried and not easily found. This is a good refresh!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    01-04-12 05:42 PM
    Thanks works great

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    01-04-12 06:11 PM
    Just beware that if the playbook gets assigned a different IP address from the router then this wont be able to connect anymore as it connected via the IP address and not the name.
    If the playbook as a name then you should be able to connect by typing:

\\"name" like with a PC name.

Or you could go in your router and configure the playbook to always get the same IP.
    I don't know about the "name" thing but the ip address changing is something to remember and point out to folks. I had a shortcut and had to keep editing it each time a new ip address was assigned. I finally followed some instructions on making it static on the PB. (my router does not support static addressing).
    01-04-12 06:18 PM
    yea.....username is playbook.. thanks

Perfect thanks!
    01-04-12 06:44 PM
    Whoa ! Sounds harsh. Get to where you think you should be connected. Do like the thread says to type in your PBs IP address in a PC Windows Exporer pane pointed at the top of your hardware tree. When you hit return, can you see a window open up that has two folder icons like certs Share and media Share ?

Either way, don't give up. Open a cmd window on your PC and type "ping xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa" and see what happens. Don't easily give up. Remember: Windows can spot fear and loathing and lives off of both ! Review your "Storage & Sharing" settings, including "Network Identification". Doc Neutron
    Thanks for the support and encouragement Doc.

Yes, I can get to that point on my PC, however its the credentials that seem to be the issue. From what Ive read earlier in this thread, as well as a few others from a google search, there seems to he a discrepancy on what the password maybe for the wifi file sharing credentials. Seeing how this is my first attempt at trying to use this feature, I believe there should be some kind of default password. According to some it should be the same as the password that I have setup to password protect my entire PB, which would make sense. However, that password is not working. Others read that it is NOT the same password as the one I previously setup the protect my PB, when then leads me to believe there should be some default password for this feature specifically. That default password, whatever it is/was is beyond me and I am not able to find any KB info on this on the BlackBerry PlayBook support site.

It seems as though the timing of the factory restore article posted in the front of CB is a hint that i should make a backup and restore to factory to see if I can get this to work as opposed to doing a security wipe and risk losing everything. Although, the next question would be, "Does a factory reset do the same as a security wipe?" By definition I would thinn not, and a factory reset would make it like as if it were fresh out of the box again, so once I get this all restored and import my backup, I should be able to try this wifi file sharing setup from scratch. It should allow me to determine if my password is the same or different.

Sadly I work in IT so you would think I should know what is going wrong here and fix it...
    01-05-12 05:08 AM
    Does this keep working when switching both to a different wifi network on a different location? E.G. from work to home etc.

ALSO: I've gotten through the whole process and I can see the memory bar too but when I open the location all I see is a file called ".metadata.never.index" and no files or folders whatsoever. What's this about?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jonathan-Archer; 01-05-12 at 08:48 AM.
    01-05-12 08:43 AM
    ^^ In my situation, yes it does. I can access it with the IP, however, I Cannot get past seeing the folder shares without the proper credentials.

Not sure what your second part is about.
    01-05-12 08:51 AM
    Not sure what your second part is about.
    Well basically, I can't see any of the files. Just the location at My Computer.
    01-05-12 08:58 AM
    oh okay... is it a previously saved location, or are you manually setting up the connection each time?

If it is saved, did you also setup a static IP for your PlayBook?

This also leads me to wonder if I can add my PB to my work domain by changing the "workgroup" status to my works domain name to get to our internal sharepoint a lot easier?? But I could be getting ahead of myself... one thing at a time.
    01-05-12 09:51 AM
123 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD