View Poll Results: Who lost their contacts and calendars?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • I lost my contacts only

19 10.22%
  • I lost my calendar only

29 15.59%
  • I lost contacts and calendar

24 12.90%
  • I lost the use of my camera, can I vote?

3 1.61%
  • I haven't lost anything so the problem doesn't exist for anyone else either .

111 59.68%
10-17-12 01:15 AM
90 1234
tools

First off a big DART to those chastising the people without backups. I haven't been able to do a backup since June and I KNOW I'm not alone.
    Second, will a full backup from an old OS be any good with a new OS? I'm thinking no, it will revert the playbook back to the old OS if you use it, which isn't very helpful if you're wanting to update.

Updating from the 2.1 beta to this has only cost/lost me my two appointments, everything else is good to go.
    My sympathies to those who've lost much more than I have.
    10-04-12 08:40 AM
    I agree with above post, no ripping the non-backup believers. Backup issues with the PB are not uncommon.

As far as my upgrade is concerned, I didn't back up as well, but had no issues. I am pleasantly surprised with the update. It is a step in the right direction.

For those who lost items, out of curiosity, have you ever rooted your PB at any point?
    10-04-12 09:09 AM
    Intredesting.

Contacts are fine.
    Calender is 1/2 fine. For example, it remembered my events from Facebook, but forgot my facebook birthdays.

I'm not concerned that I've lost any data. I never use the built in Calender database and prefer to use my gmail calender account back end (so i can access via the web and have it synch with my phone as well)

But it's kind of frustrating that suddenly things just aren't showing up anymore

hopeing a reboot and resynch fixes it. else i'm concerned that the playbook is no longer reliable scheduler
    Last edited by Sprawl; 10-04-12 at 10:02 AM.
    10-04-12 09:25 AM
    I didn't loose anything, I voted on the last option, but don't really know what anyone else lost. I've had successful updates since May 2011, knock on wood ( knocking ). I suggest always backup info before updating any device.
    halgary likes this.
    10-04-12 10:02 AM
    I lost my native playbook contacts, no problems with hotmail contacts. Can anyone explain how to back up playbook contacts, desktop manager gives this option for my torch 9810 but not with playbook.
    10-04-12 10:46 AM
    Can't say anything lost but it took four restarts, including two hard restarts, and about 90 minutes before they came back. What's with that?
    10-04-12 11:24 AM
    Everyone just SLOW DOWN...it takes awhile for the contacts and calendars to repopulate and sync, and may take awhile before a pop up appears asking you to accept a certificate (if one of your account required it). Also, quite possible one or more accounts need to be deleted and re-entered, but just SLOW DOWN and wait. It took my PB about 30 minutes or longer before everything appeared again, and that's after waiting about 20 minutes for my accounts to become visible because one email account required me to accept a certificate and it took some time to appear. It's all there now including the newly synced IMAP folder option.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    10-04-12 11:42 AM
    All I lost was Facebook birthdays (events remained) and, as asked above, no I have never rooted, dingleberried, or even sideloaded android apps. My Playbook is my baby and I treat her with dignity and respect. That said, I'm good with the update overall.
    10-04-12 11:42 AM
    I don't know if you read my first post, but I did say I wasn't gettin on em. To backup or not to backup. I believe that's a no brainer. Anywho, its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Best practice is to keep a your backup at least 3 months. Im just sayin.

First off a big DART to those chastising the people without backups. I haven't been able to do a backup since June and I KNOW I'm not alone.
    Second, will a full backup from an old OS be any good with a new OS? I'm thinking no, it will revert the playbook back to the old OS if you use it, which isn't very helpful if you're wanting to update.

Updating from the 2.1 beta to this has only cost/lost me my two appointments, everything else is good to go.
    If you haven't been able to do a backup since June, call RIM. There is obviously a problem with your device. I don't know the details behind your issues and its rather unfortunate. I'm on my 3rd PB because the 1st 2 had issues, you best believe I have backups. It's a safe practice that can prevent some major headaches in the event of a catastrophe. Also a backup does not restore the whole OS, whether its full, incremental, or differential. (Sorry IT Talk) A backup allows you to restore what you want or need.

I agree with above post, no ripping the non-backup believers. Backup issues with the PB are not uncommon.

As far as my upgrade is concerned, I didn't back up as well, but had no issues. I am pleasantly surprised with the update. It is a step in the right direction.

For those who lost items, out of curiosity, have you ever rooted your PB at any point?
    10-04-12 12:51 PM

Nope, never rooted.
    10-04-12 12:53 PM
    Can't say anything lost but it took four restarts, including two hard restarts, and about 90 minutes before they came back. What's with that?
    Hard restart... I'm not sure how that could help, but I'll give it a shot anyways. How do you hard restart again?
    10-04-12 12:56 PM
    Everyone just SLOW DOWN...it takes awhile for the contacts and calendars to repopulate and sync, and may take awhile before a pop up appears asking you to accept a certificate
    Well, I wonder what it would sync with, since everything was local.

As for the pop-up, it's instant : welcome to your contacts, please enter an account (and if you entered some of your contacts manually and trusted us to keep your data intact, you are so out of luck)
    Last edited by Playboook; 10-04-12 at 01:02 PM.
    10-04-12 01:00 PM
    Native contacts are fine but no calendar items have appeared from FB. Shouldn't take 24 hours to sync.

Broke

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    10-04-12 01:33 PM
    Hard restart... I'm not sure how that could help, but I'll give it a shot anyways. How do you hard restart again?
    Push start button and volume up and down buttons simultaneously. You might have to hold them for a few seconds.
    Playboook likes this.
    10-04-12 01:49 PM
    The poll doesn't differentiate between the experience of people using online/synched calendars and people using the local calendar. To my knowledge, every person using the local calendar lost all their data. No amount of restarting/resetting has brought back local calendar data; it's only restored the synched calendars.

It's unbelievable, to me, that after taking a year to supply us with a calendar app, RIM has screwed up our use of it with its next update.
    10-05-12 05:08 AM
    I didn't lose anything because I never trust anything strategic to the playbook.

Anything it receives is cloud based. It's more like a toy now in the household.
    10-05-12 05:15 AM

Thanks for the DART.
    Second, a full backup performs only files, data and settings backup, NOT the OS. Yet you can run into incompatibility issues if you're under beta and want to downgrade.

P.s: there's in some people mind a doubt about contacts and calendar being saved in a full backup. That much I had to ask a direct question to @blackberryhelp via Twitter (I strongly suggest those having issues backuping do the same to get their problem solved). Here's the answer : YES they are saved by full backup.
    pickles#WP, louzer and PatrickMJS like this.
    10-05-12 05:37 AM
    well I convinced my Dad to do the update last night, after doing my PB update all okay (eventually) but he's lost all calendar entries (he only ever used the local calendar) and is fuming - 'Roll on Ipad' were his words.

It's incredible to beleive that an update was tested, without ensuring such issues wouldn't hapen. Could you imagine putting on new firmware to your phone and losing all contacts on there? Creating backups is fair enough, and good practice but I'm afraid we live in a world where users expect things to 'just work'. 'Have you tried hard-reboots?' 'Have you restarted and waited half an hour for your information to appear again?'

Waiting half an hour, seriously?! Don't get me wrong, I love my playbook and use it every day, all the time - but come on RIM, you're better than this surely.
    pickles#WP likes this.
    10-05-12 05:46 AM
    ... a full backup performs only files, data and settings backup, NOT the OS. Yet you can run into incompatibility issues if you're under beta and want to downgrade.

P.s: there's in some people mind a doubt about contacts and calendar being saved in a full backup. That much I had to ask a direct question to @blackberryhelp via Twitter (I strongly suggest those having issues backuping do the same to get their problem solved). Here's the answer : YES they are saved by full backup.
    Thanks for your help.

As I wrote in another thread, I saved my upcoming appointments on a wall calendar and imagine it will be easier and faster to just re-enter them in my Playbook rather than do a restore.

If I were using the calendar for work, I would have needed a full history of all appointments, so it's good to know a back up can provide this. However, given RIM's unreliable backup process (eg. I could not do a backup until OS2 was released, despite 2 hours of "help" from their support line; others' problems restoring after the .688 fiasco) I realize it would be sheer folly to consider using the Playbook for anything other than entertainment.

I imagine the reason RIM is emphasizing the Playbook's ability to synch with professionally-run networks and google apps is because it cannot provide similar reliability with its own applications.

Pity.
    10-05-12 06:14 AM
    I can't sync my facebook calender... I hope there will be a fix on these problem...
    10-05-12 06:23 AM
    Try to sell the playbook in the medical world.

An update and whoops, all the patients appointments gone, with all the crucial life-saving notes...

Err excuse me Ms Kowalsky, sorry to wake you up from anesthesia, but could you remind me if you're allergic to penicillin, you see my professional-grade tablet had an update here...
    10-05-12 06:27 AM
    Try to sell the playbook in the medical world.

An update and whoops, all the patients appointments gone, with all the crucial life-saving notes...

Err excuse me Ms Kowalsky, sorry to wake you up from anesthesia, but could you remind me if you're allergic to penicillin, you see my professional-grade tablet had an update here...
    Sure, the medical staff is storing medical records locally on the device! Hey, whose got the PlayBook with Mr. Johnson charts??? You obviously work in the hospital IT department.

It is even more important to cover yourself with a backup if you're storing info in a single location with no syncing. It's not a logical way to protect yourself from failure.
    10-05-12 01:14 PM
    It's amazing the length people can go to to defend the playbook.

No data should ever be lost during the update of the device of a professional person. Period.

Not even for a private person at home.

Amazing...
    pickles#WP and Mr Flibble like this.
    10-05-12 03:03 PM
    I kind of have to agree with the above! Can you imagine the transition this os to bb10! Good luck with that one!
    10-05-12 03:18 PM
    I was on .668 and configured with blackberry balance to my exchange server. My emails, contacts and calendar were working perfectly, then I updated to .1032 and boom, no amount of uninstall or my account/reinstall/wired activation/wireless activation/reboot will bring back my contacts and calendar. My emails are now working but nothing else. When I open the calendar it takes a couple of seconds and then an image of a calendar page appears at the top left and then nothing. My contacts are totally empty. I guess some file used for synching is corrupted and can't be fixed.

I'm not a happy camper. I can just imagine when this happens to one of the senior managers, grrrr.

I haven't lost anything since I have everything on the exchange server but what do I do now. Wipe and start from scratch?
    10-05-12 03:28 PM
90 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD