As for Bridge, there's no need; the iPad shipped with native e-mail.
    They probably did not have the genius idea of bridging a tablet to a phone. Main reason I bought the PB plus the amazing UI.
    kbz1960, maddie1128 and bigbmc26 like this.
    02-12-12 06:16 AM
    Did you type this on your PlayBook by chance? I see you made all the same spelling mistakes that I normally do on mine!

But correct, I'm so stoked about OS2.0! Never in my life can I remember a time I've been so excited for a software update! I normally hate them haha. Have to learn everything all over again more times than not. (Like the newest Microsoft Office compared to Office XP. )
    I usually double check my posts, but it was already 2am.

It's indeed a good product. I won't deny it. It's hard to admit but RIM has totally failed in marketing PB. Let's just hope that they learned something from it and prepare something better in the future. They still have a chance to survive and thrive, though.
    Actually, it is quite easy to. Their marketing has been terrible for at least three years. And it's biting them in the behinds.

Actually the only thing "stupid" is building a product you can't sell.

And once prices were lowered, the units are flying out of the stores...

Fair enough, that was a little argumentative, but I'm not sure it's wise to expect anything short of arguments in a thread titled "how many ideas will apple steal." As for being negative, it's not a tactic. I just stick of the objectives, and right now the objectives happen to be negative for RIM. If mentioning those things make me negative, well, such is life.
    And yet, I got no repart� from you on the Bridge argument. I like the "be objective" approach, but don't use it as an excuse for lame "as for bridge, it already has native email" arguments...
    Last edited by diegonei; 02-12-12 at 07:24 AM.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    02-12-12 07:03 AM
    for that handfull of people wrongly reading my post,i am not 'trolling' i am not being biased over the ipad the ipad is a great tablet,and wen i ment the slide gestures i didnt mean the ONE slide gesture the ipad has to swipe the weather/notification area,and everyone sayin bridge is pointless,how pointless isit when you are payin extra ��� for teathering, and also wen i say swipe gestures i do not mean the swipe to end the app in the background,the ipad is a great if not one of the best tablets out ther and im not 'dissing' it or apple as a company,ive got a ipod an i love it
    02-12-12 08:19 AM
    ipad3 has been rumord for a march release,how many things will it copy the of the playbook and make every isheep think they invented the feature, will we see them rob the bridge feature (iphone 2 ipad)? REAL multitasking? or even the great besel slide gestures?
    sorry for wrong spellings
    I think it is safe to say that none of those three features will be present in a future iPad3.
    02-12-12 08:24 AM
    Everyone copies everyone. Who cares unless you are apple then you just sue.
    ralfyguy and maddie1128 like this.
    02-12-12 08:40 AM
    I don't think we'll see the Bridge function on other platforms, but I've been wrong before.
    02-12-12 08:56 AM
    Why would the iPad need to bridge?
    It's sad because even Crackberry members don't understand the power of bridge. It's not just the guy who's post I quoted above, because that posted also got "liked" and "thanked". People that leave comments likes this clearly do not own a PB.

So here's my answer. If the ipad could bridge then you wouldn't need to buy a 3G subscription or pay for hotspot tethering. It's more than just email ppl. And its about to become ALOT more than just email!
    maddie1128, soundwave and bigbmc26 like this.
    02-12-12 08:58 AM
    It's sad because even Crackberry members don't understand the power of bridge. It's not just the guy who's post I quoted above, because that posted also got "liked" and "thanked". People that leave comments likes this clearly do not own a PB.

So here's my answer. If the ipad could bridge then you wouldn't need to buy a 3G subscription or pay for hotspot tethering. It's more than just email ppl. And its about to become ALOT more than just email!
    Here a counterpoint I made elsewhere: I know quite a number of people who use different types of tabs. Not ONE of them pays extra to tether.

This is why Bridging, while a petty cool feature, probably does not create the awe some folks think it should. In my case, it is easier to wirelessly tether our four devices simultaneously than bridge just a PB.
    howarmat likes this.
    02-12-12 09:06 AM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=US&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=CW0DUg63lqU

"Good artists copy; great artists steal." Steve Jobs.
    Last edited by Deathcommand; 02-12-12 at 10:00 AM.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-12-12 09:08 AM
    Need to get facts straight because they weren't the first to introduce the tablet.

Didn't RIM copy apple's tablet? Everyone is in this tablet trend thanks to Apple.

Microsoft/HP introduced their tablet at ces 2010. When they saw the iPad they scrapped their plans. Samsung modified their Galaxy 10 inch tab after seeing Apple iPad 2 thinness.

Apple copies rim with iMessage. Apple copies android notification center.

Android copies Apple's OS. Android original OS back in 2007 was originally copied from RIM.

So at this stage. Doesn't matter who is coping whom.

RIM just needs to get OS 1.0 out (lets cut this crap out about. 2.0 because the Playbook runs to about what amounts to beta software since its release without native email/calendar support.
    02-12-12 09:13 AM
    ipad3 has been rumord for a march release,how many things will it copy the of the playbook and make every isheep think they invented the feature, will we see them rob the bridge feature (iphone 2 ipad)? REAL multitasking? or even the great besel slide gestures?
    sorry for wrong spellings
    I do not think apple will have any of these features. I think Ipad 3 will have updated specs. All the features mentioned by you would mean new OS and this is not going to happen now.
    02-12-12 09:14 AM
    Here a counterpoint I made elsewhere: I know quite a number of people who use different types of tabs. Not ONE of them pays extra to tether.

This is why Bridging, while a petty cool feature, probably does not create the awe some folks think it should. In my case, it is easier to wirelessly tether our four devices simultaneously than bridge just a PB.
    These seem to be the same people that claim bridge steals from the carriers. What are these people doing then with their work arounds? At least all carriers other than AT&T don't require you to have a tethering or wifi hotspot plan to do it legally.

Yes I know I did the same thing with the tether app.
    02-12-12 09:16 AM
    These seem to be the same people that claim bridge steals from the carriers. What are these people doing then with their work arounds? At least all carriers other than AT&T don't require you to have a tethering or wifi hotspot plan to do it legally.

Yes I know I did the same thing with the tether app.
    I know two carriers that have internal documents that allow for "reasonable" tethering. It ain't something they have an interest in being challenged in court, that's for sure.

Still, I see your point. I don't think too many people see free tablet browsing as that unique of a feature, or one strong enough to potentially switch to a new device mid-contract.

But having said that, why isn't RIM pouring out promos to BB users in-store? Someone suggested discounts to BB purchasers. I think it is a great idea.
    02-12-12 09:23 AM
    It's not a GREAT product... sorry.

You must have never tried an iPad 2. You can switch apps using multiple fingers and sliding to the side, much like on the Playbook using the bezel. Not to mention that RIM did not pioneer the QNX app switching, it was more of a WebOS thing.

Nonetheless, who cares? Are you really going to deny that the iPad 2 is a great product? It's not successful because consumers are misguided, it's just a good product.
    02-12-12 09:25 AM
    They probably did not have the genius idea of bridging a tablet to a phone. Main reason I bought the PB plus the amazing UI.
    Again, it's such a "genius" idea that less than 1% of BB users own PlayBooks.

And yet, I got no repart� from you on the Bridge argument. I like the "be objective" approach, but don't use it as an excuse for lame "as for bridge, it already has native email" arguments...
    I actually acknowledged to another commenter in this very thread that that was argumentative, and for that I apologize to anyone who was offended.
    02-12-12 09:28 AM
    Actually you mean Android... LTE is not available on iPhones.

No, I think the reason you now longer see AT&T & Verizon ect promoting BB is becuase they are pissed off about the $$$ they are loosing with Bridge. B4 Bridge, when you went into a store BB had it's own section & the staff were talking about how great it is. Now you go in there, & the BB's are in the back somewhere with no models on display. And when you ask about them, the sales person puts you down for using BB & tries to get you onto an Android or iPhone with a 6GB LTE data plan.
    02-12-12 09:31 AM

how are they connecting to the internet and how are they networking? there has to be a hotspot in there somewhere. verizon last time i checked charges $20 / month for mobile hotspot.
    02-12-12 09:33 AM
    I wanted a tablet for a while. But I didn't want a 10" tablet, because then might as well buy a small laptop with none of the restrictions and a full browser.
    No I wanted a smaller device, something bigger than a phone screen, but smaller than a laptop. iPad had too many restrictions and not a real browser. That was another main requirement, a full blown browser, because that is what I mainly use it for.
    So I quit looking at those already while reading reviews about all kinds of tablets. Then I read about the PB and it's browser AND the Bridge function and the fact that I can surf the web using my BB as a modem at no extra cost. Then I went to get my hands on one of those and the size was perfect.
    That PB was EXACTLY what I was looking for! I didn't even look any further and I didn't care about what apps there was at all.
    I admit that I wish it had skype, but it isn't hurting enough to write home about. It is merely an annoyance.
    In the meantime I enjoy my browsing experience ANYWHERE I go and the knowledge that I can have this privilege WITHOUT getting financially raped for no reason, meaning no need to have to have an additional data plan.
    That's why it is good to have BlackBerry products at this time, because nobody else can offer me that.
    Now I am on AT&T and I am aware of that they do not want you to use the phone as a modem for free, which is ethically disgusting, because it does not matter HOW I use my PAID for data plan as long as I don't exceed the limits. And even then, they just throttle me or charge me more. If I use my BB to surf, or my PB is NONE of their business!
    Bridge was a MAJOR selling point for me, the size as well as the fully functional browser.
    And not to forget the HUGE turn-off with the i-something hype everywhere I look, I can't stand it...belittling others included. I sometimes felt like I will get arrested and thrown into a camp if I resist to follow the allmighty SJ...
    02-12-12 09:42 AM
    Bridging allows your blackberry phone's internet to be used on the pb much like hotspot. That is also why it won't get much support from the carriers because all other tablets are $25-$30 a month for internet from that specific tablet device.
    how are they connecting to the internet and how are they networking? there has to be a hotspot in there somewhere. verizon last time i checked charges $20 / month for mobile hotspot.
    02-12-12 09:45 AM
    for that handfull of people wrongly reading my post,i am not 'trolling' i am not being biased over the ipad the ipad is a great tablet,and wen i ment the slide gestures i didnt mean the ONE slide gesture the ipad has to swipe the weather/notification area,and everyone sayin bridge is pointless,how pointless isit when you are payin extra ��� for teathering, and also wen i say swipe gestures i do not mean the swipe to end the app in the background,the ipad is a great if not one of the best tablets out ther and im not 'dissing' it or apple as a company,ive got a ipod an i love it
    I didn't read your post wrong.

Why are you telling me that my iPad only has the ONE slide gesture to swipe the weather/notification area? There are gestures to pause apps, move between apps, bring up the app manager.....

And why are you telling me it costs me money to tether? It doesn't. I connect my PB, iPad and laptop to my phone's hotspot and it doesn't cost me one red cent.

This whole topic is just ludicrous, the tablet industry, like the car industry, like the entertainment industry, like computer industry constantly evaluates competition's innovation and implements and improves into their own products.

Let's look at a more specific example. I might be wrong, but I'm guessing you posted from your Playbook. I say this because of all the spelling mistakes. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Internet spelling troll, they don't bother me. But the point is, the Playbook 1.x doesn't have any kind of integrated spell checking. When 2.0 comes out it will.

Now, would I or anyone be correct in accusing RIM of stealing the idea of a spellchecker from Apple or another tab manufacturer. Probably not, that would be silly.

Apple, Ford, Pepsi, GE, Sony...... innovates and implements and improves the innovations of others. And yes RIM does as well.

But what do I know about comparing the iPad to the PB, I only own both? Where you have both a PB and an iPod touch.
    02-12-12 09:46 AM
    liar! All wifi only ipads can use the "native" browser on their "bridged" phones at anytime/anywhere
    Let's get a few things clear
    - an ipad does not need to be bridged as long as it has access to wifi or 3G just like OS 2 will bring to the PB,
    - an ipad can never be bridged. It is a Blackberry exclusive that runs over bluetooth,
    - bridge functionality is not limited to data access only (although that is undeniably clever). You have access to PB and smartphone files too.
    - RIM is also working to enhance the bridge to involve controlling the PB using a Blackberry smartphone.

There. Don't let me catch you mentioning an ipad and 'bridge' in the same sentence again.
    02-12-12 09:51 AM
    Sadly yet another topic run into the ground. All competitors attempt to emulate and surpass that which the competition excels at.
    diegonei and Skier1960 like this.
    02-12-12 10:08 AM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD