Hi folks,

Background: So I couldn't sleep all night and started playing with a few options/apps available for the Playbook 4G/LTE. I've been trying to get Google Voice working on my playbook as a phone. As I live in Canada, Google Voice does not let add my mobile (or any Canadian phone for that matter) to forward for voice calls. I've successfully used GrooveIP on Android and it works beautifully. But I wanted something to work on my brand new LTE playbook and here is a howto. This is just a howto. The real thanks goes to the developers of SynerGV and Taki. Please support the playbook developers. We need them

Note: This works on the normal Playbook as well.

Requirements: Please note that you would need a few things (and 2 paid apps) before setting this up. But trust me, free long distance calling for US/Canada is totally worth the $3.99 I've spent:

1) Sipgate.com account - It was free for me. Not sure if I needed a US proxy to set it up, but I've had one for sometime now. Get one at VoIP PBX - 30-day free trial - move your phones to the cloud and get a free US VoIP number.

2) Google Voice account - Also the same as above. I have one of those US numbers that one can get easily via Google Voice (Please check the internet in case you are not in the US on how to get this) - Get one at http://www.google.com/voice

3) SynerGV ($2.99) - Available on AppWorld

4) Taki ($0.99) - Also available on AppWorld.

5) Bluetooth headset (One that supports A2DP) connected to your Playbook.

Setup:

** This assumes that you have both the apps installed and have successfully got both VoIP numbers from sipgate.com and Google Voice. **

1) Login to Sipgate.com account online and go to Settings -> Hover on your phone number icon and click SIP credentials of your Username. Please note these settings:

Registry: sipgate.com
    Proxy: sipgate.com
    STUN / NTP: <none>
    SIP-ID: YOUR USERNAME SHOWN
    SIP-Password: YOUR PASSWORD SHOWN

2) Goto google.com/voice and under settings add your sipgate.com phone details. As I got a US number, I simply called it mobile and it shows up as AT&T.

3) Startup Taki and under settings use the settings from (1). Check off Register under settings. You should be able to get "Registered" from Taki. When you check online on sipgate.com, your VoIP number should show up as ONLINE and green. Don't Close Taki.

4) Startup SynerGV with your Google Voice account. The latest version of SynerGV has a phone icon which lets you dial phones. When you click on the phone icon, make sure you have Origination Phone as your sipgate.com account (Mine's labelled as Mobile as mentioned above).

5) Under SynerGV call any number (If you have funds in your Google Voice number, you call anywhere in the world).

6) Go back to Taki and you should see an incoming call from your Google Voice number. Answer and talk

I hope this small tutorial helps someone. I didn't need any fancy PBX's or special/paid VoIP providers to make this all happen. I also have free (unlimited) calling from my Google Voice number to anywhere in the US/Canada and now with my Playbook LTE; I can finally make and receive phone calls.
    09-10-12 03:28 AM
    Okay, so I just found out that sipgate.com is no longer offering a free US number. I'm sorry everyone. For those who do happen to have one, this is an alternative
    09-10-12 03:32 AM
    Thank you for your efforts!!!

I hope your info helps all those people who keep the chant going on 'where is Skype'

(And no, I'm not one of them!)
    09-10-12 04:49 AM
    OP which Bluetooth headset do you use?

Does the microphone work?
    09-10-12 08:28 AM
    Okay, so I just found out that sipgate.com is no longer offering a free US number. I'm sorry everyone. For those who do happen to have one, this is an alternative
    Correction: From the SIPGate One website,

"Free U.S. phone number We will be taking on new customers in a few weeks. If you would like to request an invite, please sign up here.

Request an invite for a business account (multi user)

Request an invite for a personal account (single user)"
    09-10-12 08:55 AM
    OP which Bluetooth headset do you use?

Does the microphone work?
    I've tested it with a Bose Bluetooth Headset and yes the microphone works. Apparently there was an update for Taki to version 1.0.2 which took care of the microphone/one way audio issue. The inbuilt microphone on the playbook also works (even though I just made one test call on it).
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    09-10-12 09:04 AM
    That was some outstanding effort to find a solution NetwOlf.....
    ...And a most perfect example of why the Playbook sold and still sells as poorly as it did / does.
    ...Instead of skype a dedicated person finds a work around.

In any event thanks for all your work finding that, it's appreciated!
    09-10-12 09:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD