Done mine yesterday after I screwed up rooting it.
    55 minutes on a laptop for it to fail then tried on my desktop, roughly 35-40 from start to finish.
    Both running windows7
    02-16-12 12:59 PM
    I'm unable to do a De-brick with my Playbook. I plug it into Desktop Manager with the power off, I then hit the "Update" button, Desktop Manger then says "there are no updates available for your Playbook". It doesn't reinstall or anything. Just prompts me for my email address to sign up for update notifications. I'm on the latest version of DM.
    The Playbook wasn't off,just asleep. You need to start desktop manager then plug in the turned off playbook. It will start booting when plugged in. The desktop software will then ask you if you want to wait for it to reboot or to restore/repair. The wording may be different, as I am on a Mac, but the process is the same.

If you are able to hit the update button in the Desktop software, you may have missed the prompt to wait for it to boot or the PlayBook was suspended not powered off when you started the process.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-16-12 01:01 PM
    Well, again, my experience may not be typical, but kbz1960 said it took him a long time on occasion.

Unfortunately, the real purpose of the Debrick was to see if I could alter the power loss during overnight, well any period, standby. It seems that the Debrick did not fix that. It appears to be losing about 2% per hour on standby with only Battery Guru running. Nothing else other than the standard apps are installed. It shares the wifi network with a 64 gigs that barely loses anything overnight. So it is not the wifi.
    02-16-12 03:20 PM
    Deleted my post
    02-16-12 03:26 PM
    Well, again, my experience may not be typical, but kbz1960 said it took him a long time on occasion.

Unfortunately, the real purpose of the Debrick was to see if I could alter the power loss during overnight, well any period, standby. It seems that the Debrick did not fix that. It appears to be losing about 2% per hour on standby with only Battery Guru running. Nothing else other than the standard apps are installed. It shares the wifi network with a 64 gigs that barely loses anything overnight. So it is not the wifi.
    Time to call RIM huh.
    02-16-12 05:06 PM
    Time to call RIM huh.
    Re: power loss during standby

I plan on waiting till OS2 is released (unless it is after the one year warranty date!!!) and see what happens. It will be interesting to see if they consider this a defect and whether I wind up with a device with other flaws. Until recently mine has been very well protected in an Otterbox case. But that loss overnight is not really a good thing. It would lose all or almost all power over a 2 day interval.
    02-16-12 06:10 PM
    Aha, I neglected to fully examine the files that were downloaded last night. I am pretty sure this is the MODULE. Inside the .BAR file is a manifest file that notes the OS number matching this. Still almost a gig in size.
    02-16-12 06:34 PM
    well I stand corrected. While my sync with my Torch went "fine" (see:http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...2-post7128249/)
    ... unfortunately it didn't work for my PB. I tried 3 times to do a backup and all 3 times DS7 said "make sure your device is connected or is powered on" when in fact it was connected and powered on with plenty of battery power. Grrr... now I see this morning that RIM is acknowledging a problem with DS7. Seems like those guys just don't get it: the software must be rock-solid before you release it out of beta. Nuff said. Time to go fishin'.
    02-17-12 06:58 AM
    I'm in the middle of a debrick as well, but I don't remember it acting like this last time.

I did the whole connection to Desktop Manager, the download, and it went through the whole "install" phase, then rebooted the device while telling me to disconnect the cable.

I disconnected it, and it rebooted to the "spotlight" animation stage, where it has sat for the last hour or so with pretty little yellow and purple and red and white and green and maybe some sort of off-puce circles swirling around, with no apparent sign of getting anywhere beyond that.

Does it always sit at this stage for such a long time? It's not frozen: the animation is active. It's just that my memory of this step is that it wasn't significantly longer than a regular reboot in past. Superfly_FR's post above suggests it was only the usual boot time in his case.
    02-17-12 11:17 AM
    The debrick process takes upwards of 1 hour in my experiences. dont recall it sitting at any one phase for that long but I didnt debrick to either of the latest releases (1.0.8. or .7111) or anything, so it may be that way now.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-17-12 11:20 AM
    I'm in the middle of a debrick as well, but I don't remember it acting like this last time.

I did the whole connection to Desktop Manager, the download, and it went through the whole "install" phase, then rebooted the device while telling me to disconnect the cable.

I disconnected it, and it rebooted to the "spotlight" animation stage, where it has sat for the last hour or so with pretty little yellow and purple and red and white and green and maybe some sort of off-puce circles swirling around, with no apparent sign of getting anywhere beyond that.

Does it always sit at this stage for such a long time? It's not frozen: the animation is active. It's just that my memory of this step is that it wasn't significantly longer than a regular reboot in past. Superfly_FR's post above suggests it was only the usual boot time in his case.
    Peter, I'll suggest you boot it again (all the needed files are already on the PB), something went wrong (in fact, I believe - no proof here - that disconnecting the USB prior to see actual language selection is a bad move). Starting over should clean this. Lest us know !
    02-17-12 11:21 AM
    Sorry but I went to bed and did not see what was happening at or near the end of the process. When I awoke the DM message was to the effect: "Your update succeeded. Unplug the usb but you will have to plug it in again" Then I had to get the 33meg wifi update.

The two earlier failures that afternoon and evening were into hour 3 each time. I don't have the fastest dsl so the module download took forever. But the extracting was more than an hour an only showing approx 50%.

What version of DM are you using? I wonder if they changed something?
    02-17-12 11:49 AM
    Sounds like I'm glad I debricked mine a few days before people having trouble with it. Any time I have done it except for the 1 time it never took over an hour and pb always booted like normal.

I always wipe before doing it also, don't know if that makes a difference or not.
    02-17-12 11:54 AM
    I did reboot again but after that didn't help (waited over 5 minutes with the spotlights) I just went through the debrick again, reattaching to the PC, running DM, and resetting via the "three-fingered salute".

This time it worked fine and I just entered by BBID, it did the 33MB second update, and is rebooting. Oh, "Installation Successful. Version 1.0.8.6067".

Thanks guys. All ready for 2.0 release... I hear it's going to be out on February 7!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-17-12 12:32 PM
    By the way, I hadn't done a security wipe first, so it's possible that would have helped.

Also this one had at one point been rooted, and was running the 7111 beta. Any or all or none of those things could have caused the problem....
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-17-12 12:34 PM
    I am going back to OS1 this weekend. Wipe first first sounds like a good plan(in many situations).
    02-17-12 12:46 PM
    When I first posted this thread, I was surprised that the question of time/timing has not been addressed. I did a bit of a search and did not see anything. Also, their knowledge base did not have anything useful that I could find although it may be there somewhere.

It's (NOT) nice to hear that someone else BRICKED the DEbrick procedure as happened with Peter. Having a $XXX dollar device in a limbo state and not knowing if it can be recovered and not being able to get Tech Support (well, free) is kind of dismaying. And the collective WE in this thread have some reasonable experience. Imagine newcomers running into this.

I'm not sure if there's another method to recover a bricked pb but, maybe two separate steps would shed more light on what's happening. Download the "fixer" app. Then plug in pb, and run the executable fixer app. This module download and the endless EXTRACTING progress bar is really poor IN MY OPINION.

Now I know a bit more. But seriously, if it is going to take that long and you need to nurse-maid it along so if it fails, you can try it all over again - not user friendly.

Also what is not user friendly is trying to get beyond the two-blink stage - as in trying to make sure that the pb is really off (but not out of battery power). It needs to be OFF for this process to work. And I must have tried about 1/2 dozen times to get the darn pb OFF.
    02-17-12 03:36 PM
    Also what is not user friendly is trying to get beyond the two-blink stage - as in trying to make sure that the pb is really off (but not out of battery power). It needs to be OFF for this process to work. And I must have tried about 1/2 dozen times to get the darn pb OFF.
    That's where the 10s power button maneuver is useful. No matter what, if you hold that sucker down for 10s it will turn off.

(On mine, the trick is keeping it down, since that particular device has one of the flush power buttons.)
    02-17-12 06:14 PM
    If you're able the debrick also works with the pb on, connected and dm open when you restart the pb.
    02-17-12 07:20 PM
    CAUTION READ COMPLETELY!

I don't recall if I entered hour FOUR or not when I figured something was wrong. Hope it was finished but the progress bar was wrong. No go. Started it again and it stalled at EXTRACTING.... Again, at least 3 hours. Finally, started it a 3rd time around 11pm and went to bed. At around 3:30am, I entered the den, woke the monitor and it had completed. I don't know if it was within 5 minutes or 2 hour earlier.

When I pulled the plug the first time, it rebooted but stopped at just the text Blackberry Playbook and went no further.

Restarted the debrick again with some effort. Again, Extracting was stalled for at least an hour at about 50%. Undid usb again. This time, only two red blinks, no rebooting or Blackberry Playbook text. Had a heck of a time getting DM to recognize it and get the pb powered off and not blinking.

My advice, go to sleep and check it in the morning. Don't necessarily interrupt it as you might have trouble getting it running again. But obviously after 5 or 6 hours, well, nothing is obvious but I would not count on success either.

Also, make sure that not much else is running on the computer. Maybe extracting takes lots of cpu power????

When I went looking I found two files that I believe were part of the "download" module process. One was 1.25 gigs and the other just under 1 gig. The smaller was definitely part of the process as it was a xxx.bar file and its contents revealed the 1.0.8.xxxx that is the current os version.

But if they were 1 gig files, that could take a bit of processing time to churn through.

If you are still within your 90 days, I guess maybe you could call and let us know what they say might be stalling/taking so long????

Good luck.
    02-18-12 12:02 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD