Okay, maybe I made a tragic/fatal mistake. I decided to Debrick my 32gig pb. It would lose about 2% battery power per hour in Standby overnight. So I decided to use the Debrick procedure.

After 3.5 hours, it failed. It was stuck at about 50% "installing software" for more than an hour. At that point it had been running for more than 3 hours. Then it failed. Pressed the power button and got the "Blackberry Playbook" text screen and after a while, it went dark and I got 2 red flashes, blank, 2 red flashes, blank, etc.

Plugged it back into DM (win vista home premium 64) and it is starting the "downloaded module 0 of 1" and going very slowly. I see my dsl modem blinking, so I guess something is happening. But very slowly. The green progress bar may be less then 10% and has not moved very much.

Anybody know how long a Debrick session lasts?
    02-15-12 07:47 PM
    Maybe 30mins just for the initial download. the entire process less than and hour, I've done ita few times, always seems like it takes forever.

If you have the same problem next time around with power loss while it should be sleeping, check to see if android apps have permissions on such as "stay on", I had one app that stayed on all night and made my PB feel like the worlds hottest hand warmer in the morning. I'd also uncheck the "showcase" option in the "general" tab in your menu, and if all else fails reboot the PB before you put it to sleep and don't turn on any android apps. It seems android apps can hang open the PB often enough.

Be certain your battery is over 20% when trying to debrick, since you've been having issues.
    Last edited by Carbonetics; 02-15-12 at 08:27 PM.
    02-15-12 08:13 PM
    That's a pain in the @$$ F2. Once I had to wait over four hours to have it download and install everything (just to wait another half an hour for the OS to update over WiFi during the setup).

I did get lucky once and it just took me 30 minutes, but it was once in, maybe seven (?), debricks (as I moved back and forth official and beta OS releases).
    02-15-12 08:17 PM
    Thanks, diegonei. Carbonetics - I am using Desktop Manager (DM) to DEBRICK or Update which is (quite apparently) different from the initial setup. At least it appears to be much slower and DM, I think, is downloading the update. But what I am not sure about is why, once the software/update has been downloaded, why the "install/extraction" is or was taking so long. It was stuck with about 1/2 inch of green progress bar on the install (this is on the DM computer progress bar) after more than an hour.

I guess I will leave it plugged in all night and even as I go to bed in about 3 or 4 hours and see what's what in the morning. I know my dsl is not the fastest. But it was the next stage that seemed stalled.

Oh, well, I will try being patient.
    Last edited by F2; 02-15-12 at 09:06 PM.
    02-15-12 09:04 PM
    What the heck is this Debrick???
    02-15-12 09:12 PM
    There are two (more?) main procedures to restore your pb to a near new state with only the initial software. One is called the Security Wipe and it is initiated using the pb itself. It is under Security in the Gear/Options main application.

The other method involves attaching a pb to Desktop Manager (DM) with the pb initially POWERED OFF. Then you power it on and DM asks if you want to UPDATE the software. It will then proceed to wipe out everything on the pb and install the latest version of the OS on the pb. It appears that DM downloads the software to your computer and then "unpacks/extracts/executes" the install software and puts it on your pb.

At the current time, it has finished the downloading. Now it is again about halfway into the EXTRACTING DEVICE SOFTWARE (there is a green slider/progress bar). It does not show percentage so I am estimating by how much green shows and what's left. This is where it appears to have stalled out the first time. I can't imagine what it is doing in this extraction phase. But this time I am going to leave it the rest of the night and then overnight if necessary and check in the morning.
    Last edited by F2; 02-15-12 at 09:37 PM.
    02-15-12 09:33 PM
    FWIW, the last couple of times I debricked it only took a few minutes and no download was needed from the Internet. I am on the Mac version of Desktop Manager and I assume it is keeping a copy of the latest OS it installed and may just use that once it queries the RIM servers and learns that the local copy on the Mac is the current OS.

This was in the past weeks while I was resetting a couple PlayBooks I replaced with larger ones from the Telus $149 sale. I debricked the two, plus debricked from the Beta on a third.
    Last edited by robsteve; 02-15-12 at 09:41 PM.
    02-15-12 09:35 PM
    FWIW, the last couple of times I debricked it only took a few minutes and no download was needed from the Internet. I am on the Mac version of Desktop Manager and I assume it is keeping a copy of the latest OS it installed and may just use that once it queries the RIM servers and learns that the local copy is the current OS.
    Well, I have no idea what it is doing. I've never done a Debrick. Actually, I had not updates OS1 for at least a month so I did not have the current OS on it until this last week. (I had contemplated doing the ROOTING process so kept the old OS1 on it - I never did the ROOT or any Beta install). When I upgraded the OS, I did it purely wifi and DM was not involved. Then, again, I installed the new DM yesterday so that may be an issue.
    02-15-12 09:40 PM
    I didn't have any problems with the new BB Desktop Software version 7 using the orfanizer sync with my Torch. Just having a quiet night so maybe it's time for me to backup my PB. Tell you what, good ole F2, I'll do it right now and time it and post the results later. What fun!
    02-15-12 10:13 PM
    I am not backing up. I'm trying to DEBRICK or RE-installing the OS 1.xxxx.

And it is still at the position shown in the picture above. No progress at all.
    02-15-12 10:15 PM
    I would have DLed the upgrade first, I meant to ask if you have DM 7.0 official or Beta, they both seem to work a little bit better with Full reloads on Beta 2.0, not that I kniw what you came off of, but once PB is fully off and the connection is made and Downloading of OS starts, It generally shouldn't matter which DM you use.

If it were me I honestly would disconnect it and start over if it takes more than a couple hours, and after the DM downloads and installs the update to DM 7.0.
    With multiple Playbooks I don't think it's ever taken much more than one hour for everything.
    02-15-12 10:32 PM
    I have no idea how the h3ll long it takes. A brief trip to the facility at 3am led to a visit to the computer. Success but then it wanted all of the info and how could I stop at that point. So create second bbid, log in create account, accept country, etc.

This damn process is not pleasant. Oh, yes, that was after going back to two prior versions of DM. And then back and then a lots of two red blinks and no response. Reinstall DM7 BETA. And start it and go to sleep. Now after all that it still needs a 33meg update to 1.0.8.6067..........

Oh, yeah, rim will not do support based on email unless you are replying to them. You must call them. Maybe they will reply if you jump through web hoops and are within the 90 day window. Let this grouch just say, that after this, I will again be reluctant to recommend their damn device or, at least, their customer service. Amazon puts you through none of this (unless with their cheap Fire, they have changed support policies.

Rim is not use to dealing directly with customers.

Okay, enough grousing as the 33mb approaches completion (at least this old linksys did not self-implode overnight which it sometimes does). Ah, now installing the new software. (oh, the 32gig was hooked up to both usb AND rapid charger during this overnight process.)

Oh, rebooting now....

Blackberry Playbook (waiting for colored circles....and still waiting.... Damn tutorial...

Good night JohnBoy.........

With all of that - it still retained my original password.....So DEBRICK does not wipe the password. It does wipe the network/router stuff.
    Last edited by F2; 02-16-12 at 05:42 AM.
    02-16-12 05:37 AM
    I have no idea how the h3ll long it takes. A brief trip to the facility at 3am led to a visit to the computer. Success but then it wanted all of the info and how could I stop at that point. So create second bbid, log in create account, accept country, etc.

Why did you have to create a new ID? Why not use the one you already had?

This damn process is not pleasant. Oh, yes, that was after going back to two prior versions of DM. And then back and then a lots of two red blinks and no response. Reinstall DM7 BETA. And start it and go to sleep. Now after all that it still needs a 33meg update to 1.0.8.6067..........

Well, I told you it would do that. It always finds something to download for whatever reason.

Oh, yeah, rim will not do support based on email unless you are replying to them. You must call them. Maybe they will reply if you jump through web hoops and are within the 90 day window. Let this grouch just say, that after this, I will again be reluctant to recommend their damn device or, at least, their customer service. Amazon puts you through none of this (unless with their cheap Fire, they have changed support policies.

You could try @BlackBerryHelp over twitter, they are not CB, but they are not bad either.

Rim is not use to dealing directly with customers.

So true.

Okay, enough grousing as the 33mb approaches completion (at least this old linksys did not self-implode overnight which it sometimes does). Ah, now installing the new software. (oh, the 32gig was hooked up to both usb AND rapid charger during this overnight process.)

Oh, rebooting now....

Blackberry Playbook (waiting for colored circles....and still waiting.... Damn tutorial...

Good night JohnBoy.........

With all of that - it still retained my original password.....So DEBRICK does not wipe the password. It does wipe the network/router stuff.
    I told you it was a pain in the @$$. :/ I wonder if you can make backups now...
    02-16-12 07:00 AM
    I've done a debrick several times as I mess around a lot also. The first one took hours and hours but I happened to do it the same time an update was released and didn't know it.

The rest of the times I wiped it first and then debricked. Each other time never took more than hour including setup. Don't worry when it is done and the pb reboots dm will give an error which means nothing so far for me.
    02-16-12 07:38 AM
    I told you it was a pain in the @$$. :/ I wonder if you can make backups now...
    Boy, I thought the Security Wipe was tedious. But that only involved copying data and apps back. But this involved hidden processes with no real feedback. I had not even thought of backups. The person I'm thinking of "lending" it to has her own taste in music and films.

Well, just now I added the first app: Battery Guru.

I may hold back on others. I guess I can now test Video chat with myself now that the 2 pb's have two different bbid's.

I will say, that when I went back to bed, I stewed (for non-native English speakers - mulled, mumbled and remained p1ssed with Rim). The process is quite terrible (but I guess restoring Windows would be, too). But the recessed power button does not help. Their failure to fully support the unit like Amazon (I have no idea what Apple's policies are) for its one year warranty. Amazon supports beyond the one year - just call! In addition, you have no idea what is happening as it 'EXTRACTS' for hours on end. Nothing can take that long to extract.

But I have learned. I will not lightly recommend anyone do a Debrick. I will warn that it could take HOURS without little or no feedback.

I now know that two red blinks of the led will not go away (see below) but while that is happening, you canNOT update using DM. It never gives the UPDATE prompt box.

If you get two red blinks, you have to press and hold down that stupid PowerButton for at least 10 or more seconds and then the blinking stops and the pb probably does go OFF. Then turning it on again, will provide DM its signal for the update.

Do this and go to work, go to sleep, take a transatlantic flight and don't think about it for hours. Just walk away. Then hope it really has not stalled and take the flight back the other way.

Y I K E S ! ! !
    02-16-12 09:56 AM
    I've done a debrick several times as I mess around a lot also. The first one took hours and hours but I happened to do it the same time an update was released and didn't know it.

The rest of the times I wiped it first and then debricked. Each other time never took more than hour including setup. Don't worry when it is done and the pb reboots dm will give an error which means nothing so far for me.
    Several times - you are a mild mannered pup, Pup! Maybe now that I know it can take that long. The warning on the screen mentions "an hour" which is very far from the truth. The problem is that I really don't know if it stalled twice at about 3 hours each or if the process did fail.

What also is kind of foolishly amazing is that the restoration and then the 33meg small update, still does not install the current versions of Tetris or Need For Speed. I mean, really, RIM, can't you add those to the processes. You still need to update those and Facebook and Slacker (neither of which I care about).

AWFUL process.
    02-16-12 10:02 AM
    This is a real time measurement ...
    BUT I've tricked it a *little* since your problem seems to me related to wifi, I tried a quite alternative way ...
    Starting now : 5:23 PM CET+2 (17:23) ... hopefully not for 3 hours

WARNING : THE WIPE IS NEEDED IN MY CASE BUT IS NOT MANDATORY TO DEBRICK OR UPGRADE

17:23 : Security wipe + reboot (BB Playbook white letters on black screen)
    17:24 : blue - green circles display
    17:26 : here comes the red circles and then, the language selection.
    17:28 : language + lang settings: OK I set both to France. swipe left
    17:29 : connected to wifi. Swipe left. Hour definition . swipe left
    17:31 : licence agreement. accept + left swipe + limited guarantee warning + left swipe
    17:36 BlackberryID screen .OK no pb
    * Ok the PB is wipped (probably sooner than this) ... don't need to stand wifi ... let's go DM now.*
    [mouhahaha ... phone call]
    17:42 : Shutting down the PB. Start DM . Plug the PB USB
    17:43 : "Can't connect to device yada-yada" : Hit the upgrade button. Rolling back to 1.0.8xx
    downloading (cable modem here 100Mb/s) ...
    17:57 : "connexion to the device" [PB starts - red, blue, green circles]
    17:59 : DM states : "Update is finished you can disconnect your tablet."
    18:00 Now classical setup
    1. language - welcome + lang/country
    2. wifi
    3. hour/date settings
    4. licence
    5. limited waranty
    6. BB ID
    7. DL of updates for 1.0.8.6067 (was it 29.6 Mb ?)
    8. Reboot
    18:05 : install successful. left swipe
    18:06 : bridge config : using tags (dirty phone lens; clean it !) OK
    18:08 : basic lessons
    18:10 : All fresh PB under 1.0.8.6067.

So I just started the wipe process until I feel pretty confident that everything is wipped, and then combine with the debrick method you're familiar with. May help some ...

And the answer to your thread question is ... 47 minutes with wipe and 28 for debrick only !

Edit : Tetris and NFS are here ...
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 02-16-12 at 11:33 AM.
    02-16-12 10:20 AM
    I think nfs and tetris etc. are not included as it will make it a much larger file and I'm sure many people don't care about those games either. But yes it could be a much better process.
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-16-12 10:24 AM
    F2,

I am wondering if the people that have a slow process of debricking may have a partial download of the OS on the PC that is causing the problem. In other words a bad file. It really shouldn't stall like it does. I have had OS upgrades go slow, but never in hours long in length, just a typical slow download where it may be forty minutes instead of fifteen. I remember a while back a person found the partial OS download file, deleted and everything went smoothly afterwards. There should be a FAQ made showing how to fix this problem.
    Superfly_FR and peter9477 like this.
    02-16-12 10:26 AM
    I'm getting prepared for the 2.0 to come public.
    As I wrote, I'll wipe before (I had several consecutive installs, side-loads,etc, that makes this - TO ME - more mandatory than in your case).
    Starting now : 5:19 PM CET+2
    ... I'll write down the timing by editing ... hopefully not for 3 hours
    The debrick is preferable to a wipe, as the wipe removes some demo features and apps, such as the demo video. If you must wipe, do a wipe and then a debrick.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-16-12 10:28 AM
    How much of an impact would Internet speed have? And could the USB cable further slowdown the process?
    If my 16GB only gives me 14.7GB does that mean the OS that has to be download is 1.3GB? Or somewhere in that neighborhood. I know I have read about 400-500MB file sizes but could there be more to it when doing a complete restore?
    02-16-12 10:35 AM
    F2,

I am wondering if the people that have a slow process of debricking may have a partial download of the OS on the PC that is causing the problem. In other words a bad file. It really shouldn't stall like it does. I have had OS upgrades go slow, but never in hours long in length, just a typical slow download where it may be forty minutes instead of fifteen. I remember a while back a person found the partial OS download file, deleted and everything went smoothly afterwards. There should be a FAQ made showing how to fix this problem.
    I have no idea. I started the 1st attempt at around 2pm yesterday and left on a bike ride. Returned 2 hours later and it was stalled on "Extracting..." and still stalled at around 50% an hour later and still stalled later. That may be when I goof. I unplugged the usb. PB would not boot. Started DM UPDATE up again without issues. Same problem - took forever to just download the "module" and then again stalled at the 50% point of EXTRACTING. 3 more hours gone. Now the fun began. I could not restart and got the two red led blinks. DM would not recognize. Played for at least 1/2 hour to 3/4 hour to get DM to recognize. UNinstalled DM, installed older version. NO. UNinstalled installed another older version. NO. Each time trying to get the power OFF was hard with the recessed power button. So I'd be stuck at 2 red blinks. REinstalled DM7-beta. Got it started and went to bed.

(who asked about wifi) - yes, I can see that interfering/slowing the process but after the "module" was downloaded, it was the EXTRACTING process that seems to have stalled (and my dsl modem showed no blinking so it was not talking to wifi at that point). But maybe it does take 4-5 hours. The WARNING mentions an HOUR. I did reboot the computer twice while UNinstalling and REinstalling the various versions of DM. So it might have closed out a failed file download.

Just searched for recent files and found this but it is not an executable. So, I guess it can only work with DM. Would it go faster now that it is here? I don't know because yesterday twice it got beyond the download and was "stuck" (or I thought it was stuck/stalled EXTRACTING). My experience may not be typical. Sheesh, that file is over a gigabyte.
    Last edited by F2; 02-16-12 at 11:26 AM.
    02-16-12 11:19 AM
    The debrick is preferable to a wipe, as the wipe removes some demo features and apps, such as the demo video. If you must wipe, do a wipe and then a debrick.
    You read my mind ... I was editing my post, but this is precisely what I've done ^^.
    02-16-12 11:25 AM
    I have no idea. I started the 1st attempt at around 2pm yesterday and left on a bike ride. Returned 2 hours later and it was stalled on "Extracting..." and still stalled at around 50% an hour later and still stalled later. That may be when I goof. I unplugged the usb. PB would not boot. Started DM UPDATE up again without issues. Same problem - took forever to just download the "module" and then again stalled at the 50% point of EXTRACTING. 3 more hours gone. Now the fun began. I could not restart and got the two red led blinks. DM would not recognize. Played for at least 1/2 hour to 3/4 hour to get DM to recognize. UNinstalled DM, installed older version. NO. UNinstalled installed another older version. NO. Each time trying to get the power OFF was hard with the recessed power button. So I'd be stuck at 2 red blinks. REinstalled DM7-beta. Got it started and went to bed.

(who asked about wifi) - yes, I can see that interfering/slowing the process but after the "module" was downloaded, it was the EXTRACTING process that seems to have stalled (and my dsl modem showed no blinking so it was not talking to wifi at that point). But maybe it does take 4-5 hours. The WARNING mentions an HOUR. I did reboot the computer twice while UNinstalling and REinstalling the various versions of DM. So it might have closed out a failed file download.

Just searched for recent files and found this but it is not an executable. So, I guess it can only work with DM. Would it go faster now that it is here? I don't know because yesterday twice it got beyond the download and was "stuck" (or I thought it was stuck/stalled EXTRACTING). My experience may not be typical. Sheesh, that file is over a gigabyte.
    F2, in that typical situation, I'd suggest to un-install DM, reboot PC and install it again.
    I'm in with the possibly corrupted file, I went threw this problem once and the above solved my problem. So that we may say ... it's a PC issue ! (ok-ok, dont beat me too strong )
    02-16-12 11:29 AM
    I'm unable to do a De-brick with my Playbook. I plug it into Desktop Manager with the power off, I then hit the "Update" button, Desktop Manger then says "there are no updates available for your Playbook". It doesn't reinstall or anything. Just prompts me for my email address to sign up for update notifications. I'm on the latest version of DM.
    Last edited by Rudee66; 02-16-12 at 12:56 PM.
    02-16-12 12:52 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD