06-21-13 12:02 PM
127 ... 3456
tools
    If I could find the combination to the Otterbox lock I might attempt the fix, too.
    ROFL Nice one...hahahaha Time to take that Dremel out perhaps? hahahahahaha
    01-13-12 11:45 AM
    ROFL Nice one...hahahaha Time to take that Dremel out perhaps? hahahahahaha
    It was awkward the first time I wanted to show someone what the pb looked like naked. I could not figure out how to release the latches on the darn Otterbox. The 2nd time was not much better, not recalling which end opens.

I now have the Otterbox Video on my pb so I can reference it in case I forget.

PS - my next Dremel will be cordless like the pb.
    01-13-12 01:16 PM
    I just thought I would update on my fix of the bulge using the op's method. The last time I posted that it was still fine was on January 12th. Here we are, 2 1/2 months later, and still perfect! Not a single problem!

For those of you that fixed your bulge using this method, how is yours faring now?
    03-22-12 09:34 AM
    I removed the back cover to fix it. Essentially the same thing the OP outlined. My PB is still flat.
    03-22-12 10:14 AM
    I just thought I would update on my fix of the bulge using the op's method. The last time I posted that it was still fine was on January 12th. Here we are, 2 1/2 months later, and still perfect! Not a single problem!

For those of you that fixed your bulge using this method, how is yours faring now?
    Thanks for the followup. It might give others the confidence to just DO IT. It appears that in MOST cases (no pun intended), it was malformed "plastic" that did not set/dry/mold flat when manufactured.
    There may be exceptions but following up as you did should reveal whether it is too much heat and an internal issue or just the shape of the rear panel.

Just last week, I used a hair dryer to widen the spacing on my new otterbox 9930 defender holster section so that the case snaps in/out easier.
    03-22-12 10:20 AM
    One of my PB's has a bulge, the other doesn't. When I look real close it appears that the one with the bulge has the logo recessed which suggests that the tool to stamp it in wasn't heated enough to embed it correctly, but forced it down anyway. That explains the bulge and not being embedded flush.
    03-22-12 11:53 AM
    One of my PB's has a bulge, the other doesn't. When I look real close it appears that the one with the bulge has the logo recessed which suggests that the tool to stamp it in wasn't heated enough to embed it correctly, but forced it down anyway. That explains the bulge and not being embedded flush.
    Yep, I am pretty sure that is what causes the bulges.

With that said, my fix is holding up as well. The bulge never came back and the PB is as flat as ever!
    03-23-12 04:59 PM
    Hi, I am a new playbook user and as soon as I got my playbook I noticed the bulge. The OCD in me made me go nuts and hit the search button. I think the OP hit the nail on the head with his fixit. Nice and flat and does not rotate on the table, took all of less than 5 min. As the OP pointed out, use medium pressure. I think I put a bit too much pressure and I guess it is now a bit more concave in the Centre than my liking, but still much better than the horrible bulge.

Tomorrow I will try and use one of those suction cups that we use to stick phone holders to windshields and see if I can pull it out a bit. Given that pushing it in did not cause any damage, can anyone think of any issue in trying to pull it out just that wee bit?
    06-18-12 12:11 AM
    I'd say, leave well enough alone - OCD be damned!

Besides, I don't think the texture on the back will allow suction cup but a strong vacuum cleaner might!
    06-18-12 12:32 AM
    OP's Got it right. More than likely, the main PCBs have gone through re-flow where the boards are heated way higher than what your hair dryer can put out. This insures the components are properly soldered to the pads. Just as an example, to heat up non leaded solder (to the point where it's liquid and you can remove the connection) you'll need about 5 secs of continuous contact with a soldering iron running at 600 degrees F - that's about 300 degrees C.

The only concern I would have is overheating the battery (which already seems to get that hot on its own). With that said, if I were RIM I'd want to know how many in the field had the same problem so a risk assessment could be done. Obviously I'm late to the party, so I'm gonna go grab my hair dryer now.

FYI. Me and the woman each have one - hers is perfectly flat and mine has a slight bulge. Her serial# is higher than mine.

LMAO, is this crackberry or petberry.com? Let me clear up a few things...

First, my hobby is custom system building, modding, extreme overclocking (stuff like phase cooling, LN2, etc.) so no, I am definitely not afraid of doing a mod like this myself. This is childs play compared to what I do daily to my systems and equipment. I agree that this is probably not for the faint of heart, hence I prefaced it with "do at own risk"

To get a little more technical, most likely the whole thing is assembled from SMT components using BGA soldering technique. Having said that, not all components can stand a lot of heat but nothing on here would likely fail before you hit a surface temperature on the actual component in excess of 100C at minimum. Further to this the heat is applied to the exterior of the device, to the plastic cover specifically. While the plastic does retain heat well once heated, it is also a terrible heat conductor so more than likely less than 30% of heat generated is actually transfered anywhere into the case. In other words the "risk" as some of you put it is actually very minimal.

Now, some of you have wondered about the permanence of the solution. To explain this it is important to understand why the bulge is there in the first place. RIM decided to use a soft feel, thin, rubberized plastic for the back of the PB. This type of plastic is very soft and maleable relatively speaking and is easily deformed. Since RIM decided to stamp their logo in the back the process of "punching the holes" for the logo emboss most likely causes this problem by stretching the plastic. The process I identified does nothing more than very mild reshaping of the plastic. Once this reshaping is done, and the plastic has cooled the reshaping is done and it is permanent. Even if there is a heat source behind the center in the back, there is nothing applying outward pressure on the center of the back of the device and as such no further "reshaping" or "stretching" will occur.

I'll add a nice bold warning to the OP to please everyone, but I hope you all learned something

Edit: Oh and, if RIM exects want to feel sick over something, they need not look any further than their balance sheet. There's plenty there to keep them feeling sick for the next year lol
    08-19-12 03:29 PM
    OP's Got it right. More than likely, the main PCBs have gone through re-flow where the boards are heated way higher than what your hair dryer can put out. This insures the components are properly soldered to the pads. Just as an example, to heat up non leaded solder (to the point where it's liquid and you can remove the connection) you'll need about 5 secs of continuous contact with a soldering iron running at 600 degrees F - that's about 300 degrees C.

The only concern I would have is overheating the battery (which already seems to get that hot on its own). With that said, if I were RIM I'd want to know how many in the field had the same problem so a risk assessment could be done. Obviously I'm late to the party, so I'm gonna go grab my hair dryer now.

FYI. Me and the woman each have one - hers is perfectly flat and mine has a slight bulge. Her serial# is higher than mine.
    Let us know how your experiment in terror turns out.
    08-19-12 05:09 PM
    Let us know how your experiment in terror turns out.

Worked like a charm! Took less time than me going back to bestbuy for an exchange.
    08-20-12 04:06 AM
    The bulge is useful.... Load up a picture of a bottle and spin your Playbook around... Play "spin the bottle" !!!!!

Personally, I wouldn't bother with it. I have 2 playbooks and both developed the "bulge" from the very beginning and no problems at all!

The bulge does not get any bigger once it forms. It is due to case warping due to heat from the PROCESSOR overheating when playing games like Need for Speed. Trust me, I know, I played that game constantly and my Playbook warmed up nicely just under the bulge.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    08-20-12 07:29 AM
    It has now been 7 1/2 months since I used the OP's fix, and still zero issues. My PB is functioning perfectly. It remains nice & flat!
    08-30-12 10:00 PM
    It has now been 7 1/2 months since I used the OP's fix, and still zero issues. My PB is functioning perfectly. It remains nice & flat!
    Has it really been that long since this was originally posted.

Thanks for reporting but now you'll never be able to play spin the bottle!
    Lyls likes this.
    08-30-12 11:53 PM
    This is crazy. I just got the Playbook 32GB and noticed the bulge when applying my screen protector. And they wanted $599 for this shoddy craftsmanship? I'm sending mine back for a refund.
    06-19-13 06:41 PM
    This is crazy. I just got the Playbook 32GB and noticed the bulge when applying my screen protector. And they wanted $599 for this shoddy craftsmanship? I'm sending mine back for a refund.
    I would guess you did not pay that recently.

The Bulge should not be there but generally it is merely cosmetic. In most instances, a case will cover the flaw. Some folks live with it. Or as in this thread, some have fixed it with a bit of heat and ingenuity.

But, clearly, your call.
    06-19-13 08:11 PM
    I would guess you did not pay that recently.
    I just got it new for $149 shipped and it's still within their return policy.
    06-19-13 08:21 PM
    I used to have pronounced bulge, but strangely with age it is hardly there at all now. Not so hot either, and stopped rocking.

Coincidentally my Playbook is the same.
    06-20-13 02:16 AM
    I used to have pronounced bulge, but strangely with age it is hardly there at all now. Not so hot either, and stopped rocking.

Coincidentally my Playbook is the same.
    Your mind is playing tricks on you.
    06-20-13 05:45 AM
    The playbook bump would annoy the **** out of me, just managed to get my hands on a brand new 64 gig for 50$ from a friend and that is the first thing I checked.

Z10 Rocking 10.1.0.2354!
    06-20-13 07:05 AM
    The playbook bump would annoy the **** out of me, just managed to get my hands on a brand new 64 gig for 50$ from a friend and that is the first thing I checked.

Z10 Rocking 10.1.0.2354!
    For $50 I would have lived with it and done this repair. I've softened plastic things to slightly re-form them using a hair dryer and it generally works fine. My Otterbox belt holster - actually about 3 of them.
    06-20-13 08:38 AM
    I know what u mean, but I'm about barely having on with BlackBerry and their support for the PlayBook (have another 2). It's just a matter of principle that i won't sit there and physically "fix" their bad batch of play books as well. I remember when the bump first appeared, think it was like the 2ns batch of production or so.

Z10 Rocking 10.1.0.2354!
    06-20-13 09:45 AM
    If replacement is costly, there is still another way to defeat that bulge issue... make a hole in your table (not tablet!) that would be enough for the bulge to fit in and let your PlayBook lay flat without the see-saw effect...

Posted via Z10
    FF22 and dejanh like this.
    06-20-13 09:47 AM
    Just talked to Blackberry support and the rep said the bulge and see-saw effect on a flat surface is not normal so they want to send me a prepaid box so I can send the tablet in to be repaired. My other option would be to return it to Rakuten ($11.45 UPS shipping) for a replacement. Which would be the best option? Which would you choose?
    06-20-13 10:38 AM
127 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD