I'm coming on late here I know, but as a prospective Playbook buyer...a defect like this, especially one that some say is evident right out of the box is a huge concern.

I would probably never try the hairdryer fixit method the OP describes, especially since it will surely void the warranty...but, won't RIM do a warranty replacement for a defect like this? I don't care if it's $299 or $1000...if the dang thing is screwed up right out of the freakin box or it becomes screwed up over a short period of use...I'd sure be hitting RIM up for a refund or replacement.

What's the deal?
    To be clear this bulge everyone is talking about can barely be seen. Laying it flat on a table you may notice some wooble. RIM will exchange if one deems it unacceptable.
    01-09-12 08:56 AM
    To be clear this bulge everyone is talking about can barely be seen. Laying it flat on a table you may notice some wooble. RIM will exchange if one deems it unacceptable.
    To me...that's clearly a quality control manufacturers defect. I would never just "live" with it. Yeah, RIM is pushing them out for $299 now...but they were the same price as an iPad before the recent price slash! I wonder how many people would say a defect was "acceptable" like that on their $700-800 iPad?

Of course, that might be a known defect with RIM and that's why they're slashing prices so much. Maybe they figure that people will be less motivated to complain about a problem on a $299 tablet than they would if they still charged $699.
    01-09-12 09:01 AM
    Probably the same amont of people that thought it was acceptable to have to hold a phone a certain way for reception. Nothing in life is perfect. If you don't like it either don't buy it, return it or send it in for warranty. Simple.
    01-09-12 09:16 AM
    I'm coming on late here I know, but as a prospective Playbook buyer...a defect like this, especially one that some say is evident right out of the box is a huge concern.

I would probably never try the hairdryer fixit method the OP describes, especially since it will surely void the warranty...but, won't RIM do a warranty replacement for a defect like this? I don't care if it's $299 or $1000...if the dang thing is screwed up right out of the freakin box or it becomes screwed up over a short period of use...I'd sure be hitting RIM up for a refund or replacement.

What's the deal?
    I don't know how it would void the warranty as there should be no sign it was done. Well, unless the OP was using a Branding Iron and putting his initials in the back (hmmm, there's an idea).

But I agree if you want to schlepp back and forth to the store or if mail ordered it should be returnable. Some folks though inspect it and find everything else fine and don't want to risk some other issues.

But, yes, it is definitely not a purposeful design feature - is is a DEFECT.
    01-09-12 10:02 AM
    Care to explain why? Curious here.
    There are several reasons. The most important one is that you don't know what effect the heat will have on what is inside the PB. Different kinds of plastic react to heat in different ways. Without knowing what kind of plastic was used, you have no way of knowing what will happen when you heat it. There are many types of plastics ranging from acrylics which soften at a relatively low temp up to teflon which can withstand oven temps. My guess is that either PBT (polybutylene terephthalate) or polycarbonate is the plastic that is used to mold the PB case, but I don't know for sure. Aside from voiding the warranty, there are just too many unknowns to attempt something as drastic as softening the plastic with a hair dryer. Just my opinion and I am sure others will have different ones.
    01-09-12 11:32 AM
    There are several reasons. The most important one is that you don't know what effect the heat will have on what is inside the PB. Different kinds of plastic react to heat in different ways. Without knowing what kind of plastic was used, you have no way of knowing what will happen when you heat it. There are many types of plastics ranging from acrylics which soften at a relatively low temp up to teflon which can withstand oven temps. My guess is that either PBT (polybutylene terephthalate) or polycarbonate is the plastic that is used to mold the PB case, but I don't know for sure. Aside from voiding the warranty, there are just too many unknowns to attempt something as drastic as softening the plastic with a hair dryer. Just my opinion and I am sure others will have different ones.
    You're kidding me, "drastic"?! My respects for your profession but this is really silly. We are not talking high temperatures here, maybe not even 60C surface temperature on the lid and only in the spot being heated. This will do absolutely nothing to the durability of the plastic. Also, the backing clearly has at least some silicone in it which has very high thermal resistance. It's actually funny what kind of stuff people are coming up with here lol...seriously, it's like nobody here ever repaired anything on their own lol One thing's for sure though, not a lot of people here seem to be comfortable messing with their equipment. It also feels a bit ironic because the forum is full of tips on how to mod your firmware, a much more likely way of nuking your device yet slight plastic reshaping somehow feels "extreme"

In any circumstance, the instructions are here and those that want to try them they can (and some have with good results)...if you are not comfortable, just don't do it. You would not repair a car yourself if you did not know what you were doing, would you?
    Last edited by dejanh; 01-09-12 at 11:41 AM.
    Lyls and orenzai like this.
    01-09-12 11:38 AM
    You're kidding me, "drastic"?! My respects for your profession but this is really silly. We are not talking high temperatures here, maybe not even 60C surface temperature on the lid and only in the spot being heated. This will do absolutely nothing to the durability of the plastic. Also, the backing clearly has at least some silicone in it which has very high thermal resistance. It's actually funny what kind of stuff people are coming up with here lol...seriously, it's like nobody here ever repaired anything on their own lol One thing's for sure though, not a lot of people here seem to be comfortable messing with their equipment. It also feels a bit ironic because the forum is full of tips on how to mod your firmware, a much more likely way of nuking your device yet slight plastic reshaping somehow feels "extreme"

In any circumstance, the instructions are here and those that want to try them they can (and some have with good results)...if you are not comfortable, just don't do it. You would not repair a car yourself if you did not know what you were doing, would you?
    I would! If there's a step-by-step guide on how to do it. don mind taking the risk of trying something new exciting! hahah
    01-10-12 11:11 AM
    I would! If there's a step-by-step guide on how to do it. don mind taking the risk of trying something new exciting! hahah
    Heh, that's what I meant. As long as I have some idea what to do, and sometimes even if I don't I will try to fix something and learn as I go, but for most if you did not have any instructions and are completely uncomfortable with say fixing a car, you would not bother. Same applies here. I gave the instructions so the only barrier is fear. If somebody is too afraid of doing it then don't do it. There is nothing saying that you must do it.
    01-10-12 11:29 AM
    One thing's for sure though, not a lot of people here seem to be comfortable messing with their equipment. It also feels a bit ironic because the forum is full of tips on how to mod your firmware, a much more likely way of nuking your device yet slight plastic reshaping somehow feels "extreme"
    True story.

I fixed mine after removing the back cover. My wifes PB has a larger bump and will use your method on that one.
    Thanks again for the post.

The need for a disclaimer is not soley because of the content of your instructions. I have detailed instructions on other forums and always add a disclaimer. It shocking how some people can misunderstand simple instructions and do some expensive damage. There will be one that props up the heat gun and leaves to answer the phone.
    01-10-12 11:33 AM
    While I would probably first go for a warranty exchange, if ever I try the hairdryer method, I'll try to remove the back cover first. It seems there is a "clean" method to do so. Just found this on Ifixit : BlackBerry PlayBook Teardown - iFixit see step 3. Maybe some can dig a little more ...

Edit: the "tool" for removing the back is here : http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/Plastic-...required_tools
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-10-12 at 11:59 AM.
    01-10-12 11:53 AM
    While I would probably first go for a warranty exchange, if ever I try the hairdryer method, I'll try to remove the back cover first. It seems there is a "clean" method to do so. Just found this on Ifixit : BlackBerry PlayBook Teardown - iFixit see step 3. Maybe some can dig a little more ...
    Meh, the way I see it for the amount of supposed "risk" the hassle of removing the back is bigger and riskier But that's just me
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-10-12 11:56 AM
    Meh, the way I see it for the amount of supposed "risk" the hassle of removing the back is bigger and riskier But that's just me
    As stated in Ifixit article "Unlike other popular tablets, the PlayBook's guts are not housed within the back cover but are instead attached to the display assembly"meaning to me that nothing is attached to it. so the risk seems small as ... breaking the cover ?
    01-10-12 12:02 PM
    As stated in Ifixit article "Unlike other popular tablets, the PlayBook's guts are not housed within the back cover but are instead attached to the display assembly"meaning to me that nothing is attached to it. so the risk seems small as ... breaking the cover ?
    Yep breaking the cover/scratching something + maybe not being able to seal the unit as nicely as before after putting the cover back on. Also, like I said, in the amount of time that it takes me to remove the backing I can already finish this mod. To each their own though.
    01-10-12 12:04 PM
    I guess one could potentially blow the "plasticizers" in the rear cover by applying heat. Toxic substances can be released by heating the rear cover.

WARNING doing the OP's method might be dangerous to the health of your playbook, your personal health, the health of family and friends and contribute to global warming (ahem, climate change!). Do so at the risk of the butterfly affect.

Film on the 5pm news.
    dejanh likes this.
    01-10-12 12:13 PM
    I guess one could potentially blow the "plasticizers" in the rear cover by applying heat. Toxic substances can be released by heating the rear cover.

WARNING doing the OP's method might be dangerous to the health of your playbook, your personal health, the health of family and friends and contribute to global warming (ahem, climate change!). Do so at the risk of the butterfly affect.

Film on the 5pm news.
    Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha Can't wait for the news!
    01-10-12 12:15 PM
    i dont know why you would want to fix it. i have big fingers and it helps me picking it up off of a flat surface plus it hits the blackberry logo on the back so not really damaging the playbook. just my 2 cents...
    01-10-12 12:18 PM
    i dont know why you would want to fix it. i have big fingers and it helps me picking it up off of a flat surface plus it hits the blackberry logo on the back so not really damaging the playbook. just my 2 cents...
    I will agree with you that having it bulge on the back does make picking the unit up off of a flat surface easier lol. I do not think that this is "by design" hehe. I still prefer it nice and flat anyway
    Lyls and natedogg303 like this.
    01-10-12 12:20 PM
    i guess so but works for me. dont like setting it on the counter or my desk anyways, usually put the cover under it so i dont damage it too much!
    01-10-12 02:14 PM
    i guess so but works for me. dont like setting it on the counter or my desk anyways, usually put the cover under it so i dont damage it too much!
    Got to love OCD! I do the same thing and that one day when I scratch the unit big time, man, I'm going to be so bummed
    01-10-12 02:50 PM
    Well, quick update, I am happy to report after several days the bulge has not re-appeared. I did a lot of stress testing on the PB, especially because I was recalibrating the battery so I needed to drain it quickly. The bulge (from my PB) appears to be gone for good
    Last edited by dejanh; 01-12-12 at 06:18 PM.
    01-12-12 04:07 PM
    Well, quick update, I am happy to report after several days the bulge has not re-appeared. I did a lot of stress testing on the PB, especially because I was recalibrating the battery so I needed to drain it quickly. The bulge (from my PB) appears to be gone for good
    But what about those plasticizer fumes you inhaled? Huh? Huh?
    Chaddface likes this.
    01-12-12 07:16 PM
    From another thread:

Can someone who claims to have a "perfectly flat" PB back, step forward with a picture of them lying a straight edge (and don't press it down) from one end of the playbook to the other? It would be nice to see proof that there is NO back curve, and no gap at the other side.

Click to expand image.

Not holding my breath.

The fact is, none exist and it's apparent to on-the-fence-observers that a few of you are being OCD perfectionists.

01-12-12 07:27 PM
    But what about those plasticizer fumes you inhaled? Huh? Huh?
    No effect from those, yet

From another thread:

Can someone who claims to have a "perfectly flat" PB back, step forward with a picture of them lying a straight edge (and don't press it down) from one end of the playbook to the other? It would be nice to see proof that there is NO back curve, and no gap at the other side.

Click to expand image.

Click to view quoted image

Not holding my breath.

The fact is, none exist and it's apparent to on-the-fence-observers that a few of you are being OCD perfectionists.

Click to view quoted image
    I think I need a "don't like" button now! hahahaha

And *pfffft* at you...I only edited and proof read this post 6 times lol Now who's OCD!
    01-12-12 07:31 PM
    I used your method(the day you posted the fix) to fix mine & just as yours, it's perfect still!
    01-12-12 07:38 PM
    If I could find the combination to the Otterbox lock I might attempt the fix, too.
    01-12-12 09:46 PM
127 ... 23456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD