I'm afraid RIM is just trying to feed us some BS with this whole the bulge was introduced in later models for air flow or whatever reason they are spewing. You don't just introduce a bulge in the middle of the product to increase airflow. It's a damn bulge!

While I do have the slight bulge it does not bother me, but passing excuses for an obvious manufacturers defect does. I'm willing to bet that even later build models than mine have a flat rear and mine is a 1344 build.

As a matter of fact, my playbook's back cover does not even align properly with the remainder of the body at the bottom of the unit (dark grey trim) hence producing rough edges at the bottom and the bottom corners, so it's obvious there is an issue with the back covers.

I'm not aware that RIM has ever made a public statement regarding this issue you mention. Care to share a link? Thanx.
    01-08-12 04:05 PM
    If I happen to have one of the units with the growing buldge/heat issue, about how long will it take for me to notice the problem?
    01-08-12 04:08 PM
    I say it is mostly cosmetic. On this board I never saw anybody complain that his PB died from overheating.
    01-08-12 04:11 PM
    You will first notice a tickling sensation in your tummy, like as if there were butterflies there. Then you'll begin to feel rumblings in your bowels, not unlike after eating a few bowls of chili after a frat party gone wild. Then you will notice a bulge in your abdominal wall, and at first you will think you have a small hernia, but it gets increasingly larger, then, like straight out of the Alien movie, ....................
    01-08-12 04:12 PM

I chatted to RIM over this. They said the first Playbooks are completely flat but after a while the started to make them with the slightest bulge (way less than a mm) to facilitate better air flow over the CPU.
    That's all we have.
    I have no reason to doubt MR. Thomas and his conversation with RIM. It just doesn't sound like a true and complete story to me. More likely a story to keep people from returning a PB for cosmetic reasons. My opinion of course.
    His story has a twist that needs more investigation by RIM.
    ralfyguy likes this.
    01-08-12 04:18 PM
    That's all we have.
    I have no reason to doubt MR. Thomas and his conversation with RIM. It just doesn't sound like a true and complete story to me. More likely a story to keep people from returning a PB for cosmetic reasons. My opinion of course.
    His story has a twist that needs more investigation by RIM.
    Exactly my thoughts as well.
    01-08-12 04:27 PM
    I'm not aware that RIM has ever made a public statement regarding this issue you mention. Care to share a link? Thanx.
    There is no public statement. But, as you can see in this thread the RIM employee is using excuses for the bulge. It might not be an official public statement, but a RIM employee is part of RIM nonetheless and hence represents RIM one way or the other. I also highly doubt RIM would release a public statement regarding a cosmetic issue; that is the last thing they would want to do at this very moment.
    01-08-12 04:44 PM
    There is no public statement. But, as you can see in this thread the RIM employee is using excuses for the bulge. It might not be an official public statement, but a RIM employee is part of RIM nonetheless and hence represents RIM one way or the other. I also highly doubt RIM would release a public statement regarding a cosmetic issue; that is the last thing they would want to do at this very moment.
    Who's our resident RIM employee?
    01-08-12 04:57 PM
    Who's our resident RIM employee?
    Do we have one?

Post #37 should clear up any confusion...
    01-08-12 05:02 PM
    Wow. This thread is an explosion of responses! I just finished using the op's technique to do this & it took me all of 2 minutes to do! Bulge is no more! It took one time for me as mine was very slight but it did bother me. Yes, a case would fix it. Could it have adverse affects down the road? I guess we'll find out eventually. With as easy as it was to form back, it's hard to believe there will be ill affects. I am no tech expert by any means, but for me, personally, I'll take the risk. It is up to each person to do what they feel comfortable with so I don't see a need to condemn a person for a choice they make that is only affecting their own PB.

I simply choose to be a risk taker!
    Chaddface likes this.
    01-08-12 05:27 PM
    Wow. This thread is an explosion of responses! I just finished using the op's technique to do this & it took me all of 2 minutes to do! Bulge is no more! It took one time for me as mine was very slight but it did bother me. Yes, a case would fix it. Could it have adverse affects down the road? I guess we'll find out eventually. With as easy as it was to form back, it's hard to believe there will be ill affects. I am no tech expert by any means, but for me, personally, I'll take the risk. It is up to each person to do what they feel comfortable with so I don't see a need to condemn a person for a choice they make that is only affecting their own PB.

I simply choose to be a risk taker!
    When I come in to a forum I come in with a bang, or I guess in this case, I bring the heat hahaha

I'm glad to see the mod is working for you
    01-08-12 06:19 PM
    When I come in to a forum I come in with a bang, or I guess in this case, I bring the heat hahaha
    Mission accomplished.
    01-08-12 07:00 PM
    I found an even simpler solution. put the playbook in a journal case. problem solved.
    great minds think alike
    01-08-12 07:51 PM
    Ahh yes, great minds....why do they all own Playbooks?
    01-08-12 08:33 PM
    Is the bulge a sign of anything wrong with the unit internally? If not, and the bulge is only slight, is there any harm in just leaving it as is if your Playbook still fits in cases and what not?

Thanks
    01-08-12 08:52 PM

I'm glad to see the mod is working for you
    Now, if you could figure out how to fix that other rim issue - BACKUPS in DM!!!!

Rim should do what Otterbox does - send folks a new back as a replacement for Bulging rear pieces.

I have written in the other bulge threads - IT IS A DEFECT. It may be minor and cosmetic or it may be major (still cosmetic) but too wobbly.

Now did Rim alter something to provide more heat dissipation? Possibly but that means there is more than this cosmetic issue.

No one can tell me that a flat, slab tablet is designed to wobble when placed flat on a flat surface. DEFECT!!!

There, _I_ have spoken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    dejanh likes this.
    01-08-12 09:14 PM
    Is the bulge a sign of anything wrong with the unit internally? If not, and the bulge is only slight, is there any harm in just leaving it as is if your Playbook still fits in cases and what not?

Thanks
    If the unit has the bulge from the moment it came out of the box, then other than cosmetic defect it most likely does not mean anything. However, if it is increasing in size as time goes you may have an issue with thermals. In short, you can leave it as is.
    01-08-12 11:32 PM
    luckily my playbook is bulgeless
    01-09-12 12:14 AM
    I take my hat off to the op and those that have the courage to mod their devices. But I have a question. Why does the bulge bother so many people? My PlayBook has the slight bulge in back, but it never bothered me or my usage. It runs just fine and as some have stated, once placed in the journal or converter case (such as mine) the bump is not noticed. I hear some taking them back to the stores for this issue. Is it really that big of a deal? And I don't mean this in a nasty way, just curious on the reasons why it bothers so many people?
    For me, it's because whenever I put my PB on a table and try to navigate on the PB, it keeps on moving around. especially for times when my other hand is oily or sticky, I need to use the pb one-handed on a table. so yes, its not all just the looks but it affects functionality a bit
    FF22 likes this.
    01-09-12 12:26 AM
    I am a retired chemist. I spent the last 15 years of my career molding plastics for various applications. I would like to add my two cents that this is a VERY BAD idea.
    01-09-12 12:38 AM
    You should never try to hide your bulge.. the ladies love it... wait.. what?!
    homer1475 likes this.
    01-09-12 12:53 AM
    You should never try to hide your bulge.. the ladies love it... wait.. what?!
    01-09-12 01:34 AM

Thanks
    No problem whatsoever. It's nothing wrong internally, just a manufacturing thing regarding the case itself..
    01-09-12 01:41 AM
    I am a retired chemist. I spent the last 15 years of my career molding plastics for various applications. I would like to add my two cents that this is a VERY BAD idea.
    Care to explain why? Curious here.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-09-12 02:56 AM
    I'm coming on late here I know, but as a prospective Playbook buyer...a defect like this, especially one that some say is evident right out of the box is a huge concern.

I would probably never try the hairdryer fixit method the OP describes, especially since it will surely void the warranty...but, won't RIM do a warranty replacement for a defect like this? I don't care if it's $299 or $1000...if the dang thing is screwed up right out of the freakin box or it becomes screwed up over a short period of use...I'd sure be hitting RIM up for a refund or replacement.

What's the deal?
    01-09-12 08:52 AM
127 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD