.....the possibility of harming other components to start with, why take a chance when it can be replaced for FREE
    Some people(myself included) enjoy tinkering and fixing things ourselves.
    I don't normally allow mechanics to fix my car either. If it's warranty work I check it in the parking lot and most times have to have them fix something they broke in the process.
    It's not for everyone but I welcome diy posts like this.
    01-08-12 11:39 AM
    Some people(myself included) enjoy tinkering and fixing things ourselves.
    I don't normally allow mechanics to fix my car either. If it's warranty work I check it in the parking lot and most times have to have them fix something they broke in the process.
    It's not for everyone but I welcome diy posts like this.
    I understand that, but when the "car" or "item" is NEW, why take a chance
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-08-12 12:00 PM
    Nice to see somebody who appreciates a god mod Really though this is a very easy thing to do and it only takes a few minutes.

I would love to give you follow-up results. Which games should I be using? I have Asphalt 6, NFS, Starfront, and Machinarium. I did a few hours of gaming last night with no change.

LMAO
    Yup - if god did not want us to mod, he/she would not have allowed us to make hair dryers.

I think folks have said SimCity can really heat things up. Those others might be just as good.

Obviously, taking the rear "plastic" shell off and doing it off-pb might be safer if that shell comes off with little effort and returns as completely. Is it "glued" at all or just friction fit?

I don't take mine out of its otterbox often but recall a slight bulge.
    01-08-12 12:03 PM
    I agree, this crude improvisation for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist (other then a minor cosmetic imperfection) does not bode well even for the more seasoned and experienced do-it-your-selfer types. I really do hope no one here will try this.
    Yeah. I keep seeing posts about this bulge issue. Mine has a slight curvature to the back. It appears to me that it is by design. And if it does rock slightly when laid flat that is of no concern to me since tablets are designed to be held when used.

Or as others mentioned if you just grab one of those gel cases that'll make it sit flat. CB sells one that's very inexpensive.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-08-12 12:06 PM
    Yup - if god did not want us to mod, he/she would not have allowed us to make hair dryers.

I think folks have said SimCity can really heat things up. Those others might be just as good.

Obviously, taking the rear "plastic" shell off and doing it off-pb might be safer if that shell comes off with little effort and returns as completely. Is it "glued" at all or just friction fit?

Lol, as you can tell I am still getting used to typing on the PB hahahahaha

I think that the back is just friction fit, but I think that you need to have some special tool to remove it without damaging or scuffing anything. Also, I am not sure how good it would be afterwards for keeping the dust out. I do agree that this would be safer (and easier!) to do if you take off the backing. For me it is safe enough as-is hehehe

It's funny though, there is a lot of hate seemingly from other members of this DIY mod and I am not sure why...I mean nobody is making anybody try it It's something that I did and I know how to do so I was not least bit worried about it, well maybe "least" bit
    Last edited by dejanh; 01-08-12 at 12:09 PM.
    01-08-12 12:06 PM
    Yup - if God did not want us to mod, he/she would not have allowed us to make hair dryers.

Hey pizza man, that's God with a big GD
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-08-12 12:19 PM
    If its a new pb why would you even bother with this. If your past the exchange date then just buy a case for the thing. Me personally, I would try the mod and ignore the busy bodies who don't have much to do with their life except impart their (self proclaimed) wisdom upon this forum. I say dingle it, crack it, beta it or leave as is. Its YOUR playbook.
    Lyls likes this.
    01-08-12 12:28 PM
    I understand that, but when the "car" or "item" is NEW, why take a chance
    The same question is asked by my wife sometimes. The satisfaction of fixing it yourself I assume. The same reason poeple visit these forums and don't call RIM for every issue. I think its crazy people root their PB's but mostly because I wouldn't know what to do if I had a problem. If I feel confident enough in my abilities to minimize risk I do it myself.

The back is friction fit and those plastic case opener tools will get it off without damage. If you feel confident enough to perform that kind of task.

I don't think removing the back will void any warranty. There is no way for RIM to know . No stickers or any paint that I see.
    01-08-12 12:30 PM
    Hey pizza man, that's God with a big GD
    Notice I added he/she, also. Enough in there to offend anyone or everyone.

But I was not hoping to offend any.
    01-08-12 12:35 PM
    Seriously why on earth is everybody so angry and annoyed by this? Simple if you don't like the idea don't do it. Some people like to tinker with their own stuff.
    I am glad the OP has put time and effort into letting others know, if i need to do this at least i have this option!
    I for one build my own PC's and have never taken mt PC or any gadget in for repair and most likely never will!
    It is no different than playing with your car
    dejanh, Chaddface, Lyls and 2 others like this.
    01-08-12 12:56 PM
    while you guys are busy worrying about how and why would anyone do this to the pb, i got it done within a minute. came back and continue reading page 2, and STILL seeing people worrying about the effects. This is very simple and straightforward. i think op has explained in his 2nd post on why it will not likely damage yr components.

anyway, I now have a flat PB that feels even classier without the bulde should've thought of it loooong ago despite my hair dryer sitting on my table everyday.
    Chaddface, dejanh, FF22 and 1 others like this.
    01-08-12 01:23 PM
    Mine has a slight bulge on the back, right at the logo/cpu. It did not have this when new.

I am tech support for a living and have been for a long time. Fixed so many iPads/iPhones/Computers and so on its sickening.

I chatted to RIM over this. They said the first Playbooks are completely flat but after a while the started to make them with the slightest bulge (way less than a mm) to facilitate better air flow over the CPU. If yours has a bulge and get hot under normal use it should be looked at, not fix by yourself.

If you have an early one (like me) that was flat and now isn't, it should be looked at by RIM. There could be thermal damage to the Logic Board from exceeding the thermal limit for the hardware.

Mine is going in to Rim in the morning, got the fedex box yesterday.

My professional advice to everyone is NOT TO DO THIS!. unless you are skilled and knowledgeable in the thermal limits of the hardware, the bulge should be reported to RIM.

In my personal experience, you will regret it later if its not dealt with properly.

Sorry OP, Just my opinion. Had to share.
    thinkbig12 likes this.
    01-08-12 01:57 PM
    Tom, What is the serial of the early one you bought?
    I just question RIM's explaination.
    We have a 1343-0 and a 1343-1. They both seem to be early builds. The 1 was bought in April and the 0 bought late summer. Both have bulges and the earlier build is bigger. I am assuming the serial numbers go in order.

Do you have battery guru? I would like to know the tempature for "hot".
    01-08-12 02:29 PM
    Mine has a slight bulge on the back, right at the logo/cpu. It did not have this when new.

I am tech support for a living and have been for a long time. Fixed so many iPads/iPhones/Computers and so on its sickening.

I chatted to RIM over this. They said the first Playbooks are completely flat but after a while the started to make them with the slightest bulge (way less than a mm) to facilitate better air flow over the CPU. If yours has a bulge and get hot under normal use it should be looked at, not fix by yourself.

If you have an early one (like me) that was flat and now isn't, it should be looked at by RIM. There could be thermal damage to the Logic Board from exceeding the thermal limit for the hardware.

My professional advice to everyone is NOT TO DO THIS!. unless you are skilled and knowledgeable in the thermal limits of the hardware, the bulge should be reported to RIM.

In my personal experience, you will regret it later if its not dealt with properly.

Ok, no offense to you but airflow? I really hope you are not serious

This is a sealed unit, and it is passively cooled. Whatever heat is produced simply leaves the unit through the case itself and through any other cracks/openings there are on the unit. So, unless your unit is faulty to begin with or you have had one where the back is actually making contact with the motherboard and the chip in the back this is all a moot point. Nice try though whoever told you this from the RIM side. Reminds me of the saying, "it's not a bug, it's a feature", or Apple's "you're holding it wrong!" hahaha

I do agree with you though that if you get a bulge developing over time you may need to get your unit serviced. So far the unit I'm using now barely feels lukewarm, even under stress (extended 3D gaming).
    Last edited by dejanh; 01-08-12 at 02:36 PM.
    peter9477 and andino like this.
    01-08-12 02:30 PM
    I take my hat off to the op and those that have the courage to mod their devices. But I have a question. Why does the bulge bother so many people? My PlayBook has the slight bulge in back, but it never bothered me or my usage. It runs just fine and as some have stated, once placed in the journal or converter case (such as mine) the bump is not noticed. I hear some taking them back to the stores for this issue. Is it really that big of a deal? And I don't mean this in a nasty way, just curious on the reasons why it bothers so many people?
    01-08-12 02:34 PM

This is a sealed unit, and it is passively cooled. Whatever heat is produced simply leaves the unit through the case itself and through any other cracks/openings there are on the unit. So, unless your unit is faulty to begin with or you have had one where the back is actually making contact with the motherboard and the chip in the back this is all a moot point. Nice try though whoever told you this from the RIM side. Reminds me of the saying, "it's not a bug, it's a feature", or Apple's "you're holding it wrong!" hahaha

Sorry, I completely disagree with you. Have you looked at iFixit? ever seen one in pieces? Just because the device appears sealed you say the chip needs no air movement? The heat sinks move heat, even a few mills can affect another chip or component.

None of this adds up to me at all.
    Last edited by CanadianThomas; 01-08-12 at 02:41 PM.
    01-08-12 02:36 PM
    Tom, What is the serial of the early one you bought?
    I just question RIM's explaination.
    We have a 1343-0 and a 1343-1. They both seem to be early builds. The 1 was bought in April and the 0 bought late summer. Both have bulges and the earlier build is bigger. I am assuming the serial numbers go in order.

Do you have battery guru? I would like to know the tempature for "hot".
    I'll PM you with numbers. The important thing is, where they flat at first, or have the always had the slight bulge? Are you experiencing any issues from it? see below.

No Battery guru here. Hot to me is wen I bought it I would feel the slightest temp at the logo when streaming video now its way hotter. As the heat increases my wifi performance decreases. I firmly believe there is a problem with some units and their heat sinks. I think they have an issue that results in diminished performance (heat dissipation) and as a result the play books components suffer for the excessive heat.
    01-08-12 02:40 PM

I do agree with you though that if you get a bulge developing over time you may need to get your unit serviced. So far the unit I'm using now barely feels lukewarm, even under stress (extended 3D gaming).
    Too me thats the difference. Bulge with no affects, no problem. Bulge with affects, problem.
    01-08-12 02:42 PM
    I take my hat off to the op and those that have the courage to mod their devices. But I have a question. Why does the bulge bother so many people? My PlayBook has the slight bulge in back, but it never bothered me or my usage. It runs just fine and as some have stated, once placed in the journal or converter case (such as mine) the bump is not noticed. I hear some taking them back to the stores for this issue. Is it really that big of a deal? And I don't mean this in a nasty way, just curious on the reasons why it bothers so many people?
    Honestly, mostly aesthetics. I also did not care for the slight wobble when the unit was lying flat.

Sorry, I completely disagree with you. Have you looked at iFixit? ever seen one in pieces? Just because the device appears sealed you say the chip needs no air movement? The heat sinks move heat, even a few mills can affect another chip or component.

None of this adds up to me at all.
    Yep, seen one in pieces. I did not say that chip need or does not need air movement, fact is that it is passively cooled so the discussion about "air movement" is irrelevant. There is no air movement in that sense. Some natural convection will occur as a result of temperature differences but there is no active "airflow" to remove heat. Now, the reson for not placing a piece of plastic on top of a chip would be that you do not want to insulate it.
    01-08-12 02:47 PM

Agreed. Have the same problem as you with this. My playbook is at the Nashville depot and will be delivered to RIM tomorrow morning.
    01-08-12 02:48 PM
    I'll PM you with numbers. The important thing is, where they flat at first, or have the always had the slight bulge? Are you experiencing any issues from it? see below.

No Battery guru here. Hot to me is wen I bought it I would feel the slightest temp at the logo when streaming video now its way hotter. As the heat increases my wifi performance decreases. I firmly believe there is a problem with some units and their heat sinks. I think they have an issue that results in diminished performance (heat dissipation) and as a result the play books components suffer for the excessive heat.
    Bulges were always there. One slight and the other rather large. Exchanged 3 through staples business account and all three had large bulge out of the box. I haven't noticed any diminished performance. The highest temp recorded was around 105F which feels quite warm but the bulge never changed.
    I can't disagree with your decision to send your PB back if the back is changing shape. Doesn't sound good.
    01-08-12 02:51 PM
    Not many of us have removed the cover but if you look at those teardown videos you should see some foil tape on the inside over the logo. The foil is about the same shape as whatever component it's covering. Could that help with radiant cooling? Maybe help spread the heat to a larger area?
    01-08-12 03:01 PM
    I'm afraid RIM is just trying to feed us some BS with this whole the bulge was introduced in later models for air flow or whatever reason they are spewing. You don't just introduce a bulge in the middle of the product to increase airflow. It's a damn bulge!

While I do have the slight bulge it does not bother me, but passing excuses for an obvious manufacturers defect does. I'm willing to bet that even later build models than mine have a flat rear and mine is a 1344 build.

As a matter of fact, my playbook's back cover does not even align properly with the remainder of the body at the bottom of the unit (dark grey trim) hence producing rough edges at the bottom and the bottom corners, so it's obvious there is an issue with the back covers.
    01-08-12 03:31 PM
    I'm afraid RIM is just trying to feed us some BS with this whole the bulge was introduced in later models for air flow or whatever reason they are spewing. You don't just introduce a bulge in the middle of the product to increase airflow. It's a damn bulge!

While I do have the slight bulge it does not bother me, but passing excuses for an obvious manufacturers defect does. I'm willing to bet that even later build models than mine have a flat rear and mine is a 1344 build.

As a matter of fact, my playbook's back cover does not even align properly with the remainder of the body at the bottom of the unit (dark grey trim) hence producing rough edges at the bottom and the bottom corners, so it's obvious there is an issue with the back covers.
    Yup, I had 3 units from 13435 and 13436 series and they all had perfectly flat backs. My current unit is 13434 series and it did not have a nice flat back (but it does now! ).
    01-08-12 03:53 PM
    Mine is 1343-0582-3361 and build date says 050411. Had a 1 mm bulge at the logo right out the box. Unit seems to get warmer a little over body temperature at times and the bulge stays the same. Performance never changes in any way, except getting a GPS lock in the house is a 50/50 chance.
    01-08-12 04:03 PM
127 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD