Can someone please post how to install CyanogenMod on BB Playbook (if there is a way to do that)

Thanks and Happy New Year
    12-30-13 02:55 PM
    Unless something has changed there's currently no way to hack Android onto the playbook -- even with CyanogenMod.

The reason is that the bootloader is locked. If BBRY were to send an update to the Playbook that unlocked it, then there would be tonnes of people with Android already on theirs.
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    12-30-13 02:57 PM
    Unless something has changed there's currently no way to hack Android onto the playbook -- even with CyanogenMod.

The reason is that the bootloader is locked. If BBRY were to send an update to the Playbook that unlocked it, then there would be tonnes of people with Android already on theirs.
    Man, I would be first in line to port mine to CyanogenMod.

Sent from my Samsung S3 using CB Forums mobile app
    fragment137 likes this.
    12-30-13 03:08 PM
    Man, I would be first in line to port mine to CyanogenMod.

So would I man. Though I'd prefer someone at BBRY figured out how to slim BB10 down to run on 1gb, lol
    12-30-13 03:15 PM
    If only.......
    12-30-13 04:04 PM
    Keep dreaming guys, dreams are good
    12-30-13 05:37 PM
    Keep dreaming guys, dreams are good
    Unfortunately dreams are all BlackBerry left us playbook owner with. All jokes aside what's the harm at this point in time with unlocking our Playbooks, they don't give a crap about us or the Playbooks or they would have at least said something about us by now . Sorry still really pissed off.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using CB Forums mobile app
    12-30-13 06:03 PM
    Unfortunately dreams are all BlackBerry left us playbook owner with. All jokes aside what's the harm at this point in time with unlocking our Playbooks, they don't give a crap about us or the Playbooks or they would have at least said something about us by now . Sorry still really pissed off.

BlackBerry is not going to compromise security. So if you want to run Android on a rooted tablet you might as well sell your BB Playbook and buy an Android tablet such as the Hisense Sera Ultra Pro.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/25/h...-7-pro-review/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Cynycl likes this.
    12-30-13 06:18 PM
    BlackBerry is not going to compromise security. So if you want to run Android on a rooted tablet you might as well sell your BB Playbook and buy an Android tablet such as the Hisense Sera Ultra Pro.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/25/h...-7-pro-review/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Thanks, but I'm using my Samsung Tab 2 now. I don't think the Playbooks community really cares about BlackBerrys security worries any longer,we need options and access to up to date apps. I know I just want the usable tablet that I was promised and never really got.

Last edited by ToddJack; 12-31-13 at 01:36 AM.
    Cynycl likes this.
    12-30-13 06:33 PM
    Thanks, but I'm using my Samsung Tab 2 now. I don't think the Playbooks community really cares about BlackBerrys security worries any longer,we need option and access to up to date apps. I know I just want a usable tablet that I was promised and never really got.

I agree, I doubt anyone at blackberry is using a playbook for anything other than a media player anymore, let alone anyone at any major corporation or any government agency needing more to secure other than the users personal info.

I doubt the secret to how they get the caramel into the chocolate bar is being retained on a playbook anywhere. At least not with the current OS.

If security was a remote concern there wouldn't be android apps on any BB device but its nice to pretend phantom security plays a role.

It is Santa time after all and the Easter Bunny is busy making eggs
    John Hernandez4 likes this.
    12-30-13 07:56 PM
    Believe there are still places where security is a concern. The Android 2.3.3 emulator runs in a sandbox.
    Cynycl likes this.
    12-30-13 08:09 PM
    Can someone please post how to install CyanogenMod on BB Playbook (if there is a way to do that)

Thanks and Happy New Year

If you just admit you're drunk and have no idea what you're typing, that'd be fine and we can forgive and forget about this whole thing...

As a sidenote.. there's nothing more face-palming than some noob who comes in parroting the newest buzzwords they've heard somewhere or other, without educating themselves.

And if those people can't bother to educate themselves, I can't bother to educate them, either.

It took a fair bit of time for me to get acquainted with the Android way of things, and adding mods, etc. You don't just learn it in a day and call yourself an expert. In my case it took about a week. By that point you'd know enough that it's no mere feat to port Cyanogenmod to Playbook, lol.

There's ridiculous amounts of info out there. Research won't hurt you. But just blazing into a forum and newbing out on people isn't a good way to accomplish anything.

If you can't take the time to learn about what you're using, don't expect us to give you the easy answers. It does take some initiative on your part.

For comparison.. what you did is like me asking how to run PS3 games on my Android device. Or my BB10 device. Or my PC. You would know how silly the request would be, with some familiarity. That takes some self-education.

And now i'm going to save this and use it later, because inevitably there is always someone like you. And I don't wish to type out this stuff twice.

Happy new year, dude. If you're the party animal i suspect you to be, rather than the intellectual type, I'm sure your new year will be terrific!
    Last edited by BennyX; 12-30-13 at 08:46 PM.
    12-30-13 08:32 PM
    Believe there are still places where security is a concern. The Android 2.3.3 emulator runs in a sandbox.
    I guess what I was getting at wasn't so much that BB should open their code but rather release a method to blank the playbook so folks could do what they like.

What I don't believe is that playbooks are in use in any sizeable application with the current public OS and Crap world apps that would necessitate them to keep the playbook "secured".

Give me a flash program and let me gain the functionality that I want since they won't be providing any more.
    Last edited by Cynycl; 12-30-13 at 09:46 PM.
    12-30-13 09:10 PM
    Same here man. I cannot get over the fact of all that was said and promised only to be let down. I have since moved on to other platforms, still have the PB in case I can actually use it one of these days.
    12-30-13 11:16 PM
    I guess what I was getting at wasn't so much that BB should open their code but rather release a method to blank the playbook so folks could do what they like.

What I don't believe is that playbooks are in use in any sizeable application with the current public OS and Crap world apps that would necessitate them to keep the playbook "secured".

Give me a flash program and let me gain the functionality that I want since they won't be providing any more.
    if Blackberry's objective was to leave Playbook owners with a half baked tablet, an absolute flaming bag of crap for an app store, and some REALLY hard feeling and lack of trust . HELLO BLACKBERRY "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED". all we ask of you at the very least is to allow Playbook user to get some usefulness from our devices, They do still work well if given the opportunity. At this point I personally don't care what OS or update I put on my Playbooks because two of the three I still own are collecting dust in a closet. honestly any of BlackBerry's security concerns in regards to Playbook at this time are totally irrelevant to the vast majority of playbook users. If Blackberry is looking for a good review from the playbook community to help promote sales, if I were them I wouldn't hold my breath. also I just saw this on Crackberry
    How to install CyanogenMod on BB Playbook-hercules-playbook.jpg
    Why The Hell would I or most other who got suckered punched the first time , buy a new version of your playbook. I think the saying goes " fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.
    Last edited by ToddJack; 12-31-13 at 11:35 AM.
    12-31-13 01:07 AM
    Play it again Sam.
    Cynycl likes this.
    12-31-13 01:15 AM
    Guys, the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. I say this as someone who moved to the playbook after rooting and flashing a couple of DROID tablets and phones. For starters if you want decent battery life you have to root and flash because every aspect of that is and its apps is a 24/7 espionage agent. Maintaining a rooted DROID is more than a little bit of a pain...and more than. A few have bricked their devices trying to root them.
    12-31-13 02:35 PM
    I believe BlackBerry should release an update that will unlock the boot-loader. But only to consumers like you and me.They could target PlayBooks by their serial numbers.
    Last edited by rupam95; 12-31-13 at 03:55 PM.
    12-31-13 02:52 PM
    Guys, the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. I say this as someone who moved to the playbook after rooting and flashing a couple of DROID tablets and phones. For starters if you want decent battery life you have to root and flash because every aspect of that is and its apps is a 24/7 espionage agent. Maintaining a rooted DROID is more than a little bit of a pain...and more than. A few have bricked their devices trying to root them.
    Lucky I haven't experienced these issues so far. My Samsung Tab 2 is rooted, but my S3 phone is not. I still get updates from Samsung for my tablet even though it's a rooted device. Yeah if you don't know what you're doing you sure could brick your device. But I think I'd rather attempt to keep my Playbooks useful as compared to in storage as they are now.

12-31-13 03:51 PM
    Everyone makes their own decision about what is useful. Bricks can happen to anyone...including people like me who keep my 16 year old desktop in good health from debian's cli.

If you want an android tablet - great...go get one. But be thoroughly aware of the pros and cons of the rooted droid life before you potentially ruin a playbook.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330
    12-31-13 05:15 PM
    Understood any time you mod your equipment there risk involved, but right now my Playbooks are ruined by BlackBerry's lack of support, their glorified media players right now due to lack of apps and updates, nobody who bought a PlayBook thought BlackBerry would lie to us about its future and lead us on about being ported to BB10. It seems you maybe one of the few customers out there somewhere satisfied with what playbook currently offers, but after using both a PlayBook and a Samsung Tab 2 the only real difference is app accessibility and product support. If my Playbooks had the same type of support that Samsung gives my not so brand new devices, I could have kept my money and still be using a playbook.

12-31-13 06:58 PM
    Understood any time you mod your equipment there risk involved, but right now my Playbooks are ruined by BlackBerry's lack of support, their glorified media players right now due to lack of apps and updates, nobody who bought a PlayBook thought BlackBerry would lie to us about its future and lead us on about being ported to BB10. It seems you maybe one of the few customers out there somewhere satisfied with what playbook currently offers, but after using both a PlayBook and a Samsung Tab 2 the only real difference is app accessibility and product support. If my Playbooks had the same type of support that Samsung gives my not so brand new devices, I could have kept my money and still be using a playbook.

Playbook meets my needs fairly well. My daughter and son-in-law also find their PBs quite useful and have used them in many places throughout the country and in Europe. Personally I am pretty much a stay at home and even the much maigned PB browser is useful to me. Slow startup is no problem because I usually put it in standby when not using it. So there are many of us who are pretty well satisfied. Not that we aren't disappointed by not getting even more and the failure to deliver on promises.

BTW: I have had a 2012 Nexus 7 since fall of 2012 and Google does continue to improve the OS. But I use the PB more.
    12-31-13 07:18 PM
    Playbook meets my needs fairly well. My daughter and son-in-law also find their PBs quite useful and have used them in many places throughout the country and in Europe. Personally I am pretty much a stay at home and even the much maigned PB browser is useful to me. Slow startup is no problem because I usually put it in standby when not using it. So there are many of us who are pretty well satisfied. Not that we aren't disappointed by not getting even more and the failure to deliver on promises.

BTW: I have had a 2012 Nexus 7 since fall of 2012 and Google does continue to improve the OS. But I use the PB more.
    I totally understand that , my Playbooks are loaded up with movies for road trips. I guess it comes down to what you want to use it for, I utilize so may apps on my Tab 2 that don't have any equivalent on playbook or won't work correctly when side loaded. I need it to have more access to apps I currently use pretty much everyday now. Unfortunately I don't have that option the way playbook and BlackBerry app store is currently configured.

12-31-13 07:45 PM