I have been thinking of getting a car mount to use my PB on drives...... so finally I went and bought this mount from Amazon (see link below).
    This morning I thought of giving it a shot, so leaving early for work I pulled up Magellan compass app (downloaded from app world) and plugged in my work address.....

The connection never dropped over my bluetooth (bridged between my BB9700 and the sexy sleek PB )
    It was a 20 minute drive, and the map worked like a charm.

Now only if we have voice assist with this app, or someone launches a GPS navigation map it would be golden.

Anyways, long story short- my day has been given an awesome exciting start, for the ones who think PB can't do enough- well here is another example what its potential is.....

Have uploaded a couple of pictures for all of you to enjoy !!!

Here is the link to the car mount if someone wants to buy-
    Amazon.com: Arkon SM517 Windshield Mount for 7-Inch Tablets: Electronics
    The mount works very well, its solid when it sticks to the windows... has good reviews too, and is darn cheap.

And finally don't forget to say Hi to Garfield riding on the back window

Have a good day everyone !!
    Last edited by anindoc; 12-13-11 at 07:54 AM.
    12-13-11 07:50 AM
    How does the windshield-mounted tablet impact your lines of sight from the driver's seat?

I was thinking about getting a car mount for my tablet but the other day on a road trip I realize my car has an ideal spot already waiting to receive the tablet. The centre console has a perfectly-sized for the BlackBerry PlayBook vertical slot just behind the two cup/bottle holders and is located just under the lower dashboard. The location is very discrete and with the black neoprene case the tablet is virtually invisible when not in use. Now the location is not ideal of watching movies or playing games but then the passenger(s) could hold the tablet on those occasions.
    12-13-11 08:07 AM
    This morning I'm sitting in a coffee shop, on the coffee shop wifi but bridged to my blackberry 9700 and reviewing a proposal with PDF Viewer. I'm also on my corporate intranet to pull in marketing materials and talking with team members on my bb while scrolling through the form with them, making notes on the proposal with groovynotes synced to my dropbox, using the Business Opportunity Evaluation to consider project feasibility with Venturecon Business Analysis Toolbox and in general having a really good time.
    Hgouck, Willard814 and void11 like this.
    12-13-11 08:33 AM
    How does the windshield-mounted tablet impact your lines of sight from the driver's seat?

I was thinking about getting a car mount for my tablet but the other day on a road trip I realize my car has an ideal spot already waiting to receive the tablet. The centre console has a perfectly-sized for the BlackBerry PlayBook vertical slot just behind the two cup/bottle holders and is located just under the lower dashboard. The location is very discrete and with the black neoprene case the tablet is virtually invisible when not in use. Now the location is not ideal of watching movies or playing games but then the passenger(s) could hold the tablet on those occasions.
    I played around with where to put the PB on the windshield, but I found that far top is the best place. As you see in the picture, its right now on the passengers side and it dosent obstruct the view at all, I even tried on the drivers side at the same position and it works just fine.
    I personally feel that if you install it near the bottom of the windshield it will obstruct your view of the road, toward the up it dosent, unless you have it smack in front of your face and trying to read road signs.....

Also having it higher on the windshield, allows space for the airbags (just in case).......
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-13-11 08:52 AM
    I am in surgery doing a spinal decompression and fusion. The playbook allows me to track the inventory, do my billing, and surf the web when there is some downtime!
    12-13-11 09:29 AM
    I am in surgery doing a spinal decompression and fusion. The playbook allows me to track the inventory, do my billing, and surf the web when there is some downtime!
    Nice.... PB and its varied uses....
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-13-11 09:38 AM
    U guys should get the 7.1os for bold n torch, with wifi hotspot, making the experience with pb a way lot better..! I've never mounted my pb in our car, but my daughter really appreciate the faster connection via wifi hotspot rather then bridge all these while and it keep her pretty occupied all the way on our journeys

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-11 09:40 AM
    U guys should get the 7.1os for bold n torch, with wifi hotspot, making the experience with pb a way lot better..! I've never mounted my pb in our car, but my daughter really appreciate the faster connection via wifi hotspot rather then bridge all these while and it keep her pretty occupied all the way on our journeys

I am sure it would be a great idea, but the caveat been that out here in the US there are some issues with some carriers charging for using the hotspot features, even simple bridge can't be used on the AT&T network- so for them, the bridge is still the best workable option. But I am sure the hotspot feature would be a lot faster than bridge.... ohh Uncle Sam !!!!!
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-13-11 09:43 AM
    I am sure it would be a great idea, but the caveat been that out here in the US there are some issues with some carriers charging for using the hotspot features, even simple bridge can't be used on the AT&T network- so for them, the bridge is still the best workable option. But I am sure the hotspot feature would be a lot faster than bridge.... ohh Uncle Sam !!!!!
    Ouch! My sympathy for those who are limited by their carriers.. I totally forgot about the limitations some are facing.

Either way, bridge or hotspot, both will ensure a bonus point for using the pb.

12-13-11 09:49 AM
    I want to mount mine on my bike! When someone figures out how to do that I'll be impressed!
    12-13-11 10:21 AM
    thanks for the tip! that's very much the car mount i was looking for and for $11 and change that fits the bill. awesome.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-13-11 11:12 AM
    I want to mount mine on my bike! When someone figures out how to do that I'll be impressed!
    Check out RAM mounts. A U-bolt combined with one of their options probably would work. Although, I'm not sure the insides of the pb could take jolts and shocks on are regular basis. I recall even issues with some gps units being rebuilt so solder points would not break way. And there were spring cushioned mounts.
    12-13-11 11:39 AM
    I played around with where to put the PB on the windshield, but I found that far top is the best place. As you see in the picture, its right now on the passengers side and it dosent obstruct the view at all, I even tried on the drivers side at the same position and it works just fine.
    I personally feel that if you install it near the bottom of the windshield it will obstruct your view of the road, toward the up it dosent, unless you have it smack in front of your face and trying to read road signs.....

Also having it higher on the windshield, allows space for the airbags (just in case).......
    Yeah but what about an on ramp that will be on your right and elevated. You are seriously diminishing your line of sight there. I couldn't imagine that being legal in every state. If I can't have tint on my front window I am pretty certain I can't just cover up an 8 x 8 inch area of my windshield too.

Maybe you just need a periscope!
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-13-11 12:08 PM
    Yeah but what about an on ramp that will be on your right and elevated. You are seriously diminishing your line of sight there. I couldn't imagine that being legal in every state. If I can't have tint on my front window I am pretty certain I can't just cover up an 8 x 8 inch area of my windshield too.

Maybe you just need a periscope!
    As I posted earlier, it does not hinder my line of sight at all. Yes, if you are 6'5" and on the ramp thats going into the sky, that might hinder the view. Moreover, if you look at the physics of an elevated ramp your car would also be climbing the elevation at the same time thus keeping your line of sight similar to the one on flat roads. There won't be any obstruction (unless a giant is riding a mini cooper ).

A lot of people even have their GPS units in similar places.

Been legal: as far as I can tell Illinois does have restrictions on anything that you put on the windshield, anywhere (nothing is allowed), Minnesota most likely, New Jersey, California (recently repealed).... the other states I don't know. The rules are equivalent for GPS units, radar detectors, cell phones etc that can be mounted.

It sucks the state you are in, that even a window tint that small is not allowed... lucky to be somewhere else

And yes, this morning I had at least 2 cops pass/stopped next to my car in peak time traffic, did take a glance into my car with the glowing PB...... I am sure they envied it
    12-13-11 01:50 PM
    has anyone actually installed a playbook into their vehicle? i don't mean using a mount either, i mean actually sculpting out the interior and making the playbook fit into it. i have seen a video in the past where someone does this to their console in their new truck for their ipad so that it was installed in to be used as a gps nav system and use the ipad while "on the go"... i'm just looking for some pointers for when i install mine.
    12-13-11 02:57 PM
    damn... i'd be afraid to mount it up that high.. thats a long drop... hope you have a safety net...
    12-13-11 03:22 PM
    Check out this link for your bike mounts:

RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.

They have different handlebar, wheelchair, bike, motorcycle options....
    12-13-11 03:36 PM
    looks amazing!
    nice work.
    anindoc likes this.
    12-13-11 03:39 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...rcycle-610671/
    12-13-11 04:14 PM
    damn... i'd be afraid to mount it up that high.. thats a long drop... hope you have a safety net...
    Yaa thats my worry too, but this mount is like the superglue of suction mounts...
    I do not plan to use it all the time, every now and then depending on my needs....moreover the position can be always changed, and there is the option of it been mounted directly on the dash board using the stick plate (look at the link to the product).
    Also the good thing is that it fits my BB perfectly too, so I can use Blackberry traffic as the GPS until they come up with something for the PB....... its all good
    12-13-11 04:17 PM
    how exactly does the mount grip the PB ? (thinking about abrasion marks over time ect-) just after an idea of how robust the mount is?

couple of hundread bucks of kit being held in place by a $10 clamp!

im not being negative just like an honest assessment!!
    12-13-11 04:21 PM
    How about attaching it to your visor? Flip it up when you don't need it, if you need the mirror, turn on the front facing camera. BOOM!
    00stryder and FF22 like this.
    12-13-11 04:24 PM
    how exactly does the mount grip the PB ? (thinking about abrasion marks over time ect-) just after an idea of how robust the mount is?

couple of hundread bucks of kit being held in place by a $10 clamp!

im not being negative just like an honest assessment!!
    The mount has a spring mechanism.If you look at the picture of the mount i have posted it has hooks on the top and bottom. These hooks have inner padding that will prevent the PB from been physically damaged. The spring action is pretty strong,but not that strong to crumble the PB.
    Moreover since the spring can be stretched you can use an additional case over your PB just as an extra layer of protection. I use the Incipio feather light case, and it fits perfectly well.
    12-13-11 04:27 PM
    How about attaching it to your visor? Flip it up when you don't need it, if you need the mirror, turn on the front facing camera. BOOM!
    I am sure thats a legit possibility, and you wont need any mounts for that, a couple of elastic bands should do that job.....
    12-13-11 04:29 PM
    Check out this link for your bike mounts:

RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.

They have different handlebar, wheelchair, bike, motorcycle options....
    Thank you! I just don't see the playbook model in their lineup, but I'll keep checking...
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-15-11 09:39 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD