Took my daughter to the rink for (yet another) 90 minute try-out/practice, so had some time to kill.

This time I took my Playbook along, as it fits perfectly in my coat pocket - so no conflict carrying the hockey bag and stick while lugging a notebook or an iPad sized device that requires a dedicated hand or shoulder bag to carry. (Even using the Playbook, I still had one hand free for my Timmy's

At the rink, I fired up my Playbook and:

1. Read my email (personal and corporate accounts);
    2. Reviewed/edited some Word documents for a colleague;
    3. Reviewed a draft PowerPoint;
    4. Did some personal on-line banking;
    5. Finished my monthly expense report;
    6. Checked the score of the Montreal/Boston game;
    7. Finished reading a novel that had originally downloaded from Kobo to my Sony e-Reader (bye-bye eReader - it was good while it lasted, but you are now too uni-functional for me...).
    8. Video taped my daughter on the ice, so I can prove I was actually paying attention and watching her skate.

Probably also helped sell a dozen Playbooks in the process...

If every hockey dad/mom in the country owned one, our nation's productivity would go through the roof. Think of the millions and millions of hours of lost time spent at the rink...
    04-22-11 01:00 PM
    RIM needs to feature you in a commercial.
    04-22-11 01:02 PM
    So many people underestimate the power of "fits in your coat pocket"! I rate that higher than RAM/ROM/CPU/Pixels....

I just think how useful my Kindle3 has been the last year in all my travels (local and international) and then imagine having my Kindle library AND all the PB + BB goodness thown in - in the same pocket-space
    04-22-11 01:09 PM
    This is what I don't get. I have also had a similar positive experience. Not one glitch so far. I've also shown it to a number of people while I've been out and about. Most seem impressed that it works at all! In reality, it is an amazing device. And if they keep adding features and software, it will only get better.
    04-22-11 01:14 PM
    I haven't been able to use mine in field too much yet, but I've found even at home it's made me more productive. Very happy with it so far.
    04-22-11 01:19 PM
    So many people underestimate the power of "fits in your coat pocket"! I rate that higher than RAM/ROM/CPU/Pixels....

I just think how useful my Kindle3 has been the last year in all my travels (local and international) and then imagine having my Kindle library AND all the PB + BB goodness thown in - in the same pocket-space
    Totally agree, now that I've got Playdiction (Playbook addiction). Guess that's why we are still waiting to see that 10.1" Kindle/Sony/Nook eReader to ship...

My 2 cents - Form enables usability - which in turn will ultimately drive functionality.
    04-22-11 01:26 PM
    How are you able to edit word docs and such? I can't even get them to open? Did you drag and drop from your Desktop Managher, USB or wirelessley? I cannot even get that to work. Also, is there a workaround to open password protected attachments from email?
    04-22-11 01:26 PM
    How are you able to edit word docs and such? I can't even get them to open? Did you drag and drop from your Desktop Managher, USB or wirelessley? I cannot even get that to work. Also, is there a workaround to open password protected attachments from email?
    Used Explorer to map a network drive to the Playbook folders, and then simply dragged/dropped the files. They were transferred across WIFI to the Playbook very quickly.

One observation that is both nice and not nice - when I opened up the various apps to access the files (DocsToGo) the files I copied across were immediately listed in the root directory - even though I had created sub-directories for each file type on the Playbook. Nice because I didn't have to go looking for them (boom - there they were), not nice because it means my carefully designed nested folders filing system doesn't apply for actually locating files. Once I get a lot of files over, it will be one long scrolling exercise... Hopefully this oversight will be addressed in a future upgrade - I can wait. Unlike accessing docs on a phone, which I did occasionally, I suspect that people will really load up their Playbooks with files given the much larger screen and keyboard, and will thus crave better file organisation capabilities.

Don't know about accessing password protected files.
    Last edited by asherwiin; 04-22-11 at 01:38 PM.
    04-22-11 01:34 PM
    If I had a dollar for every playbook I've helped sell over the last week, I'd probably have about $10!... Thats still $10 richer than I was before!

People in starbucks love this thing! Turns out its a pretty good chick magnet to!! Got one girls number! HAHA! Thank you RIM! I'm now officially naming my first child after you as thanks!
    04-22-11 01:37 PM
    If I had a dollar for every playbook I've helped sell over the last week, I'd probably have about $10!... Thats still $10 richer than I was before!

People in starbucks love this thing! Turns out its a pretty good chick magnet to!! Got one girls number! HAHA! Thank you RIM! I'm now officially naming my first child after you as thanks!
    Are you naming your first kid "RIM" or "Berry" or "P.B."?
    lcooksey likes this.
    04-22-11 01:41 PM

You sound victorious, as if this is the first time a chick ever spoke to you. How old did you say you are?
    04-22-11 01:53 PM
    Took my daughter to the rink for (yet another) 90 minute try-out/practice, so had some time to kill.

This time I took my Playbook along, as it fits perfectly in my coat pocket - so no conflict carrying the hockey bag and stick while lugging a notebook or an iPad sized device that requires a dedicated hand or shoulder bag to carry. (Even using the Playbook, I still had one hand free for my Timmy's

7. Finished reading a novel that had originally downloaded from Kobo to my Sony e-Reader (bye-bye eReader - it was good while it lasted, but you are now too uni-functional for me...).
    8. Video taped my daughter on the ice, so I can prove I was actually paying attention and watching her skate.

If every hockey dad/mom in the country owned one, our nation's productivity would go through the roof. Think of the millions and millions of hours of lost time spent at the rink...
    Sorry I was too distraced, all I kept thinking in my head was mmmm hockey moms...theyre usually hot.
    04-22-11 01:55 PM
    Sorry I was too distraced, all I kept thinking in my head was mmmm hockey moms...theyre usually hot.
    Hard to tell, because they are usually wearing parkas. Now swim moms - that's a different story...
    04-23-11 10:27 AM
    Did you record the whole practice while you did everything else?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-11 10:31 AM

If you had a Galaxy Tab, you could all of the above and
    1. reply text messages
    2. make phone calls.
    3. leave your phone / bb at home. (unless you were using BES )
    04-23-11 11:00 AM
    I just got my 64GB Playbook last night & this thing is amazing. The Bridge is awesome and i haven't been having issues with the web links on the phone emails. They still have some work to do on the app base, adding in BBM and some other features, but as it stands right now I feel it is the best tablet available.
    04-23-11 11:01 AM
    If you had a Galaxy Tab, you could all of the above and
    1. reply text messages
    2. make phone calls.
    3. leave your phone / bb at home. (unless you were using BES )
    On a WiFi only GT?
    04-23-11 11:15 AM

Much like fishing, time spent at the rink is never lost. Excluding of course any Van fan at last Thursday's game
    04-23-11 11:25 AM
    You sound victorious, as if this is the first time a chick ever spoke to you. How old did you say you are?
    was thinking the exact same thing. must be a young teenager.
    04-23-11 11:32 AM
    On a WiFi only GT?
    On wifi only version if you are using google voice and a sip client.
    But why buy wifi only when you can buy 3G for less than what you pay for wifi only playbook.
    04-23-11 11:38 AM
    On wifi only version if you are using google voice and a sip client.
    But why buy wifi only when you can buy 3G for less than what you pay for wifi only playbook.
    I don't think it will be long until an app is made that allows you make WiFi calls on the PB too. But that's up to developers, so we'll just have to wait and see.

I honestly don't know what a sip client does, so I can't speak on that.

Now add in $30 a month for a service contract and how long until its more expensive than a PB?
    04-23-11 11:44 AM
    Right now, full retail on the 3G GT from VZW is 499.99. Same as the PB.

If you sign a 2 year contract its $199.99. Add in your $35 activation fee and you're up to $234.99. The basic service plan for 1GB a month is $20 a month. So after 1 year of your 2 year contract to get that cheaper price, it is now as expensive as the PB but you still have another year to go (11 months).
    04-23-11 11:58 AM

Cmon, ya can't make me believe the Playbook has a tape drive. Next thing you'll be telling me is it plays your records!.

04-23-11 12:09 PM
    Took my son to Timmies this morning and let him play with the PB while I was talking to a friend. Within a few minutes he had a crowd of people around him and a couple of them said they were heading straight to the mall to buy their own PBs.
    04-23-11 12:16 PM

Lol this part made me laugh because you could be been multitasking and actually playing need for speed gotta love this device!!!
    04-23-11 01:07 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD