Hi Guys.

Thought I'd share my setup for wirelessly using the Playbook to remote control my PowerPoint presentations.

My situation is that I give alot of presentations to large numbers of people. While I have used the HDMI cable to great success in smaller meeting rooms where mobility wasn't an issue, I found in large venues that I needed something wireless and more portable. I personally like to walk about during any talk, changing audience perspectives and engaging with people while I present. So the idea of having an HDMI cable trailing me didn't really gel for these situations. Also, I hate looking back at the screen while talking so having the presentation in front of me so I can casually caste my eye over it is great. On top of that, I love to doodle over my presentations while I talk using the PowerPoint annotation tools (pen, highlight, etc).

In the absence of a suitable app, with some tinkering and some free PlayBook and PC software, I managed to turn my trusty tablet into an awesome walkabout wireless presentation tool. I know I may not the first to do this, however thought I'd share it for those with similar needs. Apologies and credit if this technique has been posted already.

My solution was to use plug my laptop into the conference projector, then create a personal wireless network through which I could use my PlayBook to remote control the presentation on the laptop. Found it to be excellent and with a bit of practice soon soon had full, smooth control over all the normal PowerPoint controls, slide transitions, annotation, etc. The best outcome was my credibility as an IT professional went through the roof walking about with my high-res PlayBook wireless remote terminal during the talk! Even had to remind a few people to stop straining and staring at my Playbook and start paying attention to what I was saying!!

What free software you will need:

1. Tight VNC - TightVNC: VNC-Compatible Free Remote Control / Remote Desktop Software
    2. IMT VNC - Playbook Appworld
    3. Connectify.ME - Connectify � Your Hotspot, Your Way

How to set up:

1. Install Tight VNC on the laptop you have your presentation on and which you will connect to your projector. (make sure to use a good secure password as the VNC service doesn't inform you of connections to your laptop and let it make the necessary adjustments to your windows firewall).

2. Install Connectify.me on your laptop. While you can create an Adhoc network on your windows box without this software, your PlayBook wont recognize it as it will be looking for an Access Point which is where Connectify.Me comes in as it gives you this option. Use the software to set up your mobile hotspot on your laptop using Access Point as the Security Mode. Be sure to use a good secure password again for your wifi network..you don't want a clever jack in your audience hacking your machine while you present! Again, make sure you set it up as an access point. I normally choose "No internet sharing" as I found the hotspot timed out while waiting for it.

3. Start your mobile hotspot and make note of the IP address on the adhoc network adapter of your laptop. You will need this to add into the Playbook. EDIT: You can get this by running a command prompt (cmd) on your laptop and typing ipconfig or by right clicking on your adhoc network wireless adapter and looking at the status.

4. Connect your Playbook to the wireless hotspot you just created.

5. Launch IMT VNC on your PlayBook and configure it with the IP address and password of the VNC service on your laptop.

Thats it, start your presentation on your laptop, enter presentation mode, connect with your Playbook and you are all good to go. Practice abit to get the hang of using the left, right and pointer buttons, screen transitions, onscreen drawing, etc and you will soon be impressing the heck out of your audience!!
    Last edited by d3adcrab; 09-26-11 at 03:11 AM.
    09-24-11 10:45 AM
    Nice. I used to use something similar to control my media center PC. Didn't have a wireless mouse and keyboard handy. Didn't want to get off the couch between shows. Set up the linux netbook to control the media center.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-11 11:26 AM
    Wouldn't it be easier to get an Android tablet, and use either DLNA or wifi direct? Most of them have that out of the box...
    09-24-11 11:57 AM
    Wouldn't it be easier to get an Android tablet, and use either DLNA or wifi direct? Most of them have that out of the box...
    No it wouldn't.
    jamesbondOO7 and rotorwrench like this.
    09-24-11 12:17 PM
    Well, you most likely wouldn't have to lug around a laptop.
    09-24-11 12:33 PM
    You obviously have no experience speaking in large venues. If you did, you would know that most venues still have legacy tech and are set up for laptop connectivity via cables. Having something that works for say 5% of venues is not a smart thing to do, now is it?

Besides, I wont waste my time responding to such an obviously cynical post from an Android troll as to why it would be just as much effort to do this using android apps.

You do realize this is a BlackBerry PlayBook forum dont you? In case its hard for you to understand what that means... this is where PlayBook owners come to share information and ideas with each other to get the most from their devices. You have to be some kind of pathetic to hang around here trolling each day...which from your posts you clearly do. Why dont you just hang out with your Android loving buddies...sense some BB envy.
    09-24-11 01:01 PM
    Nice, I might give this a go next time I need to give a presentation
    09-24-11 01:21 PM
    Excellent! Thanks I have been looking for a way to do this.

Next:
    Can a similar setup be used to remotely (via remote browser) view/control your desktop from Playbook? Similar to Teamviewer?
    Or does anyone know how to do this?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-24-11 at 01:54 PM.
    I am JT likes this.
    09-24-11 01:48 PM
    No, because then you would have to get an android tablet. This is a Playbook forum. People here mostly prefer Playbooks. I know that disturbs you but... it's reality. Hello?

Isn't there an android forum somewhere you could hang out at and stop being an annoying gnat?
    If you love your androids so much, seriously why aren't you out enjoying them amongst your peers?

Serious issues.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-24-11 at 01:58 PM.
    rotorwrench and nhs_john_doe like this.
    09-24-11 01:49 PM
    You do realize this is a BlackBerry PlayBook forum dont you? In case its hard for you to understand what that means... this is where PlayBook owners come to share information and ideas with each other to get the most from their devices. You have to be some kind of pathetic to hang around here trolling each day...which from your posts you clearly do. Why dont you just hang out with your Android loving buddies...sense some BB envy.
    Ohh already said - sorry I missed that.

But seriously!
    " I can't have one/made a mistake buying an android/whatever so I'm going to make damn sure nobody else enjoys, appreciates their's!"
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-24-11 at 02:05 PM.
    machins likes this.
    09-24-11 02:00 PM
    Thanks to the member (not named here) who reported a persistent troll instead of responding to add fuel to the flames.
    axllebeer, d3adcrab and peter9477 like this.
    09-24-11 02:09 PM
    Great solution, thanks @dcadcrab! I set something up just this last Wednesday for my church using my Android tablet connected via wi-fi to a laptop on the same router, but really wanted to use the PlayBook. Why? First, because the Android tablet takes up too much room on the pulpit. And second, I do not trust Android to stay stable for 60+ minutes, and not freeze or crash during the middle of a sermon.
    klc99 likes this.
    09-24-11 02:42 PM
    Dang I missed all the crap again, no loss.

Cool write up and just might use it sometime.
    09-24-11 02:44 PM
    Not that I'm discounting your cleverness, but I find the Blackberry Presenter works very well for giving presentations using just my phone... I love my Playbook, but the presenter is much smaller to carry around than a laptop and supports vga output along with svideo. Plus, I picked up my presenter for a measly 15 bucks on eBay So, you might look into it if you don't want to lug a laptop around...
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    09-24-11 02:53 PM
    Thanks to the member (not named here) who reported a persistent troll instead of responding to add fuel to the flames.
    If you don't mind my asking. Well, I canNOT quote/copy your ticking tagline but what are you counting?
    jbgoldma likes this.
    09-24-11 03:33 PM
    Forgive my ignorance, but do I need to be connected to the internet (via my laptop and/or PlayBook) for this setup to work?
    09-24-11 04:45 PM
    Brilliant! I have been wondering how I could use my Playbook in this very way. I feel really stupid though because I have both Connectify.me and VNC capability as you have described. Doh! Thanks for connecting the dots for me. I have a presentation to do Tuesday night and will give your setup a whirl.

I also have Blackberry presenter but find it a bit flaky at times. I hope your setup works better. Thanks for taking the time to post.
    09-24-11 04:49 PM
    Great solution, thanks @dcadcrab! I set something up just this last Wednesday for my church using my Android tablet connected via wi-fi to a laptop on the same router, but really wanted to use the PlayBook. Why? First, because the Android tablet takes up too much room on the pulpit. And second, I do not trust Android to stay stable for 60+ minutes, and not freeze or crash during the middle of a sermon.
    I was kicking around the idea of picking up a cheap android tab for my gf and her daughter so I'm amazed and interested to hear your comment that your android tab wont stay stable for 60 min!!!??? Honestly or are you exaggerating, i honestly would like to know beforei waste my money.

thx r
    09-24-11 05:19 PM
    If you don't mind my asking. Well, I canNOT quote/copy your ticking tagline but what are you counting?
    Testing a new forum gadget, not sure it has been released to everyone yet. I think I found a minor bug and not even sure if we will keep it. But... that's my next birthday and celebrating with a visitor.
    09-24-11 05:56 PM
    I was kicking around the idea of picking up a cheap android tab for my gf and her daughter so I'm amazed and interested to hear your comment that your android tab wont stay stable for 60 min!!!??? Honestly or are you exaggerating, i honestly would like to know beforei waste my money.

thx r
    You would be doing your girlfriend and her daughter a favour by buying them a BlackBerry PlayBook at the recently reduced prices in time for the PBOS 2.0 release in October or November or maybe December.
    jamdmyers likes this.
    09-24-11 06:24 PM
    Testing a new forum gadget, not sure it has been released to everyone yet. I think I found a minor bug and not even sure if we will keep it. But... that's my next birthday and celebrating with a visitor.
    Well, as long as we are talking birthdays - mine is tomorrow. All those senior citizen discounts kick-in ()

Someone had asked for a countdown timer to Devcon and I was wondering!!!
    llamax likes this.
    09-24-11 06:40 PM
    Thanks! How much (if any) delay do you get?
    09-24-11 06:48 PM

thx r
    You will be disappointed with a cheap Android tablet. What I mean though is Android, (Honeycomb) is not ready for prime time. Apps crash frequently and I don't trust it for any of my critical needs. For browsing and games it's ok.

I just can't risk this app crashing during church. I need a solid OS that I can count on.
    09-24-11 10:10 PM
    Forgive my ignorance, but do I need to be connected to the internet (via my laptop and/or PlayBook) for this setup to work?
    No internet needed, all works off your adhoc wireless network adapter.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    quik4life likes this.
    09-24-11 10:35 PM
    Great post, Thanks . I'm a Graphic Designer and usually in my design/IT school, people think I'm an IT student because of such tricks .
    09-25-11 12:12 AM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD