Got my Playbook for Christmas and have been at my parents place since.... Just got back to my flat with the PB for the first time and it logged on to my wifi without me prompting it or entering the password. It is NOT an open network.

How is that possible...?

My Blackberry phone IS on and has logged on to the wifi automatically because it's been saved months ago but they aren't currently connected via bridge.

Am I missing the obvious here....?
    01-02-13 08:32 PM
    Are you are saying that the playbook was never at your flat, or are saying you logged on at your flat when you first got it, then went to your parents. If it's the second when you come back it logs in with remembered password.
    01-02-13 08:39 PM
    It's the first time the playbook has been to this flat. I've never logged it on to this network.
    01-02-13 08:45 PM
    It can only of taken the settings from my phone, surely? Is there a way to see the PB's saved networks?
    GV2012 likes this.
    01-02-13 08:47 PM
    Ok, sorry..... I've had a long drive after a long day and I should have put my brain in to gear before posting.

If I go to the network settings and select saved networks from the drop down, all my phones saved networks are there. I feel a little sheepish for posting so quickly but whatever, thats actually a very cool and time-saving feature.
    01-02-13 08:50 PM
    Did it connect to your network or is it connected to "yournetwork"-guest, on mine I didn't realize there was also an open guest network until my Playbook found it.
    01-02-13 08:52 PM
    Once it bridged to your phone it copied the saved networks over.
    Mellfee likes this.
    01-02-13 08:55 PM
    Ok, sorry..... I've had a long drive after a long day and I should have put my brain in to gear before posting.

If I go to the network settings and select saved networks from the drop down, all my phones saved networks are there. I feel a little sheepish for posting so quickly but whatever, thats actually a very cool and time-saving feature.
    You got it.

Did it connect to your network or is it connected to "yournetwork"-guest, on mine I didn't realize there was also an open guest network until my Playbook found it.
    Nope, it connected to his full network, he connected the playbook to his phone via bridge at one time or another and all his phone's saved networks have been copied over even though he wasn't connected to those networks at the time.. now, anytime he takes his playbook anywhere his phone has ever been before it will instantly connect to wifi.. that's the magic of bridge and the power of the playbook and QNX!
    Mellfee likes this.
    01-02-13 08:56 PM
    It's connected to the house wifi, our network. Nothing to indicate any guest network. It's really cool that it's just sucked all my saved networks off my phone.

Does anybody know at what point it does that? I'm guessing it's part of Blackberry Bridge. Maybe it did it first time it was connected. One more thing to like about my PB.
    01-02-13 08:57 PM
    Nope, it connected to his full network, he connected the playbook to his phone via bridge at one time or another and all his phone's saved networks have been copied over even though he wasn't connected to those networks at the time.. now, anytime he takes his playbook anywhere his phone has ever been before it will instantly connect to wifi.. that's the magic of bridge and the power of the playbook and QNX!

Thanks!
    01-02-13 08:58 PM
    That seems a bit dangerous if the playbook copies all the network settings and keeps them. Eg someone lends you their playbook for temporary bridging so you can answer some emails. As soon as the playbook and phone are disconnected everything should disappear from the playbook. If network settings remain that other persons playbook could access any networks set up on your phone.
    Mellfee likes this.
    01-02-13 08:58 PM
    That seems a bit dangerous if the playbook copies all the network settings and keeps them. Eg someone lends you their playbook for temporary bridging so you can answer some emails. As soon as the playbook and phone are disconnected everything should disappear from the playbook. If network settings remain that other persons playbook could access any networks set up on your phone.
    I understand what you're saying.. but I don't personally see that as an issue. Do people really bridge their phones to other people's playbooks? That seems odd to me.. I've passed my playbook to someone else on occasion to let them look something up on the web, or see a picture of video I had pulled up.. but never to bridge it to their phone :s
    01-02-13 09:04 PM
    *gasps* That would be like sharing your wife or girlfriend with another man. You let them look but that is all!

01-02-13 09:05 PM
    I need some sleep and a few days to think about that point. Initially it seems like a great time saving/efficient feature. The thought of sharing a playbook between phones had crossed my mind but I haven't looked in to it yet. Your point is a good one....
    01-02-13 09:06 PM
    I need some sleep and a few days to think about that point. Initially it seems like a great time saving/efficient feature. The thought of sharing a playbook between phones had crossed my mind but I haven't looked in to it yet. Your point is a good one....
    Ok.. so lets say you are sharing the playbook with someone.. one would think then that you know that person well enough that you aren't going to mind them being on your wifi...
    01-02-13 09:09 PM
    While you guys are here, once set up will bridge always work so long as bluetooth is on and the devices are within range..? By 'work' I mean messages come through etc....
    01-02-13 09:11 PM
    While you guys are here, once set up will bridge always work so long as bluetooth is on and the devices are within range..? By 'work' I mean messages come through etc....
    yes...when I drive into my drive way my phone auto connects to my playbook and messages started getting directed to it
    01-02-13 09:13 PM
    Ok.. so lets say you are sharing the playbook with someone.. one would think then that you know that person well enough that you aren't going to mind them being on your wifi...
    ...agreed. And I can't see me letting anyone else bridge to my PB as it's basically just letting them do what they could do on their phone. There would be no need.
    01-02-13 09:14 PM
    yes...when I drive into my drive way my phone auto connects to my playbook and messages started getting directed to it
    *gasp!*.......You leave your PB at home??.....leave..........at home?...........all by its lonesome? .........where's the love!!!
    just_luc, crackberryjill and Nels like this.
    01-03-13 07:07 AM
    You just discovered one of my favorite features about the PlayBook!
    01-03-13 10:32 AM
    On the phone go into the bridge software, highlight the connection, blackberry button, device properties, and make sure you have a check mark against automatically connect to playbook when in range. You can scroll down and make sure everything else is checked too.
    Mellfee likes this.
    01-03-13 10:41 AM
    You're not the first. I was surprised when this happened to me too. Cool feature. Wish my iOS devices did it.
    01-03-13 10:51 AM
    let's see any icrap or fandroids do THIS! go blackberry! by the way, did you know that on bb10 the phone can retrieve data from the playbook (ie: your Z10 or X10 can get the saved wifi/contacts/etc from your playbook)?
    01-03-13 10:58 AM
    let's see any icrap or fandroids do THIS! go blackberry! by the way, did you know that on bb10 the phone can retrieve data from the playbook (ie: your Z10 or X10 can get the saved wifi/contacts/etc from your playbook)?
    Is this import of saved networks, contacts etc an initial, one-time thing? I was planning different ways to get this info on my Z10 when I get it, but if this happens automatically when you first bridge them together then - problem solved!
    01-03-13 11:33 AM
    [QUOTE=jvictor77;7821596]Is this import of saved networks, contacts etc an initial, one-time thing?QUOTE]

It happens the first time you bridge. Each bridge connection thereafter it is seeking updated info
    01-03-13 04:49 PM
28 12