08-22-12 07:47 PM
42 12
tools
    Does this one have a flash for the camera(s)?
    No. Only differences between the 4G/LTE PB and the WiFi PB are under the hood (i.e processor, wx connectivity, etc)
    08-20-12 09:09 PM
    I have visited several stores approx 30 minutes east of Toronto (driving a car estimated time) and have yet to see a 4g pb in stock. So I would assume none have sold in my area unless they were Web ordered.
    08-20-12 11:55 PM
    Gonna be interesting if they even sell them at all here. Apple got caned for advertising their new iPad as LTE...
    08-21-12 02:52 AM
    No, I mean portable hotspots...

Here's the one I have:
    https://www.orderrogers.ca/rocket/hotspot/#/overview

No computer needed, no phone, no nothing. Just this device. It's like a mini-router that has internet wherever it goes.
    Rogers three year plan is still $349 for the LTE model, they be crazy!!! $50 for the hot spot, same $52/month plan for 10GB/month which is still too much for too little IMO. $50 for 50GB/month maybe...
    Last edited by hpulley; 08-22-12 at 03:09 PM. Reason: DYAC, hot spot not hospital!!!
    08-22-12 03:07 PM
    Rogers three year plan is still $349 for the LTE model, they be crazy!!! $50 for the hot spot, same $52/month plan for 10GB/month which is still too much for too little IMO. $50 for 50GB/month maybe...
    It all comes down to what you want to do - for me - powering many devices via one LTE hub was a great feature of its own - for some they want the imbedded connectivity of the modem right in the device. I happen to want both, but I'm a special case.

Rogers also makes it super simple to share existing data. I don't have a special data plan for my LTE PlayBook, but instead share the data from my existing smartphone data plan. It basically comes down paying $30 for the data on my 9900, and an extra $2 a month to enable LTE data on my PlayBook.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    08-22-12 03:18 PM
    It all comes down to what you want to do - for me - powering many devices via one LTE hub was a great feature of its own - for some they want the imbedded connectivity of the modem right in the device. I happen to want both, but I'm a special case.

Rogers also makes it super simple to share existing data. I don't have a special data plan for my LTE PlayBook, but instead share the data from my existing smartphone data plan. It basically comes down paying $30 for the data on my 9900, and an extra $2 a month to enable LTE data on my PlayBook.
    Would be nice at times if I didn't have to bring my PlayBook and my Bold for bridging... The other day my Bold was out of juice when my PlayBook had lots but I had no connection. LTE would be faster than 3G bridged I guess...

$349 is just a lot, Samsung Galaxy Tab is $199 with the same plan.
    dusdal and rexrim like this.
    08-22-12 03:32 PM
    I think this Playbook may be designed as much for corporations and governments as anything else.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    08-22-12 04:41 PM
    Why do you say that?
    08-22-12 04:42 PM
    No, I mean portable hotspots...

Here's the one I have:
    https://www.orderrogers.ca/rocket/hotspot/#/overview

No computer needed, no phone, no nothing. Just this device. It's like a mini-router that has internet wherever it goes.

It is free at Bell on a three year term and you can get it with a data package as low as $20/month.
    For $50/month they offered me 10 gigs.
    Last edited by timmy t; 08-22-12 at 04:48 PM.
    08-22-12 04:45 PM
    It is expensive and some organizations like police and ambulance don't want to go around tethering their Playbooks all day so they will not be so concerned with the cost.
    This is not to say that you and I wouldn't want one but I think it is as much to increase its image as a corporate tool.
    08-22-12 04:50 PM
    You really carry that thing in your wallet?
    08-22-12 04:57 PM
    I wouldn't and don't want one.

I was wondering because our enterprise has a specific policy against buying devices with built in 3G/4G/TBD as we prefer to buy WiFi hotspots for employees to use. Many of the mobile workforce employees use both a tablet (iPad) and a laptop. So a WiFi services them (and their mobile phones - 50/50 iPhone/BB) with one device. And when a new one comes along, they can upgrade the WiFi Hotspot without having to upgrade their laptops or iPads.
    08-22-12 04:59 PM
    I have visited several stores approx 30 minutes east of Toronto (driving a car estimated time) and have yet to see a 4g pb in stock. So I would assume none have sold in my area unless they were Web ordered.
    FOr some technology releases, this would be spun as "the demand must be so great that there's no more left in stock"...
    pcguy514 likes this.
    08-22-12 05:08 PM
    Varies by carrier, but here in Canada we can get an LTE hotspot for about $50, you'd then have to get a monthly rate-plan to go along with it. It's a standalone hotspot with nothing but a power switch and a few LEDs. For example I have a little LTE Hotspot that I keep in my wallet, costs about $50 on a 3 year term, then I pay about $30 a month for 500GB of data.
    Sorry to nitpick but you said $30 for 500GB of data. Do you mean for 500MB of data instead? Rogers has never been THAT generous with anything!
    08-22-12 05:28 PM
    I wouldn't and don't want one.

I was wondering because our enterprise has a specific policy against buying devices with built in 3G/4G/TBD as we prefer to buy WiFi hotspots for employees to use. Many of the mobile workforce employees use both a tablet (iPad) and a laptop. So a WiFi services them (and their mobile phones - 50/50 iPhone/BB) with one device. And when a new one comes along, they can upgrade the WiFi Hotspot without having to upgrade their laptops or iPads.
    What post is this in response to. And is there any new technology better than LTE on the horizon as of now?
    08-22-12 06:02 PM
    It is expensive and some organizations like police and ambulance don't want to go around tethering their Playbooks all day so they will not be so concerned with the cost.
    This is not to say that you and I wouldn't want one but I think it is as much to increase its image as a corporate tool.
    I was wondering why you thought it was based towards businesses.
    New technology is ALWAYS around the corner. BB 10, right?
    If you had bought a state of the art iPad with 3G two years ago, your connectivity was made obsolete.

http://www.techiebuff.com/2012/01/23...omes-after-4g/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LTE_Advanced
    Last edited by njblackberry; 08-22-12 at 06:14 PM.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    08-22-12 06:05 PM
    Buy the $150 wifi model and get a $50 lte hotspot. Save your money.
    Where can one get a $50 LTE hotspot?
    08-22-12 07:47 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD