So I have a son who is obsessed with Playbooks (he keeps a good eight of them always charged) and with Duke Nukem.

For whatever inexplicable reason he wants to play the Playbook version of Duke Nukem on his computer and has for a long time. Finally I thought it might be possible to run it in a virtual machine. I downloaded and installed the Playbook simulator, after some trial and error. It launches in VMplayer but, after an interminable load screen, ends up a black screen.

Now, I know this is a real stretch, but anyone out there have a working Playbook simulator running on Windows? And, if so, how'd you do it?
    mulattosoul90 likes this.
    01-20-20 01:27 AM
    My guess is they have a old version of Windows with an old version of VMWare Player.

But from my memory it was an early tool that was very limited in what it could do - could only run a few apps. If you wanted to develop for the PlayBook... you really needed a PlayBook.
    01-20-20 09:32 AM
    What about getting the PC (Abandonware) version of Duke Nukem?
    01-20-20 04:56 PM
    My guess is they have a old version of Windows with an old version of VMWare Player.

But from my memory it was an early tool that was very limited in what it could do - could only run a few apps. If you wanted to develop for the PlayBook... you really needed a PlayBook.
    Well, I did notice that the loading screen doesn't have the lava lamp effect, but just an animated line under "BlackBerry Playbook" , and then to black. So what you're saying is that it's probably not worth getting it to work anyway?
    01-20-20 09:42 PM
    What about getting the PC (Abandonware) version of Duke Nukem?
    Oh, he has plenty of Duke Nukem versions, no worries about that! No, I suppose I need to explain- my son is autistic and will sometimes get fixated, on certain ideas.

What he really wants is to play the Playbook edition - not DOS or Steam or eduke on his touchscreen computer. This is so he can reproduce on his desktop what the Playbook edition of Duke Nukem displays when Duke dies - "Tap to Restart Level".

The thing is all the DOS and Steam games are not touch based, so they write " Press any key..." Why would you tap your monitor?

So that's why I want to run Duke Nukem in a Playbook emulator on a Windows PC.
    01-20-20 09:52 PM
    Never mind, I did it! I realized that the Playbook app was probably just a repackaged android app. Indeed it was, but it been removed from the Playstore years ago. I managed to find an old android apk that actually launched and ran it in an android emulator on his desktop. Mission accomplished!
    brookie229, Bla1ze and Mecca EL like this.
    01-21-20 02:22 AM
    Never mind, I did it! I realized that the Playbook app was probably just a repackaged android app. Indeed it was, but it been removed from the Playstore years ago. I managed to find an old android apk that actually launched and ran it in an android emulator on his desktop. Mission accomplished!
    Your son is lucky to have a father like you- way to go!
    Bla1ze, dmlis, mh1983 and 1 others like this.
    01-21-20 07:56 AM
    Great news and thanks for the earlier explanation. I second brookie's sentiments too.
    01-21-20 07:03 PM
    Plus, love that your son's obsession is Duke Nukem and PB. the kid's got taste!
    01-21-20 07:03 PM
    Plus, love that your son's obsession is Duke Nukem and PB. the kid's got taste!
    He does indeed. And thanks!
    01-21-20 10:42 PM
    Your son is lucky to have a father like you- way to go!
    Thanks!
    01-21-20 10:43 PM