How to extract bar files from playbook? for example I downloaded and installed something, and I want to extract only one bar file.
    04-02-12 03:54 AM
    you have to do a backup of your apps using dm.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    04-02-12 03:56 AM
    you have to do a backup of your apps using dm.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    I did that and ended up with one large file ending in ".bbb" sitting in the "BlackBerry\Backup" folder under My Documents - not sure what to do with this or how to get at the contents. Suggestions?

RCK
    04-02-12 04:18 AM
    same here, I'm interested only in one bar file...
    04-03-12 02:24 PM
    same here, I'm interested only in one bar file...
    And what are you going to do with the single .bar file after you isolate it?
    04-03-12 03:24 PM
    The .bbb file is simply an archive that can be extracted using 7-zip or a similar program. However, inside the .bbb file, you're going to find 1, 2, or 3 .tar files that appear to be encrypted. I'm not really interested in breaking into this file, so I haven't tried. I assume it would be very difficult to break into this file as it will contain the intellectual property of many developers and RIM itself.
    04-03-12 04:26 PM
    i wanted to isolate vevo bar file, and install it on a playbook
    04-08-12 11:48 AM
    Search Google there is a tutorial.
    04-08-12 12:26 PM
    In case you are interested, this is the main reason that major developers have asked RIM to encrypt the DM backup files and remove the ability to sideload apps to the PlayBook.
    offthahorseceo, KermEd and Barljo like this.
    04-08-12 01:09 PM
    Vevo is available in app world for free.
    04-08-12 02:05 PM
    In case you are interested, this is the main reason that major developers have asked RIM to encrypt the DM backup files and remove the ability to sideload apps to the PlayBook.
    So why can't they encrypt and leave sideloading alone?
    04-08-12 02:10 PM
    So why can't they encrypt and leave sideloading alone?
    That's exactly what I expected when I send my emails to RIM - several of them. I was very specific about what I wanted and I did not metion side-loading. I do know that clandestine stores are opening up all over the place featuring converted/signed paid Android apps. This is another potential sources about complaints about lax distribution of SDK (signing) tools and sideloading.

Also on the three sites where I found my app Angry Birds was also featured as well as all of the top selling apps/games in App World. My suspicion that RIM also got complaints specifically about side-loading from some major players.

They may also be getting pressure from corporations who are annoyed with RIM's apparent security lapses. There have been rumours in the development community for some time that RIM was going to take this action - and hopefully enhance App World to handle private distributions and Beta testing. Again, these issues are important to corporations and large publishing houses.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    04-08-12 03:54 PM
    I for one dont care if they ban sideloading if we have the apps available; the main one for me is ES file explorer, its CIFS support is way ahead of anything else in app world.

PS: @Buzz... "Whats up" is a spectacular application

Edit: Why is there only CIFS support from the Android Player?
    Last edited by tinker2000; 04-08-12 at 05:34 PM.
    04-08-12 05:22 PM
    I for one dont care if they ban sideloading if we have the apps available; the main one for me is ES file explorer, its CIFS support is way ahead of anything else in app world.

PS: @Buzz... "Whats up" is a spectacular application

Edit: Why is there only CIFS support from the Android Player?
    Thanks for the compliment. In spite of what people may think, I am not anti-side-loading. I am an IP rights purist so I don't engage in converting Android apps but I do understand why others are tempted to do so. I also understand why some players may be less accepting and I am not surprised by what RIM is planning. At least I can imagine RIM's thinking here.

As for the scarcity of Android developers taking the bait that RIM is dangling in front of them - I don't get it. What more can RIM do to get them onside? Why are they staying away in droves? Does anyone familiar with the Android culture know?
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 04-08-12 at 06:49 PM.
    04-08-12 06:16 PM
    Vevo is available in app world for free.

There is a good number of apps that happen to be NA only...
    TheWozny likes this.
    04-08-12 06:17 PM
    Click to view quoted image

There is a good number of apps that happen to be NA only...
    I don't understand why the OP needs to extract Vevo from a PlayBook and sideload it on another device. If he is helping a friend in an unsupported region, wouldn't using a proxy be much more efficient? There's lots of help available in these forums.
    04-08-12 06:38 PM
    I don't understand why the OP needs to extract Vevo from a PlayBook and sideload it on another device. If he is helping a friend in an unsupported region, wouldn't using a proxy be much more efficient? There's lots of help available in these forums.
    Or just use the browser and go to VEVO: See Music Play, again using a proxy, if necessary. But as to the original question that was posed, I don't think it's possible. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think bar files are analogous to a Windows installation file. You can install a program on a PC from a CD or DVD, but after you do so you can't then extract that installation file from the PC to try to reinstall the program on another PC. You need the original installation file that was on the CD to do that. Out of curiosity, I did a search using Astro file explorer for *.bar on my playbook, and I found only 3 files with a bar extension, and I've probably got about 100 apps installed.
    04-08-12 06:56 PM
    I am under proxy. See my Video Store working?

App World seems imune to "proxying".

EDIT: And it seems some sites are as well... I get http://comingsoon.vevo.com/ When I try pacoman3's link...
    Last edited by diegonei; 04-08-12 at 07:17 PM.
    cuong205a likes this.
    04-08-12 07:12 PM
    Well we seem to be getting off topic, but, what proxy are you using? Others seem to be getting into app world using proxies without much problem. Try going here- IP Address | What Is My IP Address | IP-Adress.com Lookup IP Tools It should tell you where websites think you're located.
    diegonei likes this.
    04-08-12 07:58 PM
    Well we seem to be getting off topic, but, what proxy are you using? Others seem to be getting into app world using proxies without much problem. Try going here- IP Address | What Is My IP Address | IP-Adress.com Lookup IP Tools It should tell you where websites think you're located.
    Got forbidden access from that one... This other site worked thou.

I don't think we're getting offtopic though, as we're exploring one of the possible solutions.
    04-08-12 08:26 PM
    The .bbb file is simply an archive that can be extracted using 7-zip or a similar program. However, inside the .bbb file, you're going to find 1, 2, or 3 .tar files that appear to be encrypted. I'm not really interested in breaking into this file, so I haven't tried. I assume it would be very difficult to break into this file as it will contain the intellectual property of many developers and RIM itself.
    Crap...I was talking out of my a$$. Sorry. The backup files are not encrypted unless you choose for them to be.

You can extract the contents of unencrypted backup files using 7zip and see pretty much everything. I'm surprised at this. It makes stealing an application's art, music, sound, and maybe even the program itself dead simple. I had expected better of RIM.

I'm going to play with breaking the encryption. My fear is that if they use standard pkzip encryption techniques that it will be as easily broken as a password protected zip file.

One thing I'm not sure you can do is re-create a .bar file from this. What may work is editing the backup file to include the Vevo app and then restoring the backup to your friend's PB. But, as has already been mentioned...why not just use a proxy?
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    04-10-12 07:12 AM
    Crap...I was talking out of my a$$. Sorry. The backup files are not encrypted unless you choose for them to be.

You can extract the contents of unencrypted backup files using 7zip and see pretty much everything. I'm surprised at this. It makes stealing an application's art, music, sound, and maybe even the program itself dead simple. I had expected better of RIM.

I'm going to play with breaking the encryption. My fear is that if they use standard pkzip encryption techniques that it will be as easily broken as a password protected zip file.

One thing I'm not sure you can do is re-create a .bar file from this. What may work is editing the backup file to include the Vevo app and then restoring the backup to your friend's PB. But, as has already been mentioned...why not just use a proxy?
    You can indeed recreate a .BAR by extracting apps from a .BBB, but I won't go into detail here (I have not personally done it, but I have read of the procedure). Obviously, this can lead to piracy, which is something I really don't want to encourage.
    04-10-12 10:28 AM
    I see now why developers are making so much noise about sideloading and RIM is making changes. Tying the purchased app to the device that purchased it seems like a good solution to part of the problem, but I do wonder if the .bbb files will still be such an easy avenue for stealing the developers' intellectual property.
    04-10-12 11:10 AM
    I see now why developers are making so much noise about sideloading and RIM is making changes. Tying the purchased app to the device that purchased it seems like a good solution to part of the problem, but I do wonder if the .bbb files will still be such an easy avenue for stealing the developers' intellectual property.
    I read a post on the official BlackBerry forums from a RIM employee that .BBB files would be encrypted from OS 2.0.1 onwards. I'm assuming that means DM will be updated and old versions won't work with the new OS? Or else it could have been an erroneous post...
    04-10-12 11:14 AM
    I have not had to CHANGE device with BB world but I hope they have figured out how to allow one to change an app from one pb to another like you now can do using BBID's. For instance, I've changed my bb phone a few times and have been able to move apps from Tour-to-bold-to-newest-bold. And when I moved from a 32gig to a 64gig and moved apps to the newer pb, assigning a new bbid to the older one.
    04-10-12 04:53 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD