The Playbook has pretty good battery life, I think we can almost all agree to that. However, when i do use it I am usually doing heavy wifi browsing, downloading and screen as bright as can be. I find that when I wake up the next day the Playbook is on its last leg, usually with a quarter battery life to go.
    Since I havent found a thread on the subject I figure an informative post regarding extending battery life is long over due. Please feel free to comment and share your thoughts and ideas.
    I will add any valuable suggestions to this post.

Here is what helps me wake up to a healthy Playbook, ready to take on a second day on one charge.
    - Wifi - Turn it off when not in use. Wifi is a battery drainer and if you are not browsing there is no need to have it on. Takes me no more then 5 seconds to power on my wifi (Network is Saved) and Im sure it does wonders for extending my battery life. Same thing applies for Bluetooth.
    Even if not connected to a network, leaving your Wifi on Might still drain battery as it will still continue to search for open networks. I am not positive on this but it is the case with devices Ive previously owned.
    - Backlight - I would select a brightness you are comfortable with. I find that setting my brightness to about 75% doesnt take away from my experience at all. Also using Auto Backlight Dimming will work wonders, especially at night. With this option selected the Playbook will automatically adjust to the light in the room.
    - Applications - Apps tend to be very demanding, especially movies and flash sites. Go to options > General > Application Behavior and change it to Paused.
    As it says in the description this will Pause your applications until you activate them by selecting them again. So, if you have 4 apps open the only one actually running is the one open in full screen. There is no need to play a movie in a minimized window while doing anything else, lets be serious here. It will still play music in the background so don't worry.
    Be sure to close your apps when done with them, or at least Pause background if you don't want them closed.
    - Power - To me its not at all difficult to turn the Playbook on/off... and i even have a flush power button. If I know I wont be using it for a few hours I power it off completely. Or at least put it to sleep right away, I believe pressing the power button once will do the trick.
    - Video - Approve The User Agreement in the Video Chat as it keep loading and burning battery.
    Feel free to add-on.
    Last edited by FTWrath; 05-12-11 at 08:52 AM.
    hazenjonas and NPFS like this.
    05-12-11 01:19 AM
    Thanks! Great post I was looking for some tips to help with the battery!
    05-12-11 08:16 AM
    You're welcome boss. Glad it was of use.
    05-12-11 08:19 AM
    accept the goddamn video chat agreement .
    jpg likes this.
    05-12-11 08:21 AM
    Did that when I first installed. Ill add it to the list though.
    05-12-11 08:30 AM
    When I surf and I know I don't need Flash, I disable it in the web browser's options. Not only does the web browser become faster but you also optimize battery life.

(RIM should add an "on demand" option for Flash to allow you to hand pick which Flash portion of the web site to run.)
    05-12-11 09:27 AM
    Could also add proper battery charging/maintenance
    techniques to prolong battery life....do this initially...
    1. charge to100%
    2. run down to 5%
    3. charge to 100%
    4. run down to 5%
    5. charge to 100%
    6. good to go...try to avoid letting battery charge drop below 15-20% in future...can top it up at any time from any level.

As a rule of thumb..using the standard charger supplied and everything off as suggested by FTWrath...mine charges about 35% an hour and about 10% an hour on USB..but USB charging times will vary substantially depending upon computer/port. Mine self-discharges at approx 0.3% per hour with everything turned off.
    05-12-11 09:49 AM
    Could also add proper battery charging/maintenance
    techniques to prolong battery life....do this initially...
    1. charge to100%
    2. run down to 5%
    3. charge to 100%
    4. run down to 5%
    5. charge to 100%
    6. good to go...try to avoid letting battery charge drop below 15-20% in future...can top it up at any time from any level.

As a rule of thumb..using the standard charger supplied and everything off as suggested by FTWrath...mine charges about 35% an hour and about 10% an hour on USB..but USB charging times will vary substantially depending upon computer/port. Mine self-discharges at approx 0.3% per hour with everything turned off.
    this is false and not needed really. You might run it to 0 once to make sure the internal reading on the PB is correct but battery conditioning is not needed and its recommended to keep between 30-90% really
    05-12-11 10:36 AM
    accept the goddamn video chat agreement .
    It didn't read... Why won't it read?!?!
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    05-12-11 11:46 AM
    I charge it when i can. Dont worry much about percentage.
    05-12-11 08:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD