The BB10 update?
    01-05-13 04:07 PM
    You mean other than getting new software??
    01-05-13 04:08 PM
    The BB10 update?
    IMO, most new apps will target BB10. This could negatively effect the quantities of new apps coming to the Playbook. Best to have BB10 on the Playbook just to be safe.
    rotorwrench and Sansu94 like this.
    01-05-13 04:15 PM
    The BB10 update?
    In theory:

- Better performance, due to the apps being rewritten for native (Cascades) instead of Adobe AIR
    - A better browser, due to it being re-written for better performance
    - Improved messaging, with the inclusion of BBM and the hub
    - Better apps, due to BlackBerry 10's pull with the larger phone base
    01-05-13 04:34 PM
    Presumably, all apps would work on both BB10 phones and the PlayBook?
    01-05-13 06:01 PM
    not exactly. the screen resolutions are different. still might need phone and tablets apps adjusted to fit each one. but the software will be the same so compatibility will be there if the app will fit the screen
    sputneek likes this.
    01-05-13 06:27 PM
    not exactly. the screen resolutions are different. still might need phone and tablets apps adjusted to fit each one. but the software will be the same so compatibility will be there if the app will fit the screen
    Well that's presumably the same issue you have with scaled up apps on iPhone or iPad; Android phone or tablet I assume? But mostly useable anyway if that's the case.
    sputneek and rotorwrench like this.
    01-05-13 06:32 PM
    How will it not?
    Chaddface, Toodeurep and sputneek like this.
    01-05-13 06:33 PM
    How will it not?

Troll
    01-05-13 06:36 PM
    Well that's presumably the same issue you have with scaled up apps on iPhone or iPad; Android phone or tablet I assume? But mostly useable anyway if that's the case.
    Correct. No different than Apple and Android. Devices with different resolutions and new apps developed for higher resolution.
    sputneek and currygoat like this.
    01-05-13 06:37 PM
    Correct. No different than Apple and Android. Devices with different resolutions and new apps developed for higher resolution.
    Ah good. Thanks.
    01-05-13 06:44 PM
    Troll
    Darn! You are one perceptive dude! LMAO
    01-05-13 06:52 PM
    What about usbotg, dlna,native photo editor native video editor, BBM with video chat, file sharing, screen sharing, The awesome time shift camera will be cool. Native turn by turn navigation...may be time to invest in a car mount if you don't already have one. I assume that the Siri like feature will make it. More versatile docs application. A real file manager. Many many benefits, those were just a few off the top of my head. I'm very excited for the picture and video app. From what I hear it's absolutely AMAZING.
    In theory:

- Better performance, due to the apps being rewritten for native (Cascades) instead of Adobe AIR
    - A better browser, due to it being re-written for better performance
    - Improved messaging, with the inclusion of BBM and the hub
    - Better apps, due to BlackBerry 10's pull with the larger phone base
    01-05-13 08:55 PM
    For RIM to have BB10 on PlayBook will benefit them. For myself and I'm sure there are others who aren't in a desperate need to purchase anymore apps for our PBs but with BB10 on PB, I and those others like myself will be willing to open up our wallets again for more premium paid apps.
    rotorwrench, Sansu94 and Toodeurep like this.
    01-05-13 09:43 PM
    all guessing and wishful thinking Guys
    real BB10 apps for phone and playbook are needed
    we need native apps like for Charles Schwab, citibank, Chase Bank, Skype, netflix, Hulu, MS office simulator
    a real good GPS
    compared with the I pad we live in the boondocks
    01-05-13 10:45 PM
    Troll
    Hi newbie, rotorwrench is not a troll, there's no need for that, heck just read his signature
    01-05-13 11:10 PM
    But here is something interesting. The resolution will be higher on the full touch BB10 phones than the PlayBook. So this will be a rare occasion of the images needing to be scaled down instead of up I do believe. Might become less of a problem than scaling them up. Running an iPhone app on an iPad you are blowing up an app, so won't we be going the other way?

Correct me if I'm wrong here someone...
    01-06-13 12:09 AM
    Any BB10 devs on here? If it uses Qt and QML, resolution independence should be built in because visual widgets are laid out using an anchor system - top, bottom, left and right according to neighbouring widgets and inheriting from parents. Apps should automatically resize their layout according to the device they're running on.
    01-06-13 12:14 AM
    But here is something interesting. The resolution will be higher on the full touch BB10 phones than the PlayBook. So this will be a rare occasion of the images needing to be scaled down instead of up I do believe. Might become less of a problem than scaling them up. Running an iPhone app on an iPad you are blowing up an app, so won't we be going the other way?

Correct me if I'm wrong here someone...
    It will be the same as running an android app originally developed for the lower resolution tablets and running it on the newer higher resolution phones. Same scenario. Most of those have no issues. The same goes for running a new Apple app devd for the iPhone5/iPad3 and running it on an iPad1 or 2.
    01-06-13 12:29 AM
    Hi newbie, rotorwrench is not a troll, there's no need for that, heck just read his signature
    Thanks, but to be fair I believe he misunderstood my response. He was short and to the point though
    kbz1960 and pmccartney like this.
    01-06-13 12:38 AM
    Android is not the same on ios where they have letter boxes and developed for certain resolution.

Do you really think all apps from android have to be repackaged in order to support certain resolution?
    That would be a mess and there are lot of phones to support different resolutions on android.

I think it's automatically supported at whatever resolution
    Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    01-06-13 12:42 AM
    Darn! You are one perceptive dude! LMAO
    Just drop a helicopter engine on 'untakenusername' to adjust his perception and maybe fix his resolution. LOL
    01-06-13 12:55 AM
    Maybe we will have the problem that very few apps are made to take advantage of the PB screen size, just giving us enlarged phone apps.
    This has been a problem with android tablets. The other thing that concerns me is RAM and processor speed. The PB is getting old now and we will probably start seeing apps that need more power and I wonder how the everything always on concept will affect things.
    I think I will take a wait and see approach before upgrading.
    01-06-13 01:09 AM
    Somewhat tongue and cheek, there are some of us hoping that BB10 actually allows the Playbook to live up to what we all thought it would be - a polished and robust device that is professional and leap-frogs the competition in terms of performance, versatility, and security. Now if it would only come in 30 days, we would all be happy. LOL

Cynicism aside, BB10 should provide the Playbook with much more versatile, stable, and robust applications from developers and RIM itself. For example, the possibility of a better Web browser, a better App World store front, a true BBM app, and BlackBerry Protect, to name a few. There's a possibility, if rumors are to be believed, of an actual Adobe Reader application that works well - the current one is embarrassing. Memory management, according to some developers, is more efficient under BB10 than PBOS. And BB10 does something else as well, something that is currently lacking on the PB - excitement on the part of developers. I'm hoping that this excitement will help encourage developers to actually want to develop apps for the Playbook. In short, I think and I hope BB10 will rejuvenate the Playbook.
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    01-06-13 01:26 AM
    Thanks, but to be fair I believe he misunderstood my response. He was short and to the point though
    Can I be the troll?
    As far as BB10 being beneficial ask yourself could it get much worse from the original promise to those who bought this thing when it first came out with all the promises that it was the best thing ever only to watch istuff get better apps or for me to write one very long run on sentence.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    01-06-13 06:32 AM
68 123