I don't know if this was posted before. A quick search in the forum came with many results but most of them (if not all) were referring to sideloaded apps. The method I describe below requires that you use Linux (ubuntu 12.04 in my case) and the installation of a software (in your pc) that will do the job for you and it's called "movgrab". No conversion software or apps in you PB is required.

In terminal type:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install movgrab

After installation run: movgrab -T example_url
    The above will show you the formats that the video you are interested in downloading is available for. We need the mp4:480x360 (most of youtube videos have mp4 format available).

CTRL+C

and run: movgrab -f mp4:480x360 example_url

and that's all. You can transfer it now in your PB. You can download from a number of sites (not only youtube).

E.g.
    YouTube, Metacafe, Dailymotion, Vimeo, Break.com, eHow, 5min.com, vbox7, lip.tv, Ted, MyVideo, ClipShack, MyTopClip, RedBalcony, Mobando, Yale University, Princeton University, Reuters, LiveLeak, Academic Earth, Photobucket, VideoEmo, VideosFacebook, Aljazeera, Mefeedia, IViewTube, Washington Post, CBS News, Euro News, MetaTube, MotionFeeds, Escapist, Guardian, RedOrbit, Sciive, Izlese, uctv.tv, royalsociety.tv, British Academy, Kitp, Dotsub, Astronomy.com, Teachertube.com, Discovery, Bloomberg.com
    09-17-12 05:46 PM
    I haven't used Ubuntu for awhile, but I do believe that it uses Firefox as its browser. There are a number of plug ins available for Firefox that will allow you to download YouTube vids. The best of these is probably Easy YouTube Video Downloader. Whether its available for Ubuntu's Firefox, I don't know. But if it is, it may be easier than the method you described.
    09-17-12 06:07 PM
    I haven't used Ubuntu for awhile, but I do believe that it uses Firefox as its browser. There are a number of plug ins available for Firefox that will allow you to download YouTube vids. The best of these is probably Easy YouTube Video Downloader. Whether its available for Ubuntu's Firefox, I don't know. But if it is, it may be easier than the method you described.
    You are absolutely right. There is also the popular add-on Video download helper. However, I personally prefer to keep my browser as add-on free as possible for loading speed reasons but most importantly it's just the excitement of doing things through a terminal.
    09-17-12 06:33 PM
    You can download direct to your PlayBook. I know of 2 web pages-

Free Online YouTube to MP3, MP4, 3GP and AVI (DivX) Converter

YouTube Video Download als MP3 kostenlos und einfach | FILSH.net

There is a lot of ads, but it works for YouTube, never tried any other sites.
    09-17-12 10:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD