Basic commission sales.... sell what make you the most money.... has little to do with what is best... that is the theme of all these posts..... why people pay any attention to it is beyond me..... it is obvious that RIM did a lot of things wrong and are paying the price for it now.... but how does retreading history help anything???? find it interesting how these posts invaritably decend into a "p#ssing contest" on what is better... there is no better... just what fits your needs.... I for one have no problem with the number of available apps on the Playbook.... see hundreds of thousand avialble for my IPad... have not downloaded an app for my Ipad since i bought my Playbook.... does that make the Playbook better..... no... just my taste in apps is limited....
    08-18-12 10:31 PM
    Re: How does RIM overcome this crap?

RIM will not, or cannot... as other had just said, the sales person doesn't need to go with what is the best, but rather on what is selling well... it is purely a commissioning thing or sale performances target... please stop blaming others for RIM poor performances... if we will be on the same shoes and we want to meet our "quota", we will probably do the same thing - just to meet our sales target and bring foods to our dining table... that is actually "professionalism", if you can somehow separate your "own views" with what your company is targeting...
    08-18-12 10:59 PM
    I keep hearing this "blah ... blah ... The PlayBook is a failure because of sales..."

Well, it did a helluva lot better sales-wise than just about every Android tablet out there. What I don't hear is anyone bashing all those other Android tablets because of -poor sales or calling them a "disaster" or "total failure".

The PlayBook is a great product. Good specs (even more than a year after it's release), a fantastic user-interface (which is unmatched), and an OS that is at least a generation ahead of the competition.

This meme needs to die.
    jon3578 likes this.
    08-19-12 05:11 AM
    Sorry, man...I have to disagree...clearly these guys didn't know HOW to use the PB.

I have streamed movies (many formats) from my home server, controlled presentations through the Bridge remote control function, played games, surfed the internet, controlled my email, opened, created, and shared documents, media files, spreadsheets, and many, many other everyday operations.

Your partners are either ignorant, incompetent, or simply iSheep.

I know what the iPad, the Android tabs, and the PB can do, because I have played with all three (and own two), so that particular argument falls by the river....and disappears quickly.

Sorry....but that's the way it is.

No offense.

Easy, make a product that provides plenty of use and enjoyment.

At our firm all our partners were given a Playbook. Barely anyone uses them. They're mostly sitting in their drawers or returned back into the hardware pool. The reason they give... can't do much with it.

A friend (who owns a Playbook) last week won an iPad 3. He was thinking of just selling it as he's not a fan of Apple at all - but decided to keep it for his young son to use as his school uses them for some educational apps.

So he decided to play with it and see what he could do. He wanted to stream movies from his server share... and was able to do it without spending any money. He knew some of the movies would have issues - AC3 audio, .mkv formats and some with external subtitles files... so he went and downloaded a free app and it played all of them without any problems.
    He was also able to use some promotional code he had for a bunch of different magazines that weren't available for the Playbook, and he's reading them.
    He was also able to control his AV receiver with an iPad app. Then he just went on a spree and downloaded so many different apps for himself, his wife and some educational and pure entertainment games for his son.
    The iPad is getting a lot of use from him and his family. They were extremely impressed with all the things you can do - for work or for fun... and they didn't pay a dime for these apps.

He's still not a fan of Apple, but he said straight out "I have to give Apple credit... the stuff just works... and you can do so much with it - unlike the Playbook.". He admitted that he never got a lot of use out of the Playbook because of the lack of apps and limitations of the apps that were available.

The Playbook really is limited in it's use... and THAT's why people bash it.
    08-19-12 05:15 AM
    You're wrong...I have several formats of movies on my home server, including MKV, and both PB units I have will play them. As for the AC3, it's an audio format, and it may need conversion, but otherwise, the PB streams just fine.

I have had no problems streaming compatible movies from my home server with one of two apps....the ported ES File Explorer (Android app), or the Lan File Explorer app from App world.

People simply need to try stuff out, and see that it does work.

Cheers,
    Costa

Now the part with streaming media I found impressive, particularly when it wouldn't play AC3 and MKV and he just had to download an app to make that work. Not that I am interested to watch movies on my PB, but that is nice especially that the PB will NOT do AC3 or will stream any video from a server.

There is no shame in admitting that stuff like that should be that simple on a PB as well. The hardware surely can pull it off.
    08-19-12 05:20 AM
    Really? Does it? My tenant has an iPad and can use my wifi, but can't see my server or any other computer on my network.

Both my PB's have full access to the network, and can stream movies and media from my server. The iPad can't.

That's not an app issue...the eco-system simply doesn't allow for it.

The iPad does everything and does it all very simply.
    08-19-12 05:25 AM
    Really? Does it? My tenant has an iPad and can use my wifi, but can't see my server or any other computer on my network.

Both my PB's have full access to the network, and can stream movies and media from my server. The iPad can't.

That's not an ecosystem problem, that's your server setup.
    08-19-12 06:42 AM
    I think a lot of people tolerate a lot of problems with their ipads. "They just work" No they don't. I had an Ipad2 and gave it away. Why? Let's see. It had a Medical program on it and every second time I used it it locked up and had to be re-started. Sorry but I really do not have time for that. Browsing the web just caused endless frustration with out having flash...and no scribd documents. Oh you can get an app for that...that is riddled with ads. I just got so frustrated with the thing I gave it away...and I really really did try to use it.
    elphie28 likes this.
    08-19-12 08:25 AM
    I keep hearing this "blah ... blah ... The PlayBook is a failure because of sales..."

Well, it did a helluva lot better sales-wise than just about every Android tablet out there. What I don't hear is anyone bashing all those other Android tablets because of -poor sales or calling them a "disaster" or "total failure".

The PlayBook is a great product. Good specs (even more than a year after it's release), a fantastic user-interface (which is unmatched), and an OS that is at least a generation ahead of the competition.

This meme needs to die.
    Depends on your perspective. Which tablet hurt their parent company more?

Samsung has not been heating it up in tablet sales, but they sure don't have to sell them off at a loss, either.
    08-19-12 08:31 AM
    I think a lot of people tolerate a lot of problems with their ipads. "They just work" No they don't. I had an Ipad2 and gave it away. Why? Let's see. It had a Medical program on it and every second time I used it it locked up and had to be re-started. Sorry but I really do not have time for that. Browsing the web just caused endless frustration with out having flash...and no scribd documents. Oh you can get an app for that...that is riddled with ads. I just got so frustrated with the thing I gave it away...and I really really did try to use it.
    That's very generous of you to give something away that you could flip instantly if you priced it right.

While I agree that an iPad doesn't meet everyone's needs, you should probably have done your research. The iPad has never had flash, so if you were expecting to be able to use it, that was your mistake. In the same vein, if a medical application is constantly crashing the device, it's the fault of the app, and the reviews would reflect it. Research is your best friend. I think that's what the whole motto of this thread should be.
    reeneebob likes this.
    08-19-12 08:47 AM
    That's very generous of you to give something away that you could flip instantly if you priced it right.

While I agree that an iPad doesn't meet everyone's needs, you should probably have done your research. The iPad has never had flash, so if you were expecting to be able to use it, that was your mistake. In the same vein, if a medical application is constantly crashing the device, it's the fault of the app, and the reviews would reflect it. Research is your best friend. I think that's what the whole motto of this thread should be.
    What you said.

It doesn't matter what tech it is. If one loads an app onto it and it starts crashing, it's the coding of the app, not the device. That rule applies here regarding all tech that is a BB but if it's not, it's clearly the hardware.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    08-19-12 09:43 AM
    I do say that I have never seen so many people "give away" iPads out of pure disgust as I do hereabouts.

If anyone is so mad that they want to give away a disgusting iPad, I hereby put myself out there as a recipient. Thank you.
    reeneebob and sectime like this.
    08-19-12 09:48 AM
    Depends on your perspective. Which tablet hurt their parent company more?

Samsung has not been heating it up in tablet sales, but they sure don't have to sell them off at a loss, either.
    That may change with the Samsung Galaxy note 10.1 - it is a very different offering than the ipad 3 so things may get interesting. In addition the Nexus 7/kindle fire has put pressure on apple, we may see a 7" ipad in September. If nothing else android does put pressure on Apple and vice-versa. I just don't think the PB does.
    08-19-12 09:49 AM
    I keep hearing about these sales rep saying "no, don't buy product x" and "go buy product y". Luckily I haven't met these sales rep yet (but then I usually know exactly what I want when I enter a store) but I really dislike how these people are pushing their ideas onto their customers. Instead of saying, 'don't buy this' why not ask the customers what they are looking for/ what they are wanting and make suggestions (emphasis on the word "suggest") with pros and cons facts to help.

I also suggest the customers should ask "How do you know it's bad? Do you own one?"
    08-19-12 10:33 AM
    I keep hearing about these sales rep saying "no, don't buy product x" and "go buy product y". Luckily I haven't met these sales rep yet (but then I usually know exactly what I want when I enter a store) but I really dislike how these people are pushing their ideas onto their customers. Instead of saying, 'don't buy this' why not ask the customers what they are looking for/ what they are wanting and make suggestions (emphasis on the word "suggest") with pros and cons facts to help.

I also suggest the customers should ask "How do you know it's bad? Do you own one?"
    I agree with you, last year my hubby and I drove through the states. When we were in Orlando, Florida I spent most of the day looking for a 62 gig Playbook. I went to many bestbuy stores and to know avail.All of the employees that I dealt with were polite and helpfull and they didn't tell me to not buy the playbook. But then again I walked into all of the stores knowing I wanted a playbook and nothing else, lol.
    08-19-12 11:30 AM
    I am happy to say I personally swayed 3-4 people to buy a Playbook and proud of it!!

Go RIM Go!!

Everyone has to take their Playbooks in public and use them! Show them off!

People are impressed! I use it during presentations (with bridge to my phone as remote) and I make sure my audience knows!

And when they find out the price they are even more impressed!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    08-19-12 12:57 PM
    I am happy to say I personally swayed 3-4 people to buy a Playbook and proud of it!!
    That's wrong. You need to find out which product would make them happy, not "sway" them to the device you are using. Why would you do that?

08-19-12 01:45 PM
    The iPad does everything and does it all very simply.

Untrue. The iPad can access network folders. Oddly enough, the Playbook had a lot of trouble doing that very thing until the Android player came along.
    08-19-12 02:25 PM
    @Costas1966 - what are you using to stream video on a NAS? I have been searching for same and can't find one I like. Would appreciate the one you are using that works so well, it's one of my frustrations with the PB.
    08-19-12 03:02 PM
    Your partners are either ignorant, incompetent, or simply iSheep.
    When are you going to move away from calling others 'incompetent' or 'ignorant' because they are less savvy tech wise than yourself?

What exactly is 'incompetent'? You sure 'Playbook competence' is part of their job description?
    08-19-12 03:17 PM
    In the end sales people will sell whats best for them or what their employer tells them to push. You cant control that, so do your own research and buy with limited input from sales person. Sadly playbook is a flop for a reason, Rim pushed out a crappy product that only now is better. However, in this time frame alot of android tablets caught up. In the end, buy what you like and let others get what they want. Stop loosing sleep or start posting about it. Things wont change. Everyone has their own tastes. As unbiased as we wish sales people to be, that is not the case. They are closer to some brands then others like the rest of us. No need to be calling them out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    08-19-12 04:05 PM
    To answer regarding the comment regarding that I "sway" people towards the Playbook...

I agree, I do find out what they need. After thorough questioning as to what they intend to do with their device, what they would like to do, and so on, I find that 99% of the time the Playbook would more than suite their needs, and save them hundreds of dollars.

The few that asked me they need Skype to call their friend in timbuktwo... I have recommended the iPad or another Android tablet!

So when I meant "sway" it was with a knowledge of the person's computer tech level, functional current needs and future "growth" needs, and knowing that technology in tablets is moving so fast, offering them an option like the Playbook which would more than meet their needs for the foreseeable future and save then a boat-load of money!

I would ask the same of store employees who often OVER-SELL people devices that cost way more so they get higher profit margins and commissions. Do they ASK and offer a balanced view of tablets!?

NO! They point to iPad and all the rest get crap treatment, especially Blackberry these days.

08-19-12 04:11 PM
    I was actually joking...

But... you did what everyone does. You encouraged people to get a device you are happy with it. I believe word of mouth moves more units for corporations than formal ads do.

I believe that word of mouth is what helped RIM chew up market share way back when, and it is helping Apple now. People are satisfied with their products, and they tell family and friends.

Samuel L jackson chatting with Siri does less to effect a sale than a happy brother/sister/father/friend/co-worker etc.
    08-19-12 04:17 PM
    In the end sales people will sell whats best for them or what their employer tells them to push. You cant control that, so do your own research and buy with limited input from sales person. Sadly playbook is a flop for a reason, Rim pushed out a crappy product that only now is better. However, in this time frame alot of android tablets caught up. In the end, buy what you like and let others get what they want. Stop loosing sleep or start posting about it. Things wont change. Everyone has their own tastes. As unbiased as we wish sales people to be, that is not the case. They are closer to some brands then others like the rest of us. No need to be calling them out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    As a salesperson, I sell what will best meet their needs and means the next time I see them is because they are buying something else because they appreciated my service, not that I am seeing them because they are irate that I sold them the wrong thing for them.

Please don't presume to speak for all.

Sent from mah brainzzzzz via Galaxy S III and Tapatalk 2
    08-19-12 04:30 PM
    To answer regarding the comment regarding that I "sway" people towards the Playbook...

I agree, I do find out what they need. After thorough questioning as to what they intend to do with their device, what they would like to do, and so on, I find that 99% of the time the Playbook would more than suite their needs, and save them hundreds of dollars.

The few that asked me they need Skype to call their friend in timbuktwo... I have recommended the iPad or another Android tablet!

So when I meant "sway" it was with a knowledge of the person's computer tech level, functional current needs and future "growth" needs, and knowing that technology in tablets is moving so fast, offering them an option like the Playbook which would more than meet their needs for the foreseeable future and save then a boat-load of money!

I would ask the same of store employees who often OVER-SELL people devices that cost way more so they get higher profit margins and commissions. Do they ASK and offer a balanced view of tablets!?

NO! They point to iPad and all the rest get crap treatment, especially Blackberry these days.

I'm assuming you work retail since you're steering people towards various tablets. But I'm also guessing you've never worked on commission (or sales based rewards) in an electronics store. You would be singing a different tune I think. If you do work on commission, then you sir, are a saint.
    08-19-12 04:35 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD