Let's try to bring this thread back on topic.

Here's my unbiased comparison of the various task switching UIs.

Recent apps launch: Of all three I prefer PB's bezel swipe up. Android's recent apps button is just as fast, however in the GSIII you long-press the home button and this takes about 1 second. Not sure if there is a setting to shorten the long-press duration. iOS home double-click or 4 finger swipe is not intuitive but it also does the job.

Customization: Android wins here hands down. There are a plethora of apps like Dock4Droid, I can obtain the bezel swipe capability. In my video I posted you can see me use it for task launching and task switching. There is no lag and it is customizable with recent apps and commonly used apps. Think of the MacOS dock bar.

Recent apps chooser: I find Android most efficient because you can see at least 4 recent app thumbnails. On the PB you see one full and 2 half-thumbnails. This results in a lot more scrolling. I wish this were customizable. The active thumbnails are cool, but doesn't add anything to workflow efficiency. On iOS, you see eight icons. Usability wise, it takes a bit longer to choose from thumbnails than from screen previous.

Going to next app and previous app. I like the PB bezel swipe the best. On iPad you can do the same with 4-finger swipe and you can use it to peek into the next app. Android doesn't have anything equivalent, you have to use the recent apps functionality (or third party apps)

Dedicated back button. Android is the only one that has this. This is as indispensable as the escape key. It is used not just for popping back out to the previous app, but also within apps. The user only has to remember the one button. On the other OSes, the back button has to be implemented by the developer. Sometimes it is on top of the screen, sometimes on the bottom, and you have to spend cycles looking for it. Having it in one consistent place for all apps is a big deal for usability.

App integration. Android wins this hands down. You can "Share" content to any app that supports it. I could be in the File Explorer, the browser, the gallery and send the content to email, dropbox, or twitter. I could be in a newsreader, the browser, or a magazine app and send it to a task list, an offline reader, or make a QR code. This is one of the most powerful differentiators of Android and to the end user, it means a consistent, easy way of sharing data across apps.

App Launching. Android no contest. I'm not sure which is better, PB or iPad. Both have the dock. Both have the swipe-swipe-swipe-swipe method of hunting down apps.
    10-16-12 12:26 PM
    Wow. These are some truly lame examples of multitasking. Perhaps a majority of users don't actually need to multitask as part of their daily workloads - e.g. they're more into "serial" multitasking, which is really just app switching. By contrast, knowledge workers (like myself) often need to juggle multiple, concurrent workflow processes in order to complete the task at hand.

For example, as a professional journalist, I'm often writing, researching and communicating all at the same time. So my typical workload might look like this:

1. Open newsreader app (gReader Pro - Android) to look for story ideas.
    2. Open web browser (Android) to further research a story. Perhaps switch to the native browser if Android chokes on link (common).
    3. Open forums app (TapaTalk - Android) to see what others are saying about the story.
    4. Open music player (native) because I'm settling in for an extended writing session and need some Def Leppard.
    5. Open word processor (Docs to Go - native) and start sketching outlines of new story idea.
    6. Switch back to newsreader to confirm a quote.
    7. Switch back to browser to check another source/site.
    8. Open podcast app (native) to follow up on link I found in the forums app (pausing music player)
    9. Respond to incoming email that includes link to interesting clip related to story.
    10. Open torrents app (Swarm - Android) since the link is to a torrent containing the full clip and start download.
    11. Switch back to forums app to post initial ideas for article/solicit feedback.
    12. Open Twitter app (Official App - Android) and post tweet soliciting input on the article idea.
    13. Switch back to podcast app and pause streaming.
    14. Switch back to music player and resume playback exactly where I left off.
    15. Switch back to email app and start composing email to editor about article idea.
    16. While in email app, respond to another note from colleague using a separate message tab.
    17. Switch back to newsreader app and refresh story list to see if any new developments.
    18. Open Youtube app (native) to follow-up on clip from new newsreader story.
    19. Switch back to word processor to continue fleshing out story.
    20. Open Calendar app (native) to propose a meeting for that afternoon to discuss potential fall-out from story.
    21. Switch back to email app to check incoming mail with attachment (PDF).
    22. Open PDF in Adobe Reader (native) or RepliGo (Android), depending on its length/complexity.
    23. Switch back to podcast app and resume streaming (pause music playback first).
    24. More writing in word processor app - thankfully, I have an external BT keyboard/mouse for this stuff.
    25. Another email - this time from editor. Open a new email tab to fire-off note to contact at company in story for quote.
    26. Switch back to forums app to check for responses. Reply to new thread on topic and also follow link to related story.
    27. Another podcast/music player switch out.
    28. Switch back to Twitter app to check for responses. Reply to several comments.
    29. Switch back to calendar app to confirm meeting time, etc.
    30. Back to word processor - more writing.

Note: All of the above took place before 10:00AM. This is a true and PRACTICAL example of multitasking in action and involves a mixture of 10 native and Android apps all running concurrently. It's a workload that will bury most Android tabs and (I'm assuming) iOS. Trust me, I've tried to replicate it with my heavily tweaked/optimized Acer Iconia Tab A200 running ICS. Not only was it impossible to keep track of all those apps using Android's crude "recent apps" list, half the time the app I was switching back to had been closed in the background by the OS, forcing a complete reload and (often) a loss of context/state/where the heck I was when I first switched away.

Absolutely maddening, as was the general sluggishness and instability that would set-in with Android after an hour or so of jumping between apps. By contrast, my PB remained silky smooth throughout. So if you don't get why some professionals prefer the PB over devices based on Android or iOS, chances are you're simply not demanding enough - in terms of your daily workload - to notice the difference. For those of us who need to get stuff done, efficiently and on a deadline, QNX is simply the better tool.

RCK
    pretty sure you can do that with most tablets now a day, even phones. You are basically switching back and forth between couple of apps.

on another note, im not sure what you are trying to accomplish by making such a long list. try to make it seems like a lot of things going on? because all i see is repeated apps over and over. Also, if you were to do research and all that, why wouldn't you use a computer? you enjoy switching between screen with your playbook and typing with your playbook instead of a keyboard? sounds like you need a laptop and not a playbook, unless you enjoy not being efficient. Also, i don't know which professionals prefer PB over iOS or Android. I have yet seen anyone rave about playbook helping their productivity. You want to do real work, you go on your computer. Don't make it seems like playbook is a professional tool because you switched between a couple of apps. People do real work on their computer.

Unless the playbook can have 6 apps in their screen at once, "true" multitask or not is irreverent. you want "true" multitask you use a computer.
    10-16-12 01:17 PM
    Interesting. This is one of the big drawbacks of using the iPad for work. I would use Splashtop remote desktop, then switch out to another app, but when I back to Splashtop, it had already dropped the connection and I have to login again to resume the session.

Does PocketCloud solve this issue?
    Pocketcloud actually uses RDP, so it's a bit different than Splashtop, but the concept is the same. I'm not sure how Pocketcloud handles it exactly, but I can swipe away from my remote session into any other app, and back again without ever losing the session. I can even leave it sitting in the background for a while (have left it for over 30 minutes before) and just jump right back into my desktop without having the reconnect.

@mikeo007, @xsacha

I have no experience in mobile app development, but am curious to understand one thing.

So lets say when my app goes to background, I want to do some calculation like

n=0;
    while( n<10000 )
    {
    //do some calculation which may take time
    }

So what happens in this scenario on IOS and Android?

On Windows (PC), when the App goes in background, the process will still be scheduled, and can do the said calculation, and may be ready with the result(assuming it was in background for sufficient time ), when it comes back to screen.

AFAIK this is not the case with iOS; or does it?
    I can't speak for android, but you could accomplish this on iOS by wrapping the code in the background task handlers. If your code is modular enough, you should be able to wrap pretty much everything in these handlers. The system basically agrees to complete whatever code is within the handlers within a reasonable length of time (no infinite loops or long waits). The only stipulation is that the process must be started while the app is in the foreground (I believe you can call another backgrounded routine from within your current one though). The developer chooses the scheduling priority by providing an expiration time (how much time can pass before the system executes the code). After the code is finished executing, assuming there are no other background tasks running, the application is put to sleep. If the user switches back to the application before it gets bumped out of memory, the transition is seamless. If the app is bumped out, the state can be saved (developer choice) and will reappear in the exact state the user left it.
    notfanboy likes this.
    10-16-12 01:43 PM
    Got fed up with all of the doubts and accusations, so I made the video (or at least a poor attempt at one - I'm no A/V genius).

It took forever to upload, and I had to split it into two parts (camera died after 10 mins or so), but here it is:

Part 1:

Part 2:

See Next Message

And yes, I successfully retraced all 30 steps of my original script. Was actually kind of fun - watching the Playbook handle 10 concurrent applications in stride. I especially enjoyed the app countdown at the end.

Anyway, enjoy!

RCK
    10-16-12 02:55 PM
    Note: See Part 1 in Previous Post.

Part 2:

RCK
    Last edited by rkennedy01; 10-16-12 at 03:19 PM.
    notfanboy likes this.
    10-16-12 02:56 PM
    Got fed up with all of the doubts and accusations, so I made the video (or at least a poor attempt at one - I'm no A/V genius).

It took forever to upload, and I had to split it into two parts (camera died after 10 mins or so), but here it is:

Part 1:

Part 2:

See Next Message

And yes, I successfully retraced all 30 steps of my original script. Was actually kind of fun - watching the Playbook handle 10 concurrent applications in stride. I especially enjoyed the app countdown at the end.

Anyway, enjoy!

RCK
    don't think anyone doubted or accused you of not being able to do that, ppl just said other OS can do it also..

i don't know why people would have doubt. it is not really that impressive.... i actually just used my old samsung galaxy 2 to mess around to see if i can open 10 apps and go back and forth, and guess what? i can...

newer phone with more RAM and faster processor can surely handle it too....

none of the app you open seems to be memory intensive apps too. I want you to open up 15 tabs on your browser, with like 5 games and youtube running. i want to see how PB will handle that.
    10-16-12 03:37 PM
    Note: See Part 1 in Previous Post.

Part 2:
    @rck nice demo just confirming what most have said including youself all along the pb is a multitasking giant.
    You are a intelligent articulate guy I never doubted that and I appreciate your intelligence I just wish some of the personal comments got left out.
    Anyone who likes boston can't be a bad guy lol thanks again for the video and again done sans bbx so if that in itself is not a great reason to pick up a pb then I don't know what is and its a great advertisement for the playbook multitasking prowess period.

RCK
    10-16-12 03:38 PM
    don't think anyone doubted or accused you of not being able to do that, ppl just said other OS can do it also..

i don't know why people would have doubt. it is not really that impressive.... i actually just used my old samsung galaxy 2 to mess around to see if i can open 10 apps and go back and forth, and guess what? i can...

newer phone with more RAM and faster processor can surely handle it too....

none of the app you open seems to be memory intensive apps too. I want you to open up 15 tabs on your browser, with like 5 games and youtube running. i want to see how PB will handle that.
    Actually, "notafanboy" specifically accused me of dodging the video issue because I supposedly knew it couldn't be done on the Playbook (re-read his most recent posts on the subject). The fact is, it took nearly two hours to upload this short little pair of clips. Yet I felt it important to set the record straight and (hopefully) silence some of the naysayers. But as your ridiculous request for yet another unrealistic scenario (15 browser tabs? 5 games? and Youtube? Seriously?) shows, I've clearly failed on that account.

Anyway, I was told to put up or shut up, so I put up. Those who appreciate what I've done - and the difficulty of accomplishing such a task given my geographic isolation and limited connectivity - can at least take solace in knowing that their own conclusions about the PB's multitasking prowess have once again been confirmed.

Bottom Line: This nearly two year old device absolutely rocks, and anyone who chose the PB over an Android tablet should feel very good right about now.

I know I do...

RCK
    10-16-12 04:19 PM
    @rck nice demo just confirming what most have said including youself all along the pb is a multitasking giant.
    You are a intelligent articulate guy I never doubted that and I appreciate your intelligence I just wish some of the personal comments got left out.
    Anyone who likes boston can't be a bad guy lol thanks again for the video and again done sans bbx so if that in itself is not a great reason to pick up a pb then I don't know what is and its a great advertisement for the playbook multitasking prowess period.
    I never intended for it to get personal. But when someone deliberately portrays you as a liar and a coward because you're unwilling to engage in a ridiculous wager, it's hard not to get defensive. I spoke the truth about my experiences with the Playbook, and now I've backed them up with a visual record. However, I doubt this will satisfy my detractors and I fully expect the name calling and the reputation smearing to continue regardless of what evidence I post to repudiate such baseless claims.

RCK
    10-16-12 04:25 PM
    Actually, "notafanboy" specifically accused me of dodging the video issue because I supposedly knew it couldn't be done on the Playbook (re-read his most recent posts on the subject). The fact is, it took nearly two hours to upload this short little pair of clips. Yet I felt it important to set the record straight and (hopefully) silence some of the naysayers. But as your ridiculous request for yet another unrealistic scenario (15 browser tabs? 5 games? and Youtube? Seriously?) shows, I've clearly failed on that account.

Anyway, I was told to put up or shut up, so I put up. Those who appreciate what I've done - and the difficulty of accomplishing such a task given my geographic isolation and limited connectivity - can at least take solace in knowing that their own conclusions about the PB's multitasking prowess have once again been confirmed.

Bottom Line: This nearly two year old device absolutely rocks, and anyone who chose the PB over an Android tablet should feel very good right about now.

I know I do...

RCK
    actually it was a ridiculous request. i didn't actually expected you to do it. it was just to point out what you were doing was using very little memory and other device can handle it too. sorry if you misunderstood me.

yes, its good that you found PB useful, no one is telling you no. Just wanted to point out your "true" multitask, at least for your situation is not unique. I can surely do with android now.

We are living in the present now, not 2 years ago. i don't know why you brought up that PB is 2 years old. What does that prove? It was well ahead during its time? does it really matter now? how many new and stronger device came out? its totally irreverent in today's decision. don't know what is there to feel good about...
    10-16-12 04:57 PM
    Anyway, I was told to put up or shut up, so I put up. Those who appreciate what I've done - and the difficulty of accomplishing such a task given my geographic isolation and limited connectivity
    First of all, thank you for putting up. Sure it took a lot of cajoling, but sincerely, thanks!

I don't understand what the "difficulty" is here? It takes the same amount of effort for everyone. Locate the video file, hit the upload button, and go do something else. Did you have to babysit the upload, manually squeeze out the data through the fiber optic cables? IDGI.

Some comments about the video itself. Interesting how you cleared out the dock and left only the ten apps needed for the scenario. I guessed you would do this, to minimize the effort of locating the apps in a mass of icons. Also just out of curiosity: couldn't you launch the PDF reader directly from the email client?

I see you're still sticking to your story about the long term instability of Android. I curious why you needed to reboot your PB prior to the test. My SGIII has not been rebooted for weeks, hard to prove I know, but you'll notice that I already had multiple tabs open in the browser when I started. And guess what, that Word document I was editing when I did my video two days ago? I still haven't saved it, it's still in the same spot waiting for me to continue editing.

- can at least take solace in knowing that their own conclusions about the PB's multitasking prowess have once again been confirmed.

I know I do...
    For someone feeling good about your choice, you put a lot of effort into dissing Android, like you need to keep reassuring yourself.

Oh here's the screenshot of the word doc in Office pro, note the timestamp.

esk369 likes this.
    10-16-12 06:42 PM
    First of all, thank you for putting up. Sure it took a lot of cajoling, but sincerely, thanks!
    Cajoling? You mean insults and innuendo? Agreed. It took quite a bit of nastiness on your part to force a response. But as I've taught my Tae Kwon Do (Chung Do Kwan) students, sometimes you have no choice but to put the bully down...

I don't understand what the "difficulty" is here? It takes the same amount of effort for everyone. Locate the video file, hit the upload button, and go do something else. Did you have to babysit the upload, manually squeeze out the data through the fiber optic cables? IDGI.
    You've never lived in the third world, have you? It took 11 tries to get the upload to go through - welcome to "paradise."

Some comments about the video itself. Interesting how you cleared out the dock and left only the ten apps needed for the scenario. I guessed you would do this, to minimize the effort of locating the apps in a mass of icons. Also just out of curiosity: couldn't you launch the PDF reader directly from the email client?
    Seriously? You lost the challenge about the PB being capable of pulling off the workload as described, so now you switch to questioning the icon placement? It was a demo. Of course I placed the icons where they would be convenient to me. Frankly, my "regular" PB layout is far more organized - but since the debate was about the capacity of the PB and not the efficiency of the UI design, your question is moot.

As for the file association between PDF and viewer app, I certainly could have used the native PB version of Adobe Reader and launched it directly from the email. However, I prefer to use RepliGo (more reliable, more compatible) even if it means an extra step or two to load an attachment. Because, as I mentioned in the video, I like Android apps, just not Android itself.

I see you're still sticking to your story about the long term instability of Android. I curious why you needed to reboot your PB prior to the test. My SGIII has not been rebooted for weeks, hard to prove I know, but you'll notice that I already had multiple tabs open in the browser when I started. And guess what, that Word document I was editing when I did my video two days ago? I still haven't saved it, it's still in the same spot waiting for me to continue editing.
    For starters, the fact that the document is still in place doesn't prove much because many Android apps will preserve state between sessions - one of the tricks used by developers to avoid the problem of the OS randomly closing their apps to free resources. I can do the same with any number of Android apps on the PB, including TapaTalk and the Twitter client since, for all of its benefits, the Android Runtime for BlackBerry apps is still essentially an instance Android running in a VM - warts and all.

But none of this disproves my assertion that Android is notoriously unstable over time. Just browse the various Android fan and support sites and count the number of threads about instability, random reboots, the OS "slowing down," etc. Or simply search on "Task Killer" in Google Play. There's a reason why this particular app category has become a veritable cottage industry within the Android ecosystem.

For someone feeling good about your choice, you put a lot of effort into dissing Android, like you need to keep reassuring yourself.
    Actually, it takes very little effort to diss Android - it's an easy mark. As for reassurance, I'm sitting 3 feet from a dozen Android tabs that I can pickup and use whenever I want. I have access to the latest and greatest that the Android development community has to offer - including the financial resources to buy whatever I want, whenever I want to - and yet I continue to rely on my PB for my daily mobile computing needs.

Why? Because I tried Android and it let me down. It was unstable, unreliable and generally a PITA to maintain. And when I went searching for solutions to the myriad problems I was encountering, I found out I wasn't alone - that the kind of show-stopper bugs and flaws that I would have never imagined encountering on a Playbook were in fact par for the course with most Android devices.

So rather than suffer in silence with the rest of the masses, I exercised my freedom to choose a different path. The Playbook may not meet everyone's needs, but for those who value stability and reliability over the "sizzle without substance" of Android's device-du-jour mentality, it's a godsend.

RCK
    10-16-12 08:11 PM

You lost the challenge about the PB being capable of pulling off the workload as described, so now you switch to questioning the icon placement? It was a demo. Of course I placed the icons where they would be convenient to me. Frankly, my "regular" PB layout is far more organized - but since the debate was about the capacity of the PB and not the efficiency of the UI design, your question is moot.
    I lost the challenge? Talk about revisionist history. Anyone can read this thread and see that it was you who challenged my claim that I could easily do the workload you so proudly described on my GSIII. You are a dishonest person which is your credibility is shot. (There's a few more examples of this dishonesty but I won't bore everyone.) When you make up stories when the evidence is fresh and readily available, how can we trust the stories that we have to take on good faith?

Regarding the EZ layout and the reboot, the fact stands that you prepped for the demo. On the other hand, I did mine right away, no preparation, even ad libbing to add a level of difficulty just because.

Since we've both played with your scenario, how about we put one of my scenarios to the test. What's that? You're going to say you're no longer interested in continuing. If so, that's ok. No more cajoling.

But none of this disproves my assertion that Android is notoriously unstable over time. Just browse the various Android fan and support sites and count the number of threads about instability, random reboots, the OS "slowing down," etc.
    Oh I love this part! This part is just priceless. Why don't you tap the back button on Tapatalk and read the forum that you're currently on. Loss of data, sluggishness, websites not loading, power issues, instability, etc. And what's one of the most common troubleshooting advice? Security wipe. 99.5% of iOS users have never even heard of that notion. The last time I did that on any device was back in the dark ages when I was using the the Winmo Dell Axim.

Since you are suggesting that counting problem threads in support forums is evidence of chronic OS problems, then you have to take your own medicine.

Now here's the thing. I'm not a fanboy of iOS, PBOS, Android, nor of Windows Phone. I am interested in all of them and I have no loyalty whatsoever. So this is just a statement of fact. Apple has less than ten very similar models they have to support with iOS. RIM has exactly two hardware devices that they support with PBOS and yet look at the problems. With Android, there are hundreds of combinations of devices and OS builds. No surprise the forums are filled with problems reports. But when some get it right like Samsung does, the public takes notice, word of mouth spreads, and the devices become a runaway success.

If you'll indulge a little armchair psychology, I think you're insecure because the device you've given your loyalty to, that you've committed to, has an insecure future. Simple as that.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    10-16-12 09:00 PM
    Face facts. After all of that "cajoling" (read: insults and innuendo), mud-raking and smearing of my integrity, the last thing you expected me to do was actually post a video refuting your claims and proving that the PB could in fact handle the workload I originally described - and quite effortlessly, I might add.

In boxing/martial arts we call this a "rope-a-dope," and you walked right into it. You thought you caught me in a lie, went for the jugular and got your rear-end handed to you.

Now, as you lie on the mat licking your wounds and wondering how to respond, let me give you some advice:

Dude, you lost. Get over it.

And with that, I'm out of here. Have fun playing with your little phone...

RCK
    10-17-12 02:03 AM
    You thought you caught me in a lie, went for the jugular and got your rear-end handed to you.
    To the other readers of this thread: Yes, yes, I know further arguing with rkennedy is clearly pointless, and I really ought to stop now, but I can't stand revisionist history. Just a couple more things to wrap up: 1) Summarize the story and show the bald-faced rewriting of history in the preceding quote 2) I think most will find the following quite amusing. In fact I bookmarked this thread and shared it with friends (who are not even smartphone fans). Links to original posts provided, because I like to back things up when possible.

notafanboy: Um, I can easily do everything you listed in your list from 1-30 on my stock Galaxy SIII or Nexus 7. None of the issues you describe, such as losing context or sluggishness exist on these stock, untweaked devices.

rkennedy: Total BS. The issues I pointed to are architectural flaws in Android and thus hardware agnostic. Don't try to change the subject by playing the hardware snob card like all the other Google apologists.

notafanboy: Using the scenario that you described, I can create and post a video and show which one of us is full of BS.

rkennedy: Please do. I love fiction.

<snipped an exchange of notafanboy wanting to make it a for-fun wager>

Editorial: Now here comes the parts where rkennedy thinks he caught me in a lie.

rkennedy: No, it means I'm not going to waste any more time debating an obvious troll. The PB's ability to handle the workload I described was never in question, and your attempt to change the subject by turning it into some kind of wager is simply to distract from your original post. Bottom Line: You made a claim about Android and now you need to back it up. The fact that you're still dancing around the subject instead of posting your "proof" just makes you look even more like a fanboy troll.

rkennedy: It's this other troll fellow who is claiming to be able to reproduce the same under Android, a feat I myself have been unable to accomplish after much trying over several months. So I called his bluff and he has since refused to backup his claim and is instead trying to steer the conversation away from his original boast.

Editorial: And now the punchline where rkennedy gets his rear-end handed to him.

A mere four minutes after rkennedy was gloating about calling my bluff, I post the first of two video uploads.

If rkennedy is true to his word, then it's time to wrap this up. Having both played with his scenario, as I expected he declines to explore one of my scenarios. A wise decision in my opinion.
    mikeo007 and esk369 like this.
    10-17-12 05:46 AM
    Post it anyway I bet it will be very interesting to watch, but I think we already established he S III's multitasking prowess.

The issue is Android. And Android means vanilla. EDIT: So, no dual screen? Or can all Android devices do that?

What release does it use as base? 4.something? (Simple curiosity)
    I missed this question earlier.

My GSIII is running 4.0.4 ICS right now. AFAIK only the Galaxy Note and another Samsung Tablet supports the split screen. I am hoping that makes at some point to the GSIII.

One good thing about getting a commercially successful and popular device, there's a lot of developer interest and support for it. I can't even keep up with what the XDA crowd is cooking up, but this is getting some interest over there.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-17-12 02:41 PM
    I predict this thread will get more posts than 'the 50K CrackBerry challenge'
    10-17-12 03:03 PM
    I predict this thread will get more posts than 'the 50K CrackBerry challenge'
    No way, this is already spiraling down to Locksville...
    10-17-12 03:44 PM
    Let's try to bring this thread back on topic.
    the only "multitasking" capability I would like to see is for the browser to continue loading content when I switch to another browser tab, I like to have multiple tabs open and switch between them.

currently it seems the browser content only loads on the active tab.
    10-18-12 09:43 AM
    That's odd because I just tested this and got a very different result:

With the browser closed, I launched four bookmarks in quick succession from a folder on my dock. As I launched them, they would each steal the focus as their respective tabs were created, such that the last bookmark launched became the one displayed in the browser when I had finished launching bookmarks. I then waited a few seconds to give the other, non-visible tabs time to finish loading their pages (it's a REALLY slow connection here on Mauritius), then started switching through the tabs. In each case, I found a fully-rendered web page waiting for me, which means that while the tab with the focus (i.e. the last one I launched) was rendering its page visibly in the browser window, the other tabs had continued to load and render their respective pages in the background even though they didn't have the focus/weren't visible.

Four tabs. Four separate web sites. All loading concurrently. How is this not "multitasking" of tabs?

Note that I can also click a link in one tab, then switch to another while that link is loading, and when I come back to the first tab the new page is loaded and waiting for me - i.e. it continued to load in the background while I was viewing another site in the foreground.

Can you give us some specific examples of a site or combination of sites that defeats this kind of tab multitasking on the PB? And have you checked the General section of the Settings page to make sure you have the PB's behavior set to "showcase" mode?

RCK
    10-18-12 11:08 AM
    guys, if you have PB, iPad, and Android tablet, you can do action like this. open all application that you want. especially for games. try to play games at PB, ipad, Andro Tablet. When you play the game, please switch to other application. for example mobile office. Try to make a document there. then open youtube for streaming. choose a video, and watch it. Next, open your browser, try to browse one or two websites, or try to make multiple tabs runs together. Oh, one more, open other game, and play it also.

OK, now, lets you switch again to the first game you play. Is the game still running (pause position means the application is still running), switch again to the document you are creating, switch again to youtube player (is the video still running or pause), switch again to the browser, then, switch again to the second game (are you still finding your game is running or pause), last, switch again to the first game (still running or pause).

If all of that action give you running or pause position, it means that your tablet capable of doing the multitasking. But if you find that the game is close or you have to run again the application from the beginning, means your tablet cannot support multitasking in what Playbook can. That's simple.
    I didn't notice until I read the scenario you described, that I routinely do this day to day. I made a short video to illustrate the scenario. By the way I think what you described is more demanding than rkennedy's scenario, which just had a lot of switching across modestly sized apps.

In the video: I have it hooked up to an external monitor, and connected via BT to a mouse, keyboard, and speaker.
    The first game was the classic N64 Mario Kart.
    Started editing a Word format document.
    Switch to Chrome, with the full Crackberry site open, and a couple other "heavy" tabs.
    Copy text from the browser to use in the Word document.
    Save a picture from the browser and added it to the document.
    Started a video player. Notice there are five video thumbnails playing at once.
    Resumed watching one of the movies.
    Started Jetpack Joyride.
    Switch back to all of the previous apps to show that they are still running.

Link to video.
    Last edited by notafanboy; 10-24-12 at 06:55 AM.
    10-21-12 10:02 PM
    I didn't notice until I read the scenario you described, that I routinely do this day to day. I made a short video to illustrate the scenario. By the way I think what you described is more demanding than rkennedy's scenario, which just had a lot of switching across modestly sized apps.

In the video: I have it hooked up to an external monitor, and connected via BT to a mouse, keyboard, and speaker.
    The first game was the classic N64 Mario Kart.
    Started editing a Word format document.
    Switch to Chrome, with the full Crackberry site open, and a couple other "heavy" tabs.
    Copy text from the browser to use in the Word document.
    Save a picture from the browser and added it to the document.
    Started a video player. Notice there are five video thumbnails playing at once.
    Resumed watching one of the movies.
    Started Jetpack Joyride.
    Switch back to all of the previous apps to show that they are still running.

Link to video.
    Your really makin me want one of those fancy heaters your packin.
    10-22-12 01:12 PM
    So I noticed one scenario where Android does not multitask. Unlike on the desktop, only one Flash website can run at a time. The tabs themselves load up concurrently, even when the browser is sent to the background and other apps are running on the foreground. The flash content, however, is suspended in the background.

Can someone try out the scenario below on the PB?

Here I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S3 to run flash websites.
    I am using the Dolphin browser and running three flash websites on different tabs
    - Live kitten cam feed from Animal Planet Kitten Cam : Too Cute : Animal Planet
    - Scale of the universe 2 The Scale of the Universe 2
    - Tag Galaxy Tag Galaxy

FF22 likes this.
    10-24-12 07:12 AM
    notafanboy - thanks for the link to the Scale of the Universe - kind of fun and interesting.
    10-24-12 08:52 AM
    If nobody tries this on the Playbook before I'm done work, I'll try it when I get home.
    10-24-12 08:57 AM
202 ... 6789