Try this on for size:

10-13-12 05:21 PM
    Plug your PB into an HDMI display. Change the HDMI setting so mirror mode is off. Start a video from streaming or locally stored. While the video plays on the HDMI, do anything you want on the display. That is true multitasking. I don't know any other tab that can do that at this time.

You can switch apps to the front by swipping left or right with one finger. Wait a second until it is sure you want that app and start using it. One step only.

Calendar, email, and if you have Bridge active, BBM, TXT all notify with no app running.

Two days ago I started Radio for BlackBerry PlayBook, streamed ImageRadio out of London, opened YouTube in the browser, started a HD vid of flight over Scotland, muted the video and let Radio play the audio track. Nary a hiccup to be seen or heard. Buy, the way Animated Weather was also running and he announced the current conditions on the 15 minute as is his wont. A PB user thinks nothing of doing this kind of thing as the PB handles true multitasking with aplomb.
    The iPad can do exactly what you're describing, except wirelessly using airplay.
    10-13-12 05:22 PM
    Plug your PB into an HDMI display. Change the HDMI setting so mirror mode is off. Start a video from streaming or locally stored. While the video plays on the HDMI, do anything you want on the display. That is true multitasking. I don't know any other tab that can do that at this time.

You can switch apps to the front by swipping left or right with one finger. Wait a second until it is sure you want that app and start using it. One step only.

Calendar, email, and if you have Bridge active, BBM, TXT all notify with no app running.

Two days ago I started Radio for BlackBerry PlayBook, streamed ImageRadio out of London, opened YouTube in the browser, started a HD vid of flight over Scotland, muted the video and let Radio play the audio track. Nary a hiccup to be seen or heard. Buy, the way Animated Weather was also running and he announced the current conditions on the 15 minute as is his wont. A PB user thinks nothing of doing this kind of thing as the PB handles true multitasking with aplomb.
    Wish I would have thought of that! Now my PB won't be off limits during the holidays. Thanks!
    savestheday611 likes this.
    10-13-12 05:22 PM
    You somehow managed to miss gestures on the iPad? Switching apps is easier and faster on the iPad.
    PlayBook from eg mail to browser:
    1. Swipe up to expose apps.
    2. Swipe left or right until you hit the browser app.
    3. Tap on the browser start using it.

IPad from eg mail to browser:
    1. Place 4 fingers on screen and swipe left or right until you hit the browser app. Start using it.
    2. There is no 2.
    3. Sorry, no 3 either.

Other gestures too for button haters etc, but that is a bit off topic.

About the app "doing its thing" in the background. If it is appropriate (eg GPS updates etc), it will continue to work. If not, it will be suspended and not consume system resources. Clever eh? Battery life matters.
    You can switch between apps with a single gesture on the PB. Just swipe from the left or right bezel to switch to the next app in sequence. No need to swipe-up to expose the apps list, though I tend to do so anyway since I enjoy the silky-smooth animation and ability to pick the desired app directly.

Also, there are huge advantages to the way the PB handles multitasking, in particular, the fact that you never worry about the "state" of the background application. Under Android, when I switch between apps I never know what state I'll find the "background" app in, especially if it's been a while since I last used it. If the app's a web browser, I'll often find it reloading the pages I was looking at. If it's something like TapaTalk or Twitter, I'll end up back at their respective start screens, even though I switched away from the app while in the middle of reading a thread or (god forbid) writing a response (which was possibly lost).

With Android, there's limited or no preservation of state since the apps are swapped at the mercy of the OS. This also holds true for iOS. By contrast, the PB keeps the app in memory until you close it or until a low memory situation forces the OS to start terminating unused processes. In this regard, it operates more like a traditional PC device, which is one of the PB's characteristics that appeals to me personally. Also, the underlying QNX kernel is far more robust than either iOS or Android, which is why you can continue to switch fluidly between apps even with a dozen or so "windows" open. When I try to replicate such workload scenarios on Android the device get's buried.

Bottom Line: I can do more with my PB - both serially and concurrently - than I can with my Android Tablet (Acer Iconia A200), and this is after rooting, modding (new CM9 ROM & Kernel) and heavily customizing the latter. And don't get me started on stability/reliability. Android is a joke in this regard.

RCK
    10-13-12 05:31 PM
    Try this on for size:

I'm stupid like this guy great video thanks Morbinm.
    djdragon likes this.
    10-13-12 07:02 PM
    Plug your PB into an HDMI display. Change the HDMI setting so mirror mode is off. Start a video from streaming or locally stored. While the video plays on the HDMI, do anything you want on the display. That is true multitasking. I don't know any other tab that can do that at this time.You can switch apps to the front by swipping left or right with one finger. Wait a second until it is sure you want that app and start using it. One step only.Calendar, email, and if you have Bridge active, BBM, TXT all notify with no app running.Two days ago I started Radio for BlackBerry PlayBook, streamed ImageRadio out of London, opened YouTube in the browser, started a HD vid of flight over Scotland, muted the video and let Radio play the audio track. Nary a hiccup to be seen or heard. Buy, the way Animated Weather was also running and he announced the current conditions on the 15 minute as is his wont. A PB user thinks nothing of doing this kind of thing as the PB handles true multitasking with aplomb.
    I have it streaming right now and plugged to the 42'. I must try this!!Must be doing something wrong, all I got was audio. Well, I'll check again in the morning!
    10-13-12 07:14 PM
    I've another example of the Playbook's multitasking. I recently got a second Playbook and had to reinstall all of my apps from App World which took quite a bit of time. I set it to showcase mode and started all of the downloads and then went on to do something else... probably read the forums.
    diegonei likes this.
    10-13-12 07:40 PM
    "Can your iPad do that? Nooo!"

Rofl that one cracked me up... Nothing against the one most sold tablet of all time... But we have better multitasking power.
    10-13-12 08:32 PM
    How about another example. I've posted this before, and I don't know if any other tab can do it , but two videos streaming at one time- and, FWIW, I've succesfully gotten four running at the same time.

diegonei, axeman1000 and 00stryder like this.
    10-13-12 08:36 PM
    I've another example of the Playbook's multitasking. I recently got a second Playbook and had to reinstall all of my apps from App World which took quite a bit of time. I set it to showcase mode and started all of the downloads and then went on to do something else... probably read the forums.
    Also doable on most other tablets.
    Here are things that the iPad can do in the background in 3rd party apps(need to use your imagination as to how they're implemented in apps).
    In addition to this, Apple apps can perform true multitasking since they aren't bound by the app store review process. This is why you can stream videos, download apps in the BG, load web pages, etc.
    Anything that's not on this list is probably something that only the Playbook can do as a background task, such as the video camera example above.

1. Audio
    2. VoiP
    3. Location
    4. Push notifications
    5. Local notifications (pre-set)
    6. Task completion (finish a single thread in the background; could be a very complex process)
    7. State save
    8. Background download
    9. Communicate with external accessory
    10-13-12 08:37 PM
    Indeed, I can give you an example.

Show me ANY tablet that can do that.
    If it has a strength over other platforms, it is in multitasking.
    Not really. Watch this, and start at 2:15

As can be plainly seen in the video, the multitasking in the Note II is superior and far more practical.
    10-13-12 08:44 PM
    How about another example. I've posted this before, and I don't know if any other tab can do it , but two videos streaming at one time- and, FWIW, I've succesfully gotten four running at the same time.
    Here's a superior implementation of pop-up video on Android. (There's also a pop-up browser, calculator, launcher)

Jump to 2:45

10-13-12 08:49 PM
    Here's a superior implementation of pop-up video on Android. (There's also a pop-up browser, calculator, launcher)

Jump to 2:45

Sorry... That's ONE App for VIDEOS. I'm not saying it isnt impresive. It is!

But it is NOT the OS and does not work for all apps. This is very nice, but it does not apply.

Still nice to have video widgets (that's what it is).

Now... Congratz for the Galaxy team. That is actually a nice implementation. Well done for them. No kidding Apple sued them, that's some competition.

Oh, mikeo007. Nobody is saying you cant run multiple apps on iOS. We're saying that it's multitasking capabilities are limited when compared the PlayBook. Half your argument is moot.
    rotorwrench and axeman1000 like this.
    10-13-12 09:10 PM
    Sorry... That's ONE App for VIDEOS. I'm not saying it isnt impresive. It is!

But it is NOT the OS and does not work for all apps. This is very nice, but it does not apply.
    What you are calling the OS is actually just the UI component of the OS, aka the app launchpad, app switcher.
    The OPs question is more than just the launchpad, but rather how well does the OS support multitasking, and how apps can take advantage of it.

It appears you missed this post [from 2:15}:

As can be plainly seen in the video, the multitasking in the Note II is superior and far more practical.

Still nice to have video widgets (that's what it is).

Now... Congratz for the Galaxy team. That is actually a nice implementation. Well done for them. No kidding Apple sued them, that's some competition.

Oh, mikeo007. Nobody is saying you cant run multiple apps on iOS. We're saying that it's multitasking capabilities are limited when compared the PlayBook. Half your argument is moot.
    It is not a video widget. A widget is placed on the launcher screen. This implementation is a true popup window: it can be moved, resized, minimized to the notification bar. You can open multiple ones of those.
    10-13-12 09:43 PM
    No, it seems you missed my remark on the Galaxy Note all together.

But that app is just that, a fancy implementation of widgets. I was not talking about the Note. I was talking about the app.

Pay better attention, shall we?
    10-13-12 09:48 PM
    No, it seems you missed my remark on the Galaxy Note all together.

But that app is just that, a fancy implementation of widgets. I was not talking about the Note. I was talking about the app.

Pay better attention, shall we?
    You still don't understand what an Android widget is, not even after I tried explaining it.

To the OP: Some people would claim that multitasking on the Playbook is unique and special. Whether this is cheerleading or just a lack of experience with other platforms, I don't know. Please take a look at the evidence provided and judge for yourself.
    tonyron227 likes this.
    10-13-12 10:07 PM
    For a person like me, who is switching to tablets straight from PC. (i.e. no touch mobile in between; PB is close to PC and hence was way easy and quick to get started. I can control what apps to run and when I close one, it does not consume anymore resources(unlike Android which keeps on caching the files, most recently used).

Now for multi tasking, even a basic phone can run music player in the background(old nokia S40), or some other app, that is multi tasking as well, though not true or full multi tasking.

By true multi tasking it is meant that the OS is not doing anything specific for *any* app, its scheduler keeps on scheduling all the process, and believes that user will take correct decision. Now considering we can see all the running apps and nothing really runs in background this make perfect sense.

Do note that it is different with a particular OS supporting N funtionality to run simultaneously. Here the OS scheduler just schedules its essential service and the application on screen(currently active), while keeping other process on, but not scheduling them.(hence in effect pausing them).

Which approach is better is much debatable, but out of these two the former is true multi tasing and PB does that.(and with realy easy to use interface, kudos to the team)
    diegonei, ralfyguy and digtech like this.
    10-13-12 10:14 PM
    I'd say this fairly useless/endless argument has shown me that I can possibly multi-something or other on a number of platforms but still can't easily attach photoSSSSSS (and I know you can finagle one photo under android) to an email on our wonderful multitasking system. Nor can I multitask my way to a Search on a webpage.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    10-13-12 10:47 PM
    I'd say this fairly useless/endless argument has shown me that I can possibly multi-something or other on a number of platforms but still can't easily attach photoSSSSSS (and I know you can finagle one photo under android) to an email on our wonderful multitasking system. Nor can I multitask my way to a Search on a webpage.
    you just need to stop taking pictures with your PB and you wont have those issues lol
    FF22 likes this.
    10-13-12 10:55 PM
    It is a fair assessment of the issue, but how does this relate to the topic, F2?

We're not debating the OS' shortcomings (And I know of them. I hit one less that 28h ago).
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    10-13-12 11:20 PM
    Playbook
    1: Hold thumb on left edge of screen ,swipe left .No minimizing needed. (that's how mine works anyway)
    2: I don't have an I-anything
    3: I never will.
    disallow likes this.
    10-14-12 12:04 AM
    From this thread it looks like hands down PB beats the rest at multi-tasking, and we haven't even seen full-on BB10 running eight apps at once, on a phone. I like how the PB browser never reloads web-pages. My iOS device did which was really annoying. With my PB I'll load pages and then read them later when I'm not near wifi. If I close the browser I just reload with bridge. Pretty awesome. I do hope BB10 has something like Windows snap-on or that Note demo for concurrent multi-tasking. I think I also saw some other company have a multi-tasking implementation where the two apps were overlayed and the ratio of one app the other could be changed.
    axeman1000 likes this.
    10-14-12 12:06 AM
    It is a fair assessment of the issue, but how does this relate to the topic, F2?

We're not debating the OS' shortcomings (And I know of them. I hit one less that 28h ago).
    It means that watching two videos at the same time with overlapping audio or 4 videos on any device is a miracle but mostly useless for most ordinary users. That's why most users don't even recognize that their respective devices do or don't TRULY Multitask and maybe a few percentage points really care.

Retina display on a 4 inch screen - I could not care more or less.

In other words, give me practical devices, practical apps and practical prices.
    axeman1000, esk369 and diegonei like this.
    10-14-12 12:07 AM
    After I swipe up from my email my browser icon is on the main bar so all I have to do is swipe up and tap, browser is open.
    10-14-12 01:24 AM
    Playbook:
    Use 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 fingers and swipe to one side
    There is no 2
    There is no 3

Playbook is better here sorry man. You should learn a little bit more about the PB before you make such a misleading post.
    totally agree and was gonna post something similar. I mean is it intuitive to swipe up from the bezel with 1 finger or do a 4 finger salute? which is more natural. for anyone who says that you can multitask on ios and android this is true, with severe memory lag, no ease of switching back, and certainly no decent use of the UI, of which isn't this key to experience?
    axeman1000 likes this.
    10-14-12 02:17 AM
202 1234 ...