I keep hearing that the PlayBook is unique in terms of its multitasking capability. How does it multitask? Can you point to an example?

I know it will play music in the background when you're doing something else, but so will every other tablet in the world. Where is the unique multitasking ability?
    10-13-12 02:27 PM
    Indeed, I can give you an example.

Show me ANY tablet that can do that.

As you can see, it pauses videos as soon as something else starts playing. Same happen soon with games, they get paused when you move windows. Video chat keeps on rolling while you do stuff, same for recording.

If it has a strength over other platforms, it is in multitasking.

I should do a "Gaming on the BlackBerry PlayBook" soon...
    esk369, kbz1960, BB_Bmore and 3 others like this.
    10-13-12 02:32 PM
    Basically it lets the user manage the running apps.
    On iOS and Android, it's up to the developer to determine what the app can do in the background.
    On the Playbook, apps are given free-reign when running in the background.

Neither implementation is better IMO, just different.
    10-13-12 02:36 PM
    you can have many apps open at the same time, each app will keep running giving you the option to go from one to the other without having to close one app first.
    10-13-12 02:39 PM
    Big Big Diego!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    diegonei and esk369 like this.
    10-13-12 02:43 PM
    Big Big Diego!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    A big +1 on that the video clip says it all.
    diegonei and antiRIM like this.
    10-13-12 02:53 PM
    Basically it lets the user manage the running apps.
    On iOS and Android, it's up to the developer to determine what the app can do in the background.
    On the Playbook, apps are given free-reign when running in the background.

Neither implementation is better IMO, just different.
    Yeah, leave the fact you have ultra easy access to all running apps out. "Just different"...

And the user decides what happens. You can have the app behave as the dev wants (default), always pause (Paused) or always running (Show Case - besides the ones I mention on the previous post).
    esk369 likes this.
    10-13-12 02:53 PM
    Show me ANY tablet that can do that.

As you can see, it pauses videos as soon as something else starts playing. Same happen soon with games, they get paused when you move windows. Video chat keeps on rolling while you do stuff, same for recording.
    Your are task switching. Other tabs do that. Vid chat in background, streaming media etc in background also common

iOS for example (phone here but tablet the same)
    -Facetime video conferencing continues while I check my GPS app screen (of course it's active in background feeding me audible turn by turn) for directions while driving. Green FT status bar stays at top, audio continues. Touch status bar to return video to screen.
    10-13-12 03:02 PM
    As an example: every morning, I launch my RSS reader, and trigger a refresh: it starts scanning my ~100 feeds and retrieves text and images for later offline reading.
    As this task will last various minutes, I switch to email, and trigger a retrieve too, for all my accounts. While this too is not immediate, I switch to the browser to read the morning local newspaper.
    When I'm done reading, all my RSS feeds are retrieved and saved, and my mail is ready.
    In short: multitasking, like on any desktop computer. Quite simple IMHO.
    That others do or not I just don't mind. Mine does, every morning, for any app I want, without slowing the machine, and this, is significant.
    esk369 and world saviour like this.
    10-13-12 03:32 PM
    Yeah, leave the fact you have ultra easy access to all running apps out. "Just different"...

And the user decides what happens. You can have the app behave as the dev wants (default), always pause (Paused) or always running (Show Case - besides the ones I mention on the previous post).
    iPad has equally easy access to all running apps. The difference is, you don't have to care whether or not the app is running. Tap the app, it opens. Hit the button, tap a new app, it opens. Swipe between the apps or hit the button and open it again from the home screen.

Not much of a user decision either. Freeze apps or give them free reign.

As an example: every morning, I launch my RSS reader, and trigger a refresh: it starts scanning my ~100 feeds and retrieves text and images for later offline reading.
    As this task will last various minutes, I switch to email, and trigger a retrieve too, for all my accounts. While this too is not immediate, I switch to the browser to read the morning local newspaper.
    When I'm done reading, all my RSS feeds are retrieved and saved, and my mail is ready.
    In short: multitasking, like on any desktop computer. Quite simple IMHO.
    That others do or not I just don't mind. Mine does, every morning, for any app I want, without slowing the machine, and this, is significant.
    Can do the same thing on iPad and presumably Android tablets too.
    10-13-12 03:38 PM
    PB doesn't allow background services to run (at this point), when the app is closed unlike other platforms. You've to keep the app open, if you want it to do any task.
    IMO, this is bit inconvenient to keep a chat application as an example "opened" all the times. However, RIM provided an easier way to do app-switching as compared to other platforms, so it doesn't bother "too much" to keep multiple apps running and keep switching between them.

Just my 2 cents.
    10-13-12 03:40 PM
    You have to go to settings>general>and change application behavior from default to showcase in order to keep apps in background active all the time.

I don't know why showcase wouldn't be the default.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-13-12 03:43 PM
    On the defense of "must keep them running"...

Besides a very few and specific apps, if you don't need it open, you probably don't really need it running. But agreed, for IM notifications it would be nice not to need them open. Still...

To the others. When I said "show me any tablet that can do that" I mean how easy/fast/fun/straight forward switching apps are on the PlayBook. You all know I don't belittle any platforms but the PlayBook is handsdown team best when it comes to multitasking. One swipe. No longer/short presses, no double taps, no menus.

The video was intended to show media, not multitasking, but it does hat to an extent. Being able to jump from one application to the other while it keeps doing it's thing (and tell me how iOS is better or even the same at this - apps get on hold when you switch and please don't tell me the switcher is easier to use. It works, not saying it doesn't. But it isn't better).

Different strokes for different folks. But I still prefer this to mum's Android and friends iPads.
    10-13-12 04:01 PM
    You have to go to settings>general>and change application behavior from default to showcase in order to keep apps in background active all the time.

Power management is my guess. It does take a toll on the battery to have it on show case.
    10-13-12 04:02 PM
    Apps that aren't designed to run as background processes (ie contain logic that explicitly stops consuming CPU cycles when appropriate) can slaughter the battery. Makes for a lot of support calls, don't you know.

How many random App store apps do you think are designed to consider this?
    10-13-12 04:06 PM
    I'm still relatively new to android with my t300 and still learning the os like anything its got its +'s and -'s l can't comment on Apple because I don't own any apple products.
    I will say in my humble opinion that the pb's multitasking capabilities are head and shoulders above my transformer t300 hands down better and unless I'm missing somthing my opinion won't change.
    I like both I use both but as far as simplicity and ease of use again I have to go with the pb that being said there are things my droid tab does that the pb just can't do for now but I expect that to change in the very near future and that's my 2 bits.
    diegonei and world saviour like this.
    10-13-12 04:14 PM
    I'm still relatively new to android with my t300 and still learning the os like anything its got its +'s and -'s l can't comment on Apple because I don't own any apple products.
    I will say in my humble opinion that the pb's multitasking capabilities are head and shoulders above my transformer t300 hands down better and unless I'm missing somthing my opinion won't change.
    I like both I use both but as far as simplicity and ease of use again I have to go with the pb that being said there are things my droid tab does that the pb just can't do for now but I expect that to change in the very near future and that's my 2 bits.
    I've honestly never used an Android tablet, but I wonder if the multitasking is similar Android phones? Not as fluid as iOS on the iPad, but some of the concepts are the same.
    10-13-12 04:24 PM
    To the others. When I said "show me any tablet that can do that" I mean how easy/fast/fun/straight forward switching apps are on the PlayBook. You all know I don't belittle any platforms but the PlayBook is handsdown team best when it comes to multitasking. One swipe. No longer/short presses, no double taps, no menus.

The video was intended to show media, not multitasking, but it does hat to an extent. Being able to jump from one application to the other while it keeps doing it's thing (and tell me how iOS is better or even the same at this - apps get on hold when you switch and please don't tell me the switcher is easier to use. It works, not saying it doesn't. But it isn't better).

Different strokes for different folks. But I still prefer this to mum's Android and friends iPads.
    You somehow managed to miss gestures on the iPad? Switching apps is easier and faster on the iPad.
    PlayBook from eg mail to browser:
    1. Swipe up to expose apps.
    2. Swipe left or right until you hit the browser app.
    3. Tap on the browser start using it.

IPad from eg mail to browser:
    1. Place 4 fingers on screen and swipe left or right until you hit the browser app. Start using it.
    2. There is no 2.
    3. Sorry, no 3 either.

Other gestures too for button haters etc, but that is a bit off topic.

About the app "doing its thing" in the background. If it is appropriate (eg GPS updates etc), it will continue to work. If not, it will be suspended and not consume system resources. Clever eh? Battery life matters.
    10-13-12 04:34 PM
    I've honestly never used an Android tablet, but I wonder if the multitasking is similar Android phones? Not as fluid as iOS on the iPad, but some of the concepts are the same.
    I'm interested in that also my gf has a zte warp I've played around with it a little a good friend of mine just gave me a just about brand new htc evo 4g ( he just switched over to the iphone ) I'm going to get that puppy unlocked and do a boost Mobil paug so I can play around with it.
    The gf laughs and says the jock is turning into a tech geek
    10-13-12 04:38 PM
    You somehow managed to miss gestures on the iPad? Switching apps is easier and faster on the iPad.
    PlayBook from eg mail to browser:
    1. Swipe up to expose apps.
    2. Swipe left or right until you hit the browser app.
    3. Tap on the browser start using it.

IPad from eg mail to browser:
    1. Place 4 fingers on screen and swipe left or right until you hit the browser app. Start using it.
    2. There is no 2.
    3. Sorry, no 3 either.

Other gestures too for button haters etc, but that is a bit off topic.

About the app "doing its thing" in the background. If it is appropriate (eg GPS updates etc), it will continue to work. If not, it will be suspended and not consume system resources. Clever eh? Battery life matters.
    Playbook:
    Use 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 fingers and swipe to one side
    There is no 2
    There is no 3

Playbook is better here sorry man. You should learn a little bit more about the PB before you make such a misleading post.
    10-13-12 05:04 PM
    For those that want to see real multitasking, start shooting a video with your PB (or other tablet), now switch to the browser or any other app. Come back to the PB, did the video stop? The Playbook's doesn't stop. That is the real multitasking that I need. Playbook wins here.
    10-13-12 05:07 PM
    For those that want to see real multitasking, start shooting a video with your PB (or other tablet), now switch to the browser or any other app. Come back to the PB, did the video stop? The Playbook's doesn't stop. That is the real multitasking that I need. Playbook wins here.
    This is probably the best example I've seen of an actual use for the Playbook's "true" multitasking. There aren't a huge number of examples, but this is a good one.
    10-13-12 05:14 PM
    Plug your PB into an HDMI display. Change the HDMI setting so mirror mode is off. Start a video from streaming or locally stored. While the video plays on the HDMI, do anything you want on the display. That is true multitasking. I don't know any other tab that can do that at this time.

You can switch apps to the front by swipping left or right with one finger. Wait a second until it is sure you want that app and start using it. One step only.

Calendar, email, and if you have Bridge active, BBM, TXT all notify with no app running.

Two days ago I started Radio for BlackBerry PlayBook, streamed ImageRadio out of London, opened YouTube in the browser, started a HD vid of flight over Scotland, muted the video and let Radio play the audio track. Nary a hiccup to be seen or heard. Buy, the way Animated Weather was also running and he announced the current conditions on the 15 minute as is his wont. A PB user thinks nothing of doing this kind of thing as the PB handles true multitasking with aplomb.
    10-13-12 05:15 PM
    It's just one small thing. It helps me take notes in class. Obviously, you can only use the mic for one app at a time. For example, you cannot shoot video and take voice notes at the same time. You can however take a video of a good fire and play some selective tunes at the same time. This is handy for plugging the HDMI cable in over the holidays and having a little xmas music and a nice fire on the big screen.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    10-13-12 05:18 PM
    The point of the power of the design of the multi tasking model with the playbook OS and hence the coming BB10 os is enablement of the platform for things to come as RIM leverages the OS across various market verticals.

The point is not that the playbook can truly run various apps simultaneously where others use pausing methods... It is that when the platform starts to extend out there it won't be hamstrung by limits.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-13-12 05:19 PM
202 123 ...