Further, why buy an RT tablet when you can get Win 8 tablets for about the same price. Intel just started shipping new low power processors, so new Win 8 tablets should be out soon with greatly improved battery life. Lastly, I suspect that Win RT will be history two years from now.
    09-12-13 03:15 PM
    Further, why buy an RT tablet when you can get Win 8 tablets for about the same price. Intel just started shipping new low power processors, so new Win 8 tablets should be out soon with greatly improved battery life. Lastly, I suspect that Win RT will be history two years from now.
    because you might like better battery life - haswell is no quantum leap despite the hype and ARM is more power efficient, and possibly may always be more power efficient, because you might like a device that doesn't heat up as much and runs silent always, and because you might happen to like the fact that the security model of a new architecture makes it less prone to standard malware.

You may or may not be right about it being history, but there are many who feel that would be a shame.
    09-12-13 03:20 PM
    Some truth in that comment but sometimes it pays to wait a bit. After all the current surfaces were first efforts and it seems likely that the next versions will see great improvement without costing a lot more. Anyway if you buy last years model after the new ones come out you can often get great discounts.
    Totall Agreed - I have a surface RT and love it, but I got it months back in a recent deal where they were giving away the free type cover (almost as good a deal as the existing lowered price give or take 10 pounds). Surface 2 is coming shortly with the promise of tegra 4 processor and I think MS realise the 'premium' pricing was a stupid idea. 23rd of september isn't far off, and I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy surface RT right now until that date - then they can make the decision as to what they want then with more options.
    09-12-13 03:24 PM
    Only other tablet I've bought was a $20 thing out of Hong Kong, which exploded when I tried to charge it. Thankfully they inexplicably sent two...

So... I'd say the Playbook is doing pretty well for itself.

"In vino veritas, in aqua sanitas."
    09-12-13 06:54 PM
    Only other tablet I've bought was a $20 thing out of Hong Kong, which exploded when I tried to charge it. Thankfully they inexplicably sent two...

So... I'd say the Playbook is doing pretty well for itself.

"In vino veritas, in aqua sanitas."
    Are you still trying to blow up the second one? I'd want to charge it outdoors under a bucket.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    FF22 and Tim1131 like this.
    09-12-13 07:42 PM
    I bought a Lenovo Thinkpad tablet 2 Windows Pro for $499 from microsoftshoponline.com
    64 gb, pen, USB 2, Hdmi, Micro sd card - I use a 32 gb which I had bought 2 years ago
    I use my MS office 2013 and have installed office 365, and I use a keyboard and mouse connected with by PT USB stick
    I will be traveling with my Lenovo now, Battery life is nearly 10 hours
    plus I still use my PB for emailing when I dont have a WiFi connection
    so I use 2 tablets now until the PB is obsolete
    I can highly recommend the WIN pro -Lenovo tablet 2 is coming out before xmas, but the price of $499 beats any Ipad
    and I have windows 8
    09-13-13 08:38 AM
    People buy more than one tablet?
    hreiner1 likes this.
    09-13-13 09:44 AM
    People buy more than one tablet?
    From readings here, I'd say there are some who buy every tablet made.
    hreiner1 likes this.
    09-13-13 12:10 PM
    BB's Playbook was the first and only tablet I got. And now I'm looking into getting my second...

My only concern when it comes to tablets is internet browsing. The browser on Playbook was painfully slow and clunky at times. So...would you guys recommend any other tablet with faster browsing capabilities (preferably around 7 inch tablets)? What are your experiences here? I'm sorta leaning to the new Nexus 7. Any thoughts?
    There is really nothing to be concerned about, long load times and extreme checkerboarding are a Playbook speciality unknown to other platforms. Please do yourself a favour and NEVER listen to people telling you otherwise. (This statement makes me feel like a ****, but the amount of denial in this sub forum is really getting embarrassing� )

I swapped my Playbook for a Nexus 7 (2012) a few months ago and the browsing performance has always been outstanding. The nice thing about Android is that there are so many browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Dolphin, Next, Boat, you name it) that you are guaranteed to find one that suits your needs. The sad truth is: all these browsers are lightyears ahead of what the Playbook browser has to offer speedwise and featurewise. Dolphin and Next Browser are especially efficient; I recommend to try them first.
    09-13-13 12:21 PM
    There is really nothing to be concerned about, long load times and extreme checkerboarding are a Playbook speciality unknown to other platforms. Please do yourself a favour and NEVER listen to people telling you otherwise. (This statement makes me feel like a ****, but the amount of denial in this sub forum is really getting embarrassing� )

I swapped my Playbook for a Nexus 7 (2012) a few months ago and the browsing performance has always been outstanding. The nice thing about Android is that there are so many browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Dolphin, Next, Boat, you name it) that you are guaranteed to find one that suits your needs. The sad truth is: all these browsers are lightyears ahead of what the Playbook browser has to offer speedwise and featurewise. Dolphin and Next Browser are especially efficient; I recommend to try them first.
    I have both the Nexus 7 and the PB.

Since you swapped your PB for the N7 several months ago it would seem that you are not up to date on the browser situation on the playbook. The PB has other browsers available now such as the Fast Browser and the Origami browser both of which offer very good performance. Also the stock PB browser performance continues to improve in many peoples opinion particularly with the last update.

On my N7 I use mainly Chrome and Boat. I have tried Dolphin but briefly and was not impressed. I will look at Next. Some Android browsers have now been ported to the PB but perhaps since PB is still on Android 2.3 they seem a little clunky.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-13-13 02:32 PM
    I have both the Nexus 7 and the PB.

Since you swapped your PB for the N7 several months ago it would seem that you are not up to date on the browser situation on the playbook. The PB has other browsers available now such as the Fast Browser and the Origami browser both of which offer very good performance. Also the stock PB browser performance continues to improve in many peoples opinion particularly with the last update.
    I've seen videos of Origami Browser and I agree that it has a beautiful interface and lots of cool features.

But as we are talking about speed here... As far as I understand it, Origami and Fast Browser share their underlying code with the Playbook Browser and the developers responsible for these apps 'merely' wrote the user interface without ever touching the browser component itself. So they can't correct any deficits in the rendering engine. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to downplay the dedication of these developers, I think it's great when someone puts so much blood, sweat and tears into an ageing, underfed platform. But there is only so much they can do with the tools they have. (For example turning off Javascript on demand, blocking ads, etc…) So this is really only a very, very minor improvement of the overall situation, if you ask me.

I have tried Dolphin but briefly and was not impressed.
    What did you dislike about it? Pages load very quickly and scrolling is smooth as butter. Not to mention that it has rearrangeable bookmarks, automatic word wrap for zoomed text and great overall stability. I like it a lot.
    09-13-13 03:41 PM
    The PB was the first tablet I owned and now after using: and returning: galaxy note 10.1, ipad and windows 8 tab I am going back to the PB. Just love the experience!

Posted via CB10 on the lovely Q10!
    09-13-13 03:44 PM
    I spent some time with an ipad and one thing I definitely noticed and liked was the ability to browse holding it in portrait mode. I think the aspect ratio is closer to 4:3 which I prefer over 16:9. When my current playbook dies and if blackberry has nothing new to offer I think that my decision will come down to the ability to easily browse holding it in portrait mode as I find that much more comfortable and pleasing to my eye. On a sidenote i wish they still made 4:3 laptops, 16:9 screens are good for videos but little else for me.
    09-14-13 07:24 PM
38 12