in terms of web surfing?

BB's Playbook was the first and only tablet I got. And now I'm looking into getting my second...

My only concern when it comes to tablets is internet browsing. The browser on Playbook was painfully slow and clunky at times. So...would you guys recommend any other tablet with faster browsing capabilities (preferably around 7 inch tablets)? What are your experiences here? I'm sorta leaning to the new Nexus 7. Any thoughts?
    09-10-13 04:28 PM
    Any modern tablet's browser is going to run circles around the PlayBook's.

Posted via CB10
    NoraMelua likes this.
    09-10-13 04:29 PM
    Any modern tablet's browser is going to run circles around the PlayBook's.

Posted via CB10
    ...around the original Playbook's browser.
    But there are alternatives as OrigamiBrowser, Fast Browser, etc.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...rowser-781601/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...elease-809048/
    jjs6w likes this.
    09-10-13 04:38 PM
    Also the recent update seems to have improved the browser a little bit.
    09-10-13 04:42 PM
    Actually I found that the PB OS 2.x browser is a damn sight better than most other tablet browsers (Android 2.3, 3.1, 4.1, IOS 4,5)
    09-10-13 04:42 PM
    its slow clunky and has very little features. No bookmark management at all either.
    09-10-13 05:16 PM
    its slow clunky and has very little features. No bookmark management at all either.
    Oh, come on, after two years can't you pick on some other deficiency! Like the fact that you still canNOT search on a webpage!
    09-10-13 06:19 PM
    [QUOTE=howarmat;9148996]its slow clunky and has very little features. No bookmark management at all either.

With the stock PB browser you can save to home page and organize these "launch icons" into folders. This is more convenient for sites you are going to return to often than a list of bookmarks. Fast browser let's you organize your bookmarks into groups. Origami let's you name your bookmarks and you get an alphabetized list.

In the Android system you can have Google Chrome, Firefox, Boat and a whole bunch of others. I use Chrome and Boat mainly on my Nexus 7. On Windows you get Internet Explorer which I hope runs a lot better on the windows 8 tablets than on my Win7 laptops where it crashes almost immediately. Apple of course has Safari but allows you to run Chrome.
    09-10-13 06:53 PM
    I got a new nexus 7 and thought never again I would use the playbook to browse. But I still use the Fast browser a lot. The feature to load groups of tabs in parallel is awesome. While individual pages load is slower, loading a bunch of your favorite pages in parallel is a major time saver. Even better that you can organize these groups of tabs and switch between groups of tabs.

I didn't appreciate this until I realized I'm spending way more time waiting and clicking on the nexus than with fast browser, even though nexus is faster loading. It was truly surprising.
    09-10-13 07:24 PM
    The Browser seems quite fast to me now. And what happened to the blue checkerboard?
    09-10-13 07:36 PM
    The Browser seems quite fast to me now. And what happened to the blue checkerboard?
    It's still there

How does it compare to other tablets you've bought...-img_00000002.png

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 08:38 PM
    Origami browser. Get it.

Edit: if you're leaning towards the new nexus 7 I would wait til Google sorts out its quality issues.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 09:30 PM
    It's still there

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000002.png 
Views:	318 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	200460

Posted via CB10
    Had to go to engadget to find it. And it didn't last long.
    09-10-13 10:06 PM
    Origami browser. Get it.

Edit: if you're leaning towards the new nexus 7 I would wait til Google sorts out its quality issues.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. I just sent a 2013 N7 back for a line of dead pixels. I've tried android tablets 3.0-4.3 and flash support is getting worse. ICS (4.0) is still OK but JB sucks. I still think PB is closest to desktop browsing at the moment for mobile devices.
    09-11-13 09:17 AM
    Like you, I have been wanting an "updated" tablet but to be quite honest, the ones out there are just meh...other than the hardware, to me is how the tablet feels. Yes, newer Android based tablets can be snappier due to the hardware but androids keyboard, androids way of moving around the apps, even androids buttons and UI just feels CHEAP. So, i will just wait. The one i liked the most was the kindle fire and still it was just odd moving around apps.
    FF22 and dmlis like this.
    09-11-13 09:28 AM
    Actually I found that the PB OS 2.x browser is a damn sight better than most other tablet browsers (Android 2.3, 3.1, 4.1, IOS 4,5)
    +1. The problem is, most people care more about useless features than the OS itself. I am completely sold on QNX and its robustness which is better than the others...but most out there dont care
    Robert Roger and Tim1131 like this.
    09-11-13 09:32 AM
    I bloody care.

I care about overall quality and quiet efficiency. Long term stuff.

The PlayBook, despite being a pile of ****, is still my favourite tablet out there. It is for sophisticated people.

Posted via CB10
    Robert Roger and FF22 like this.
    09-11-13 10:16 AM
    since your asking about other tablets. might I suggest the Microsoft Surface RT, it is very well designed and quality is top notch, not like the other tablets that feel like cheap plastic. Also the kick stand is awesome and with coupled that with the touch keyboard is like the PB own keyboard BUT BETTER! I find the Surface and the PB to be almost similar as they both rely on besel or swipe gestures and the Surface is a pain free transition to another tablet. also I luv the fact that the RT is 90% like windows where you will still have the familiar file directory and can copy/paste on the network EASILY. I have my RT on my homegroup and can transfer and watch/listen to my stuff with no hassles or xtra programs to install to achieve that. also include the fact that it has a full USB and can connect practically anything and the RT will recognize it and install the appropriate drivers! although the screen is larger I find it isn't cumbersome or hard to handle and the viewing is just amazing for a non HD screen, everything is so vibrant and clear and a joy to read/watch my stuff is the enjoyment is way up there! now with all the price cuts it's a lot easier to pick one up and I recommend it very highly! just check out these vids and see all the amazing things you can do!
    09-11-13 11:46 AM
    and part 2
    09-11-13 11:46 AM
    For 'Office' (Word and powerpoint) usage, any deficiencies that you may have encountered?

My wife is doing her doctorate and is tired of lugging around her laptop, but isn't a fan (at all) of touch screen keyboards. She doesn't need gaming or graphics performance, so I'm seriously considering an RT with the more real keyboard (the non colorful one).

Any thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 06:01 PM
    For 'Office' (Word and powerpoint) usage, any deficiencies that you may have encountered?

My wife is doing her doctorate and is tired of lugging around her laptop, but isn't a fan (at all) of touch screen keyboards. She doesn't need gaming or graphics performance, so I'm seriously considering an RT with the more real keyboard (the non colorful one).

Any thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    my thoughts are that I use word all the time and don't have a problem with because I don't have any unrealistic assumptions...that being said your wife has to understand that this a tablet and not a laptop. so there is going to be subtle differences and one of them is screen size. obviously the RT screen is smaller so stuff will be smaller... my wife uses excel and she has no problems either and she likes the portability of the RT. so I think your wife will like the portability of the RT and all the benefits of word and then she can hook/connect to the homegroup, transfer the word doc on to her desktop and continue working at the home/office. and by the way don't sell the touch keyboard short, it works amazing and she can even get the type keyboard which has "pressed" button keys for the real typing feel which my wife uses and she luvs it. also the keyboard folds back behind the RT out of the way when she needs to hold the device in her hands, and best of all when I'm using the RT in bed but don't need the keyboard I fold it underneath slap out the kick stand and the keyboard acts like a flat surface stabilizing the RT like a mini table lol how cool is that?
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    09-11-13 07:37 PM
    The second edition of the Surface tablets is about to hit the market. Doctorates generally take a while so don't be in a rush to get what will soon be last years technology.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-11-13 07:56 PM
    Had to go to engadget to find it. And it didn't last long.
    I'm astonished you can't find it on this very site - its usually the worst offender for me.
    09-12-13 01:34 PM
    current surface RT would suit the lady doing the doctorate I reckon - keeping up with tech is like (indeed, IS just) keeping up with fashion - not really worth it and will cost a lot of money.
    09-12-13 01:36 PM
    current surface RT would suit the lady doing the doctorate I reckon - keeping up with tech is like (indeed, IS just) keeping up with fashion - not really worth it and will cost a lot of money.
    Some truth in that comment but sometimes it pays to wait a bit. After all the current surfaces were first efforts and it seems likely that the next versions will see great improvement without costing a lot more. Anyway if you buy last years model after the new ones come out you can often get great discounts.
    09-12-13 02:54 PM
38 12