I've just bought a Playbook and I borrowed my partners Blackberry phone. I've paired her phone with my Playbook via Bluetooth using Blackberry Bridge, but don't really understand what I need and how it accesses data in order to get BBM to work.

Given that the Playbook uses wifi and has no telephony (it doesn't use a sim card) do I need Blackberry services on the phone, even though I'm not actually using the phone as a phone; I'm just simply using it to hook up to Bluetooth to create the Blackberry Bridge to the Playbook?

This seems to be a convoluted way of doing things in my opinion. Can anyone give me any help here, as I'm stuck?

I understand that to use BBM and other Blackberry services directly on the phone, I would need a BIS account/add on, but how does all this work with regard to the Playbook?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    07-29-12 09:10 AM
    In small words, when you brigde the devices, you gain access of your phone features on the PB(mail, calendar, contacts,bbm...text will be available with 2.1).

But, to have mail, bbm or other apps in your phone, you need a BIS or a BES data plan. You can still browse via wifi, but then again, the PB also has WIFI connectivity.

Sent from a beautiful but old BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    07-29-12 09:23 AM
    My bbphone's calendar, memopad, email (as mentioned - for that you need a bb account), contacts are available when bridged. You can also use the BROWSER when no wifi is available but 3g is available. So you should be able to see her contacts, etc (if she's willing).

Then you can also use the bb phone as a remote keyboard and/or mouse-device and control the pb using it.
    07-29-12 09:29 AM
    Would bridging a phone to PB be classed as Tethering? In the UK networks are funny about tethering.

07-29-12 10:12 AM
    Bridging is through bluetooth, not wifi, so in my own(newbish) opinion, its not tethering.

Thanks to the previous poster for completing my post lol It was a bit incomplete

07-29-12 10:17 AM
    Would bridging a phone to PB be classed as Tethering? In the UK networks are funny about tethering.

And in the US, AT&T has somehow conned Rim into a Bridge version that does not allow Browsing but there is a version available separately that bypasses AT&T's blockage. So, yes, AT&T thinks tethering=Bridge=MORE$$$$.
    07-29-12 10:30 AM
    And in the US, AT&T has somehow conned Rim into a Bridge version that does not allow Browsing but there is a version available separately that bypasses AT&T's blockage. So, yes, AT&T thinks tethering=Bridge=MORE$$$$.
    Can you pm me the alternative?

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk
    07-29-12 10:35 AM
    In Canada bridge and tethering are sepatete entities. Check with your carrier in regardes to additional charges
    07-29-12 10:39 AM
    Bridging is through bluetooth, not wifi, so in my own(newbish) opinion, its not tethering.

Thanks to the previous poster for completing my post lol It was a bit incomplete

It's quite a grey area.

One network in the UK called Giffgaff let you buy a goodybag for data and then a Blackberry add on but they say that's not allowed because Giffgaff class bridging as tethering and tethering is not allowed with a pb.

I can buy a Gigabag which allows tethering but you can't buy a blackberry add on with it. It's only for use in a 3G iPad or as Personal wifi hot spots on phones or devices.

07-29-12 10:39 AM
    I never used the tether option, but i sure can browse while bridging(although its kinda slow, since my phone is 8520)... But its though

07-29-12 10:46 AM
    Can you pm me the alternative?

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk
    If you have Bridge installed, UNinstall it, reboot phone.

Using the PHONE, visit:

rroyy.com and navigate to find the version of Bridge that matches your phone's OS. (I sometimes suggest navigating the site on a computer and figuring out the flow). Download it directly on the phone OTA. Reboot phone again.

He has archives of older versions of Bridge as well as other rim/bb software.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-29-12 11:03 AM

Using the PHONE, visit:

rroyy.com and navigate to find the version of Bridge that matches your phone's OS. (I sometimes suggest navigating the site on a computer and figuring out the flow). Download it directly on the phone OTA. Reboot phone again.

I can confirm rroyy's version works absolutely fine with giffgaff.
    bungaboy and PatrickMJS like this.
    07-29-12 12:57 PM
    What pissed off AT&T was that they couldn't tell if a person was bridged & thus couldn't charge them extra. That's why they released their own vs with browsing disabled.
    07-29-12 01:07 PM
    Hope they don't find about that in Portugal lol I already hate my carrier ^^

bungaboy likes this.
    07-29-12 01:11 PM

Using the PHONE, visit:

Thanks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-29-12 02:14 PM
    I got in contact with Giffgaff and they were not sure. So they contacted Head Office for clarification and they said yea it was fine to bridge my blackberry Playbook and 9300 using a goodybag and the Blackberry add on.

Well pleased and it works flawlessly.

07-31-12 07:07 PM
    I got in contact with Giffgaff and they were not sure. So they contacted Head Office for clarification and they said yea it was fine to bridge my blackberry Playbook and 9300 using a goodybag and the Blackberry add on.

Well pleased and it works flawlessly.

Really?! That's strange...mine didn't play at all using the 'official' version of Bridge, so I had to use rroyy's.
    I know Giffgaff are completely against tethering usually, but this sounds as if they may no longer consider Bridge as such. Great news!
    08-01-12 03:25 AM
    Now all I need to do is try and figure out why my partner's Playbook won't back up. Tried everything it just comes up with "loading of backup content failed".

I suspect there's a driver missing because when we try to install the device drivers it says "device unplugged" and fails to install.

08-04-12 02:28 PM
    What is a goodybag?
    08-04-12 03:07 PM
    A goodybag is an add on depending what you buy. For example a �10 goodybag will get you 250 mins of talk time, unlimited texts and unlimited data.

http://giffgaff.com/index/offer

08-04-12 06:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD