As i read on here and there some guys saying that the playbook is dead and "has-been" i would like to summarize the pros and the cons of using a PB in 2014. As a gamer i'm aware of industrial planned obsolescence based on catchy showcase apps that can't run without latest graphic cards or CPU, but i'm also sure that for me a good FPS is not an necessarily a beautifull FPS.

Based on this reasoning, I would like to know your opinion on how you use your tablets, playbook or other, in 2014.
    For me tablets can't replace a laptop at work, because i'm used to work on ultra-notebook (e.g. Thinkpad X200 with built-in 3g modem), i use the playbook essentially for :
    • Reading / writing mail / contact / agenda app (CON : missing todo/task exchange syncing on playbook)
    • Playing Music/Video/Picture (installed Neutron player, StereoTube)
    • Taking note (with Evernote, SpringPad client (Organize me), groovy note) (CON Missing trello app but using web app)
    • File manipulation / cloud syncing (Files and Folders, PrintToGo, CON: missing a Linux printtogo "driver")
    • Book/Pdf reading (with kindle, PDF reader, CON screen not really made for reading like others non e-ink tablets)
    • Social networkink (Blaq for twitter, missing a Gravity app like on my old E6-00)
    • Editing small uncomplicated DOC/XLS/PPT files for work (lot of app / sideload app)
    • Web crawling (use Origami Browser for web app)

Hardware of PB is still up to date for me (my use), os is smooth and freezing is rare. I don't play, so slicing fruits doesn't miss me, what really miss me is a better bridging with my Q10 (boring imap syncing bug), maybe a good turn by turn navigation app and i've not tested yet VNC client app with WOL app.

And you how do you use your tablets, which app do you use, in 2014?
    GV2012, paso971, sibeans and 6 others like this.
    04-19-14 02:39 AM
    As i read on here and there some guys saying that the playbook is dead and "has-been" i would like to summarize the pros and the cons of using a PB in 2014. As a gamer i'm aware of industrial planned obsolescence based on catchy showcase apps that can't run without latest graphic cards or CPU, but i'm also sure that for me a good FPS is not an necessarily a beautifull FPS.

Based on this reasoning, I would like to know your opinion on how you use your tablets, playbook or other, in 2014.
    For me tablets can't replace a laptop at work, because i'm used to work on ultra-notebook (e.g. Thinkpad X200 with built-in 3g modem), i use the playbook essentially for :
    • Reading / writing mail / contact / agenda app (CON : missing todo/task exchange syncing on playbook)
    • Playing Music/Video/Picture (installed Neutron player, StereoTube)
    • Taking note (with Evernote, SpringPad client (Organize me), groovy note) (CON Missing trello app but using web app)
    • File manipulation / cloud syncing (Files and Folders, PrintToGo, CON: missing a Linux printtogo "driver")
    • Book/Pdf reading (with kindle, PDF reader, CON screen not really made for reading like others non e-ink tablets)
    • Social networkink (Blaq for twitter, missing a Gravity app like on my old E6-00)
    • Editing small uncomplicated DOC/XLS/PPT files for work (lot of app / sideload app)
    • Web crawling (use Origami Browser for web app)

Hardware of PB is still up to date for me (my use), os is smooth and freezing is rare. I don't play, so slicing fruits doesn't miss me, what really miss me is a better bridging with my Q10 (boring imap syncing bug), maybe a good turn by turn navigation app and i've not tested yet VNC client app with WOL app.

And you how do you use your tablets, which app do you use, in 2014?
    Try Google Maps 6.2.2 sideload, the complete Navigation solution for the PlayBook with turn by turn included see channel C001CB4A1 for details.

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    04-19-14 03:00 AM
    Tip For Google maps 6.2.2 on PlayBook go into settings to Settings/Labs and tick bigger text, it makes the Map much clearer!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    04-19-14 03:04 AM
    I use mine almost identical to what you use yours for though I may be using different programs to get job done. Manipulate docs for business and my volunteer activities, email, heavy YouTube on my down time... Minimal social media.
    I think when we hear these "dead" comments we have to differentiate between those who use for gaming -social media and those who have other uses. This thing really should never have been called a "Play" Book cause it really is not so competent there. If you've owned the PB for any length of time you've probably found how to work around the flaws. For example the browser, I just find doin a quick refresh button solves the problem. For what I get out of my $120 piece of hardware I feel the extra 3 seconds of my life, for every couple of hours of use, for the work arounds is worth it
    jtv1 likes this.
    04-19-14 07:47 AM
    I use mine daily for pleasure like Web browsing, play music, personal emails, and play some games. It's does the job without too many hiccups. As for work, I use my laptop for the heavy duty work for documents modification and creations, I still prefer the actual keyboard. When I am on the road, I then use the bridge option with my Z10, I am still learning this option as I never used it with my legacy phone.
    jtv1 likes this.
    04-19-14 08:32 AM
    door stop
    Tazos likes this.
    04-19-14 08:43 AM
    Primarily for the same reason I bought it....a digital portfolio.

BB Proud
    jtv1 and mkelley65 like this.
    04-19-14 08:48 AM
    I'm feeling rather depressed as my guy gave away our Playbook. I went to look for it, only to find it gone.

�Sent from a larger than life device. Using Tapatalk�
    04-19-14 08:53 AM
    For having Sony Xperia Z tablet and Dell Venue Pro 8, the Internet surfing experience in PlayBook is no longer tolerable... and that includes reading, emailing and/or watching streaming videos...

My PlayBook now is just only for multimedia (music & video player both saved internally) and games purposes... I ended up downloading a lot of premium games and apps in BlackBerry PlayBook's App World...

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-19-14 12:12 PM
    Always on standby . . . . continue using it as intended in the backpack while on the road be it long range or within the city. Sits in the lvg. rm. when home in case a email drops into the inbox of the 1/2 email providers successfully linked (hotmail.com never successful) Or if want to access a site or query something quick vs going up to computer rm to lite up desk' or lap'
    Easier to lite-up than the laptop while on roadtrip, and also 'cause we still can't jusitify min. $500/yr. for cellphone tech'

And never tried again loading up over 1700 tunes 'cause the 1stGenZune is still performing 100%

hasta leugo..
    04-19-14 06:04 PM
    Have one PB (the 64GB one) connected to one of my TVs with an HDMI cord and play plenty of downloaded movies and other videos, using a BT mouse to control the video player.

Occasionally, use that setup (along with a BT keyboard) to compose basic Word docs with the Docs2Go--which has a very limited version of Word, etc.

Use the other PB's stock browser for checking shortwave station info while using my 27-year old Sony multiband receiver. Much more convenient than using one of my laptops.

The PB's stock browser, with Flash and JavaScript disabled, is often peppy enuf for me on sites where I don't need Flash and JavaScript.

When I'm offsite and don't need a laptop's full capabilities, the Playbook's email and web browsing capabilities often suffice. If I don't want to use a public or private WiFi system for connection purposes, I can still use my cell phone provider's data service, while tethering the Playbook to an old Nokia cell phone using a Symbian OS. (Have a Z10 on the way and will be very interested to see if I can use the Z10 as a substitute for that Nokia in this area.)
    jtv1 likes this.
    04-20-14 12:38 AM
    I use mine for school docs when I'm on the go. I Bridge my Q10 with it since my phone has all my pdf and word docs saved onto the sdcard. I study and read notes at school via Adobe and Word, and I play solitaire when I'm waiting around (e.g. car oil change)/traveling.

Posted via CB10
    jtv1 likes this.
    04-20-14 01:24 AM
    All basic things.... Email, calendar, timer, calculator, some light browsing, and most importantly Conqu. That's what I got it for and it still works for me
    neoberry99 and jtv1 like this.
    04-20-14 07:13 PM
    At this time I use my PlayBook as an extension of my phone for things like texting with a nicer screen and quick searching on the net.

However future plans involve having a driver log book and all my documents within easy access on it. Yes they want actual copies available, but they are usually fine just looking at a screen.

I am also looking at ways I can use it with my artwork (artist isn't in my name for no reason at all) to promote NY work to galleries. However I don't want any digital copy available people can steal. I have worked to hard for that.
    jtv1 and kdeckels like this.
    04-21-14 12:30 AM
    Got it with me all day at work, mainly to track my hours, using just a plain diary application (I'd be lost without), and to keep and read pdf manuals for various equipment, as well as researching unfamiliar equipment via the web (the seven inches is just, barely, enough to comfortably read on, without too much scrolling around a tiny viewport, whilst still just, barely, small enough to fit into most large pockets -- a fine balance; shave off one third of the bezel all the way around (keep it, and keep its width uniform), and it'll be perfect. Comfortable physical balance and keyboard touch area dimensions, whilst in landscape, too.), but the camera gets its fair amount of use, for "notetaking", as do the spreadsheet and word processor.

It has also taken over handling all my email, and few days go by without seeing a need to break out the calculator (EDIT: love its history buffer), whose unit converter has saved the day once or twice, as well.

The GPS is a valueable bonus, for those rare occasion I need it to find a work location, as is the entertainment factor - usually listening to downloaded shows from twit.tv whilst driving (got a perfect little open compartment in the dash, that is just the right size to swallow the PlayBook and serve as a directed sound box for the PB's own, already strong, audio, sparing me the admittedly minor hassle of hooking up to the car radio via Bluetooth).
    jtv1 likes this.
    04-21-14 02:19 AM
    With Att FINALLY dropping 10.2 on me, and with the pull of the sim and reloading blackberry bridge, my PlayBook is BACK! No more searching for wifi!!! 4g from my Z10 like it was on my old legacy device.
    And no, I couldn't take a chance on downloading a leak and having this sooner. Work and family demand my phone works at all times. No room for bricking my phone.

It's back to my daily web surf device and jotting down meeting notes. Anyone know where I can find another one moth balled for when I wear this one out? ...IF the rumors of them making another don't pan out. Lol
    Rodojo likes this.
    04-21-14 11:09 AM
    Primarily I use mine daily in bed to watch media streaming through Plex.

I wish we had a smoother version of the app on the playbook, but it works!

I don't do much else other then the occasional games. Web browsing is so slow compared to my bb10....

Posted via CB10
    04-21-14 11:15 AM
    Ps, I do also remote desktop to my home server and run Citrix apps through my pb as well. Both work flawlessly.

Posted via CB10
    jtv1 likes this.
    04-21-14 11:16 AM
    BISing it up everywhere

Mainly surfing and Deezer, I wanted it to be my mainly social & media hub and office functions as a sideline but BB pulled BB10 or anything remotely that made my PB a media hub...such potential.
    04-21-14 11:32 AM
    Same use as in 2013 and 2012.

E-mails and web browsing when I am at home.
    ebook reader, watching ripped DVDs and the occasional video chat when I am away from home.
    Working on documents and spreadsheets when I can't be bothered to get the laptop out of its bag.
    jtv1 likes this.
    04-21-14 12:07 PM
    Just bought 2 brand new 64gb Playbooks from Amazon.ca for $400 including tax and shipping, one for daughter and one for spouse (I've had my 64gb PB for about 2 years). Daughter will use hers exclusively as media player and has loaded it with 16gb of music and 40gb of video. Spouse is a little more adventurous and has an assortment of games, music and books. Looks like it might become the reader of choice for her. Me, I use it for everything, reading, web browsing, etc but primarily for DLNA streaming video while I'm on the treadmill or the exercise bike. Also it's great for using Slacker or Songza through the Panasonic Bluetooth soundbar. And I just picked up a Blackberry Music Gateway to allow similar streaming to my home audio system using both wifi or NFC with the Z10. Am I a Blackberry fan? Say what?
    04-21-14 08:10 PM
    Converted my favourite tablet a 60$ / 64Gb refurbished playbook in scientific tablet
    Use Feedly via gReader (android sideload) to read latest article updates of favourite journals
    Use Hootsuite (android sideload) to push interesting articles in Linkedin and Tweeter
    Use Colwiz (android sideload) to manage bibliography (w/ PDF) and annotate articles PDF
    Use (Evernote or) Wiznote (android sideload each) as project notebook with syncing ability, wiznote more reactive than evernote
    Use qPDF to annotate PDF not in colwiz such as textbook

Any scientist (PhD student, PhD...) to complete this list ?
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    08-08-14 01:36 PM
    I'm using my PlayBook now designing the next rover that will land and explore Pluto... sorry couldn't tell you what software that is and still run in BlackBerry PlayBook for confidentiality reason...

Posted via CB10
    jtv1 likes this.
    08-09-14 02:39 AM
    I regularly use my BlackBerry PlayBook for my media purposes, although the battery seems to be ageing but I keep the charger near to it. Also, I like to check mails on it in the morning. Works great for watching movies. I'll soon use it for better purpose as I'd be receiving a new laptop so I'd be side loading.
    I still wish if BlackBerry support it would have been heavenly beautiful (still is).

Posted via CB10
    anon7447588 likes this.
    08-09-14 03:19 AM
    i have used my Playbook every day since may 2011, i Browse/ E mail/ use the bridge function with Bold 9900 / internet radio and watch catchup TV, having Flash player support i can access
    many sites that my Android tablet can't, and it goes to desk top not mobile version,
    battery life is very good after over three years use, i use Origami browser some times
    but the stock browser is ok not as fast as Z30, the one thing i miss using other tablets
    is the swipe gestures, the screen quality and sound from twin front facing speakers
    is still better than many tablets, my first choice is playbook to take on the road with Bold 9900 a good combination, i have spare playbooks so will be using them for a while yet, nothing out there to replace it yet. unless Blackberry go full circle and launch playbook 2 ? one can dream.
    JJCC30Hwd and annakiin like this.
    08-09-14 04:55 AM
113 123 ...