I looked at the A/C charger that came with the unit and it's 5 volts / 1.6 amps.

I purchased a 5 volt - 2.amp plug for the car, and using a USB cable plugged it in the lighter and still the unit is not charging.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

jeff
    Last edited by advcomputer; 08-03-11 at 02:44 PM.
    08-03-11 02:41 PM
    I use a rapid charger that I got from Verizon. The chargers at Wal-Mart just don't cut it with my Torch or my PlayBook.
    08-03-11 02:58 PM
    The charger which came with the unit is plugged into a DC/AC inverter in my car. Works like a champ. Got the inverter from Radio Shack for a few dollars.
    08-03-11 03:39 PM
    I picked up a small USB plug at Walmart and I use a BlackBerry USB cable. It works but I don't charge it in the car very often.
    08-03-11 03:47 PM
    I bought the car/travel charger accessory (for testing Battery Guru, not because I really needed it) and it works well. Oddly enough, however, it comes with two slightly different USB cables. One works fine, the other is of no use with the PlayBook. The included instructions make it clear that's to be expected, but although the two look physically identical (at a quick glance) on both connectors, they clearly are different in some critical way. Possibly that's the same issue with just hooking up some random non-BB charger and USB cable?
    08-03-11 04:40 PM
    I've used a Blackberry car charger on one occasion to charge my Playbook. It took a few hours, but eventually it did the job...
    08-03-11 04:42 PM
    I looked at the A/C charger that came with the unit and it's 5 volts / 1.6 amps.

I purchased a 5 volt - 2.amp plug for the car, and using a USB cable plugged it in the lighter and still the unit is not charging.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

jeff
    You will need to get a "charging" micro USB cable. The AT&T store sells those for ~$10. It looks like the cable you're using is primarily for data transfer.
    08-03-11 05:43 PM
    The best way to charge any device in a car is to invest in a good DC/110VAC inverter. Then you can just use wall chargers for ANY device, you will never have to buy a car charger ever again.
    08-03-11 06:09 PM
    I use an inverter...picked up an extra high capacity playbook charger on ebay for 18$
    08-03-11 06:10 PM
    Hipstreet makes a car charging kit for the PB trhough I can't find any specs on the voltage or amperage of it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-11 06:33 PM
    Guys,

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

-Jeff
    08-03-11 07:18 PM
    Another suggestion/use is my iGo charger. While I bought it for tmy BB, it uses the same mircoUSB as the PB, no difference and charges well.
    08-03-11 08:54 PM
    i use my phone charger when the PB needs to be topped off in the car - the trick is to turn the PB off while charging this way. otherwise, with the lower powered chargers, your PB could be consuming power just as fast (if not faster) as you are charging it.

yes, inverters are the sure-fire way - but they're big/bulky. i like my car setup to be free from as many visible components as possible.
    08-03-11 10:47 PM
    i use my phone charger when the PB needs to be topped off in the car - the trick is to turn the PB off while charging this way. otherwise, with the lower powered chargers, your PB could be consuming power just as fast (if not faster) as you are charging it.

yes, inverters are the sure-fire way - but they're big/bulky. i like my car setup to be free from as many visible components as possible.
    Amen!

I went as far as ordering parts for Honda Ridgeline (38520-SHJ-A61ZB) and installed it in my center console. It was well worth the expense and the time it took to wire everything together. Nothing is visible and I don't need to worry about my PB flying off the passenger seat should I need to slam on the brakes or sweep through esses at a quick pace.
    08-04-11 07:34 AM
    i use a cheap $8 made in china charger with a bb logo sticker that disappeared already, it works quite nicely on both bold 9700 and pb
    08-04-11 11:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD