So, without having to dissect every post to its simplest form, the PB can be used as an e-reader, then? Fine, I really didn't buy a PB for and as an e-reader...if I want to read a book, I buy hard copies and add to my personal library in my home office. Barring a major house fire, my whole life is not tied up in little electronic gadgets, that, if I lose, I lose everything about me, what's in those gadgets, etc.

Frankly, I really don't see why some just have to compare the PB with all the new e-book platforms; the PB is a ultra portable computer, and e-books are not.
    11-29-11 07:50 AM
    As you will. I switched away from hard copy books to ebooks when I saw many friends lose their entire collection of books due to flooding. I can grab a portable drive, my laptop and my Playbook and have my entire music, video and book collection with me. To each his own.
    Roscopcoletrain likes this.
    11-29-11 07:58 AM
    The flip side of that is with cloud syncing, barring a major house fire, if you did loose those gadgets, everything can be backed up to the cloud and can be accessed on new gadgets

And yes, Playbok makes a great e reader
    11-29-11 08:01 AM
    True. Dropbox is great!
    11-29-11 08:14 AM
    As per

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...E&toomany=true

the Android application can be converted to Playbook format.
    cscott44 likes this.
    11-29-11 06:10 PM
    yes, but if you don't want to load the OS 2 beta, you can just get the Bluebox app in App Word, works great. There are others, too.
    11-29-11 06:45 PM
    Android Overdrive (linked previously) on OS 2.0 Beta works
    flawlessly for me.

It was the reason I tried the Beta in the first place.

I use it with the Calgary Public Library.

If you haven't tried Overdrive before, it works
    seamlessly with the Library website. Taking out a free
    e-book from library while sitting on your couch is pretty
    awesome.
    11-30-11 05:53 PM
    Android Overdrive (linked previously) on OS 2.0 Beta works
    flawlessly for me.

It was the reason I tried the Beta in the first place.

I use it with the Calgary Public Library.

If you haven't tried Overdrive before, it works
    seamlessly with the Library website. Taking out a free
    e-book from library while sitting on your couch is pretty
    awesome.
    That's what I'm using, also with the CPL, and it works like a charm!
    11-30-11 05:56 PM
    question for mdjc stan,

any other os 2 issues? I thought non-developers were discouraged from installing os 2 until February, that's why I've been reluctant to install it.

But if this reader issue is addressed and the rest of it works good, maybe I should upgrade to it. Would all my apps continue to work if I upgraded to os 2?
    11-30-11 06:01 PM
    I followed some of the links on the library site and it is not Adobe Acrobat reader that is needed, but another Adobe reader specific to e-publishing. This is not available on the Playbook yet.
    There are ways to remove the DRM and then read these books on the BlackBerry PlayBook.
    11-30-11 06:17 PM
    There are ways to remove the DRM and then read these books on the BlackBerry PlayBook.
    what level of success have you had with this? Can you share any specifics. Ive no issue with paying for a book, but I would like to be able to read it on whatever device I own.
    11-30-11 06:55 PM
    I've been using Baen for a few years now. Great site. Also they leave the link up and I think you can download later, like say you had a major malfunction, the books are still there, I think. If you do crime Dana Stabenow has a non DRM site for her books too Dana Stabenow | The Official Dana Stabenow Web Site. Her link is only up for 24 hours.
    12-14-11 12:04 AM
    I have successfully used the Kindle Cloud Reader on my playbook's web browser. The only catch is you have to use it in portrait mode only as you can't log-in if the playbook is in landscape. I'm going to go on a limb and say you can use your kindle account to download these .epubs from your local library. Then once attached to your kindle account, log in and read from your playbook's browser.

To point your browser to the cloud reader, just google "Kindle Cloud Reader" and it is the first hit...log in and enjoy!

Send me feedback about libraries and Kindle accounts.
    12-14-11 12:14 AM
    kindle android app on os2 works great
    12-14-11 02:26 AM
    Thank you for the Dana Stabenow link! I had not heard of her before. I, to, am able to use the Kindle Cloud Reader, but you have to have a wifi connection. Had not thought of using it to access library books.
    12-14-11 07:19 AM
    I am a little late to this thread but I have no problem downloading and reading e-books from the library system in british columbia. Adobe reader will allow you to read any book downloaded in bc so not sure why it would not work elsewhere. Now adobe reader is not overly flexible but it works fine. My only complaint is I can't bookmark my last spot and have to open up the book and use the arrow bar to quickly find my page. Not a big deal but it would be nice to see it more functional like Adobe digital editions is on my laptop. So, long and short, no reason why PB can't be used as an e-reader. Also check out pirate bay for many non-DRM titles. Great source for e-books among other on line media.
    12-14-11 08:30 AM
    The issue is that many libraries use DRM encrypted books. a lot of these are in epub format. even if they were in pdf, if they are encrypted, the Adobe pdf reader in the PB wotn be able to read them. Before there were any epub readers for the PB I was using the pdf reader to read books. Id use a note app to record my page since the stupid pdf reader does nt have bookmarks.
    12-14-11 08:41 AM
    The issue is that many libraries use DRM encrypted books. a lot of these are in epub format. even if they were in pdf, if they are encrypted, the Adobe pdf reader in the PB wotn be able to read them. Before there were any epub readers for the PB I was using the pdf reader to read books. Id use a note app to record my page since the stupid pdf reader does nt have bookmarks.
    I am no fan of Digital "Rights" Management (DRM). But, why in Hades has Adobe not released a version of Adobe Digital Editions for the BlackBerry PlayBook. After all, Adobe was touted as a premier partner of Research In Motion for the tablet initiative. If February 2012 turns out to be another **-hum month I trust the shareholders will rip to shreds the Clueless Ennui Operatives (CEO) duo.
    12-14-11 08:57 AM
    I am no fan of Digital "Rights" Management (DRM). But, why in Hades has Adobe not released a version of Adobe Digital Editions for the BlackBerry PlayBook. After all, Adobe was touted as a premier partner of Research In Motion for the tablet initiative. If February 2012 turns out to be another **-hum month I trust the shareholders will rip to shreds the Clueless Ennui Operatives (CEO) duo.
    I agree. Just about everyone (well, except Amazon) will sell you an encrypted epub that you can read with Digital Editions. Yes, we ought to have this on the Playbook. My guess is that RIM is going to disappoint a lot of us in February. The hardware on the PB is so excellent it is a joy to use. WHY must we be saddled with such lackluster software?
    12-14-11 09:47 AM
    I'm using Amazon cloud to read Kindle books. Amazon and Kindle should be around for a whereas Kobo seems risky since Borders went out of business.

The Amazon cloud allows you to buy Kindle books and download them to your Playbook. A word of wisdom, be sure to turn your Playbook to portrait when you open your library. For some reason, landscape does not work until after books are open.

Adobe Digital Edition and Overdrive are available for some Blackberrys but not the Playbook. Calibre will open epub files only if they are not DRM protected. Media checked out from libraries are DRM protected. ADE and Overdrive unlock library media and work well with my Macbook and iPhone... but neither have Playbook versions.

I've tried opening in ADE and then transferring to Kobo and Blackberry desktop managers. No-can-do. Supposedly if you have a compatible e-reader, ADE will recognize the device and create a "bookshelf" for easy transferring. Since the Playbook is not a compatible device (yet), this feature is not available.

Hopefully, the 2.0 version due in early 2012 will encourage developers to bridge the Playbook app gap. It's a pretty huge gap so I hope the apps will soon flow.
    JELLOMAN99 likes this.
    12-30-11 06:00 PM
    I was able to easily download a Kindle ebook from the library today. It went to my Amazon cloud library without any problem.

Adobe epub files, both digital and pdf, still required Adobe Digital Edition or Overdrive to unlock. I've yet to find a way to transfer to my Playbook.
    12-30-11 06:07 PM
    Another issue with the cloud reader is that, even if you read off line, you have to have a wifi connection or the PB won't run the browser. My understanding is that we will be able to run Androd apps in OS 2, so the Android Kindle and Overdrive ought to run. What I'll never understand is why RIM got in bed with Kobo, and why there isn't aa Adobe Digital Editions app for the PB. Meanwhile, Baen Books continues to sell (and even give away) non encrypted ebooks that open just fine on my PB!
    12-30-11 07:03 PM
    Another issue with the cloud reader is that, even if you read off line, you have to have a wifi connection or the PB won't run the browser. My understanding is that we will be able to run Androd apps in OS 2, so the Android Kindle and Overdrive ought to run. What I'll never understand is why RIM got in bed with Kobo, and why there isn't aa Adobe Digital Editions app for the PB. Meanwhile, Baen Books continues to sell (and even give away) non encrypted ebooks that open just fine on my PB!
    It's just my speculation, but I imagine that the fact that both Kobo and Rim are Canadian had something to do with it. That said, the Kobo app makes for a dreadful ereading experience.

For the bulk of my reading I use my Sony PRS-650 e-reader. I did, however download Book Reader for my Playbook. I also downloaded the complete works of Beatrix Potter to read to my granddaughter. While my eyes would go wonky if I tried to read for an extended period of time, it's wonderful for books with pictures/illustrations.
    12-30-11 07:34 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD