Hello,
    I am very new to the forum and new to the Playbook. Purchased one two days ago and find myself frustrated and hoping someone can assist me. I want to use it as an e-reader and download books from my local library. I have pasted the link below in case it is helpful.

Prince Edward Island Public Library Service

I have attempted to download the "overdrive" program which from my library site advised was compatible to Blackberry. However, after doing so, it says that there is no recognized app for it. I am guessing it is only compatible with Blackberry smart phones (which I do not have) Tried downloading the Book Reader app as noted in other threads but every book I attempted to download is not in the supported format. Called Blackberry support this morning and was told to use the Adobe Reader but when I open it, I can't find my files and can't open anything.

I am sure this is a straightforward way to solve this issue as it appears many people like me, want to, and do use this as an e-reader. I admit I am no longer tech savvy so I would appreciate any assistance you might have.

Many thanks in advance.
    Susanne
    11-24-11 02:22 PM
    when you downloaded the books from the library, what format are they in?
    11-24-11 02:48 PM
    looks like you can download the books as epubs from that site. there are a few epub readers in app world - Book Reader is a popular one and is updated often. it'lldo .mobi files too...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-11 02:52 PM
    Overdrive wont work with the PB. You have two choices for reading. To purchase books, use the Kobo reader. (sign up for an account). If you have non DRM epub or mobi format books there are several good readers in App World. I like Play Epub and Book Reader. If you have non DRM ebooks in other formats use Calibre to convert them. Good luck and happy T Day!
    Lhendr, mpayne2k and Housefluff like this.
    11-24-11 02:53 PM
    PS: the PB will only read epub books that do NOT use any form of DRM. Books from a library or bookstore are likely to include some form of DRM, sorry.
    Housefluff likes this.
    11-24-11 02:55 PM
    The format from the library are
    Adobe� EPUB eBooks
    Adobe� PDF eBooks
    OverDrive WMA Audiobooks
    OverDrive MP3 Audiobooks

When I spoke with Technical support they advised I could view the Adobe PDF e-books but I haven't figured out how. I have also downloaded the Book Reader and it does not read any of these formats.
    11-24-11 03:04 PM
    Book reader will read epub format IF IT DOES NOT INCLUDE DRM! Books you get from a library are almost certainly going to contain DRM and you are not going to be able to read them on the PB. If you are adventurous, upgrade to the OS 2.0 beta, then find the thread on running the Android player then you can get the Android Overdrive. I've been told this works. I'm not going to mess with a beta, I will wait until the official release of OS 2.0 hopefully in February 2012
    11-24-11 03:33 PM
    PS: If you are a science fiction fan, go here: Baen Books Science Fiction & Fantasy - Home Page they have a LOT of ebooks and do not use any form of DRM
    Housefluff likes this.
    11-24-11 03:34 PM
    sorry ma'm but I have read in this forum before that the PlayBook doesn't work with DRM ebooks. "DRM" stands for "Digital Rights Management".

If you buy your books using the Kobo app, that is the only way to read DRM ebooks on the PlayBook.

I'm also frustrated about this cuz I cannot get at the ebooks from the Calgary Public Library. I looked at the link you posted and found this info about incompatible devices... and the playbook is listed there.

OverDrive – Device Resource Center--Incompatible Devices

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. There is some optimism about this being fixed in February. They have announced that the new OS 2 for the Playbook will be released in February and it will allow us to use the Kindle App which I understand will allow the use of library ebooks with DRM.

I'm sure others more knowledgeable than me can clarify this for you. But I wouldn't recommend installing the OS 2 beta version that is out there right now unless you are a tech expert.
    Housefluff likes this.
    11-24-11 03:38 PM
    I just tried to check out a book and it looks like the download button just downloads a script file for checking out the book. I am on my playbook now and can't try this but, try downloading as a pdf from your pc and then copying that file to the playbook. It may not work as it is a pretty basic Adobe reader on the Playbook and may not support it.
    Housefluff likes this.
    11-24-11 04:03 PM
    PS: If you are a science fiction fan, go here: Baen Books Science Fiction & Fantasy - Home Page they have a LOT of ebooks and do not use any form of DRM
    I am... thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    nextlevel88 likes this.
    11-24-11 05:18 PM
    I followed some of the links on the library site and it is not Adobe Acrobat reader that is needed, but another Adobe reader specific to e-publishing. This is not available on the Playbook yet.
    11-24-11 05:57 PM
    Thank you to everyone who replied. It was very informative (disappointing though) and I really appreciate the time and effort you took to assist me. At least I can now make a more informed choice about whether I will keep the Playbook.
    Again, you have my gratitude.
    Susanne
    11-25-11 07:29 AM
    so far for me and the reason i brought PB was to use my textbook and save money that way.

there are only two app that i notice, kobo books and adobe reader, and all of my files are in PDF and adobe reader seem to be the only app that can open it with no problem.

if there are other apps that read pdf, please let us know
    11-25-11 11:56 AM
    So far there are no other pdf readers for the existing pb and its official OS.

(there is the beta os (features are turned off) which can run some android apps including possible pdf apps)
    rjedge54 likes this.
    11-25-11 01:04 PM
    Thanks for asking the question Housefluff. I happen to know that Santa is bringing me a Playbook for Christmas. I was considering asking for the new Kobo Vox because I want an Ereader. Since I plan on getting the majority of my books from the library and there's not a great selection yet in the genre I like, I wanted something that could do more than be used as an Ereader. Then the price of the Playbook dropped $300 to the same price as the Kobo. Now I'm finding that it's likely I won't be able to read the library books on the Playbook, and I'm disappointed. I had read a few postings on the Blackberry support forums from people who had been able to read library ebooks on their Playbooks, so I'll have to search their solutions again. Hopefully, as Patrick said, the new OS will have a fix for the problem... if I can wait until February. Or I might have to spend $70 at Walmart for a cheap multimedia ereader to tide me over.
    Patrick I'm also a patron of the Calgary Public library.
    11-27-11 02:50 AM
    to answer the question: with difficulty.
    The only downer with PB for me. Also to read newspapers and magazines.
    Last edited by jamesbondOO7; 11-27-11 at 03:17 AM.
    11-27-11 03:14 AM
    "I had read a few postings on the Blackberry support forums from people who had been able to read library ebooks on their Playbooks, so I'll have to search their solutions again. " If you find a solution for this, please share it here! As for magazine and newspapers, get the latest Calibre, they have a built in system that will d/load a LOT of legal mags and papers in pdf format!
    11-27-11 05:56 PM
    Will do wms3, but since I won't have my PB until Christmas to try the solutions, I won't know if they're any good or not. However, I do remember one of them involved using Calibre and treating the PB as a flash drive basically, just copying the book file to it and converting somehow. I think that's what the person was talking about. I don't know if that's possible or not, I sure hope it is. Or like I said, I'll shell out the $70 at Walmart to tide me over for the few books from the library.
    11-27-11 07:41 PM
    If you can actually download a file and it does not have DRM protection then Calibre can convert it to epub or mobi or pdf, all of which can be read by various PB Apps. But most library books are protected by DRM and Calibre wil return an error of you try to convert them. Ive heard there are plug-ins for Calibre that will allow it to remove DRM but I don't know any details. Best of luck!
    11-27-11 07:58 PM
    kobo reader is the only ebook-reader available for the playbook,so if your ebook format don't compatible to kobo,you can't download
    11-29-11 01:53 AM
    kobo reader is the only ebook-reader available for the playbook,so if your ebook format don't compatible to kobo,you can't download
    Not true. There are at least four ebook readers in app world. All do epub and one does non drm mobi files too...??
    11-29-11 05:09 AM
    To clarify: Kobo is the only reader that can handle DRM encrypted ebooks. You must buy said books from the Kobo store. You cant access other ebooks with the Kobo reader. The various readers available in App World will only read non-DRM encrypted epub or mobi format ebooks.
    11-29-11 07:08 AM
    You can turn your pdfs to epub by converting the file using pdftoepub. Then you can read your books in Book Reader. Works great.
    11-29-11 07:37 AM
    Or you can use Calibre to go from just about any format to any other format. the limitation being that the files must not have DRM
    11-29-11 07:43 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD