I have a 64 gig PlayBook bridged to my Torch 9800, only wifi, no simcard, about 3 months old. I will receive another one in a day or two. I want to video chat between the two. My wife is going to China for a couple of months and it would be nice for her to have one with her. She will need to get or take a router for wifi in the house, what speed is required for video chat?
    She had a BB Pearl for a couple of months several years ago so she may or may not have a BB account. I have never knowingly set up my BBM account but I don't think that is rocket science. I assume (always dangerous) that I would need one to pull this off.

How do I set this up?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    I don't know if this matters, but I am in the US.
    08-21-13 12:34 AM
    23 views and no help? jeez! well first thing when the wife gets her BB PB she will need to set up a BB ID account and then all you/she has to do is add you/her to the contacts and then you guys can chat away, as for the speed it doesn't require a FAST speed to have good buffering and smooth video but a 56k won't be good either LOL not that difficult really...
    dazzleaj and StanWiz like this.
    08-21-13 01:12 AM
    Exactly what beman said.... the videochat on your playbook is specifically for that
    dazzleaj likes this.
    08-21-13 01:22 AM
    The following is what I gleaned a few months ago from the forums here, attempting to do similar things.

First, video chat is wifi to wifi, so the phones you have don't matter. I do not know what speed is required on the wifi, as I haven't completed an end-to-end check.

You already have a BlackBerry ID (BBID) set up for your first playbook, and I would suggest that you use the same one for the second one when it arrives. You can copy the same apps on both devices that way, for a single purchase price. That will limit how you connect via video chat, but I don't think it will affect you much at all.

By using the same BBID, you will communicate between the two units based on their PINs, but ONLY if they are on different networks. To try them before she leaves will require you to find different networks.

You can set them up with different BBIDs, and then you can use the same network, however you will each have to buy your apps separately.

I hope this helps you, and if I am in error, I am sure that someone here will chime in; this is a good group of folks here!

Dan
    08-21-13 01:39 AM
    I have a 64 gig PlayBook bridged to my Torch 9800, only wifi, no simcard, about 3 months old. I will receive another one in a day or two. I want to video chat between the two. My wife is going to China for a couple of months and it would be nice for her to have one with her. She will need to get or take a router for wifi in the house, what speed is required for video chat?
    She had a BB Pearl for a couple of months several years ago so she may or may not have a BB account. I have never knowingly set up my BBM account but I don't think that is rocket science. I assume (always dangerous) that I would need one to pull this off.

How do I set this up?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    I don't know if this matters, but I am in the US.
    Forget your handsets for a start off. They have no bearing at the moment on what you are trying to achieve neither does what carrier you are with.

1. You have a pb and must have a bb ID or it wouldn't work as it should. If you have not got one (somehow) then just register (free) and get a bb ID!
    2. Your wife must also have a pb and register her for a bb ID that is NOT the same as yours!
    3. You must have her setup in your contacts including her PIN code!
    4. Your wife must have you setup in her contacts including your PIN code!

If you have followed these steps you will see an additional field (entry) appear in your wife's contact file labeled "pb video chat". She will also see the same field (entry) appear in your contact file on her pb. All you need now is to have both pb's connected to a wifi network, (same one or one the other side of the world) and your video chatting to her?

The only time your handsets will be used is if you want to video chat over the mobile network. Then it becomes dependent on which bb handset you have and which carrier your with? Here in the UK my wife is on Vodafone who do support video calling and I'm on O2 who don't. We can still video chat over wifi? I suggest you forget handset video chat!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and it is a good way of doing what you desire.

Bye
    Last edited by sad_old_man; 08-21-13 at 08:53 AM.
    08-21-13 08:35 AM
    If you don't have the BlackBerry ID # the email address attached to the BlackBerry ID will work also.
    sad_old_man and dazzleaj like this.
    08-21-13 08:54 AM
    If you don't have the BlackBerry ID # the email address attached to the BlackBerry ID will work also.
    How can you attach some to something that doesn't exist? Duck I'm gonna short you right between the eyes!
    dazzleaj likes this.
    08-21-13 08:56 AM
    How can you attach some to something that doesn't exist? Duck I'm gonna short you right between the eyes!
    I meant after they signed up for a BlackBerry ID and didn't know the pin#. The email address they put in will allow them to call another playbook.
    dazzleaj and sad_old_man like this.
    08-21-13 12:24 PM
    Thanks for all the help.

Just got it. Will set about the task this evening.

Seems to be pretty much what I found under the "help" on the PlayBook. Sometimes things don't go as easily as they should, so it is always good to get the "skinny" from someone who actually has done it.

"You can copy the same apps on both devices that way, for a single purchase price" as per cmdr_dan above.

Didn't consider the app transfer thing though, good idea but I only have paid for Advanced Camera and one other app (can't recall what it is at the moment). If I do this, can I change from my BB ID to hers and still keep the apps or will they disappear? It would save me a bit of time just to clone mine and then rename hers. I assume (always a bad idea) that I cant just do a restore on hers from my desk top backup to save time? I know I am howling at the moon but, hey, a guy can hope can't he?

Thanks

AJ
    sad_old_man and dphjeff like this.
    08-21-13 01:18 PM
    If you only have a few apps, it will be easier to set them up with separate BBIDs, which would allow you the maximum flexibility. To change BBIDs requires wiping the device and losing everything on it.
    sad_old_man and yellowhammer like this.
    08-21-13 01:24 PM
    If you only have a few apps, it will be easier to set them up with separate BBIDs, which would allow you the maximum flexibility. To change BBIDs requires wiping the device and losing everything on it.
    Thought so.
    Thanks.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-21-13 04:00 PM
    yea disregard who ever said use the same BB ID as you will run into trouble down the line, just have the wife put her own BB id and if your concerned about apps then all you have to do is side load apps onto your PB and it's so easy to do! and if you have the same BB ID and you try to contact each other on the same router (like say in your house) then it won't work, so lets say your sick and you need the wife to bring you medication and try to contact her down stairs VIA PB video chat you wont be able to because your both using the same BB ID and then you'll suffer from your cold! LOL well that's what I did true story btw lmao
    dphjeff likes this.
    08-21-13 04:50 PM
    yea disregard who ever said use the same BB ID as you will run into trouble down the line, just have the wife put her own BB id and if your concerned about apps then all you have to do is side load apps onto your PB and it's so easy to do! and if you have the same BB ID and you try to contact each other on the same router (like say in your house) then it won't work, so lets say your sick and you need the wife to bring you medication and try to contact her down stairs VIA PB video chat you wont be able to because your both using the same BB ID and then you'll suffer from your cold! LOL well that's what I did true story btw lmao
    The voice of experience is always worth listening to!

The wife has said that she doesn't want me to clutter up Her PlayBook with my apps! I guess I should have seen that coming....
    Raised 3 daughters and had 2 wives, what was I thinking..... Bang head.... Bang head.... Bang head
    08-21-13 09:00 PM
    The voice of experience is always worth listening to!

The wife has said that she doesn't want me to clutter up Her PlayBook with my apps! I guess I should have seen that coming....
    Raised 3 daughters and had 2 wives, what was I thinking..... Bang head.... Bang head.... Bang head
    Good thing you have that horn on top of your head. We wouldn't want to see you to get brain damage.
    08-21-13 09:47 PM
    Good thing you have that horn on top of your head. We wouldn't want to see you to get brain damage.
    One could easily argue that I am long past that point
    08-21-13 09:53 PM
    One could easily argue that I am long past that point
    I'm right there with you.
    dazzleaj and sad_old_man like this.
    08-21-13 09:57 PM
    I know how to make two play books have an argument, Turn em on and put them together screen to screen They go barmy. No guarantees they won't kill each other, try it at your own risk.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-22-13 04:35 AM
    Set the mood: provocative clothing, turn the lights down, a drink or two might speed things up. Maybe some Marvin Gaye playing softly in the backgound...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-22-13 06:08 AM
    Set the mood: provocative clothing, turn the lights down, a drink or two might speed things up. Maybe some Marvin Gaye playing softly in the backgound...
    Brandy or bourbon?
    Carl Estes and dphjeff like this.
    08-22-13 07:24 AM
    Is that how little Z10s are made
    08-22-13 08:17 AM
    Is that how little Z10s are made
    I don't think so. Without the bridge, they have been neutered.

More to the point, were you successful in getting them communicating?
    Carl Estes, sad_old_man and FF22 like this.
    08-22-13 05:49 PM
    I don't think so. Without the bridge, they have been neutered.

More to the point, were you successful in getting them communicating?
    Actually, no.
    The new one won't power up.
    Out of the box nothing at all happened when the power button was pushed.
    OK must need charging, my first PB didn't, the instructions say just power it on but hey, this is the New more customer centered BB (read sarcasm) so what the heck. I put it on my old charger, 3 pin magnetic connection, and just for giggles, tried the power button. Long red followed by 3 green short. Let it set an hour, same red but 5 green that time; and every time since.
    Maybe a call to customer service is next. I don't know if trying to jump start it is a wise decision. If it is DOA, there may be an internal battery drain issue that I would be better served to just to be rid of.
    Anyone else ever heard of a DOA PB?
    Suggestions?

Thanks
    AJ
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-22-13 11:48 PM
    ok so what happened is your battery died all the way which isn't good, there is a way to get it up and running but I can't remember the name of the thread but I'm sure someone else will chime in but I think its called "stack charging" the battery or something like that just do a search
    08-24-13 10:18 AM
    ok so what happened is your battery died all the way which isn't good, there is a way to get it up and running but I can't remember the name of the thread but I'm sure someone else will chime in but I think its called "stack charging" the battery or something like that just do a search
    Is this the one you were talking about? F2 explains how to charge the PlayBook.
    Attached Thumbnails How do I get two PlayBooks to talk to each other?-img_00000353.jpg  
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-24-13 11:54 AM
    I prefer the dim lights, music and drink myself!
    Carl Estes likes this.
    08-24-13 12:00 PM
46 12