I have just downloaded some files (overdrive - Epub files if I remember) from the library to my Playbook, but I don't know where they are stored?
    Also, I am used to a PC where I can change the type of program to open up certain files. When I tried to open up the EPUB files originally, it told me there wasn't a program able to open them but it did not give me an option to pick a different program.
    01-02-12 06:51 PM
    on the PB open up the browser. Swipe down from the top and tap downloads. As for your PC highlight the file, right click and choose open with
    01-02-12 07:03 PM
    Tried that and it tell me there are no active download. I shut off my PB earlier after I had downloaded them - and now they are NOT there.
    Last edited by netrate; 01-02-12 at 07:18 PM.
    01-02-12 07:09 PM
    download a file manager like 'Air Browser' and you explore the files on your playbook... i am sure there are others, but Air Browser is pretty good and free
    Hgouck and Lhendr like this.
    01-02-12 07:10 PM
    download a file manager like 'Air Browser' and you explore the files on your playbook... i am sure there are others, but Air Browser is pretty good and free
    +1 I was just about to post this. If you have questions on how to use it just ask
    01-02-12 07:18 PM
    Is the AIR BROWSER an app?
    01-02-12 07:20 PM
    yep .. one of the first I installed back when I un-boxed my PB..
    01-02-12 07:22 PM
    Ok, I have installed it. Found the files, but still can't do anything with them . They are ACSM from the Ontario library. They are under Downloads and the icon has a " ? " in it (obviously it doesn't know which file type they are). If I click on them in AIR, it lets me compress, delete, and the UNSUPPORTED FILE is in grey. I am really not sure where to go from here...
    Last edited by netrate; 01-02-12 at 07:48 PM.
    01-02-12 07:26 PM
    Ok, I have installed it. Found the files, but still can't do anything with them . They are ACSM from the Ontario library. They are under Downloads and the icon has a " ? " in it (obviously it doesn't know which file type they are). If I click on them in AIR, it lets me compress, delete, and the UNSUPPORTED FILE is in grey. I am really not sure where to go from here...
    I have always used Adobe Digital Editions to read these files on my desktop computer. In order to load them on the PB you have to find the DRM protected ePub files that are generated by ADE and convert them to non-DRM ePub files.

These can be read by various third-party ePub readers available for the PB. I strip the DRM by using Calibre with the available conversion plugin. I then copy the files to the PB. I you search the forum you can find several threads on this topic.

It sounds pretty complicated but it's the only way to handle DRM protected ePub files at the current time. Someday Overdrive may be available for the PB but until then we must use a workaround.

Some people (I hear) have been successful in using the Android version of Overdrive loaded into the developers' beta OS2 but I am not an expert on this subject.
    01-02-12 08:27 PM
    The ACSM files are actually not a book file or format. They are a token that is used by the epub reader (Adobe generally) to actually go online and get the book. The book will most likely be copy protected (drm) and you would need to break that first. I do not believe that the pb has any ability to use any of the files mentioned unless you strip the drm and copy it over and use 3rd party readers - unless you convert the book to pdf and use the native adobe reader.
    01-02-12 09:21 PM
    I guess I will have to go the PC route - but how do you prevent viruses being ported over from the PC to the PB? Almost all PC's have viruses on them, most you can't see. I don't want to bring something to my PB...
    01-02-12 11:08 PM
    I guess I will have to go the PC route - but how do you prevent viruses being ported over from the PC to the PB? Almost all PC's have viruses on them, most you can't see. I don't want to bring something to my PB...
    Seriously? Do we even need to answer this question? Oh, my! The read a DRM ebook, launch Adobe Digital Editions, open the ACSM file within ADE, download the actual ebook content, and exit ADE. Use a third-party DRM removal utility and then copy the DRM-free ebook to the tablet. Read the ebook using Book Reader. There are no Microsoft Windows viruses capable of infecting the BlackBerry PlayBook. If this is too complicated, return the BlackBerry PlayBook and buy a Fisher-Price tablet. But yeah, Adobe should have released Adobe Digital Editions for the BlackBerry PlayBook but as usual the geniuses within Research In Motion failed.
    01-03-12 06:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD