I downloaded the updated OS after reading about the improvements made to the android player, but was wondering how I download android apps to my Playbook? I've never done it before. Will ALL android apps work on my playbook?

I searched for the answer, or a walk-through, but didn't have much luck. Any help would be really appreciated.
    10-04-12 03:54 PM
    Two ways. 1. Sideload to the Playbook. 2. The app developer will need to port to the Playbook.

And no, they will only be available through one of those two ways. YOu can't go to the Play store to download them.
    10-04-12 04:00 PM
    You download the apps from App World, and yes they will work. They're just apps in BlackBerry App World, there is no separate marketplace for them. Only apps that Android developers have submitted to App World will be available. eg: Everything from the Google Play Store is not going to be available. You can also venture into sideloading the apps you want, but given this is your first run at it probably best to understand how it works before you move onto advanced stuff.
    10-04-12 04:01 PM
    Most android apps will not work on the PB. Of the ones that do, many are available in Blackberry app world (though they're not identified as such) and the others need to be sideloaded. See the Sideloading sub-forum for more info.
    10-04-12 04:05 PM
    Step 1. Get an android .apk (app file). These you can get from your own backups, around the net, or places such as good-e-reader (which also has pre-converted android apps as playbook .bar files for sideloading).

Step 2. Convert the .apk file. Number of ways you can do this, including asking on the CB forums. I prefer to use the online (and fast) PlayBook .apk to .bar converter Either way your apk files need to become .bar files.

Step 3. Select if you're going to install through USB cable using a windows machines & DDPB, or ota through wifi using the Chrome/Firefox PB App Manager plugin: PlayBook App Manager

Step 4. Make sure under options in your PB you turn Development Mode on. If you use the Chrome Manager you will need to note your IP address (click on the Dev Mode icon on the main PB screen & it tells you this)

Step 5. Open your chosen method (DDPB or Chrom PB App Manager).

Step 6. Drag the .bar file onto your programme & select install.

Step 7. Wait whilst your converted apk is gracefully installed onto your PB.

As others denote not all android apps work. A great number do & generally good-e-reader is a reliable place for apps that work post conversion. For other apps it is a stab in the dark, however whilst it isn't perfect most common apps work fine & a I always state the PB is the only tablet with a native VM to run integrated apps from another mobile os.

Hope this helps. It is fun sideloading imo!
    destiny plays and andy957 like this.
    10-04-12 04:15 PM
    Thanks for all the posts everyone! Two final questions...

1. You can't install a .apk on the playbook, correct? It has to be converted to a .bar first?

2. I'd like to try to convert this Control 4 app ( http://control4.com/residential/products/myhome/ ) to run on my playbook. Is there a way to download the .apk file from here? It looks like it's available from the google store

Thanks again for all the help everyone!
    10-05-12 01:58 AM
    No you can't directly install an apk on playbook. It must be converted to .bar first - use the converter I've listed, takes seconds.

In terms of locating the file just literally put the name of the app plus .apk into google, i'm sure you'll find it. There are hundreds of sites to download .apks from.
    10-05-12 09:59 AM
    I have a few questions for you guys:

1) How can you be sure that the apk file hasnt been toyed with? It seems to me that doing some mobile banking with someone's custom version of an andriod app isn't very safe lol. I'm sure there are failsafes in place but can they be trusted?

2) Obviously downloading it directly from google would be best. Is this possible if you don't have an Android device (without having to go to a friend to download them for you)?

3) What if the app you're looking for isnt available outside of the google play store?

4) Is there a specific format of the apk file we should try to get as a first option. In other words, is an Android phone apk file just as compatible as an Android tablet apk file?
    02-06-13 10:47 PM
    I have a few questions for you guys:

1) How can you be sure that the apk file hasnt been toyed with? It seems to me that doing some mobile banking with someone's custom version of an andriod app isn't very safe lol. I'm sure there are failsafes in place but can they be trusted?

2) Obviously downloading it directly from google would be best. Is this possible if you don't have an Android device (without having to go to a friend to download them for you)?

3) What if the app you're looking for isnt available outside of the google play store?

4) Is there a specific format of the apk file we should try to get as a first option. In other words, is an Android phone apk file just as compatible as an Android tablet apk file?
    1. You cannot. The bar is just a wrapper, an icon an metadata.If you find a bar-apk in the wild, you can extract the apk inside and compare md5/sha of both for validity.

2. Some free apks at 1mobile.com, or use Blue stacks emulator to dl from Play.

4. Apk for Android 2.2.

Use the sideloading section of the forum for better results
    02-07-13 07:46 AM
    I have tried both the google extension and the DDPB and can not get the apps to work. I see the icon and tap it but nothing happens. What am I doing wrong. I have only had the Z10 for a few days and am having serious app withdrawl!!!
    09-12-13 06:42 PM
    if you are doing this on a z10 you are in the wrong thread. If on playbook ..... you will find most droid sideloads don't work
    09-12-13 06:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD