I have put together a bunch of pictures from when my friends and I went on holiday recently and transferred them to my PlayBook.

However, when I am viewing them, some of the pictures are upside-down (or sideways) due to the camera phone being held incorrectly while taking the pictures. I can't find a way to correct the orientation of the picture so that when I am scrolling through the pictures, I wouldn't have to keep turning the PlayBook on its side (and enable orientation lock).

If I view the same pictures on my laptop, I wouldn't have to turn the laptop on its side to view the pictures correctly. So how do I make this happen on my PlayBook?
    12-30-11 05:36 PM
    Install a free editing app like Touchup Lite (or the full paid version).
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-30-11 05:47 PM
    ive been wondering the same thing but i dont think we can. maybe it will be fixed in OS 2.0??? maybe open the pics on your laptop and save then when they are at the proper orientation.
    Richard Foxall likes this.
    12-30-11 05:48 PM
    Install a free editing app like Touchup Lite (or the full paid version).
    Thanks so much for the tip. However, it still doesn't work.

When I open the file to edit in Touchup Lite, the image is correctly orientated. So I press save and when I look at the pictures, the orientation is still incorrect.

Even if I open the PlayBook's network drive and view the pictures from there, the orientation is correct. Which suggests that the file is saved correctly.

Any other ideas I can try?
    12-30-11 06:07 PM
    ive been wondering the same thing but i dont think we can. maybe it will be fixed in OS 2.0??? maybe open the pics on your laptop and save then when they are at the proper orientation.
    Thanks for the advice. However, even that didn't work. Have you tried doing that on your PlayBook? And did it work?
    12-30-11 06:11 PM
    I just checked my albums and I prefer HORIZONTAL but I do have a few vertical oriented pics. They seem to show properly.

You could try using irfanview. It has a lossless plugin that rotates pictures. You could force a rotation and see if they then display properly. While I can see your point, the images are reduced in scale if show in portrait while the pb is horizontal. Warning - the plugin, I believe, will overwrite your original image so only try it on a copy!!!!!!

Actually, when the playbook first shipped, it would not rotate into portrait view when you turned the pb around. It was fixed in an OS update.
    12-30-11 08:42 PM
    Download Photo Editor Ultimate before Dec 31 for free from BB APP World onto your phone and you can rotate your photo's on our phone to correct the orientation.
    beemaabeemababy and bbvj like this.
    12-30-11 09:15 PM
    Download Photo Editor Ultimate before Dec 31 for free from BB APP World onto your phone and you can rotate your photo's on our phone to correct the orientation.
    Sorry for going off-topic...

Is there a list of all the free apps that rim is giving away. I'm sure it was in some email or other...... I guess with 1 day left.
    12-30-11 10:06 PM
    Downloading now........ THANKS!!!

12-30-11 10:07 PM
    guess the moral of the story, dont let friends use camera incorrectly to get sideways/upsidedown photos. i have this problem with my wife, she thinks that you use new digital camera like an old 35mm (WRONG) just point and shoot, crop on PC/laptop when done, really bugs me to have to "rotate" half the photos when cropping, saving for slide show.
    12-31-11 08:14 AM
    Well, my Canon S70's orientation sensor seems to occasionally stick so Portrait images will show up on their side depending on the viewer program. I did find software that allows me to "fix" the tag inside the photo so that the orientation is correct.

But I'm not sure that there is a STANDARD way to hold a camera when shooting a portrait image and may depend on the handedness of the shooter??? Do you turn it clockwise or counterclockwise?
    12-31-11 10:13 AM
    It's not the fix you're looking for but you can easily rotate and resize pictures in the app Scrapbook
    12-31-11 10:27 AM
    You could try using irfanview.
    What is irfanview? I couldn't find it on AppWorld or anywhere. Would like to give it a try...
    12-31-11 04:56 PM
    guess the moral of the story, dont let friends use camera incorrectly to get sideways/upsidedown photos. i have this problem with my wife, she thinks that you use new digital camera like an old 35mm (WRONG) just point and shoot, crop on PC/laptop when done, really bugs me to have to "rotate" half the photos when cropping, saving for slide show.
    Hahahaha! This made me lol! A 5 day holiday with my friends equated to about 1000 photos. i found that about 200 or so had to be rotated which is quite annoying.
    12-31-11 05:02 PM
    What is irfanview? I couldn't find it on AppWorld or anywhere. Would like to give it a try...
    It is a windows program. Incredibly useful as a picture viewer, organizer, etc. Also does some editing. You need the plug ins, also. I've been using it for years.

IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide

With the plugins, Lossless rotation is under options. I think that should work.

There is also something called exifpilot which edits stuff inside the jpg.
    12-31-11 05:30 PM
    Sorry for going off-topic...

Is there a list of all the free apps that rim is giving away. I'm sure it was in some email or other...... I guess with 1 day left.
    Go into appworld and click the giftbox...it will show all of the comp apps available....remember the 12/31/11 midnight deadline...
    12-31-11 10:31 PM
    its a bb phone app, not playbook app
    12-31-11 11:16 PM
    Hi

You can download and use image editing tool for your blackberry here.

free software download

Thanks
    02-04-12 02:01 AM
    A good example of just how poorly the PB UI was put together.
    08-28-13 10:35 AM
    A good example of just how poorly the PB UI was put together.
    It's a rather bad example, if you ask me.
    08-28-13 11:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD